Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

Once we are at Japan's fabled no SSB pulls you'll be looking six months ahead again and the power creep is incredible, why would you pull on a banner with only four 6*s when Japan's got 7*s and 6*s with the lone BSB being the loser price. This keeps happening. People were skipping 2nd anniversary because EXTREME FEST was looking so hot. Then people were skipping "Extreme Fest" because 30th is looking insane. Now we're saying 30th doesn't look so hot compared to OK banner.

Pull for your favorites, friend.

I pretty much pull when there's a favorable combination of:

(1) No dupes
(2) Reasonably strong banner, maybe with a meta-changer
(3) Synergy-weak realm
(4) Characters I like

So going after rikku USB was a no-brainer since I had relatively poor realm synergy, I like FFX alright, I had no dupes, and top to bottom it ranged from "alright" to "fuckyeah". I didn't get rikku USB, but Lulu's USB and BSB and Rkku BSB + LMR makes those two characters A-team potential out of nowhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

There are a grand total of two characters I am pulling until I get their USBs and budgeting accordingly:

Edge and Shadow

Luckily both banners have some amazing prizes besides those specific USBs (Rosa USB, Pecil BSB2, Setzer USB + LMR, Shadow BSB + LMR)

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

bilperkins2 posted:

There's 7* relics now?

If there aren't 7* base relics yet they will probably be introduced by the end of the year considering the game's age and rate of power creep.

jebeebus
May 2, 2005

FF7F00 Cocos Nucifera
Morus : Passiflora Edulis
Cherimoya : Castanea
Synsepalum+(Citrus x limon)
Monstera : L. chinensis

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Your hones are super low. You may be better off with lower * abilities that you have more hones for. It looks like you'll run out of gas before you can use any of your soul breaks. You've also got Ramza, Fran, and Tyro who are all more or less support type heroes with only Jecht bringing damage. You should try using Yda's burst, as it will be a lot more useful than Fran who only has 2 hones each of the fire sharpshooter skills.

Otherwise, you are still waiting for Tyro's RM to drop. In the meantime, you should work on getting Cloud to 65 and getting Mako Might RM. Those will drastically increase your ability to tackle difficult content.

Banner 1 of the FF8 event is good for physical heroes. You have Shout, which means it'll be immediately useful for you. Seifer and Squall are very good characters.

Banner 2 is more mage oriented. You don't have a lot, so it would give you something for bosses who need to be fought with magic. On the other hand, it won't be as immediately useful. But Fujin, Rinoa, and Edea are all excellent.

Thanks, that made me realize a lot of things. Ended up doing an FF8 pull and got Seifer's USB and LM, woooo. At lvl.50 he's already matching Ramza's lvl.80 damage.

Are all RMs equipable by anyone?

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."

jebeebus posted:

Are all RMs equipable by anyone?

Yep!

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT
Record materias can be, but not all legend materia can be. Iirc, LM1 can be traded between characters (first legend materia from legend dive). LM2 and relic materia are stuck on that character.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Inge posted:

Iirc, LM1 can be traded between characters (first legend materia from legend dive).

Nope. Looking at Cloud and both his LS board LM are Cloud-only.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Inge posted:

Record materias can be, but not all legend materia can be. Iirc, LM1 can be traded between characters (first legend materia from legend dive). LM2 and relic materia are stuck on that character.

This was early misinformation due to an assumption with the translation. All LM1 and 2s as well as any LMR are character specific, no exceptions.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Nephrite posted:

OK USB1 - Party Haste, MAG/MND/RES +30%, Quickcast Magic 3, self EX Mode "Sage" (MAG+30% and small BLK dmg up)
OK USB2 - Party Haste, ATK +50%, Critical = 50% and self EX Mode "Ninja" (ATK+30%, shorten cast time with consecutive actions up to 8 stages)

Jesus those are ridiculous

They're the USB version of his BSB with all the buffs you'd expect of a USB. I guess at least they split it into 2 instead

