Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Friedman make awesome stuff and I love what they do, but for that price bracket you have a shitload of options, not sure I'd end up with one.
All depends on what you want to achieve of course but there's a whole world of amps out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Wark Say posted:

I have a Soldano SLO 100 that I got for like 500 bucks

:stonk:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Yea spend the money on a much less expensive amp, like an Egnater or something, and get a BE-OD. :)

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
On the one hand, the dude that sold it to me is filthy stinking rich, so for him the loss was probably like "Eh, chump change". On the other hand, it never fails to impress me how some people dismiss a ton of things just because of relatively minor/superficial things being off.

At the same time, though: Yoink! :mmmsmug:

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Seconded.

I have a buddy who plays a lot of really heavy high-gain stuff. He has an Ampeg 1/2 stack (The 502 I think, the one Paul Gilbert was associated with for awhile? I want it), and Marshall VM 1/2 stack (I want it, too) but he will not stop gushing about his Engle 1/2-stack (I haven't met it yet). I've tried to convince him that you can sound crunchier by using less gain and playing with more strength, and he listens to a degree. He brags that that Engle has so many channels and he never uses the "ultra gain" channel but it's a humblebrag about how much gain his amp has.

It's just funny because we can't have a conversation about playing without that coming up.

He worships that Engle.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I think I'm eventually gonna buy a rect-o-verb 25 or mark 5 25 because they're basically my number 4 amp and I know it, it's mostly just a matter of actually finding a place I can a/b them (I'm probably going to have to drive the 70 or so miles to the nearest guitar center :rip: )

Still faffing about with beer brewing equipment for a bit, probably getting another glass carboy for secondary fermenting and then it's just periodically buying grains yeast and hops

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I've gone through a few Engls, including a couple of 4-channel models, and I believe him. There's generally way more gain than necessary, and they don't sound best with it maxed. They're tight amps but not really my style of playing. Still really fun to gently caress around with.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Chomp chomp chomp...We have the legendary Magic Beans
Goon Made Wallets
Quick question.

I busted the 6" speaker on my small 5f2a champ. I'm getting a new speaker. (Prob a Jensen c6v which comes in 4ohm or 8ohm)

I have two outputs on the amp. 4ohm and 8ohm.

Since I could go with either a 4ohm or an 8ohm, which one would let me hook up an additional speaker via a cab, and what ohms would that second speaker have to be?

I'm pretty sure two 8ohms would be fine for a 4 ohm amp but I'm confused about the two speaker outs of my amp. Not sure if it's an either or thing or if I use both at once.

philkop fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jul 31, 2017

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
You could go two 8 ohms wired down to 4 ohms

Or two 4 ohms wired up to 8ohm when connected via switching jacks.

Either way, really. Just involves a "parallel/series" switch you can usually buy premade to slot into your cabinet.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

Sockington posted:

You could go two 8 ohms wired down to 4 ohms

Or two 4 ohms wired up to 8ohm when connected via switching jacks.

Either way, really. Just involves a "parallel/series" switch you can usually buy premade to slot into your cabinet.

Gotcha. So either of these methods involve a single output jack from my amp split between two speakers in parallel or series.

I was wondering if I could leave the stock 6" connected via the 8ohm output and plug a single 12" cab into the 4ohm output.

philkop fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 31, 2017

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

I've played ENGLs with the gain between 2 and 3 and it's basically in JCM800 territory at that level

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007

philkop posted:

Gotcha. So either of these methods involve a single output jack from my amp split between two speakers in parallel or series.

I was wondering if I could leave the stock 6" connected via the 8ohm output and plug a single 12" cab into the 4ohm output.

Don't do that unless the outputs are in parallel, which I doubt they are.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Shugojin posted:

I think I'm eventually gonna buy a rect-o-verb 25 or mark 5 25 because they're basically my number 4 amp and I know it, it's mostly just a matter of actually finding a place I can a/b them (I'm probably going to have to drive the 70 or so miles to the nearest guitar center :rip: )

Still faffing about with beer brewing equipment for a bit, probably getting another glass carboy for secondary fermenting and then it's just periodically buying grains yeast and hops

I've never used the Mark V but mark IV's are great. You have to read the manual back to front first though.

