Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Ken's social skills resulted in GEORGE.TXT which is always a joy to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
What's that?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Yodzilla posted:

What's that?

It's a text file hidden in the Blood alpha that details one employee emailing another and just making GBS threads all the hell over Ken and his coding/business practices. It's magnificent and you should read it.

quote:

George:

I just got off the phone with Nick, who told me he had passed my previous message about Ken to you. I hope that you understand that I was really just venting at Nick, and I didn't intend that my message be passed on to you, Ken, or his father. There is still, however, a very significant problem we (Q Studios) have in dealing with Ken.

Every update Ken makes to his engine turns out to be a major tribulation for us. He regularly makes changes that break our code without any advance warning. He consistently ignores our requests for fixes or suggestions for design strategy. Nick is constantly on me to "Call him. Just get on the phone and talk to him," but to be honest, talking to Ken on the phone is pretty much near the bottom of the list of things I'd like to do with my life.

The problem is, he's just so completely unresponsive. I'll ask him a question, and nine out of ten times I'll either get silence or "I don't know" as a response. I know he's highly intelligent, but so are a lot of people I know, and I can TALK to THEM. Okay, so perhaps his personality is a bit different, but he still needs to work WITH us, not AGAINST us.

We've had a resource and memory manager in Blood since last year, and it's been working well and is very solid code at this point in time. To get it working back in December though, I had to completely replace parts of the engine, no thanks to Ken. A well designed system would have been built on the ground up from a good memory manager, or at the very least with hooks laid in so it could be developed later. To get our virtual memory system to work with Ken's engine, I had to spend weeks reverse engineering Ken's code, documenting variables, prototyping functions -- all things that Ken himself should have done or provided.

Now in June, he hacks in his "group file" system, and says we have to use it. In one sense he's right -- he's hard coded the thing into his engine, and it's broken Blood unless I can figure out which parts of the engine I need to replace. By the time we're done with Blood, we probably won't have any of Ken's engine left... Perhaps you'll want to reconsider the royalties that you are paying him.

A few months ago, Ken made a change to the engine that allowed each tile to have its own origin -- a reference point by which it could be positioned. This change was a good one, but there were some problems with the implementation. When the bit was turned on to enable sprites to be centered on their origin, animations bounced, and sprites appeared at the wrong position.

It turns out the solution was one of procedure -- by setting the origin at the base for sprites that are supposed to be on the floor, everything appears correctly. Unfortunately, setting the origin for several thousand tiles using Ken's EDITART tool was just a bit too cumbersome for us, so I spent a few days developing a tool that would allow simple tweaking of the tile origins, among other things. This tool is integrated with our new sequence editor, which will be used to create and edit all the actor animations (walking, attack, death, etc.)

Everything with this system was going fine until we discovered that Ken has some engine flaws in dealing with sprites that use origin based centering. The clipmove() function doesn't work, and neither does hitscan(). These two functions are pretty much essential to doing anything with the engine. I could rewrite them, of course, but that would be a few days to weeks out of our schedule, depending on how many more bugs and design problems crawl out of the woodwork.

We had waited a few months before switching to the new origin based centering, so I was quite surprised to find such fundamental problems with it. We called up Ken and told him about it, and he said he didn't think anyone was using it, but he really didn't know. We asked him to fix it.

Tonight I called up Ken because of the group file problems, and because we still don't have a fix for the clipmove() or hitscan() problems. Ken he wasn't going to fix it and we should go back to using the old centering mode. This is totally and completely unacceptable. We've already invested time and effort (need I say money?) into using something, and we're not about to waste more regressing.

Ken understands algorithms, and he understands graphics. What he doesn't get is how to design SYSTEMS. Everything he does to the engine is a piecemeal enhancement to something that should have been designed right from the beginning. The memory system is a poignant example of this. It is a hack, like most of his code, and not very robust. From what I've disassembled of the group file code (trying to figure out a way to eliminate or replace it), it too demonstrates plentiful opportunities for crashing the system -- pointers being freed without validation, files being closed without verifying the handle, etc.

Our resource and memory manager are quite superior to Ken's (no bragging),so to abandon our body of code would be a step in the wrong direction. When I mentioned to him that our resource manager used an LRU list to handle purging of resources, he said that he didn't understand how they worked and he didn't want to undertake something that complicated. It isn't that complex; it's just outside the realm of Ken's experience.

I usually end my phone conversations with Ken with something like the following: "Ken, is there anything I can do, anything I can provide to you, that would help you make these fixes or changes?" The answer is invariably "No." After we hang up, I usually bang my head on the desk for about ten minutes. I've tried to explain to Nick that this is why I don't like to call Ken, but I think he already knows.

