Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I get that the way child support is set up is totally backwards and punitive, but I don't see how that translates to "you don't get to be a father anymore if I say so"

Again, abortion has a few crucial differences

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Danger posted:

Is this for real? I'm not familiar with the prior conversation. That kid deserves child support you doofus. Just like if the roles were reversed.

No, there is no such thing as "just like if the roles were reversed", because only one of them is carrying a fetus to term, or deciding not to, in both cases processes with potentially risky medical consequences. If the potential mother decides early in the pregnancy that she wants to give up the baby if/when it's born, and then at month 8 the father digs his heels in, she no longer has the choice to abort. He, meanwhile, at no point was carrying a fetus, with all that entails.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

WampaLord posted:

Biology is unfair. Her body, her choice.

Right and if she wants to choose to give the baby up to a loving adopting home by going through the struggles and dangers of bearing a child then it's her body and that should be her choice.

Whatever we've gone through this before I'm not gonna argue it again. We're not talking about a 4 year old, a healthy newborn is the holy grail of adoption and the baby would absolutely not be the one suffering if this was how the law worked. There's no slippery slope here.

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jul 30, 2017

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
It's like an MRA strawman come to life

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Pull up, thread!

Me [24 F] with my boyfriend [32M] of 3 years, he explains simple poo poo to me and it's driving me bonkers

quote:

Throwaway because. A few details have been fudged for anonymity's sake.

I met my boyfriend, Bill, a little over 3 years ago. We fell for each other pretty quickly and moved in together after 1 1/2 years. So far, this is the most serious relationship either of us have had; marriage is more of a "when" than an "if" at this point. I love him very much. He's smart, talented, kind, hilariously funny, and I feel like I can tell or ask him mostly anything.

Shortly after we began seeing each other, I was finally able to find affordable therapy and spent a year doing some super serious work on myself. I come from a bit of a clusterfuck of a family, and years of a narcissistic, manipulative father and an uber-conservative, sex-shaming mother really did their bit. Couple that with getting raped at 16 and some substance abuse problems from 17-19, I was due for an assist. It helped me become a better person and partner. Through it all, Bill was very understanding and supportive, and I told him almost everything that I went over in therapy (this becomes relevant).

Now, while I love Bill dearly and want him in my life always, there is an issue that seems to have become more persistent over time. It's not a deal-breaker or something that will kill our relationship, but really bothersome nonetheless. Bill and I are both pretty nerdy and love to learn. With that said, he consistently corrects/informs me about things I already know. They're always small, and taken one at a time aren't a big deal, but when they're happening every day, the annoyance starts to stack. It's things like this:

* a song comes on; Bill starts telling me about the song/band, when I was the one who gave him the album/song in the first place.

* we play a lot of tabletop games. He is pretty consistent about telling me rules to games I already know, or, if I'm taking a second to tot up a dice roll in my head or remember a rule, he'll try to start explaining it to me.

* he's told me the same fact about a Pokemon Go item several times in the past few days; he claims I told him I didn't understand how the item works (nope, never did) each time I called him out on it.

* I tell him my high score on another game and he doubts me, saying "I'd be really impressed if you actually got that much." I doubt myself, so I check my score and I'm right

* I tell him some fact I read in an article and he responds by looking it up on Google before saying "Yeah, you were right about that."

Things in that vein. Just consistent, extra information I don't want that is irritating because it's either 1. something I told him or 2. common knowledge, where it's a little insulting he thinks he needs to tell me or 3. help I don't want/didn't ask for. I wouldn't call it mansplaining at all, but that feeling of "Why do you think you need to explain that to me?!" is there.

My past therapy comes into play because one of the things I worked on for a while was getting over the fear that everyone thinks I'm stupid. After being raised by hyper-critical parents that wanted perfect grades, it was a tough habit to break, but I'm much better at controlling it. At the time, I would respond with the phrase "I know" over eeeverything. Bill started saying "Oh, do you?" every time I said it to call my attention to it. I never much liked that, but I did stop saying it.