I was thinking about this with how much I summon Cloud's USB for jump start battles - when do they get to stuff like Omnislash? Why is the game changing insanely broken Cloud USB the first limit break you earn in the game

Obviously less of an issue for the characters from other games where they just make up things for them to do

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's honestly pretty variable. Cloud's Omnislash, Squall's Lion Heart and random things like Quistis' Shockwave Pulsar and Penelo's Resplendence still aren't in the game. However you have things like Fran's Shatterheart being a Unique.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

They aren't likely to go with (m)any main character's ultimate moves because they have to make up poo poo afterwards, or it's because they know the game's in it's final cycle. Plus making up stuff and holding out on people just works well for them. :shrug:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Evil Fluffy posted:

They aren't likely to go with (m)any main character's ultimate moves because they have to make up poo poo afterwards, or it's because they know the game's in it's final cycle. Plus making up stuff and holding out on people just works well for them. :shrug:

A good portion of the main characters already have their ultimate moves actually. Zidane, Lightning, 2/3rds of the XII cast. The pre-VI cast don't really have ultimate moves so they're typically made up.

So it's really just Riot Blade, Omnislash, Lion Heart, Blitz Ace, and then a bunch of assorted characters' ultimate moves.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ApplesandOranges posted:

So it's really just Riot Blade, Omnislash, Lion Heart, Blitz Ace, and then a bunch of assorted characters' ultimate moves.

I actually decided, for lack of anything better to do, to run down the list.

About half of FF6 characters have their limit breaks/desperation attacks - Mirage Dive, Spinning Edge, and Saber Soul are Unique-tier, Shadow Fang and Red Card are SSBs, Star Prism and Punishing Meteor are BSBs. All that's left are the Figabros, Terra, Cyan and Mog.

They seem to have explicitly avoided including any of the Level 4 Limit Breaks from FF7, though there's an argument that Red XIII's BSB is his (Cosmo Canyon vs Cosmo Memory). Aside from that, Cloud is missing Meteorain, Barret is missing Mindblow, Aerith is missing Breath of the Earth, Red is missing Blood Fang and Earth Rave, and Vincent is missing everything but his first LB.

FF8 seems to have most of the commands in spirit, but a lot are lacking their absolute top-tier appearance. Wishing Star has shown up (Rinoa SSB1), as has Irvine's highest ammo (Hyper Sniper) and all of Seifer's Fire Cross options (including the ones the player can't usually access).

FF9 has most moves available to the cast, oddly enough seeming to avoid the weaker ones in an attempt to make SBs. The only thing they could concievably add for Zidane is Thievery, but since his SBs have mostly been based on his Trance skills instead of the normal ones, and Grand Lethal is his USB... well. Not much room to grow there.

Most of the FFX cast have their strongest overdrive options, save for Lulu (Fury mode is kind of like Angel Wing mode in that they sort of toss it in wherever), Tidus (everything but Blitz Ace), and, ironically enough, Seymour - his singular Overdrive isn't technically any of his SBs, though I suppose his default could be a mistranslation, similar to Red XIII BSB. Nobody cares about Kimahri enough to call any of his Blue Magic "ultimate", and let's be honest, Hyper Mighty G is absolutely the best thing to come out of Mix that wouldn't absolutely break FFRK in half to adapt. (Freedom X and Trio of 9999 are maybe a bit too ludicrous.)

Almost every FF12 Quickening is there, and in fact most of them had been cleared out before the BSB era even began; the two exceptions are Basch's and Penelo's Lv3 Quickenings (Flame Purge and Resplendence, respectively), though they make up for it by having multiple skills from Revenant Wings as SBs instead. A few of the Concurrences are SBs as well, though the strongest of those aren't about.

Vanille and Sazh are the only ones in the XIII realm missing their Full ATB Skills (even accounting for Serah and Noel); in Vanille's case in particular it's hard to see how they'd make Death a SB and also not have it be loving awful (See also: all of Seymour's SBs.) whereas Sazh's leans more towards damage and in turn doesn't fit what they've shaped him into in the game. Similarly, all of the XIII characters with Gestalt modes have them referenced in SBs except for Vanille. Again, giant missile salvos don't quite mesh with what they've done with her in FFRK.