Tonight I tried to explain to Ken what a library file is. I told him how linkers work, and how they resolve symbol name when producing an executable. I tried to impress on him the benefits of "code granularity" -- breaking a system up into as many small discrete modules as possible so that the linker can efficiently pack only used code into the executable. I informed him about "dead code", and why there was so much of his in Blood. I don't think I made any impression at all.

George, I want you to understand one thing. When I ask Ken to make a fix or enhancement, it is most surely something we absolutely need for Blood. I wouldn't force myself to make the phone otherwise. However, everything that I ask for would benefit not only Blood, but EVERY OTHER build project. I've spent enough time as a Project Manager for commercial programming tools that I know what makes a good API, and I know what makes a system extensible. The things I've been asking for are "hooks" so we can implement our own features, not have him do them for us.

I sometimes wonder, though, if I'm going against the flow. Perhaps Ken added his cache system in response to other teams request for a memory manager? Maybe the group file code was asked for by the Duke Nukem team? These fears usually turn out to be unfounded, since other teams report similar problems as a result of Ken's "updates."

I realize that most of the problems I've been describing with Ken are highly historical in nature, and there's no way to change the past. What can and must be done though is to make Ken more responsive to our needs. He needs to work WITH us, not against us. I don't know why he is so combative, but I can guess -- ego. He probably feels about his code the way a lot of programmers do: it's okay to criticize your own code, but for anyone else to do so is blasphemy. I used to be that way until I realized that a lot of the suggestions people were making to me were actually right.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 25, 2017

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Is that the one where George Broussaud or whoever admits to defrauding the IRS

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner

Shadow Hog posted:

Is that the one where George Broussaud or whoever admits to defrauding the IRS

No, that's EPIC.TXT.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I like Ken. I'm working with people (Chinese Tony Danza) who have had contact with him, and he seems like a cool guy :colbert:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

The ending of this one always makes me chuckle. Greg Malone was the DN3D director, right? What was his problem?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
For some reason I'm now thinking of the George Broussard Chair story and wishing it was true

edit: original page is gone but archive.org has it here

The Chair Story (original) posted:

This is a story I wrote on another site in response to someone wanting me to elaborate more on a “chair story” I had referred to that happened during my time at 3DR. It’s not something I wanted to lose to the shifty waters of the Internet though, so I’m re-posting here. It’s left as is except for some typo cleanups and other minor details. Enjoy.

Note: Unfortunately due to 3D Realms’ website being down, the images will not work. I’ll try to get the originals and host them here but I don’t imagine that’s the first thing on their webmaster’s mind right now so it may take a while.

I’m going to regret writing this and probably get myself into trouble but here it goes…

This all took place at E3 2001. I don’t know who here knows much about what things were like at that E3 but I’ll give a brief breakdown. DNF was being published by Gathering of Developers. They were known for being eccentric as publishers go, but had the best booths at E3 if you could get in. Rather than putting up a booth on the main floor, they rented out the parking lot across from the Staples Center, fenced it in and blocked off visibility. You could only get in if you were on the list, or for certain specified viewing events.

They had a stage with a huge screen behind it, midgets, strippers dressed as schoolgirls, punk and rockabilly bands, etc. Beer and burgers being grilled up by Levelord. The games were demoed in cool 50’s era trailers (not so cool for game demos but hey… they made the lot look cool). This was all affectionately called the GoD lot and it’s where the booth babes from all the *other* booths came to hang out in their off time.

Needless to say there really wasn’t much reason to go anywhere else for those few days.

I’ll use pictures from 3DR’s site to help match up visuals to the story.

So for example this was the line to get into the GoD lot:
http://www.3drealms.com/gallery/e30%85g_5125.jpg.html

The Stage:
http://www.3drealms.com/gallery/e301/dsc00092.jpg.html

sCary (Shacknews Steve Gibson) playing around in the middle of the lot:
http://www.3drealms.com/gallery/e30%85g_4712.jpg.html

Levelord grilling some burgers:
http://www.3drealms.com/gallery/e30%85g_4337.jpg.html

Chicks sucking on popsicles:
http://www.3drealms.com/gallery/e30%85g_4406.jpg.html

etc…

Strangely enough it’s hard to find stuff about the actual games being shown there. Dunno if that would have anything to do with why the Gathering isn’t around anymore.

Anyways…

The DNF 2001 trailer was out as everyone knows, and it was doing insanely well. The entire team was jazzed, people seemed to really love it and all anyone kept asking was “When the hell do we get to play this oh god!?!?!”

