Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
10's trick not only required a piece of himself he doesn't have (and new regenarations aren't present of mind enough to remember to immediately cut their own arm off so they can do later) but also ended up making an rear end in a top hat human clone ruining a companion's life.

There's lots of reasons not to do that again and an alternative way to not regenerate hasn't been described

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Astroman posted:

Or you might say he regenerated...into himself. :smug:

Which makes you wonder why Capaldi wouldn't just do that if he didn't want to change again. The Doctor has shown greater and greater control over the process and the Master has as well ("If the Doctor can be young and strong..."). Plus I would imagine having a whole new cycle would give you a sort of level up, so even without extra hands or Karn potions in theory he should be able to stay the same. Of course he can't, but in universe you have to wonder why.

You've answered your own question. The Doctor's really bad at regenerating. It's not the traumatic experience for most Time Lords that it is for him (the General in Hell Bent recovered in seconds, as did the Master in Utopia) and at least some of them have shown much more control over the process than he has (Romana in particular). He was only able to regenerate into himself the once because of that extra hand (and that had enough unintended consequences that he'd probably not want to do that again even if it were an option).

Beyond that, though, I think it's more than Twelve just not wanting to change, though that's the excuse he's giving. I think he just doesn't want to go on with (he thinks) everyone and everything he cares about dead or lost.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
The doctor is turned into a woman and sent back in time to become Romana

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Timby posted:

Ten wasted an entire regeneration because he was too full of himself to accept changing.

To be fair they were in the middle of a crisis and the last thing you need when there's Daleks everywhere is a brand new Doctor bumbling about and vomiting glowing energy everywhere. Probably figured keeping his own face would be the best option, plus he didn't seem that shocked when the Metacrisis Doctor turned up so maybe he was hoping something like that would happen

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~

2house2fly posted:

To be fair they were in the middle of a crisis and the last thing you need when there's Daleks everywhere is a brand new Doctor bumbling about and vomiting glowing energy everywhere. Probably figured keeping his own face would be the best option, plus he didn't seem that shocked when the Metacrisis Doctor turned up so maybe he was hoping something like that would happen

Whereas bumbling about and vomiting energy everwhere was exactly how Eleven dealt with his Daleks Everywhere problem.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Eleven had regen energy to spare because of the continue he collected, ten was reaching the end of his extra lives

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Looks like the one unfinished Doctor Who story is getting yet ANOTHER retelling:

http://www.starburstmagazine.com/tv-news/18897-lost-doctor-who-classic-shada-to-be-bbc-worldwides-next-animation-project

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
One thing I don't get, is how do time lords age? When 10 got age zapped by the master, he turned into golem. When 11 was protecting Trenazlor or whatever it is for 300 years, he was visibly older. When 12 showed up, he started out older looking and what not. I suppose it is ok that they can regenerate into a whatever kind of age looking human. But did 1 grow up? How long did he live to look that old before regenerating? Were people saying "You look like poo poo, why don't you just shoot yourself and regenerate?"

I guess this is a bit too much "Scratchy clearly hit the same bone twice but produced two different notes."

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

If they can get Tom and Lalla on board it might be interesting, but I still wish they had done something like Evil of the Daleks (or The Massacre!) instead. Shada honestly isn't that good to begin with, and we've already got a dozen different versions of it anyway.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
I suspect a large part of it is the combination of Tom Baker (the Doctor that most people have heard of) and Douglas Adams (a writer that most people have heard of)

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

quote:

Levine’s version was offered to BBC Worldwide some years ago but declined.

lol

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Cojawfee posted:

One thing I don't get, is how do time lords age? When 10 got age zapped by the master, he turned into golem. When 11 was protecting Trenazlor or whatever it is for 300 years, he was visibly older. When 12 showed up, he started out older looking and what not. I suppose it is ok that they can regenerate into a whatever kind of age looking human. But did 1 grow up? How long did he live to look that old before regenerating? Were people saying "You look like poo poo, why don't you just shoot yourself and regenerate?"

I guess this is a bit too much "Scratchy clearly hit the same bone twice but produced two different notes."

Time Lords seem to age roughly analogous to how humans do, it just takes them a hell of a lot longer. We see young John Hurt's reflection at the start of his regeneration, before we get Granddad Grumpy in Day of the Doctor; the 5th Doctor looks all frumpy in Time Crash because of the "shorted out time differential", adding a few hundred years of wear to his face; 10 and 11 both age roughly human-like, just over centuries. I reconcile DobbyDoctor as the laser screwdriver basically forcing him to age without letting him either die or regenerate. And we do see a young 1 in that 12th Doctor episode Listen, looking like a little kid.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Man, people really love "Shada," I guess.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

jivjov posted:

Time Lords seem to age roughly analogous to how humans do, it just takes them a hell of a lot longer. We see young John Hurt's reflection at the start of his regeneration, before we get Granddad Grumpy in Day of the Doctor; the 5th Doctor looks all frumpy in Time Crash because of the "shorted out time differential", adding a few hundred years of wear to his face; 10 and 11 both age roughly human-like, just over centuries. I reconcile DobbyDoctor as the laser screwdriver basically forcing him to age without letting him either die or regenerate. And we do see a young 1 in that 12th Doctor episode Listen, looking like a little kid.

