Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Arcsquad12 posted:

So the protomolecule is basically an alien bio weapon/terraformer/teleporter, I take it? Target an earth like planet, wipe out its population and then use its biomass plus radiation to build a giant fuckoff Stargate to their central hub?

I don't get the impression its creators saw it as a weapon at all. I don't think that all of the alien tech we see is exactly "Protomolecule," either, but it's hard to tell where to draw that line. The only concrete thing we know is that it's a gate builder. Maybe it would've gone all grey goo on ancient Earth, or maybe it would've just used as much biomass as it needed and then launched to place the gate. In either case, we don't know anything about the aliens themselves, so we don't know whether what the Protomolecule does to planets would constitute terraforming for them; that might be some other device's job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

The protomolecule is just an alien method of FTL travel. It builds a gate. That's it. It's not a weapon, nor even a terraforming device.

Slap some of this goo on a rock and sling it towards a planet orbiting another star and let it do its thing, and sooner or later there will be a new star system to explore from your hub station.

I like how terrifying and hostile the protomolecule seemed when it was in fact such a totally neutral thing.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Arcsquad12 posted:

So the protomolecule is basically an alien bio weapon/terraformer/teleporter, I take it? Target an earth like planet, wipe out its population and then use its biomass plus radiation to build a giant fuckoff Stargate to their central hub?

Abaddon's Gate posted:

It killed humans, therefore it was a weapon. But radiation killed humans, and a medical X-ray machine wasn’t intended as a weapon. Holden was starting to feel like they were all monkeys playing with a microwave. Push a button, a light comes on inside, so it’s a light. Push a different button and stick your hand inside, it burns you, so it’s a weapon. Learn to open and close the door, it’s a place to hide things. Never grasping what it actually did, and maybe not even having the framework necessary to figure it out. No monkey ever reheated a frozen burrito.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I legit can't tell if that's the best paragraph ever written, or the worst one. It's definitely one of the two, though

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well I'm just going off of the spoilers in the thread and how far into Caliban's War I am. I also finished season 2, which I thought was really well done overall, though I did notice some distinct changes. For one thin Nguyen is pretty much absent and his role and Erinwright's seem to have been condensed into one, and a few scenes are shifted around. But I really like the show's expansion on certain subjects like the availability of the protomolecule to all three factions, or turning Amos into a more overt but still well meaning sociopath.
Best scene was Alex chilling on the Roci slinging back beers in zero g.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The protomolecule is a metaphor for the plants/animals/microbiota that Europeans brought to the New World that made the place more habitable for them but hosed over all the natives.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Platystemon posted:

The protomolecule is a metaphor for the plants/animals/microbiota that Europeans brought to the New World that made the place more habitable for them but hosed over all the natives.

Alex: "Didn't all those natives die, though, Holden?"

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

Eiba posted:

The protomolecule is just an alien method of FTL travel. It builds a gate. That's it. It's not a weapon, nor even a terraforming device.

That's what the one particular piece of PM humans encountered was intended for, but it seems a bit silly to think that's its the only thing the aliens used it for. If it can build an interstellar gate, it can probably build just about anything you want it to.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Zartosht posted:

That's what the one particular piece of PM humans encountered was intended for, but it seems a bit silly to think that's its the only thing the aliens used it for. If it can build an interstellar gate, it can probably build just about anything you want it to.
I thought "The Protomolecule" was specifically the gunk found on Phoebe, which really only had one purpose. There's all sorts of other protomolecule-creator tech that humanity has encountered by now, but I don't remember if they call any of that stuff "protomolecule,"

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Eiba posted:

I thought "The Protomolecule" was specifically the gunk found on Phoebe, which really only had one purpose. There's all sorts of other protomolecule-creator tech that humanity has encountered by now, but I don't remember if they call any of that stuff "protomolecule,"

You're right, Protomolecule is specifically the Phoebe stuff. On the other hand, the aliens presumably used the same technology to build other things. It's like a 3D printer we don't know how to give new model files.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Arcsquad12 posted:

Pretty much; however, while it isn't said I get the impression it isn't meant to be used as a weapon on complicated biomes, sentient creatures, or civilizations.