Before heading out to E3, George and Scott Miller had arranged a meeting between Epic, 3DR, and the people who had worked on Duke 3D but weren’t working on DNF. The intent of this meeting was… you guessed it… how best to handle the future of the Duke franchise. Epic was invited because having Duke around on the Unreal Engine was a constant PR boon for them. So they are almost just as invested in how well Duke does as 3DR (as you will see later). It was a secret meeting (there were actually two meetings, but I’ll get to that later), not even the publisher knew about it (except Mike Wilson… he was operating outside of the Gathering of Developer’s authority). The people there were Scott Miller, George Broussard, Cliffy B, Mark Rein, Tim Sweeney, Levelord, Allen Blum, Keith Schuler, myself, Brandon Reinhart, Mike Wilson, and even Todd Replogle and Ken Silverman made the trip out there.

Interestingly, Cliffy B wore his drat suits:
http://www.3drealms.com/gallery/e30%85g_5118.jpg.html

Which I don’t have to tell you was incredibly distracting and made it hard to take his points seriously. But at least we knew when he was raising his hand to speak. Due to the level of “heat” in this meeting we had to have a more formal process for speaking because we’d all just wind up talking over each other if we didn’t.

Brandon, Allen, and Cliffy on the way to the second meeting. Note that they aren’t as happy as in other pictures. There is a reason for this:
http://www.3drealms.com/gallery/e30%85g_4867.jpg.html

Don’t forget that this is what we would see when we would look out the rear window of our trailer while having our meetings:
http://www.3drealms.com/gallery/e30%85g_4509.jpg.html

The silver trailer behind Scott and George is where it was being held:
http://www.3drealms.com/gallery/e301/dsc00090.jpg.html

Anyways…

Most of us didn’t really know what the meeting was for going into it… and for the guys at 3DR at the time, we thought it was just going to be current 3DR people. Imagine our surprise to walk in and see that group of people sitting there! I’m such a huge Duke 3D fanboy, that I have to admit was a little intimidating being in the same room as pretty much all the core guys that made the game that got me started down the path of a game developer in the first place.

Anyways (for real this time)…

Scott quickly got to the point. Max Payne was going to do gangbusters… and 3DR had some other stuff up their sleeves that would be generating so much revenue for 3DR that they could continue on indefinitely… or at least another 5-10 years… without making a dime on internal development. Scott being the marketing buff he is (and Mark Rein being pretty much the same for Epic), they got this idea for how to generate the biggest story in the history of gaming. DNF being a monster hit is fine, but it wouldn’t make “forever” history. As you can tell from the name and what I’m about to describe, Scott and George apparently had this idea from the very start but weren’t sure they were going to act on it, but there wasn’t any harm in using a name that would play into it. So in order to make “Forever” history there was only one way to do that, and that is to turn it into something completely unprecedented in the industry. Turn it into the sort of thing that will be talked about 100 years from now.

I’m sure you can guess where this is ultimately going.

See in 2001 the jokes about DNF being late and vaporware were already widespread. It had already won the drat Wired vaporware award twice. Here was the funny thing… the attention on the game was actually only getting stronger, not weaker. It was the release of the video and how it was received that put the nail in the coffin. The game just had something that nothing else in the industry had and there wasn’t any way in hell such an opportunity could be missed. The attention had peaks and valleys, but it was looking sustainable.

When Scott and George put this out there, those of us on the DNF team were furious. I felt like I had been told my childhood was just an implanted memory, my parents were really actors, and that my penis was about 50% smaller than I thought it was. What the gently caress had we been doing the past 3 years? Everyone else actually seemed to already see this coming though, and took it in stride. Mark and Scott were a force to behold when they would get going on the possibilities. George seemed torn, because he loved the game and wanted to see people enjoying the stuff we had put together for the video, but he also knew this was just not something that anyone else in the industry would have a chance to try again for a very long time, if ever.

Todd and Ken didn’t say much, I think they were wondering why they were there. Levelord thought it would be fun to watch, but other than that had his own stuff going on with Ritual that was really his main focus. Mike Wilson kept cracking jokes, but he was clearly on board.

After they put it all out there, those of us on the team started to come around to what they were aiming for, and by the end of it we were bought in. It would be a lot of fun, we’d be paid well, and it would be a part of history that nothing else we would do would live up to. We didn’t quite know what we were getting into, but that’s why all the other guys were the experienced biz guys and we were young naive developers.