Now, whenever he starts to overexplain to me, if I say "I know" (because I do) or if I complain he's being over-explainy, he says I'm being oversensitive or I'm afraid he thinks I'm stupid or he brings up some of the past insecurities I told him while in therapy and says it's due to that. If I complain that double-checking stories I've told him on Google to see if I'm right is a bit rude, he'll ask if I'm really angry about the fact-checking or if "this is about something else." He also defends it by saying he's just trying to have a conversation with me, or he just likes to learn and just Googles things for information's sake, or that's just how he is, he does it to everyone (no, he doesn't. He has long conversations about video games or politics with friends without having to explain common-knowledge-stuff to them). It's gotten to the point where, when he gets explainy, I get so irritated because I feel like me calling him out on it will get turned back onto me, so I feel trapped and like I can't talk to him.

At the same time, I'm worried he's right and I'm being overly sensitive. I was (and to a lesser degree, still am) worried about appearing "smart" for so long, I'm not sure if my annoyance is just a symptom of that.

Bottom line, I need help assessing whether my annoyance is valid, and if it is, I need help talking to Bill about it. Much appreciated!

TL;DR: boyfriend consistently overexplains things to me, I don't know how to get it across that I don't need it and it's annoying.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

fruit on the bottom posted:

It's like an MRA strawman come to life

Yeah, because you can't read. I didn't say he should unilaterally be denied paternity, I said that if he wants the baby he should be able to have it without putting a burden of parental duties on her. First dibs on adoption or whatever. Because the biological situation is inherently lopsided, that doesn't translate if roles are reversed.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Yeah, because you can't read. I didn't say he should unilaterally be denied paternity, I said that if he wants the baby he should be able to have it without putting a burden of parental duties on her. First dibs on adoption or whatever. Because the biological situation is inherently lopsided, that doesn't translate if roles are reversed.

Problem is, if he ever needs financial assistance he may have to ask for child support. Like it's not as simple as "just don't ask" a lot of the time.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Haifisch posted:

Pull up, thread!

Me [24 F] with my boyfriend [32M] of 3 years, he explains simple poo poo to me and it's driving me bonkers

Mansplaining.txt, aggravated further by the age gap.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Haifisch posted:

Pull up, thread!

I wouldn't call it mansplaining at all, but that feeling of "Why do you think you need to explain that to me?!" is there.

:thunk:

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
I feel like if we just called backseat driving the whole concept of the frustration of someone telling you poo poo you already understand would be a lot less political.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I don't think that's the issue people were having; It's about the function of child support itself. Child support is to care for the kid. If the mother decided to keep the child herself while the dad wanted nothing to do with it, the dad still has a duty of support if needed. Neither mom nor dad need to take any part in raising the kid, but the kid deserves the financial support of possible.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

blarzgh posted:

Nowhere can you legally force a woman to take a baby to term.

How sure are you about this?

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

ArbitraryC posted:

Right and if she wants to choose to give the baby up to a loving adopting home by going through the struggles and dangers of bearing a child then it's her body and that should be her choice.

Whatever we've gone through this before I'm not gonna argue it again. We're not talking about a 4 year old, a healthy newborn is the holy grail of adoption and the baby would absolutely not be the one suffering if this was how the law worked. There's no slippery slope here.

At the point the child is born it no longer matters who incubated it and the point of child support isn't to compensate mothers for carrying children to birth, it's to support the child. Mom has to pay child support if she doesn't want to raise the child and doesn't get to unilaterally adopt out the kid to avoid that.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Doc Hawkins posted:

How sure are you about this?

if he's talking about the US, then he's right (in theory, anyway)

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Danger posted:

I don't think that's the issue people were having; It's about the function of child support itself. Child support is to care for the kid. If the mother decided to keep the child herself while the dad wanted nothing to do with it, the dad still has a duty of support if needed. Neither mom nor dad need to take any part in raising the kid, but the kid deserves the financial support of possible.

Then why are parents allowed to give a child up for adoption without being required to then pay child support?

