Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Copper Vein posted:

More than anything now, I want a reverse-guest Dollop where Gareth's mum tells stories to Dave Anthony about the early years of little Garfie.

That would be nice.

That Nissan duke driver was a joke right? Right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Binowru posted:

You guys should at least check out how Dave does the Talk Space ads. I mean, I hate podcast ads as much as the next guy, but they're really funny

:agreed:

Dave's good enough with the ads that it's not so bad listening to most of them.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
There's still like ten minutes of them

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

Guy Goodbody posted:

There's still like ten minutes of them

I skip when they do their stand-up dates :ohdear:

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Binowru posted:

I skip when they do their stand-up dates :ohdear:

And miss Gareth "Garfie" Reynolds becoming some sort of confused cave man who cannot operate with all his dates arrayed on a wall before him?

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

I can confirm there were (foam) batteries thrown at the philly show.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
Haha, I just started part 2 of the opium epidemic. Garfie's "mum!" was great, just like everything else about that part. Dave's got some good stuff for the new opening theme.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

beats for junkies posted:

Dave's got some good stuff for the new opening theme.

I hope he keeps "People say this is funny?" in there.

Because he says it in a funny way, but also after listening to story after story about "And then not only did the criminals get away with it, they also got very wealthy in the process" you start start to ask that to yourself, rhetorically.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Binowru posted:

So, I didn't realize our current opioid crisis could pretty much be traced back to one horrendous company. Now I don't know who's worse, Purdue or Uber. Goddamn.

Also, any other LA fans planning on going to the show on July 16th that Gareth mentioned?

It's not only one horrible company, just mostly them. A really lucky drug cartel also helped.

Dreamland: The True Tale of America's Opiate Epidemic is well worth the read.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
I think the Lincoln's Body episode might be my favorite Smollop, even though a full 15% of it is Dave describing himself through yard work he does and verbally abusing Gareth.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I am so happy they finally learned what "dry goods" means

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Guy Goodbody posted:

I am so happy they finally learned what "dry goods" means

The real arc of the Dollop.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dictionary posted:

sea law·yer
nouninformal
plural noun: sea lawyers

an eloquently and obstinately argumentative person.

Huh.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

When Dave brought up the newspaper coverage of the Challenge's arrival (10 people died! But this ship is fuckin' sweeeet!) all I could think about was the autistic reporter from The Onion.

http://www.theonion.com/video/autistic-reporter-train-thankfully-unharmed-in-cra-20098

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Previa_fun posted:

When Dave brought up the newspaper coverage of the Challenge's arrival (10 people died! But this ship is fuckin' sweeeet!) all I could think about was the autistic reporter from The Onion.

http://www.theonion.com/video/autistic-reporter-train-thankfully-unharmed-in-cra-20098
I wonder if boatwatching was trainspotting before there were trains to spot.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Are they having trouble with an episode again?

I thought I saw #286 go on their site a few days ago, but it was missing a download link. Now, the whole thing is gone.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Donnerberg posted:

Are they having trouble with an episode again?

I thought I saw #286 go on their site a few days ago, but it was missing a download link. Now, the whole thing is gone.

I only see up until 285 on overcast. I don't even know what day they're supposed to be released.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I think it has something to do with this:

https://twitter.com/thedollop/status/889936167923318784

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
Did Maron get cancelled?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Yes, Maron ended last summer. I'm not sure how aware the staff was that they weren't going to be renewed.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

I can understand that.
If anything, I don't understand where he found the time to do 2 a week with all the other stuff he has (had?) going on.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I thought Dave's wife was a doctor? Wouldn't that provide health insurance?

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
SAG insurance is dope

Serf
May 5, 2011

Dave should ditch the ads and start a Patreon like all the good podcasts.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Serf posted:

Dave should ditch the ads and start a Patreon like all the good podcasts.

I thought they had one?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

mrfart posted:

I thought they had one?

https://www.patreon.com/thedollop

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
They stopped advertising the Patreon because apparently mentioning it reminded more people they had it and led them to unsubscribe than actually led to more subscribers.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Every other podcast I listen to that has a Patreon offers exclusive content for their patrons.

And also doesn't run ads.

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

Dave ran a poll awhile ago that asked if people would rather have ads before two episodes a week or one episode for free and one for patrons and people chose the former. Of course now it's one episode a week period, THANKS TRUMP. I don't know why everyone bitches about the ads so much, they're always at the beginning, just go to 2:00 or something.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

i've enjoyed the evolving commentary with the ads

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Does Patreon have a setting for campaigns where they turn off the thing that tells you how much they're making? The Dollop's one recently vanished, as far as I can tell. My other patreons all say how much they're pulling in, but the Dollop just says how many patrons.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

rotinaj posted:

Does Patreon have a setting for campaigns where they turn off the thing that tells you how much they're making? The Dollop's one recently vanished, as far as I can tell. My other patreons all say how much they're pulling in, but the Dollop just says how many patrons.

I think so, you can still see what Talking Simpsons is making but not for We Hate Movies.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Elitist Bitch posted:

Dave ran a poll awhile ago that asked if people would rather have ads before two episodes a week or one episode for free and one for patrons and people chose the former. Of course now it's one episode a week period, THANKS TRUMP. I don't know why everyone bitches about the ads so much, they're always at the beginning, just go to 2:00 or something.

Patreon exclusive feed with the same shows without ads. Any other competent podcast does this with their Patreon. The Dollop has a bad Patreon and the rewards are not really worth it.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Tir McDohl posted:

Patreon exclusive feed with the same shows without ads. Any other competent podcast does this with their Patreon. The Dollop has a bad Patreon and the rewards are not really worth it.

I'd pay if I could skip the ads and the upcoming show dates.

Sleep With Me has links in the show notes that let you skip the beginning poo poo, I'd love if these guys had that too.

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

Tir McDohl posted:

Careful, Dave might catch wind of this criticism and block this whole dumb forum.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
I don't mind the ads, but I would donate if they offered edited down versions of the bloated and bad live shows.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I'd pay just to have Dave chill with the forced hyena laugh.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
The Dollop is th only podcast where I don't skip the ads.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
There are fewer ads on it than terrestrial radio or TV. Just imagine nearly 1/3rd of the show being advertising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

RandomPauI posted:

There are fewer ads on it than terrestrial radio or TV. Just imagine nearly 1/3rd of the show being advertising.

But enough about Pod Save America.