Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

cool av posted:

- enterprise? you're selling software that costs many times what a windows license costs and big companies all use windows anyway

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

dangit my macbook air is too old to run metal!!! :mad: how am i going to redraw my screens acceptably now

Gul Banana
Nov 28, 2003

actually, .net core is good and i'm looking forward to when my pet issues are fixed so i can actually use it

Gul Banana
Nov 28, 2003

for one thing, it woulda obviated that dumb telerik issue since you can just install it sxs with the application

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol @ all these poor rear end Linux users.

windows is great and asp.net is great and if you're still wasting youre time on Linux and p-langs you should probably grow up.

crap nerd
May 24, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

dangit my macbook air is too old to run metal!!! :mad: how am i going to redraw my screens acceptably now

if you write a dumb as hell opengl renderer that just renders a textured quad to the screen you can use glTexSubImage2D to set update the texture values fairly fast

crap nerd
May 24, 2008
then you can spend ages writing glsl for some dumb crt effects

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

carry on then posted:

can't speak to javafx but swing has weird limitations that make it sub ideal

and swt is situationally nicer but baroque as gently caress and still requires separate jars per platform, which is ibm.txt

javafx is awesome, and also open source. i don't know how they're loving up .net core but i do laugh when the ms brigade is like "write all your apps in c# now! it's cross platform and you don't have to touch java!" as if a host of better jvm langs didn't already exist, plus the out and out superior java standard libs and ecosystem

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

crap nerd posted:

if you write a dumb as hell opengl renderer that just renders a textured quad to the screen you can use glTexSubImage2D to set update the texture values fairly fast

I have an array of ARGB32 pixels already so I bet this wouldn’t be much work to wire up to an NSView

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

played with treaps a bit. They're cool clever data structures.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

uncurable mlady posted:

windows servers are the worst goddamned thing in the world

:yeah:

mystes
May 31, 2006

Isn't the real reason that .net core exists in the first place that even Microsoft doesn't want to have to use Windows for Azure?

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Shaggar posted:

lol @ all these poor rear end Linux users.

windows is great and asp.net is great and if you're still wasting youre time on Linux and p-langs you should probably grow up.

yes i love babysitting my bespoke windows servers and keeping hot spares because they take forever to boot

sure is great running a cloud environment like it's from 2000 let me tell you

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
windows boots faster than Linux, not that boot time matters in a server.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

mystes posted:

Isn't the real reason that .net core exists in the first place that even Microsoft doesn't want to have to use Windows for Azure?

possibly. but they also made windows nano server which is supposed to be a sane version for cloud use. but they also made mssql for linux which iirc is a straight port, doesn't rely on net core or anything. but they also invested on windows docker so you could in principle containerise your exes and dlls. but they also made reactxp to appeal to cross platform js development. but they also bought xamarin to invest in a totally different cross platform framework.

the charitable reading is that they're such a massive organisation that they can afford to try many different plans at the same time. the cynical reading is that picture comparing various megacorps' org charts where the ms one is a bunch of leaves pointing guns at each other

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

microsoft's different divisions will eat each other but maybe we'll get some more cool c# features in the time being

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Condiv posted:

javafx is awesome

well it would be if it wasn't unfinished and unlikely ever to be finished. also if it didn't use a particularly bad implementation of css, which is dreadful anyway but particularly so in javafx.

there are bugs for basic features that have been untouched for years. the only new effort that's gone into it recently has been to try to limit the number of major third party libraries that jigsaw will break. which would have been all of them, because so much functionality simply didn't exist in public apis. I think there still isn't any way to get font metrics even.

trust me, I'm maintaining a javafx program right now and there is barely a day that goes by that i don't wish it was swing instead.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

cool av posted:

- enterprise? you're selling software that costs many times what a windows license costs and big companies all use windows anyway

well, yes and no

all big companies have a non-zero number of windows servers, it's true, but they are typically used only for active directory. i am not kidding. often that is the only use of windows in the enterprise.

it's also normal for IT divisions to be split into parts along OS lines. unix and mainframe for "business critical" computing, windows for desktop and active directory. you can guess which one has the budget, the seat in the boardroom, and the ear of the ceo. (tip: it's not the mouthbreathing windows guys.)

tying your product to windows means fencing it into an information technology ghetto from which there is no escape. your salespeople will never, ever develop a lead inside of a technology organisation that's worth any money, because decision-makers inside a windows team aren't worth anything.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Shaggar posted:

windows boots faster than Linux, not that boot time matters in a server.