Warbadger posted:

At the point the child is born it no longer matters who incubated it and the point of child support isn't to compensate mothers for carrying children to birth, it's to support the child. Mom has to pay child support if she doesn't want to raise the child and doesn't get to unilaterally adopt out the kid to avoid that.

Why not? Why are parents allowed to do this bilaterally, where one of them gets this right just out of his having provided some semen ~9 months prior?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
My GF and all her friends/family [26 F] thinks I[28M] am weird

quote:

A bit of a background. I have never had a gf before my current relationship. I am a prototypical nerd and I am currently a Grad Student just about to get my PhD. I met my girlfriend while she was an undergraduate and when I just joined grad school. We don't have much in common in terms of interests/occupations either. I am a Computer Science student while she was in graphic design.

I honestly didn't think I would ever find a gf because I am very shy, have few friends and game a lot. My gf initiated the relationship and asked me to ask her out. We have been dating for the last 4.5 years. IMO our relationship has been very good. We spend a lot of time with each other and she's helped me come out of my shell. I was also thinking of asking her to marry me as soon as I graduated and started my new job.

Last Friday, she had logged on to facebook and was talking with on a group chat with her mom and another family friend. My gf was complaining to them about how weird I am- that I talk very little when I'm out with her and her friends, watch Pokemon,how I still game and how I am lazy etc etc.

I am by no means lazy. I have odd hours as I am in my lab till late and wake up slightly late. Both of us live mostly from the stipend and grant I receive as a grad student (she was laid off and is a waitress)so I found this really hurtful. I don't game or watch much anime as often as I used to, mostly because I wanted to do stuff that my gf liked. I don't mind not gaming or not watching anime, but I was under the impression my gf didn't mind this. After I saw the conversation for about 5 minutes, I logged out because I was hurt.

Today I talked to one of our very good mutual friends. She told me she's the heard the same things from my gf as well how unmanly I am (I am slightly shorter and much lighter than my gf) and how unpleasant I look because of my long hair.

I am not sure why I'm posting this here. I might have just wanted to vent and should have posted this on /r/offmychest . This is the only relationship I've had and I thought I was at a great place. I am not sure what hurts more, the fact that my gf of nearly 5 years thinking I'm abnormal or that the fact that she tells it to others.

tl;dr: Girlfriend of nearly 5 years things my lifestyle is weird and tells her friends/family behind my back.

quote:

EDIT - I had a long convo with my girlfriend yesterday. I confronted her with the issue. She was apologetic about the talking about me behind my back. Then I asked her why she did that, she explained that she was getting frustrated not being able to "mold" me into who I am. I was very sad about this. I am by no way the most charming lover but I tried hard to do little things to please her. So I explained to her there is only a limit she could change me and after nearly 5 years it's unlikely going to happen. So yeah bottom line is we broke up. I wanted to shout or scream why she didn't tell me this before but I couldn't. That's not my style. It hasn't still me yet I guess. I'm trying to look at the bright side of things but it's really hard. I kinda hated the time before I was dating her. But I am really close to my dissertation. I am most likely going to be in the west coast this time next year (I'm in Pittsburgh now). So there's a tiny bit of me that's looking forward to embracing the change as well. Today, I met one of my oldest friends after like 2 years(we planned on meeting for the last 9 months). We hung out a bit and I'll be going to grab some beers with him in half an hour. I also got confirmation that I'll be travelling to Montreal later this year. So I'm just trying to take my head away from thinking about the situation.

I will definitely try to increase the times I go to the gym and build my self confidence. I'll try to go to the gym 4-6 days a week when I start my new job.Thank you everyone for your comments and support. I'm really glad I didn't behave like an rear end in a top hat throughout this whole ordeal.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Then why are parents allowed to give a child up for adoption without being required to then pay child support?

