Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Narcissus1916 posted:

Files?! Do those lead to actual playable levels, or do we need to wait for the current dev team's product?

No idea, I guess it's some kind of shitshow because the guys working on it actually have permission and the guy who leaked it doesn't or something? I figured that I might as well wait for it to be finished before checking it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
it's amazing seeing how much Build Engine stuff is happening as of late, I wonder if there's any projects that haven't been officially announced yet.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

catlord posted:

No idea, I guess it's some kind of shitshow because the guys working on it actually have permission and the guy who leaked it doesn't or something? I figured that I might as well wait for it to be finished before checking it out.

This is the thread for the project: https://forums.duke4.net/topic/9316-shadow-warrior-deadly-kiss-restoration-project/

In summary, it looks like the add-on wasn't completed, or at the very least no one has the completed version. The maps were apparently mostly done, but needing finishing work, while pretty much everything else like new audio, cinematics, etc was much less complete or not done at all.

As for the permission issue, it's not clear if even the "official" people working on it really have permission to actually release anything since it sounds like the guy from Sillysoft, the company that was actually making the add-on, hasn't found the original contracts regarding the work.

The leaked zip is supposedly the original zip of the add-on as it was, without any of the new work the new team was doing to complete it. It's not too hard to find based on the info in the above thread, but I haven't had a chance to actually look at what's inside.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes
This update slipped by me so I'll make note of it now: Doomseeker now "officially" supports browsing Turok2 dedicated servers, if that's your jam. The plugin was technically released some time ago but only if you knew where to look, but now you can just download the latest Doomseeker and it'll be there ready for you.

And yes, it might seem odd that we'd make a Turok2 plugin for a program used for browsing Doom source port servers, but really isn't everything Doom when you think about it?
(The real answer is just because when you get a group of people from the Doom community to make games, we will naturally refer back to said community. Really it was just because it was easy to ask Blzut3 how to make a Doomseeker plugin as he was in the same IRC channel.)

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jul 29, 2017

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Turok 2 is a Doom Clone, so I guess that tracks.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Rocket Pan posted:

This update slipped by me so I'll make note of it now: Doomseeker now "officially" supports browsing Turok2 dedicated servers, if that's your jam. The plugin was technically released some time ago but only if you knew where to look, but now you can just download the latest Doomseeker and it'll be there ready for you.

And yes, it might seem odd that we'd make a Turok2 plugin for a program used for browsing Doom source port servers, but really isn't everything Doom when you think about it?
(The real answer is just because when you get a group of people from the Doom community to make games, we will naturally refer back to said community. Really it was just because it was easy to ask Blzut3 how to make a Doomseeker plugin as he was in the same IRC channel.)

When is it gonna be out for PS4/XB1?

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Can't answer that, not allowed to (it'd be bad form for me to say something ahead of the actual PR people, to say the least). :cheeky:
Also, just so you know, we only announced an XB1 version.

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jul 29, 2017

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
What's the likelihood of Turok 3 getting a port given the first 2 have been successful?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I vaguely recall the answer being "no interest" at the time of Turok 2's release, but hell, I'd probably be down for it. ...even though I haven't finished either of its prequels. Not too much left to Turok 2, though! I should really just cap that one off already.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I've got the Turok bundle currently sitting in my shopping cart, but I just haven't been able to pull the trigger on it (yet). I actually owned an original PC copy of Turok 2 back in the day, and was completely obsessed with how vast its arsenal and bestiary (and the original game's, for that matter) felt.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Convex posted:

What's the likelihood of Turok 3 getting a port given the first 2 have been successful?

"Whenever the opportunity arises" pretty much sums it up. It's a non-answer I realise but there's vastly too many factors, some of which involve details I don't even know, but it's certainly not impossible to happen.

It kind of sucks being "just a programmer" and only really being any good for technical questions, because it means most of my answers end up being 'that sure is a good question'. :v:

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jul 29, 2017

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I'd definitely be game for a Turok 3 remaster. It wasn't as great as its predecessors but it was still fun and interesting.

Heck, even a Rage Wars remaster could be pretty cool.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
I can't help but feel Turok is a museum piece. It holds well enough for the first level and then I completely lose interest. The sequel is still a blast though.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Rocket Pan posted:

"Whenever the opportunity arises" pretty much sums it up. It's a non-answer I realise but there's vastly too many factors, some of which involve details I don't even know, but it's certainly not impossible to happen.