This was me during a break in the first meeting… I was actually wobbly in my legs and really did need to lie down:
http://www.3drealms.com/gallery/e30%85g_4841.jpg.html

I don’t think this was actually taken on any of the meeting days, but this is Mike Wilson. Ignore the label on the image… I think Joe was in a hurry:
http://www.3drealms.com/gallery/e30%85g_4710.jpg.html

The fateful video that I now wish hadn’t been as good as it was:
http://www.3drealms.com/gallery/e301/dsc00004.jpg.html

Keith and I after the first day… trying to distract ourselves from what we had just learned:
http://www.3drealms.com/gallery/e30%85g_4860.jpg.html

So about that chair?

The first meeting was really just getting everyone up to speed. We all needed time to absorb it… and what was being proposed. They needed everyone involved to buy off on it because we’d all be working through the years to maintain the plan.

The plan was actually pretty simple… create the longest developed game in history that eventually is one of the greatest games ever made. You have the time to work on it properly (no poo poo), so given the intelligence and talent of all the people involved, it was a pretty good bet. All 3DR had to do was make money on other stuff. All Epic had to do was open up a wide channel between the two companies. 3DR would serve as a research house for future Epic engine updates, but also give 3DR everything they did as well. The boots on the ground just had to keep the drum beating and keep the image of business as usual going. The truly hard to swallow part of this was some of us had to eventually leave, but we were guaranteed we’d be ok. All we had to do was let go of the idea of just making DNF in the traditional way… which I’m ashamed to admit was easier to let go of than I thought it would be.

In fact, with my role in this, I wouldn’t ever really work on the “real” DNF. That was a tough pill to swallow, but again the big picture looked good.

The beauty of the plan is that even though I’m telling you about it now, it is too late for it to have any negative impact on the long term goal. That’s something that took me a long term to come to grips with. It just *works* and I’ll be damned if I understand fully why or how. That’s biz and marketing brilliance for you… I just know how to put maps together or script up some gameplay. *sigh*

What Epic got out of this whole deal was basically this mystery project that is a constant “customer” of their engine, with people always speculating on whether it was updated to the newest one or not, etc. You would be surprised at how many licenses this has helped sell through the years. Who said business made any sense? Not to mention a team to just do research into engine upgrades without any pressure of actually releasing anything. Huge advantage. Notice that Epic really pulled ahead in the engine licensing business after 2001? That’s *not* an accident.

So that chair again.

We didn’t end the first chat on a particularly *good* note, but I think we were mostly exhausted… but there was an undercurrent of “can we really trust each other on this?”. That’s typical of any big business deal, but this was a case where we would be agreeing to hold this story steady for decades. Yes, decades. You don’t go into this lightly.

We all came back the next day (Cliffy in white thankfully, not red). We went around and gave our thoughts on things after having a night to sleep on it. Scott and George wanted to get paperwork signed that day if we were going to attempt it at all. This seemed *way* too soon and I didn’t have a lawyer around to read the contract or anything. I was young, but I had had enough experience by that point to know you don’t sign a contract of any significance without having a lawyer read it. Unfortunately it was made clear that this offer was active only so long as we were all in the room. Once any one of us left it was void and Scott, George, and Mark Rein (the three that put it together) would deny all knowledge. They had never done any discussions of this in written form except the contracts which Scott Miller was holding.

That was pressure… here was this deal where I would be set for life, and if I backed out of it, it would blow the whole thing for both companies and everyone involved. Not only would I be backing out of the opportunity of a lifetime, but I would also be ruined in the industry because those guys have way more power than I do. I wanted to do it, but how do you commit on such short notice and without really knowing what you are signing?

Brandon, Allen, Keith, and I kept hemming and hawing and we could tell we were really causing problems with everyone else in the room. I said that I wanted to do it, but I *had* to have a lawyer review it before I signed it. The fury in the eyes of the guys sitting across from me was literally enough to give me a third degree burn. I have *never* felt that much fear in my life. Well… up to that point at least.

I was told to think about my next words very carefully before giving my final answer. Honestly, I felt this was a test to see how well I would hold up to pressure later when we had to “hold the lie” (the similarity to “hold the line” isn’t on accident), so I held firm and said I really wanted to, but needed to have it reviewed…

oh gently caress…

Faster than I can even remember (literally… I don’t remember) I was knocked out of my chair by I *think* of all people Tim Sweeney (it was a wooden kitchen chair) and was pinned on the ground by Mike Wilson and Cliffy B (he’s so much stronger than I ever expected). George walks over to my chair and loving stomps the poo poo out of it until the legs are broken off. He casually picks up one of the legs that had split into a poo poo your pants style point and starts tossing it up and down. Scott and Mark Rein alternate on and off saying that I apparently wasn’t aware how *real* business is done and that if I didn’t want to find out why those two companies had maintained such a strong position in the industry dating back to the shareware days (when it seems people didn’t ask nearly as many questions about why developers appeared, made a game, and then disappeared without a trace)… I had better reconsider my answer.