DobbyDoctor was made when the Master said 'You don't look 900 years old, Doctor'.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Cojawfee posted:

I figure regeneration energy is always ticking away in a Time Lord's body, keeping them from aging. 11 ended up getting old and about to die of old age because he ran out of energy

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

Cojawfee posted:

In no particular order:

One, being the original, grew up from a child and all the normal stuff. He lived to... 700? 800? I don't know, but a long rear end time. The Master screwing about with the Doctor was... the Master screwing about with the Doctor, removing the near perfect cellular regeneration that keeps time lords nearly (but not quite) immortal. Eleven was the longest lived regeneration by a long shot, living for ~1100 years. The Doctor has died of aging/natural causes three times, with War aging quicker (as in, stock footage youngish John Hurt to 2013 John Hurt over about a century) due to living like a hobo through an unimaginably horrible war. Twelve being older is (in universe*) part of him being more honest in general, showing his age rather than carrying on getting younger.

In short: Time Lords age, but it takes centuries for it to show or take effect outside of extenuating circumstances.

*the actual reason is why the gently caress wouldn't you want peter capaldi to be the doctor come on

e: f, b.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Wyld Karde posted:

Whereas bumbling about and vomiting energy everwhere was exactly how Eleven dealt with his Daleks Everywhere problem.

I really wanted there to be a scene where the Time Lords phone up Twelve all "Way to burn five regenerations on a goddamn fireworks show, loser".

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

Were people saying "You look like poo poo, why don't you just shoot yourself and regenerate?"

Im guessing maybe age and looks isnt really a big deal to a race where age and looks are somewhat fleeting. Also dying apparently sucks, even if you do regenerate

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

docbeard posted:

I really wanted there to be a scene where the Time Lords phone up Twelve all "Way to burn five regenerations on a goddamn fireworks show, loser".
And god knows how many got siphoned by Davros

Also, I was a fan of "How many regenerations did we grant you? I've got all night"

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Shada is going to be completed. Again.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I can't recall where (and Moffat is contradicting it with the shots of the First regenerating) but Davis said that he justifies regeneration being a big dramatic light show by saying that the Time Lords weaponized it during the Time War so that anyone dying would basically be a weapon.

I always just thought that the Tardis dialled this down when inside of it but Eleven used it to its full potential.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Being honest, the War Doctor is likely the oldest of them all.

The Doctor being '2000' years old or whatever is total bullshit, and everyone knows it. He just started rounding down after the War Doctor. Picked some arbitrary number.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

someone suggest a peter davison story please

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Spare Parts

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Burkion posted:

Being honest, the War Doctor is likely the oldest of them all.

The Doctor being '2000' years old or whatever is total bullshit, and everyone knows it. He just started rounding down after the War Doctor. Picked some arbitrary number.

2000 is the Time Lord version of 29 and the Doctor is just convinced they always look young enough to pass for it, no matter what regeneration.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

http://i.imgur.com/bX979bY.gifv

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

corn in the bible posted:

someone suggest a peter davison story please

Black Orchid. It's not the best story but it's short and has some very fun moments. The entire thing only happens because the Doctor is mistaken for somebody else, then learns he gets to play cricket if he doesn't correct them so he enthusiastically plays along.

Edit: It's also one of the best uses of Adric post-Tom Baker.

Illuen
Feb 18, 2011

All comedy is derived from fear.
Rewatching Nu-Who, and wondering, why is there so much hate for the Paternoster gang? The characters are no worse than other supporting Who characters, and I am always a fan of characters being around for multiple regenerations. Who fans just seem to hate them extra hard, and I really don't understand it.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Watching Season 3 of Broadchurch, and it's so cool seeing the 10th and 13th Doctors in the same scene! :allears:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Illuen posted:

Rewatching Nu-Who, and wondering, why is there so much hate for the Paternoster gang? The characters are no worse than other supporting Who characters, and I am always a fan of characters being around for multiple regenerations. Who fans just seem to hate them extra hard, and I really don't understand it.

They got a bit overplayed towards the end, but in general I like them. Nothing wrong with a bit of Strax. My favourite gag of his is in Name Of The Doctor, when he's apologising to Vastra for going crazy and trying to kill her: "it was an unprovoked and violent attack... but that's no excuse"

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Astroman posted:

Watching Season 3 of Broadchurch, and it's so cool seeing the 10th and 13th Doctors in the same scene! :allears:

And Prisoner Zero!

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

TinTower posted:

And Prisoner Zero!

All of those rumours of Olivia Colman getting cast as 13 would have ended up really silly.

"Why did I choose this face?

... uhhh

I guess I... want to bite people's faces off? :shrug:"

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
it's a little weird that the lizard both dates a human and still eats people, they were in some of the worst scenes and jokes (the "POND" scene from snowman still makes me wince), always felt a little more like ideas someone had than realized characters to me. It's been a while since the pre-Capaldi seasons, so I don't remember what else I didn't like about them.

Maybe we'll see them again, it's been a while since Deep Breath.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Also, Jenny and Vastra's relationship was pretty much always treated as a joke, or at worst blatant fanservice, rather than feeling like actual representation.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

people don't like them because they mostly only appear in crap episodes

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

corn in the bible posted:

people don't like them because they mostly only appear in crap episodes

There was the Crimson Horror though.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

i kind of wish modern doctor who would do confusing space culture references more. tom baker for lyfe yo

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

fractalairduct posted:

Also, Jenny and Vastra's relationship was pretty much always treated as a joke, or at worst blatant fanservice, rather than feeling like actual representation.

The joke was conservative Victorians having a stronger reaction to two women being married than one of them being a lizard monster.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

http://i.imgur.com/Zkl0SV2.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
it's a good thing harmon and roilland thought of rick and morty before adult swim's live action department watched some old doctor who and did their own take

• Locked thread