It kind of sucks being "just a programmer" and only really being any good for technical questions, because it means most of my answers end up being 'that sure is a good question'. :v:

Thanks! I guess interest may not be as high as lots of people didn't play that one (including me!)

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I'm trapped eternally in lair of the blind ones

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
We've all watched Azuruish's Chillax TAS runs, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PobPgtYzRk4

19:00 :eyepop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OxYEaf21rE

8:35 :eyepop:

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
World Extermination Radio just did an interview with everyone's favorite over-designer, Termonetor667.

and for those who missed it, here is the Dario Casali

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Say, is there anyone working on a Dark Forces engine recreation? I just realised that a couple days ago was a full year since the last message about the XL Engine, and in that time we've had Daggerfall Unity continuing to plink away at their work, BloodGDX released and Blood EX showing signs of progress, and that one guy working on a Shadow Warrior port using eDuke, so of the games that the XL Engine was going to cover, the only ones that aren't covered by someone else as far as I know is Dark Forces and Outlaws.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

There's another wad for the Russian overkill pile.

Seriously, I don't get the appeal of slaughtermaps, at all.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Klaus88 posted:

The ones of that kind are specifically intended for co-op play, preferably massively co-op with like 16, 32 players at once.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Klaus88 posted:

There is an art to handling encounters of that scale properly, relying extremely heavily on movement and encouraging infighting, manipulating the vast hordes to go where you want and attack what you want them to attack. That sort of feel just isn't found in smaller maps.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Klaus88 posted:

What annoys me about them, to the extent that I really get "annoyed" by anything that I can just shrug and ignore, is not the monstercount or the resulting gameplay style per se, but rather the fact that it seems to lead to uglier visuals than usual. Big, bland areas, blatant copy-pasting abuse, or both. There are some exceptions, depending on what you consider a slaughtermap-- if you consider Deus Vult Map05 and DVII Map21 to be slaughtermaps, then they are surely evidence that slaughter gameplay and gorgeous sectorwork can coexist-- but they seem to be the exception rather than the rule.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

That's why Sunder is the best set of slaughtermaps because hoo boy did that dude not skimp on the detailed environments and they're loving beautiful.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

JerryLee posted:

What annoys me about them, to the extent that I really get "annoyed" by anything that I can just shrug and ignore, is not the monstercount or the resulting gameplay style per se, but rather the fact that it seems to lead to uglier visuals than usual. Big, bland areas, blatant copy-pasting abuse, or both. There are some exceptions, depending on what you consider a slaughtermap-- if you consider Deus Vult Map05 and DVII Map21 to be slaughtermaps, then they are surely evidence that slaughter gameplay and gorgeous sectorwork can coexist-- but they seem to be the exception rather than the rule.

Well part of the gimmick with Chillax was that most of the maps in it were were from speedmapping sessions, with minimal later editing to ensure coop would function and to bump up the monster count. There hadn't been time originally for fine detailing, most had been 24 or 48 hour efforts.

Many other megawad slaughter maps end up that way too, since they're built out of speedmaps or otherwise existing low detail maps.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

fishmech posted:

Well part of the gimmick with Chillax was that most of the maps in it were were from speedmapping sessions, with minimal later editing to ensure coop would function and to bump up the monster count. There hadn't been time originally for fine detailing, most had been 24 or 48 hour efforts.

Many other megawad slaughter maps end up that way too, since they're built out of speedmaps or otherwise existing low detail maps.

Yeah, and that's perfectly legitimate to the extent that any person can make whatever they want to and the doombuilder police aren't going to roll up and arrest them IRL. I just can't help but feel mildly internet-annoyed that there's this double standard where anybody else making GBS threads out copypasted sectors and big blank linedefs would be quite reasonably told to go back and improve their craft before expecting strangers to bother downloading and playing it, but if you give it a population larger than some smaller midwestern cities, it will automatically have an audience.

(In fairness, I'm sure that properly placing monsters and resources to arrive at a slaughtermap that someone can actually navigate and beat with skillful gameplay, rather than just plopping out impossible stupidity, is a legitimate skill unto its own. But it's not mutually exclusive with good design, or shouldn't be.)