Noctis's big move was his very first relic SB, which makes sense since S-E would want to sell more copies of XV than mythril pouches in FFRK.

A decent chunk of the Dissidia EX Modes are in either as the modes themselves (WoL's Class Change, Seph's Reunion, Exdeath's Power of the Void) or as the EX Bursts (OK's two USBs, Golbez's Twin Moon, Shantotto's Play Rough), though notably neither FF2 representative has their "big moves" and anything that was missing from the former lists is missing here too.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jul 30, 2017

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

KataraniSword posted:

FF9 has most moves available to the cast, oddly enough seeming to avoid the weaker ones in an attempt to make SBs. The only thing they could concievably add for Zidane is Thievery, but since his SBs have mostly been based on his Trance skills instead of the normal ones, and Grand Lethal is his USB... well. Not much room to grow there.

<1 year later>

Zidane Hyper Ultra Super Burst Soul Break = "Attack"

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy

HPanda posted:

<1 year later>

Zidane Hyper Ultra Super Burst Soul Break = "Attack"

"Ultra What's That?!"

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
To elaborate further on some of those games:

FFVIII has had all of their ultimate weapons already in the game, except for Squall and, oddly enough, Quistis (who hasn't had a new relic since her OSB quite some time ago). With the non-Squall characters having only 4-5 weapons each and the guests with only one, they've had to create a lot of 'new' weapons mostly consisting of reskins and unholy amalgamations (hi Axis Blade). In addition, Irvine and the two newest additions (Kiros and Ward) are now the only characters from the cast left without a 6* relic.

Zidane has one more 'powerful' move they could add until they start using things like 'True Shift Break': Reverse Gaia was his EX Burst in Dissidia. The 'ultimates' that are in FFRK so far are Zidane's Grand Lethal, Vivi's Doomsday (and his weapon the Mace of Zeus), Steiner's Excalibur II and Tin Armor (they've stopped using his Sword Art skills for a long while now and using his synergy with Vivi for his SBs), Eiko's Madeen (as part of the animation for Guardian Mog) and Freya's Dragon Crest. Freya and Amarant haven't had new relics for over a year now, and Amarant has only two SSB+ relics (and four relics in total).

Kimahri's ultimate Ronso Rage is generally considered to be Nova (since it's only available from two sources and has the highest power). We haven't seen Yuna bust out the Magus Sisters yet (though I guess you can consider 'The Sending' as a kind of ultimate move). As far as named actual summoners with a variety of summons go, Yuna has actually featured the fewest number in her SBs, with only two (Valefor and Bahamut), and tying with Rinoa. Other candidates are Rydia (with I believe six), Garnet (with three), her father Braska (with three), Eiko (with three) and somehow Quistis (with two). The only other character who use summons with less is Seymour (with one, but it's his 'signature' summon).

FFXII blew their Quickening load early - Balthier and Fran's strongest Quickenings were Uniques. As mentioned, Basch and Penelo (and arguably Gabranth) are the only ones left. The whole cast save Vaan/Balthier got new Quickenings in Revenant Wings, and they've all been in Record Keeper too. Three of the eight Concurrences have been used as SBs, two by Vaan (Windburst and Ark Blast) and one by Balthier (Inferno), leaving Cataclysm, Torrent, Whiteout, Luminescence and Black Hole; all but Whiteout have been used by Vaan in Dissidia (and its upcoming remake). Oddly enough, Espers have not been used in any SBs at all, the first game (discounting FFXI) since VII not to have any featured. Larsa is also the only character left without a 6*.