When it was originally shot at earth the life on Earth was no more complicated than some multicellular organisms in a sea of bacteria.

Platystemon posted:

That was a two way street. Probably 2/3rds of the grains you eat (and tobacco) are new World plants.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 16:21 on May 31, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ZombieLenin posted:

That was a two way street. Probably 2/3rds of the grains you eat (and tobacco) are new World plants.

Syphilis is what killed the PM creators. :ms:

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
Jesus christ, stay away from the James a Corey twitter account unless you love Twitter threads about Donald Trump and politics. I just wanted to see what kind of stuff they post about the Expanse universe, god drat

Lansoc
Jan 3, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

ROFLburger posted:

Jesus christ, stay away from the James a Corey twitter account unless you love Twitter threads about Donald Trump and politics. I just wanted to see what kind of stuff they post about the Expanse universe, god drat

You would think they would keep that twitter account to their literary work but nope.. gotta throw in some poo poo too.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
yeah, its really dumb how some tiwtters are so politics focused. should have personal accounts to do poltiics imo

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Baloogan posted:

yeah, its really dumb how some tiwtters are so politics focused. should have personal accounts to do poltiics imo

From a marketing point of view, sure; however, ideology and thus politics attaches itself to everything.

So even the act of saving politics for personal twitter accounts is, in and of itself, a political act.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004
So has anyone else read Strange Dogs? It is a really interesting if short window on to what has been going on on the other side of the gate. I enjoyed it, though i was disappointed that it was so short. It read a lot like a prologue to a novel, i hope l we have some more from the family in the book.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I thought it was fascinating, yeah. I know these books aren't really meant to be about weird ancient alien stuff, but it's great whenever they delve into that stuff. I was surprised to find it was --SUPER mild spoilers here-- set eight years after colonisation. Guess we're getting a time-skip for PR.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Does it ever come up in the books how strong earthers can be in .3G environments? Now clearly after spending extended time in lower gravity there will be side effects, but I'm wondering if the books ever present some John carter of Mars levels of strength disparity.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
I think it came up in a Bobbie chapter early on when she was walking around earth and thinking that all the training for a Martian invasion was bullshit because they'd all just be exhausted despite the growth hormones and junk.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Der Luftwaffle posted:

I think it came up in a Bobbie chapter early on when she was walking around earth and thinking that all the training for a Martian invasion was bullshit because they'd all just be exhausted despite the growth hormones and junk.

That's not it, she was talking (thinking) about the existential horror she experienced going outside. The point was the 1+G training was nothing more that a security blanket that tricked Martian soldiers into at least considering fighting.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
So I just finished book 3. One thing I don't understand, assuming it wasn't just hand-waving (which I am leaning towards being the likely explanation) is the guns working after the "blue sphere" "security center" in the Hub slowed everything down because "anything faster than a fastball is a threat" parameters set by the Martians grenade launchers when they were shooting at Holden.

So how exactly are we back on the ship and having raging gun battles with assault rifles and sniper rifles and poo poo that very obviously travel faster than a fastball?

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Nigulus Rex posted:

So I just finished book 3. One thing I don't understand, assuming it wasn't just hand-waving (which I am leaning towards being the likely explanation) is the guns working after the "blue sphere" "security center" in the Hub slowed everything down because "anything faster than a fastball is a threat" parameters set by the Martians grenade launchers when they were shooting at Holden.

So how exactly are we back on the ship and having raging gun battles with assault rifles and sniper rifles and poo poo that very obviously travel faster than a fastball?

The security system only looks at objects exposed to space or inside the station itself, it doesn't worry about stuff below the skin of a ship (so bullets are allowed) or below the skin of a human or spacesuit (so fast biological functions are allowed).

