Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

And what kind of people is that? If they're being cruel to the chickens, of course you can regulate that.

The type who don't clean the coop at a frequency that keeps it from smelling awful, and just piles the poo poo in a corner of the yard when they do clean it, causing the general area to smell for blocks around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

The Sexual Shiite posted:

I'm anti-chickens in town because I've lived near the kind of people who shouldn't keep chickens in town, and there's not a good way to regulate it other than bans.

Jacksonville has an urban chicken keeping program where you need to take classes and hold a licence for 5 hens in a non Rural Residential housing area. If you are reported for chicken keeping and do not have this licence, you are fined and the birds must be removed.

quote:

Ordinance 2015-337-E which creates a new Section 656.422 of the Zoning Code entitled “backyard hens in certain residential zoning districts.” Residents of the City may remember that the City instituted a two-year pilot program in 2013 to determine the need for and public support of a permanent backyard hen program. The program has been deemed a success and the City is now creating a program for residents to maintain up to five backyard hens where they otherwise are not permitted. Residents will be required to obtain a permit, pay a one-time non-refundable fee of $25, and demonstrate successful completion of a chicken keeping seminar. Where the residential lot is over one acre, the owner may keep one additional chicken for each additional 21,780 square feet over one acre. The ordinance includes specific requirements with regard to the size, location, and screening of the hens’ coop. An opt-in provision has been provided for exempt neighborhoods and an opt-out provision has been provided for all other neighborhoods.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Hambilderberglar posted:

Sorry, I realise this isn't the politics of urban planning thread, and maybe this is some cultural thing I'm misunderstanding, but why exactly do city residents have to be "convinced" of anything? If reducing the amount of cars on the street is a priority, just build all of your new structures as multi-unit dwellings with 1 spot for every 2 units. Of course a bunch of people are going to cry about it but that seems like an excellent opportunity for the city government to tell them to shut the gently caress up?

Unfortunately, the people crying about it are wealthy donors and people with too much time on their hands.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Hambilderberglar posted:

Of course a bunch of people are going to cry about it but that seems like an excellent opportunity for the city government to tell them to shut the gently caress up?

You are vastly overestimating the amount of spine our city governments have.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Suspect Bucket posted:

Jacksonville has an urban chicken keeping program where you need to take classes and hold a licence for 5 hens in a non Rural Residential housing area. If you are reported for chicken keeping and do not have this licence, you are fined and the birds must be removed.

I'm not in Jacksonville.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The Sexual Shiite posted:

I'm not in Jacksonville.

Congratulations, I guess?

That has gently caress all to do with what he said.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
In her unfinished basement - where her kids have been playing for almost two months - Smith found out a week ago, all the I-joists painted green in the ceiling were coating with a Flak Jacket coating with formaldehyde-based resin, meant for fire protection.

But after the formula changed, the formaldehyde wasn’t bound well enough and people started complaining about a smell.

“Awful. It’s a nightmare for a new homeowner. It's just something we didn’t plan on,” Smith said.

Seattle-based company Weyerhaeuser makes building materials and said 2,200 basements have this problem-coating. It was manufactured after December 1 of last year but the company wouldn’t say how many in Colorado

http://www.9news.com/news/investigations/moving-made-complicated-by-formaldehyde/460095680

oooppps

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

ohgodwhat posted:

Unfortunately, the people crying about it are wealthy donors and people with too much time on their hands.
Also people's intuitions about what improves parking & traffic(and what impact specific parking/traffic structures have on commerce) have basically zero relation to reality, and convincing them they're wrong is a bitch.

Trying to make roads safer by making them wider and straighter just leads to people driving faster & more recklessly, parking mandates waste a lot of space and make property more expensive, car-centric planning in general makes places less pleasant to live in(and rarely makes them more pleasant to drive in, counterintuitively enough), etc.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Haifisch posted:

Also people's intuitions about what improves parking & traffic(and what impact specific parking/traffic structures have on commerce) have basically zero relation to reality, and convincing them they're wrong is a bitch.

Trying to make roads safer by making them wider and straighter just leads to people driving faster & more recklessly, parking mandates waste a lot of space and make property more expensive, car-centric planning in general makes places less pleasant to live in(and rarely makes them more pleasant to drive in, counterintuitively enough), etc.