One tip: the mid and bass control would be better labeled "mud" and "low mud" and should to be dialed in carefully then left alone. Then use the graphic EQ to notch out the bark in the midrange and make any actual tone adjustments.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

philkop posted:

Can anyone help me identify what this amp might sound like from the components? How many watts it might be roughly?

Might get a deal on it. The amp isn't working but might be a simple fix and either way, I like the cab + chassis alone for the price I might get it for anyways. Its a "Pepco Arc" made in Canada.

Just wondering if its similar to any fender amps or other common designs.

It's a single ended amp with a really tiny output transformer.

Wattage is going to be determined by a lot of things- plate voltage, triode/pentode configuration, bias, etc.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

jwh posted:

It's a single ended amp with a really tiny output transformer.

Wattage is going to be determined by a lot of things- plate voltage, triode/pentode configuration, bias, etc.

Ended up loosing out on it. Would have snagged it for around $100 though.

Too bad. The 10" cab was pretty enough to justify it for me.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
Getting a sunn 1000s for 400 buckaroonos :dance:

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Smash it Smash hit posted:

Getting a sunn 1000s for 400 buckaroonos :dance:

That's cool. Unfortunately 6AN8 tubes are getting harder to find. I'd maybe buy a couple, if you can find them, just in case.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

jwh posted:

That's cool. Unfortunately 6AN8 tubes are getting harder to find. I'd maybe buy a couple, if you can find them, just in case.

I will look into that what does that run the reverb tank?

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
Or are they preamp?

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

it's a combination pentode/triode tube that's used in these amps as a gain stage and a phase splitter (cathodyne). Basically you have this very high gain high-headroom pentode strapped to a very balanced phase inverter (well, right up until it is overdriven and sounds awful). No one is manufacturing dual pentode/triode tubes anymore.

Evidently they were used because they were widely available at the time, and also because you could attach the triode grid directly to the pentode's anode, bypassing the need for a coupling capacitor (every penny counts, apparently).

Early Sunn amps were basically just Dynaco power amps with Conrad Sundholm's tube preamps. It's a long, fascinating story, really: https://www.talkbass.com/threads/the-sunn-story.1065595/

Also, Conrad died in February of this year, which is sad.

edit: Woops, that was a different Conrad Sundholm. Although Conrad Amps doesn't seem to be in business anymore.

jwh fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Aug 2, 2017

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
I'll grab a few backups they seem to be pretty cheap. This particular amp is going to prob need cap job and a three prong jawn but it's got all the old tubes and still runs from reverb to trem so 400 bucks I had to pull the trigger could easily flip it for twice I paid

Thanks for the heads up with all the info will read that thread when I can!

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

I'll grab a few backups they seem to be pretty cheap. This particular amp is going to prob need cap job and a three prong jawn but it's got all the old tubes and still runs from reverb to trem so 400 bucks I had to pull the trigger could easily flip it for twice I paid

Thanks for the heads up with all the info will read that thread when I can!

That's a good deal for $400. The 1000S was only around from between '67 and '70, and the general consensus is that the original Conrad Sunn's were the best, before he sold the company.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
I'll post some pictures when I get my hands on it, it's still on police wait to make sure it wasn't stolen. I am really stoked on it. I always wanted a model t figure this is the closest I will get

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Congrats on the 1000S but imo the best Sunns are solid state

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
I have a concert lead too 😎

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
Heard the reverb on it sounds p bad couldn't hear it much at low volume going to crank it before I pay bucks for it almost got bit on the but by that from a pawn shop twin

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

I have a concert lead too 😎
:hfive:

and a 215B for bass.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

FancyMike posted:

and a 215B for bass.

loving look at that

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

loving look at that
The 412L is big and sounds good with a baritone.

I should really sell some poo poo there's no way I'll ever take it all to a gig. Lately I've been practicing/writing with stereo bass (4003) or baritone into the Beta + 215B and this for the top end (212 is v30s):

Thanks to the Guitar Center used site online the two big Sunn cabs were cheap as hell ($100/150 I think) with free shipping.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

FancyMike posted:

and a 215B for bass.