Several of XIV's SBs are references to moves which have now been removed from the game since the second expansion, including Y'shtola's Stoneskin II and Cid's Grenado Shot.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jul 30, 2017

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
If you want to be really nitpicky, Squall's Steely Blade is essentially a much quicker ice-elemental version of Lion Heart with less than half the hits, complete with the same kind of vertical beam explosion at the end.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Doesn't Vanille's Death spell in XIII also do a bunch of damage if it doesn't kill? Give her a big fuckoff Black Magic OSB that runs off Mind.

Also give someone from each game ones that involve crashing the airship or equivalent into the enemy. The IV one can just be the whole lot landing on 'em. VIII would have to involve Balamb Garden and the Ragnarok and also the spare ones in space.

And go all silly and crossovery, someone can summon every version of Ifrit for a big fire attack, someone summons All The Bahamuts. Mog gets another Moogle Army sort of one that involves all the different Moogle designs, including ones like the CC sort. Someone from a gunless game ends up with one from XII or something and can't work it so they just clobber enemies with it.

Also also I love how easy it is to stomp NORG into the ground these days. I remember when he was a big fucker. It'd be neat if they reran the really old events, like that Parade Float and Shinra Tower as a sort of revenge event.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"

McDragon posted:

Someone from a gunless game ends up with one from XII or something and can't work it so they just clobber enemies with it.

Funny you should say that, FF9 has no equipable guns and nobody in that realm can equip any guns, but Zidane is still the only FF9 character who has Machinist 4*, meaning he can still do damage and inflict status aliments with a gun that he can't equip or should know how to use.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

McDragon posted:

Also also I love how easy it is to stomp NORG into the ground these days. I remember when he was a big fucker. It'd be neat if they reran the really old events, like that Parade Float and Shinra Tower as a sort of revenge event.

I'd still forget to bring ranged attacks. :(

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Three of the eight Concurrences have been used as SBs, two by Vaan (Windburst and Ark Blast) and one by Balthier (Inferno), leaving Cataclysm, Torrent, Whiteout, Luminescence and Black Hole; all but Whiteout have been used by Vaan in Dissidia (and its upcoming remake)

I'm willing to squint and say Whitefall (Reks BSB) was at least partially intended to be Whiteout.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
It's a little way off for me, but I'm almost able to legend dive Fran. Is she a good candidate for legend diving? I both like her and have all her relics, so I figured it wouldn't be a bad decision.

AstraSage
May 13, 2013

ceaselessfuture posted:

It's a little way off for me, but I'm almost able to legend dive Fran. Is she a good candidate for legend diving? I both like her and have all her relics, so I figured it wouldn't be a bad decision.

If she's your best Support unit, I'd say go for it: her LM2 is great for extending and stacking debuffs.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I'd wait until after the anniversary festival. You'll likely have a completely different A-team.

How many different banners have you pulled on? Didn't you start with the recent XII event?

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

ApplesandOranges posted:

Several of XIV's SBs are references to moves which have now been removed from the game since the second expansion, including Y'shtola's Stoneskin II and Cid's Grenado Shot.

Thancred's Kiss of the Viper BSB is also this case, and it's particularly amusing since that skill in XIV proper was just stance skill.

Nothing for the XIV crew could really be considered "utlimate" moves yet, though some of the relics were once upon a time ultimate weapons before the first expansion hit (like Minfilia's Ragnarok Zeta).

Things that could conceivably be "ultimates" for XIV characters:

Y'shtola - Benediction (A 100% heal, might be a bit ludicrous for RK), Plenary Indulgence (instant AoE healing that scales on stacks built up from other heals)

Thancred - Dream Within A Dream (Instant triple attack), Ten Chi Jin (Cast 3 ninjutsus instantly, back to back)

Yda - Tornado Kick, Brotherhood (party wide attack boost, other people using weaponskills can give you chakra)

Papalymo - Foul (AoE nuke)

Minfilia - Royal Authority (3rd combo step of a damage rotation), Passage of Arms (give yourself 100% block, make an area behind you to give allies 15% damage reduction)

Cid - Ricochet (instant AoE damage), Flamethrower (burninate targets in a wide cone in front of you)

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It bothers me that Papalymo's BSB is Enochian Firaga and not Enochian Fire IV.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

KPC_Mammon posted:

I'd wait until after the anniversary festival. You'll likely have a completely different A-team.