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Number Ten Cocks posted:

The security system only looks at objects exposed to space or inside the station itself, it doesn't worry about stuff below the skin of a ship (so bullets are allowed) or below the skin of a human or spacesuit (so fast biological functions are allowed).

This is the same reason it's so catastrophic when the speed limit adjusts the second time.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Nigulus Rex posted:

The slow zone only effects the outer shell of the vessels. This is also why everyone inside the ships is seriously hosed up by the sudden deceleration.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

PriorMarcus posted:

The slow zone only effects the outer shell of the vessels. This is also why everyone inside the ships is seriously hosed up by the sudden deceleration.

The situation doesn't hold up on close inspection. Like most SF/F its best just to accept ~magic or new technology~ as a narrative device.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Collateral posted:

The situation doesn't hold up on close inspection. Like most SF/F its best just to accept ~magic or new technology~ as a narrative device.

Was there something specific they messed up? They seemed to apply the rule consistently.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

wellwhoopdedooo posted:

That's not it, she was talking (thinking) about the existential horror she experienced going outside. The point was the 1+G training was nothing more that a security blanket that tricked Martian soldiers into at least considering fighting.

I distinctly recall her thinking that one part of this is that the Martian 1G training was distinctly inadequate preparation for any sort of prolonged combat at 1G with UN soldiers who grew up in, and live in, 1G constantly.

The other part was the enormity of "outside;" which is pretty much the only part of that "scene" that made it into the TV show.

Importantly, when that scene made it to the TV show, it completely lost the context of comparing the inadequacy of Mars military preparation for combat in 1G; however, I would probably argue that the subtext of the scene from the novels was captured pretty drat well on the television show--the overwhelming nature of Earth for those who had never lived there, even for those "trained" for it, was the most important facet of the scene.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jul 31, 2017

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!
There was also the comment that Earth has the manpower and resources to annihilate any ground force willing to set foot on the surface.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Toast Museum posted:

Was there something specific they messed up? They seemed to apply the rule consistently.

I need to reread it but they change velocity instantly, like in zero time (t=0). I could be wrong about that though.

Even if t>0 then the potential energy of the inside of the ships is going to greater than the shell that was stopped, those ships were designed to have the stress placed around the engine housing, not the hull, which would have buttressing from the inside. The inside of the ship would either rip through the hull or if the force is applied equally to the hull at all times the impact would release the kinetic energy and simply explode. Every hard object inside the ship would act like a railgun slug. Not to mention people aren't exactly hard objects.

I don't have the numbers at hand, so I could be wrong. I usually am :)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Collateral posted:

Every hard object inside the ship would act like a railgun slug.

I don’t remember what the numbers were for the change (if they were even given), but if some of the passengers survived the velocity change, the walls can definitely survive flying paperweights. It’s not railgun velocity.

As for the inside of the ship ripping through the hull, I think the whole structure of the ship was stopped as a complete unit—skin, ribs, reactor, floors, everything that’s nailed down. Yeah, that’s kind of like magic, but so is everything else prototech is capable of.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Dr. Benway posted:

There was also the comment that Earth has the manpower and resources to annihilate any ground force willing to set foot on the surface.

Taking over an entire planet without bombing it to dust seems pretty much impossible. Even if you don't count martians and belters having trouble in the gravity well, and assume Earth's military all fall over and die, you still have to deal with billions of potential insurgents.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
A straight up ground war would be nearly as suicidal for the belt and Mars against earth as a rock throwing space war.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Platystemon posted:

I don’t remember what the numbers were for the change (if they were even given), but if some of the passengers survived the velocity change, the walls can definitely survive flying paperweights. It’s not railgun velocity.