lol no it doesn't and boot time absolutely matters when you use the cloud. it's super rare that we have servers last longer than a few weeks before a new version of a service is released and we tear them down and spin up new ones

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
as a follow-up: the reason windows guys are mouthbreathers is the division problem mentioned earlier. anyone with a loving brain can see that the ticket to increased salary, increased responsibility, and a more prestigious role inside the company is to get the gently caress away from windows

typically, the only people left inside of the active directory and desktop teams are people too stupid or useless to get transferred to anything else

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
I have bad opinions- 3 minutes to start up a linux vm in the cloud isn't a problem.

edit: extra bad opinions:

MononcQc posted:

played with treaps a bit. They're cool clever data structures.

What sort of programming do you do where data structures matter? I've been working in high level languages for my entire career so I've only run into algorithms as a bottleneck when it was literally a problem of stupidly nesting loops.

Pythagoras a trois fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jul 30, 2017

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Blinkz0rz posted:

lol no it doesn't and boot time absolutely matters when you use the cloud. it's super rare that we have servers last longer than a few weeks before a new version of a service is released and we tear them down and spin up new ones

windows definitely boots faster than Linux unless you're talking about 2008 or something. 2016 is fast as hell. also boot time shouldn't matter if your load balancing is set up correctly.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Shaggar posted:

windows definitely boots faster than Linux unless you're talking about 2008 or something. 2016 is fast as hell. also boot time shouldn't matter if your load balancing is set up correctly.

lol shaggar it's impossible for you to admit you're wrong isn't it?

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

i'm sure he'll admit he's wrong if you just keep arguing

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Blinkz0rz posted:

lol shaggar it's impossible for you to admit you're wrong isn't it?

windows 2016 boots in under 30 seconds. ive never seen a Linux boot anywhere close to that

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

CommunistPancake posted:

i'm sure he'll admit he's wrong if you just keep arguing

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Shaggar posted:

windows 2016 boots in under 30 seconds. ive never seen a Linux boot anywhere close to that

lol no it doesn't

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah it does

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Shaggar posted:

yeah it does

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com...lation-options/

actually core and full takes 85 and 135 seconds respectively until i/o settles down. that doesn't account for provisioning either.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

all big companies have a non-zero number of windows servers, it's true, but they are typically used only for active directory. i am not kidding. often that is the only use of windows in the enterprise.

lol wrong.

the only linux i ever saw was blackbox appliances. windows is easy to admin and patch en masse so its never going to disappear from enterprise servers ever.

ps: please tell me your patching plan for your linux servers and how will they *not* break your lob apps.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
a lot of computer janitors outing themselves in this thread right now

feels pretty good that we still live in a society where people are free to be who they are :unsmith:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

FamDav posted:

a lot of computer janitors outing themselves in this thread right now

feels pretty good that we still live in a society where people are free to be who they are :unsmith:

xd

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

lol wrong.

the only linux i ever saw was blackbox appliances. windows is easy to admin and patch en masse so its never going to disappear from enterprise servers ever.

ps: please tell me your patching plan for your linux servers and how will they *not* break your lob apps.

youre an idiot. do you think AWS is full of windows servers or something lol

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

pram posted:

umm... they said enterprise servers dumbass. the kind you find in a DC

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

i have some bad news for you, friend

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
im the cloud windows server that is ready to roll in 30 seconds after power on including domain join and application start

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

lol

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

pram posted:

the people who own windows on aws are p cool dudes and theres some interesting work there but there is no amount of money that would convince me to touch windows on the regular

Cheekio posted:

I have bad opinions- 3 minutes to start up a linux vm in the cloud isn't a problem.

it really is, because multi-minute startups push complexity up the stack for infrastructure that runs on top of it. driving down inefficiency here will enable new business cases that were economically unfeasible with warm pooling and will also simplify the design of existing systems that do pool resources.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

ugh how the gently caress does glVertexAttribPointer work

i got an NSOpenGLView to display in my window and clear to black at least but how to polygon :mad:

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

cool av posted:

.net not being cross-platform is such a non-issue for a large segment of development

- website? hosting OS doesn't really matter, unless your margins are razor thin
- (desktop) game? maybe you'll reach the 4 gamers running macs

Embedded? What is 'operating system'

• Locked thread