How many different banners have you pulled on? Didn't you start with the recent XII event?

Yep :v:

Haven't pulled since the lucky draw/KC2 bug. Have 70 mythril and am saving for September.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Fister Roboto posted:

It bothers me that Papalymo's BSB is Enochian Firaga and not Enochian Fire IV.

They actually still use the suffixes in the Japanese version of 14, IIRC - though Enochian Fire IV would be Enochian Firaja, not Firaga.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

I actually just realized that three star motes and four star motes are totally different! Thought I had hundreds of fours, but apparently onky have a few.

Oh well, still good to know about Fran I guess!

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

ceaselessfuture posted:

I actually just realized that three star motes and four star motes are totally different! Thought I had hundreds of fours, but apparently onky have a few.

Oh well, still good to know about Fran I guess!

Yup, you'll get more as time goes on but they are still a somewhat limited resource until Global gets the revamped mote dungeons. Those will allow you to farm 4* Motes either six at a time or ten at time, depending on if you can stomp the boss in under 30 seconds in-game time.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion
I got two copies of Rinoa's ice BSB2, and one of her, uh, enearth SSB. Good planning there guys.

edit: I also have her unique lightning-damage SB

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

MikeSevigny posted:

edit: I also have her unique lightning-damage SB

Man, that thing used to be so good. It hits three times! And if the enemy is lightning-weak, it can hit for up to 29997 damage! So much better than Thundara or Thundaga!

And now, it's about as worthwhile as whatever her default is!

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

$1 pull netted rinoa LMR. I had her OSB only. It's fine. It doesn't seem great but by default she's already one of my best DPS sources for earth. So even if it's not spectacular it still is something.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

drat, it seems like almost every event lately has had a boss with a weakness switching gimmick; Palom and Shantotto's bursts have really been pulling their weight.

Also what the gently caress Dena when are we going to get some loving wisdom motes. "Different games," my rear end. We'd better get some tomorrow in the torment jump start.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Landed Rinoa SSB and Fujin SSB. Wanted anything Ice too, but it's not bad since they're both element+ armor.

My Ice team is currently Shantotto (technically Lightning) and Vivi (technically Fire).

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

Dollar pulled Edea BSB, yay! My only other Ice's were Palom's triple-element and Sarah's enIce standard. Pretty happy about it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Forgot to bring dispel for the jump start so the fight took 4 rounds instead of 3. :v:

OK's only purpose in the fight was to provide haste (in hindsight, bringing a rikku usb RW instead of just something with instant cast haste was a dumb choice) and a full break, while Vaan/Zack/Cloud did their usual murdery things.

Randabis
Apr 2, 2005

4/11 fujin osb/ssb rinoa ssb2(?) Raijin ssb. Not a bad pull really and now between fujin and cloud I can do some decent wind damage. Rinoa and raijin ssbs seem decent though I don't see them being a part of my teams without a burst. I wanted some of the ice stuff though. At least I have Serah and Lulu's bursts so it's no biggie.

Also quality of life suggestion: let us select how many eggs we want converted in the hall of rites. Doing one at a time when you have like 20 or more to convert sucks.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Cattail Prophet posted:

drat, it seems like almost every event lately has had a boss with a weakness switching gimmick; Palom and Shantotto's bursts have really been pulling their weight.

Also what the gently caress Dena when are we going to get some loving wisdom motes. "Different games," my rear end. We'd better get some tomorrow in the torment jump start.

They're part of the CM yes.

But it's FFII so... good luck with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

ApplesandOranges posted:

They're part of the CM yes.

But it's FFII so... good luck with that.

Yeah, I have exactly two relics for my II squad, granted they're among the more useful (Firion BSB and Gordon's ATK/MAG break) but I'm not brimming with confidence.

When's the next II banner again?

• Locked thread