Exactly. Parents can choose to give the child up for adoption. One does not have unilateral say once the kid is born.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Danger posted:

Setting this as a complete aside from the other part of the argument this system sucks terribly as is. I'm generally an advocate of a dude's ability to just peace out of a pregnancy and it's not because of men's rights or anything it's because I grew up under and have known plenty of single moms that have so much of their time, energy, and resources tied up in courts fighting over child support rather than just getting money from the state. Perhaps the worst example I know of this is an ex-girlfriend's sister who cares the world about her son but her dad is a deadbeat on disability and spends pretty much all of his free time (which is plentiful as he doesn't work) making her life a living hell via lawyers. he's constantly late on payments while spending thousands of dollars constantly fighting over custody he doesn't even want (the kid is old enough to talk about how he neglects him whenever he's forced to trade off during the summer or w/e).

If it's about the child's needs then the child needs a consistent home and income and I'd be happy to pay extra in taxes to provide it rather than a dumb system that turns into an expensive slapfight over who owes what.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I can't imagine the poor hell a child would go through where the parents determine what kind of sorry they'll provide based on what's "fair" to them rather than what's best for the child.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Haifisch posted:

My GF and all her friends/family [26 F] thinks I[28M] am weird

Mid 20's you have to graduate to Digimon otherwise women will think you're too childish, everyone knows this.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Danger posted:

Exactly. Parents can choose to give the child up for adoption. One does not have unilateral say once the kid is born.

:rolleyes:

Stop saying "one" as if they're interchangeable. Only one of them carries the fetus who becomes the kid.

Ride The Gravitron posted:

I can't imagine the poor hell a child would go through where the parents determine what kind of sorry they'll provide based on what's "fair" to them rather than what's best for the child.

Then force parents to pay child support when they give a child up for adoption. :shrug:

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Why not? Why are parents allowed to do this bilaterally, where one of them gets this right just out of his having provided some semen ~9 months prior?

Because both of your parents are your parents and the law recognizes this fact. Mom doesn't get this right just out of her having provided the egg and incubator for 9 months.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Dump the girlfriend; Pikachu will never make fun of you.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Warbadger posted:

Because both of your parents are your parents and the law recognizes this fact. Mom doesn't get this right just out of her having provided the egg and incubator for 9 months.

Oh, right, "providing the incubator", as it is well-known the womb is a detachable thing that has no health consequences for the mother. :rolleyes:

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
This womb is your womb, this womb is my womb
From the California to the New York island
From the Redwood Forest, to the gulf stream waters
This womb was made for you and me

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

ArbitraryC posted:

If it's about the child's needs then the child needs a consistent home and income and I'd be happy to pay extra in taxes to provide it rather than a dumb system that turns into an expensive slapfight over who owes what.

Yea, that's all well and good, but you know drat well that America ain't going to do anything like that anytime soon, we can't even get loving healthcare right.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
The whole concept of child support is problematic. Why must a child rely on their parents for financial support? For the best interest of the child, child support should be provided by the state and financed by higher taxes on everyone.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

doverhog posted:

The whole concept of child support is problematic. Why must a child rely on their parents for financial support? For the best interest of the child, child support should be provided by the state and financed by higher taxes on everyone.

That I do agree with.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

Absurd Alhazred posted:

:rolleyes:

Stop saying "one" as if they're interchangeable. Only one of them carries the fetus who becomes the kid.

When the kid is born he or she has two parents who have equal custodial responsibilities. I'm sort of baffled this is even an argument.

Is this really the new .99=1 debate or something?

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

doverhog posted:

Yea, this would be great and make the argument moot. But at the moment once a child is born neither parent gets to sign away the others rights.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Danger posted:

When the kid is born he or she has two parents who have equal custodial responsibilities. I'm sort of baffled this is even an argument.

Is this really the new .99=1 debate or something?

They only have one parent who carried them to term, though. I'm saying the current legal landscape is hosed up, leading to situations like earlier in the thread, when this dude forced his ex to sign over parental rights to him instead of giving it up for adoption, and then hit her up for child support.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Oh, right, "providing the incubator", as it is well-known the womb is a detachable thing that has no health consequences for the mother. :rolleyes:

Which is probably why mothers have abortion as an option while father don't. The womb also ceases to be a health factor w/r/t children right after they drop out of it - before which things like "adopt out the child" can't happen.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

They only have one parent who carried them to term, though. I'm saying the current legal landscape is hosed up, leading to situations like earlier in the thread, when this dude forced his ex to sign over parental rights to him instead of giving it up for adoption, and then hit her up for child support.