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Third rather than first, but I just saw that Rogue Trooper has a remaster set to launch in a few months. It was a criminally overlooked OG Xbox title that was probably the best TPS I played on the platform (tussling with PSiOps and Mercenaries here), maps and enemies were well-designed and fun to come up against, and it was an excellent use of a less-well known IP from British comics. I'll be sticking a preorder on the Steam page as soon as they add the button.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I don't mind Slaughtermaps, I just don't want them living on my computer.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

JerryLee posted:

Yeah, and that's perfectly legitimate to the extent that any person can make whatever they want to and the doombuilder police aren't going to roll up and arrest them IRL. I just can't help but feel mildly internet-annoyed that there's this double standard where anybody else making GBS threads out copypasted sectors and big blank linedefs would be quite reasonably told to go back and improve their craft before expecting strangers to bother downloading and playing it, but if you give it a population larger than some smaller midwestern cities, it will automatically have an audience.

(In fairness, I'm sure that properly placing monsters and resources to arrive at a slaughtermap that someone can actually navigate and beat with skillful gameplay, rather than just plopping out impossible stupidity, is a legitimate skill unto its own. But it's not mutually exclusive with good design, or shouldn't be.)

I think you're barking up the wrong tree when you use Chillax as an example of this. It's got a lot of pretty clever design quirks, and while it's not the prettiest you can tell some amount of effort went into making it look good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YydDoCFSbq8

The first map starts you off unarmed, so you have to utilize a Cyberdemon's rockets to kill all of the enemies that come at you and carve a path toward the weapons, which imo is a pretty neat idea. Then you get to a maze-like area and find some buttons that cause the level to start unfolding like a paper crane, slowly revealing that it's actually all one big multi-leveled room that's jam packed with monsters.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

The layout of that map is stolen from map01 of phmlspd and most of the others are too. Chillax is okay on survival servers with respawning items and all that stuff, but it's not particularly balanced or well constructed. Nor is it representative of what a good 'slaughtermap' is.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

When I think Slaughtermaps, I can't help but primarily think of the Nuts.wad trilogy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNZem0jAAc0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vngkUmFfyOE

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I know this is shocking, but: the revamped DO4M multiplayer is actually pretty decent? It's nothing revolutionary but it feels like a cross between Quake and Halo, and it's pretty fun.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

That's why Sunder is the best set of slaughtermaps because hoo boy did that dude not skimp on the detailed environments and they're loving beautiful.

Yeah, Sunder looks amazing. Speed of Doom, Scythe 2, and some of Eternal's works also manage to combine the slaughter-gameplay with a beautiful aesthetic.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

CJacobs posted:

I think you're barking up the wrong tree when you use Chillax as an example of this. It's got a lot of pretty clever design quirks, and while it's not the prettiest you can tell some amount of effort went into making it look good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YydDoCFSbq8

Yeah, ok, the map in that video is somewhat better. I stand by my comments as an assessment of the original two videos that were posted, though, as well as many other (not all) slaughtermaps I've seen.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Yeah, Sunder looks amazing. Speed of Doom, Scythe 2, and some of Eternal's works also manage to combine the slaughter-gameplay with a beautiful aesthetic.

Sunder is indeed pretty amazingly designed. Stuff like Hag's Finger, you can't deny its architectural chops at all.

Thinking about it, it occurs to me that many of these examples of good slaughtermaps are individual slaughtery maps within a work that has other dimensions as well. Scythe 2's slaughtermaps, for example, take place at the end of a long buildup that includes many shorter, sweeter maps as well. Speed of Doom has the justly infamous Twilight Massacre but it also has the much differently paced Resurrection. Even Sunder, I would say, has as its ethos balls-hard difficulty more than slaughtermap per se-- very often this takes the form of slaughtermapness, yes, but you also have MAP05 (Precarious) which I wouldn't call a conventional slaughtermap at all; it gets its difficulty from a more platformy element mixed with a still challenging but not slaughter-dense use of monsters.

Maybe a good way of putting it would be that the best slaughtermap authors are good Doom mappers first, and slaughtermap authors on top of that.

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jul 30, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

koren posted:

The layout of that map is stolen from map01 of phmlspd and most of the others are too. Chillax is okay on survival servers with respawning items and all that stuff, but it's not particularly balanced or well constructed. Nor is it representative of what a good 'slaughtermap' is.

You've got it all confused.