Traffic engineering and planning is like pushing a huge-rear end rock up a hill, only every time it falls to the bottom a different moron comes up to you and you have to listen to his lovely opinions on how you need to 'lift with your legs' or 'push it up from the other side'.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Traffic engineering and planning is like pushing a huge-rear end rock up a hill, only every time it falls to the bottom a different moron comes up to you and you have to listen to his lovely opinions on how you need to 'lift with your legs' or 'push it up from the other side'.

hey as someone who walks down the street i know a thing or two about proper traffic flow mister ivory tower traffic engineer

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

I think I found the "classy" version of that house with all the mannequins

The shower tiger is there to remind you that this house was built in 1966.

AMERICA

$250k for a 5BR 4BA 6500sf house isn't bad but apparently it needs new HVAC and it's probably crumbling from the inside and riddled with asbestos.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Youth Decay posted:

$250k for a 5BR 4BA 6500sf house isn't bad but apparently it needs new HVAC and it's probably crumbling from the inside and riddled with asbestos.

The entire house, but that image in particular, feels like being inside a coffin with the lid closed and hearing the thud of dirt above your face.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Youth Decay posted:

The shower tiger is there to remind you that this house was built in 1966.

AMERICA

just because you organize it nicely doesn't mean it's not a hoard

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Youth Decay posted:

This room is weird, it's just off somehow. Good setting for a horror story.

edit : just noticed those asbestos floor tiles, yikes.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

value-brand cereal posted:

The entire house, but that image in particular, feels like being inside a coffin with the lid closed and hearing the thud of dirt above your face.

Yep. When I look closely there's enough scale items to convince me they're normal sized rooms but everything else makes it feel like the ceiling ends at shoulder height.

Is it the camera or are those doors 6 foot wide apiece?

That room definitely has ghosts that'll force you to play chess with real people.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Lime Tonics posted:

This room is weird, it's just off somehow. Good setting for a horror story.

edit : just noticed those asbestos floor tiles, yikes.

It's because it has crazy low ceilings and no windows. Unless that weird stained glass thing is a window, in which case it's weirdly positioned in the wall.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
There's definite camera distortion happening. Notice how everything looks squat vertically and stretched horizontally. They're trying to make the rooms look bigger but instead are making them look like tombs.

Where are the windows in this house? I see windows on the outside but, like, none in the pictures.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Bonster posted:

There's definite camera distortion happening. Notice how everything looks squat vertically and stretched horizontally. They're trying to make the rooms look bigger but instead are making them look like tombs.

Where are the windows in this house? I see windows on the outside but, like, none in the pictures.

Why would you have windows in your rape/kill dungeon?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Proteus Jones posted:

Congratulations, I guess?

That has gently caress all to do with what he said.

Hey now, maybe he's sad he's not in this southern utopia paradise BOLD CITY, WHERE FLORIDA BEGINS

I almost kept a straight face typing that.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Youth Decay posted:

If this is the alterative result for amateurs, I suddenly understand the HDR photo trend. The house is awful, but it can't be as bad as the photos make it look.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Ashcans posted:

It's because it has crazy low ceilings and no windows. Unless that weird stained glass thing is a window, in which case it's weirdly positioned in the wall.

Now I know what it reminds me of, it's a level from the first thief game, that weird house level.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Jaded Burnout posted:

Is it the camera or are those doors 6 foot wide apiece?

That's a very common real estate picture technique: stretching pictures horizontally to make the rooms look bigger.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

ohgodwhat posted:

More importantly, in many cities, city planning commissions have to have public hearings before approving projects and they tend to listen to whoever shouts the loudest. NIMBYism is a real thing and it's a huge problem to getting new development done, here. Many planning commissioners are elected, the rest are typically appointed by elected officials, and small very noisy groups of people can be really effective at blocking poo poo.

Just google for "residents block new development" and you'll get thousands of hits.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Leperflesh posted:

More importantly, in many cities, city planning commissions have to have public hearings before approving projects and they tend to listen to whoever shouts the loudest. NIMBYism is a real thing and it's a huge problem to getting new development done, here. Many planning commissioners are elected, the rest are typically appointed by elected officials, and small very noisy groups of people can be really effective at blocking poo poo.

Just google for "residents block new development" and you'll get thousands of hits.

The flip side of this is that without community members speaking up, zoning boards tend to be fairly willing to rubber stamp anything that'll increase tax revenue, which means that developers get away with buying up three or four adjacent single-family lots and cramming as many townhomes as possible on every square inch of land.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Coasterphreak posted:

developers get away with buying up three or four adjacent single-family lots and cramming as many townhomes as possible on every square inch of land.

THIS.