You don't get child support for carrying a child to term. You also don't get sole parental rights for carrying a child to term. The person doesn't belong to you, it's your responsibility.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jul 30, 2017

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Warbadger posted:

Which is probably why mothers have abortion as an option while father don't. The womb also ceases to be a health factor w/r/t children right after they drop out of it - before which things like "adopt out the child" can't happen.

LOL, yeah, mothers` bodies bounce back to normal the second they give birth. What the gently caress are you even arguing here?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Warbadger posted:

You say this as if there's not a reasonably strong faction in america campaigning against access to abortions and in many states they have mostly succeeded if not through outright outlawing it but through a series of of smaller laws that restrict access to basically everyone that can't afford to bulldoze through them with money.

If there's one thing i've learned from these recent discussions it's just how insidious and frankly disgusting pro-life proponents are.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

LOL, yeah, mothers` bodies bounce back to normal the second they give birth. What the gently caress are you even arguing here?

Mostly that you're stupid and have a incredibly stupid argument that boils down to a common MRA strawman indicative of a vast misunderstanding of the purpose of child support and the legal role of parents.

TLDR: It took two parents to create the child, neither parent owns the child, both are responsible for it.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jul 30, 2017

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Yeah and that's a hosed up situation but I think it's unfair to respond to every case of a parent not carrying an unborn child wanting to raise the kid instead of having the kid go out for adoption as doing that to control the other parent.

I think part of the issue comes from pregnancy being framed as like, a gift from god, so wonderful, glowing from within. Obviously pregnancy is natural and also necessary to reproduction, but it is also a huge physical strain that can and will go wrong a lot of the time. And unfortunately sometimes even the medical profession falls into the trap of 'pregnancy is natural and everything will be fine', like with pre-eclampsia, where the commonly cited cure is give birth and everything will clear up, which is actually not true, the mother needs additional medical care after birth and if that's not given it can be fatal pretty fast.

So... I dunno! The base problems here go deeper than parental rights and child support.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Absurd Alhazred posted:

What the gently caress are you even arguing here? From the moment the child is born they have two parents with equal parental responsibilities. Is that not the case?

ArbitraryC posted:

Setting this as a complete aside from the other part of the argument this system sucks terribly as is. I'm generally an advocate of a dude's ability to just peace out of a pregnancy and it's not because of men's rights or anything it's because I grew up under and have known plenty of single moms that have so much of their time, energy, and resources tied up in courts fighting over child support rather than just getting money from the state. Perhaps the worst example I know of this is an ex-girlfriend's sister who cares the world about her son but her dad is a deadbeat on disability and spends pretty much all of his free time (which is plentiful as he doesn't work) making her life a living hell via lawyers. he's constantly late on payments while spending thousands of dollars constantly fighting over custody he doesn't even want (the kid is old enough to talk about how he neglects him whenever he's forced to trade off during the summer or w/e).

This would be rad though

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Maybe I'm not familiar with the story, but it sounds like that dude didn't want to give up his parental rights? Did he force her to get be up hers? I'm pretty sure that's not legal and exactly what we are talking about shouldn't be if it is. The woman has control over her own body and the dude shouldn't have any kind of absolute say in whether she decides to carry the baby, but when the kid is born it has a dad and a mom and neither has like a controlling stake. I know capitalism is pretty much cynical to its core but that kid isn't property.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Warbadger posted:

Mostly that you're stupid and have a incredibly stupid argument that boils down to a common MRA strawman indicative of a vast misunderstanding of the purpose of child support and the legal role of parents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

That said if the concern is parental fairness getting first dibs on adoption would probably be the way to go, and then you get into the whole debate of like, maybe there should be a baseline of care for infants and children that the state helps provide, because otherwise it's really easy to say that poors just shouldn't have children because they can't responsibly care for them.