Phml is the username of the original author of about half of the maps in what is now Chillax. He made a quick and dirty compilation of all his maps called phmlspd.wad a long while back. Then these maps were collected and converted to full slaughtermaps in a collection initially called "Phmlspd" as well (although IIRC initial releases of this phmlspd were not full slaughtery). But Phml, while totally cool with people using his maps in projects, didn't like that his name was being used for the overall wad's name, especially as by that point about half the maps weren't even by him anymore. He felt like it wrongly implied that he approved of or was responsible for all the maps which he didn't feel like was an accurate thing.

So he asked nicely that "phmlspd" be renamed to something else that didn't imply he was behind or explicitly approving it. The name Chillax was applied instead, and further updates to music and monster placement were done between the last of the modified phmlspd and the current Chillax.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Lemon-Lime posted:

I know this is shocking, but: the revamped DO4M multiplayer is actually pretty decent? It's nothing revolutionary but it feels like a cross between Quake and Halo, and it's pretty fun.

I enjoyed it for what it was, yeah. Glad they patched in a classic FFA DM mode though.

Also releasing all the DLC maps for free is pretty cool.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Convex posted:

Also releasing all the DLC maps for free is pretty cool.

Yeah, it feels a lot less anaemic as an offering with all the season pass stuff baked in - it was poo poo at launch but it's actually pretty decent now. The non-standard game modes are all fun, too.

Though I'm continually shocked at just how bad the playerbase is - I'm real bad at Quake-y games and yet I keep placing top three in every game. It's like none of them have ever heard of aiming for feet/walls, or discovered that you can cancel the SSG reload animation by swapping weapons or meleeing.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jul 30, 2017

koren
Sep 7, 2003

fishmech posted:

You've got it all confused.

Phml is the username of the original author of about half of the maps in what is now Chillax. He made a quick and dirty compilation of all his maps called phmlspd.wad a long while back. Then these maps were collected and converted to full slaughtermaps in a collection initially called "Phmlspd" as well (although IIRC initial releases of this phmlspd were not full slaughtery). But Phml, while totally cool with people using his maps in projects, didn't like that his name was being used for the overall wad's name, especially as by that point about half the maps weren't even by him anymore. He felt like it wrongly implied that he approved of or was responsible for all the maps which he didn't feel like was an accurate thing.

So he asked nicely that "phmlspd" be renamed to something else that didn't imply he was behind or explicitly approving it. The name Chillax was applied instead, and further updates to music and monster placement were done between the last of the modified phmlspd and the current Chillax.
How was I confused there? While Phml may have been cool with it, chillax does almost entirely consist of maps ripped from his poo poo and some other projects with a few architectural modifications and massively overhauled thing placement.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

koren posted:

How was I confused there? While Phml may have been cool with it, chillax does almost entirely consist of maps ripped from his poo poo and some other projects with a few architectural modifications and massively overhauled thing placement.

You're not "ripping" maps when they've been explicitly put out there for other people to use. And that's what Phml did, he put his maps up explicitly licensed and encouraged to go in other people's projects. You know, like a ton of mappers do.

That's like claiming people using Kevin McLeod's music are "ripping" from incompetech.com

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Max Wilco posted:

I doubt anyone is really interested in this, but I uploaded a video of Valve's Deathmatch Classic.

Was Deathmatch Classic ever really popular? I had looked at it on Steam a couple of times in the past and I thought it looked interesting, but I didn't think it was worth a purchase . I finally got it a couple of weeks ago when I picked up the Valve Complete Pack, but I only ran into two other players, and I'm not even sure if they were actual players or bots.

I used to play some DMC back in the day. I never played Quake/Quake 2 DM so that's the closest I got. Tons of fun, there were several bots that worked pretty well with it if you wanted to try out a more packed match, but who knows if they got ported to work with Steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
I know it's not really on topic, but I just finished Doom 2016 and I loved it but... why are boss battles still a thing?

Without exception boss battles have been the worst part of every game I've ever played. It was especially galling in a game where the primary enjoyment is from pushing forward and kicking rear end - to then have to go through the tedious grind of circle strafing... waiting for vulnerability... circle strafing... waiting for vulnerability...

Just took the shine off what was otherwise the best game I've played in years.

In more relevant news, I was delighted to discover there's still at least 20 dudes in Ukraine still playing the original Unreal Tournament at any given time. gently caress that game holds up, even if I mostly play bots on old maps I made that are still for some reason being hosted in like nine different places.