The 412L are rad I will take a picture next time I practice of my jawn. Is that beta from a combo? Almost picked one of those up from a pawnshop by knew I was going to rehouse it because I am an aesthetic junkie

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

The 412L are rad I will take a picture next time I practice of my jawn. Is that beta from a combo? Almost picked one of those up from a pawnshop by knew I was going to rehouse it because I am an aesthetic junkie

It's from a combo and I will build a cabinet for it. (got it two years or so ago and it's been taken out a bunch as is)

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
Word yeah Sunn stuff rules for sure. I have a red knob concert lead want to get a silver at some point but heck they go for more than I am getting the 1000s for

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

FancyMike posted:

stereo bass (4003)

This is good and right to do.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

Wark Say posted:

They sound great, but I don't know if I'd pay almost 3k (or more) for one head these days. Like, most heads that I still have (sold a bunch of heads and combos that never got any use when I semi-retired earlier this year) are mostly things that I bought off from people who thought the amps were toast. Hell, I have a Soldano SLO 100 that I got for like 500 bucks, all because the guy thought that the guts of the amp had fried themselves (a tube did, taking the tube socket with it, but the cost of replacing it was laughable compared to how much that loving head still costs, even used).

So, if you can afford it and like that "Marshall, but ballsier" sound, go right ahead.

peter gabriel posted:

Friedman make awesome stuff and I love what they do, but for that price bracket you have a shitload of options, not sure I'd end up with one.
All depends on what you want to achieve of course but there's a whole world of amps out there.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Yea spend the money on a much less expensive amp, like an Egnater or something, and get a BE-OD. :)

Thanks for the feedback (lol) gentlemen, I do really appreciate it. I thought i'd ask since i've got an associate who swears by his. (and it does sound pretty fantastic)

I'm thinking i'll probably end up getting a used JCM 800 when i'm better situated.. I've always preferred Marshalls and i've always really liked the ones i've played when i've had a chance to play them. Plus they suit the kind of stuff I want to play. Anyway, thanks again!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Durandal1707 posted:

Thanks for the feedback (lol) gentlemen, I do really appreciate it. I thought i'd ask since i've got an associate who swears by his. (and it does sound pretty fantastic)

I'm thinking i'll probably end up getting a used JCM 800 when i'm better situated.. I've always preferred Marshalls and i've always really liked the ones i've played when i've had a chance to play them. Plus they suit the kind of stuff I want to play. Anyway, thanks again!

A JCM 800 is a hugely safe bet and a great amp, you could throw a Friedman overdrive pedal at it and get there that way

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Durandal1707 posted:

There are several iterations of the JCM 800- choose wisely.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I've always had a weird fascination with valves and how they are made.
They seem to come from a military cold war era, the eastern bloc, old school Russia. They intrigue me in ways that Chernobyl and the cold war era do.

Anyway, I finally found a video of production of valves (For Electro Harmonix) in Russia and it's everything I hoped it would be. Here is the Expo-Pul factory in Saratov, Russia in full swing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0MNN-KFv9Y

Making valves on old rear end machines with no health and safety. Sometimes it's nice to meet your heroes!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

peter gabriel posted:

I've always had a weird fascination with valves and how they are made.
They seem to come from a military cold war era, the eastern bloc, old school Russia. They intrigue me in ways that Chernobyl and the cold war era do.

Anyway, I finally found a video of production of valves (For Electro Harmonix) in Russia and it's everything I hoped it would be. Here is the Expo-Pul factory in Saratov, Russia in full swing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0MNN-KFv9Y

Making valves on old rear end machines with no health and safety. Sometimes it's nice to meet your heroes!

Great video, but this should have been the soundtrack:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaC0vNLdLvY&t=75s

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets
Amp is super loving hot since I got a new speaker. (I think. maybe I'm just noticing it more and worrying about it.)

5f2a champ style amp that has a 4 ohm and 8 ohm output.

I busted the speaker in it and had to buy a new one so I opted for an 8 ohm to make it easier to run a cab in the future. The old speaker was 15 watts/ 4 ohm, and plugged into the 4 ohm output.

I plugged the new 8ohm 20 watt speaker into the 8 ohm output and the amp seems to get much much hotter after using for only like 20 minutes. Its too hot to hold my hand on.

Does this make any kind of sense?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
Too hot to hold the amp?