In my line of work, I see that constantly. Four or five houses with decent sized lots getting bought up and then cramming 50-60 townhouses on them.
In fairness, a lot of the houses are in pretty lovely shape, but some look (from the outside anyway) to be pretty nice.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Sounds like inefficient lots being replaced with denser development to increase housing stock.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Yeah, the alternative is more sprawl.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Places for people to live? Ugh, what about my aesthetic preferences?

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

THIS.

In my line of work, I see that constantly. Four or five houses with decent sized lots getting bought up and then cramming 50-60 townhouses on them.
In fairness, a lot of the houses are in pretty lovely shape, but some look (from the outside anyway) to be pretty nice.

Seattle.txt

I weep for my hometown because of this.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I'm excited for more higher density housing in my hometown (Silicon Valley). The "traditional" one-story strip malls with a tire shop and a dirty parking lot are shameful. but it's always luxury condos designed for housemates, not families, with lots of fluffy green stuff instead of more parking spaces. Starting at 1.3 million ~~

A Sekisui Heim got clipped together down the block today. Here's a video of a similar house from the same company, 4 hours sped into 1 minute.
https://youtu.be/kesT4_WHitI

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I wish more quaint single family detached homes in and around Seattle proper would hurry up and get loving bulldozed already and replaced with some actual loving urban density before the sprawl that's already consumed everything from Tumwater to Marysville and out past Issaquah gets even more out of control, especially considering how expensive it's getting.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

hailthefish posted:

I wish more quaint single family detached homes in and around Seattle proper would hurry up and get loving bulldozed already and replaced with some actual loving urban density before the sprawl that's already consumed everything from Tumwater to Marysville and out past Issaquah gets even more out of control, especially considering how expensive it's getting.

a 'character' house on my way to work that was in a great location but an asbestos laden shitheap sold for way cheap and i was hoping they'd at least make a suite or something since housing, while cheap, is still an issue here. but nope, coat of paint and rent it into the ground singe-family-plus-wasted-space for another decade seems to be the plan.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

oh i almost forgot about this since i y'know, declined to purchase the house.

so in the listing pictures, the ceiling looked kinda bowed. i figured it was the real estate agent's terrible lens and/or terrible photo processing, since nothing has cracks and nothing looks hosed up.

get there... yeah, it's deflecting 2" at least in the center. is there a normal person explanation for that or were they hoping nobody would notice?

also shown: real estate agent attempting to re-direct attention to the scenery (this is my pic from when i viewed it)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Did it give when you pushed?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

SoundMonkey posted:

oh i almost forgot about this since i y'know, declined to purchase the house.

so in the listing pictures, the ceiling looked kinda bowed. i figured it was the real estate agent's terrible lens and/or terrible photo processing, since nothing has cracks and nothing looks hosed up.

get there... yeah, it's deflecting 2" at least in the center. is there a normal person explanation for that or were they hoping nobody would notice?

also shown: real estate agent attempting to re-direct attention to the scenery (this is my pic from when i viewed it)

Obviously, when you turn on the ceiling fan it pushes the ceiling straight again. It is a deliberate feature.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Did it give when you pushed?

it looked... so normal. like it was SUPPOSED to be that way. i went back and looked at the room again after i took that pic in case my phone was making it look weird too. either it happened real slow or (more likely) they just touched it up enough to sell.

which it didn't, after 160-ish days on market without a price change it was de-listed by the seller.

and to give you an idea of how much of a piece of poo poo it must have been, it was almost the exact same price as this delightful little 2 bed / 1 bath on a medium size lot that i did end up getting, but had 2 more bedrooms, 1 more bathroom, an acre and a half of lot, and a detached 3-bay fully finished garage with 240V power and water. similar distance to amenities. and they couldn't sell it.

e: the garage was even down a separate little lane about 100' from the house and had good external lighting, you could have rented it to a mechanic for half your mortgage payment

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

My guess is something way heavy was up there. What room would have been above it and did it have any problems? Would you roll down into the center if you sat down?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Why the gently caress didn't you go upstairs and take a picture of the sunken bathtub?

e: Oh wait the bathroom was probably too full of women for you to get in :doh:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

FCKGW posted:

Sounds like inefficient lots being replaced with denser development to increase housing stock.

Efficient use would be building an apartment block so you could have room for some kind of green space/courtyard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Why the gently caress didn't you go upstairs and take a picture of the sunken bathtub?

e: Oh wait the bathroom was probably too full of women for you to get in :doh:

there was... gently caress.

there was no upstairs

what in the gently caress was that

edit: or rather that WAS the upstairs, the other bath and two beds were in the finished basement (it was built half-in-a-hill style)