As for the inside of the ship ripping through the hull, I think the whole structure of the ship was stopped as a complete unit—skin, ribs, reactor, floors, everything that’s nailed down. Yeah, that’s kind of like magic, but so is everything else prototech is capable of.
I don't remember exact numbers either, but a lot of ships were going pretty slow to begin with when the ultra-slow zone happened after the Martian attack, so as to not trigger the existing speed limit. The ones that weren't we never hear from again (since all their crews are a smear on the wall), so for all we know there might have been a lot of structural damage to those, but the ones that we see are the ones going slow enough for there to be survivors.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ZombieLenin posted:

Sure, okay. But again you are taking about people migrating because of economic conditions to a boom economy. These people, by in large, were migrating to developed cities in the United States where they new a large number of industrial jobs were available.

They were not migrating to the equivalent of Jamestown, which all of the gate world colonies would be.

Even in the US gold rush, there was a gold boom and a bunch of people moving to California to strike it rich. It wasn't 10% of the population though, and they were moving to a place that had some infrastructure.

This is why you never saw similar migration numbers in the Alaskan gold rush, because more people were like "gently caress that, Alaska is super loving dangerous."

And again, with Mars we are talking about a wealthy population with a large middle class--the wealthiest inner planet (so the wealthiest of the wealthy countries). What's is being described in the books is akin to 10% of the American population up and moving to the moon the moment it's "open" to "colonization" or the loving desert of Mauritania now that they've opened it to gold prospecting.

From pages ago but my thought on this is that the younger generation (the ones all leaving Mars) don't have the same inspiration/motivation with regards to the Mars terraforming project like the older people do and from their perspective it's "live in a shithouse underground colony for my entire life and maybe my grandkids can go outside or move to a pristine Earth-like planet we can have all to ourselves right now."

Plus a lot of the emigrants are described as having barely taped together ships pulled out of mothballs so idk if you're right that they are mostly well off middle-classes.

e:

ZombieLenin posted:

Yep, that's huge. You could crew a Seawolf class attack submarine with people you pulled out of the Nigerian navy, but I wouldn't expect it to last long in combat, even if they were given a crash course on how to operate it and its systems.

And in the case of the belters, you are talking people with no military experience. Not even in a developing world 3rd rate military.

That said, it's actually more noticeable when, in previous books, they had belters fighting toe to toe in boarding actions against well trained ground soldiers. And I only say this because you could spin some story about AIs being able to competently handle ship-to-ship combat. It's still not believable, but it's easier to deus ex machina that in a sci-if setting. Just a little.

Sorry for digging up some old posts but hey the thread moves slowly -

There are probably many belters with some kind of naval experience (just look at Holden or Alex). Second, the belters have been living on and operating space ships for their entire lives. They understand how ships work, they understand how to deal with high-G bursts, etc. They might not be as good at operating the weapons systems but they don't seem too complicated really given that the ship computers work out the firing solutions for you.

I think of it less like pulling some 3rd world people onto a modern submarine and more like the pirates that the navy was fighting back in the 1600/1700s, except somebody gave the pirates a bunch of frigates and ships of the line.

COMRADES fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jul 31, 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Are the novellas and short stories available in print or are they only e books?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Arcsquad12 posted:

Are the novellas and short stories available in print or are they only e books?

Drive (which is like six pages long) was available in print as convention swag, but that’s about it.

Here’s a five‐year‐old comment from Abraham saying maybe eventually they’ll be bound together in a collection.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Finished calibans war. Not as overall good as leviathan wakes and I think it spends a bit too long hitting certain plot points but I enjoyed it. Finale felt rushed but the denouement was well done to wrap things up. Bobbie is great and avasarala may as well be renamed queen bitch of the universe.

I did find the Martians willingly giving holden a crapload of munitions and a gatling gun a bit of a stretch even if chrisjen and Bobbie negotiated an alliance.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
I had the same thought about Caliban's War that you do, except that actually avasarala owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Oh don't get me wrong, avasarala owns, but man she is a mean bastard when she wants to be.