I do remember the next part very very well though… I will never forget it and I have to admit that I have dreams about it pretty frequently.

Cliffy and Mike pulled me up and shoved my face about 6 inches from the point of the chair leg. I was drenched in sweat (the trailers didn’t have decent AC so it was already hot as hell in there)… and if they had let go of me I would not have been able to stand on my own.

George looked me in the eyes and asked me one more time what I was going to do… so at that point I did what anyone would do…

Convex fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 25, 2017

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Convex posted:

For some reason I'm now thinking of the George Broussard Chair story and wishing it was true

What's this?

I remember a story about Broussard (or maybe Malone?) mandating that a dick gib be created for DN3D before being shut down by the other one, but I don't know any chair story.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
As the project director who has the most direct contact with him (re: Ken's Labyrinth II), I can attest that Ken's a really nice guy. Then again, he's not programming anything for us so I can't say anything on that front.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
To be fair he was a teenager back then.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

What people were like years ago, much less 20 years ago, is rarely an indication of who they are now! He's probably mellowed out a lot since then.
I was the dumbest douchebag ten years ago. v:v:v

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

TerminusEst13 posted:

I was the dumbest douchebag ten years ago. v:v:v

Was?

:smug:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I was exactly the same ten years ago as I am today in that I start 5,000,000 projects at once and might finish possibly one of them.

My latest Doom map is one is one such project.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Glagha posted:

Actually now that I think about it, doesn't the blur sphere have the corner case effect that enemies won't alert by sight if they're still asleep if you're invisible?

No, that's a Heretic thing, that ZDoom for reasons beyond comprehension makes default everywhere. ZDoom isn't as Doom accurate as some people tend to think.

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jul 25, 2017

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

That's some pretty nice-lookin' grass. Is it a bunch of decorative Things, or just Middle linedef textures?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Shadow Hog posted:

That's some pretty nice-lookin' grass. Is it a bunch of decorative Things, or just Middle linedef textures?

The former, but I might convert them all to the latter because having hundreds of things in one room probably will not be good for performance on not-as-beefy PC's :sweatdrop:

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
I'm sure Ken is a nice guy, but from what I've seen of his coding standard, I'd find it hard to actually work with the guy, but I would absolutely love to listen to what he has to say.

Convex posted:

edit: original page is gone but archive.org has it here

I find it hard to believe this to be true, but it was a really entertaining read.

Levelord on the grill is something I need to see.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

As the project director who has the most direct contact with him (re: Ken's Labyrinth II), I can attest that Ken's a really nice guy. Then again, he's not programming anything for us so I can't say anything on that front.

Just letting you guys know that I'm still eagerly awaiting Ken's Labyrinth II and look forward to any progress. :allears:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Yesterday I found a CD I burned in 1999, labeled "Games Backup 2". Amazingly, I could read it all with zero errors. It's mostly uninteresting things, but it does have my complete old Duke3D folder, including a bunch of WIP maps and some lovely modding. :allears: I haven't had time to look at it all, hoping to do that later today. I just wish I could find my old Quake stuff somewhere.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Shadow Warrior Classic updated again on Steam with even more development debris.

For one, a proof-of-concept pre-dating the BUILD engine's use or the game's name was dug up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiphDDfJQrQ

And the September 1995 prototype (which has an uncracked EXE preventing it from running) has been given an optional "frankenbuild" EXE compiled from the earliest source code the archivist could dig up, dated a month later, allowing it to be played... sort of. Very buggy.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jul 26, 2017

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

The Kins posted:

Shadow Warrior Classic updated again on Steam with even more development debris.

For one, a proof-of-concept pre-dating the BUILD engine's use or the game's name was dug up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiphDDfJQrQ

And the September 1995 prototype (which has an uncracked EXE preventing it from running) has been given an optional "frankenbuild" EXE compiled from the earliest source code the archivist could dig up, dated a month later, allowing it to be played... sort of. Very buggy.

Man, the amount of alpha/beta content dug up for this game is unprecedented. Who would've thought freakin' Shadow Warrior would have enough archived material and someone with the wherewithal to get it in a playable/"playable" state?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

catlord posted:

Man, gently caress Interplay.

Interplay put pretty much all their IP up for sale several months ago, so I imagine the price hikes are due to IP changing hands.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Wamdoodle posted:

Man, the amount of alpha/beta content dug up for this game is unprecedented. Who would've thought freakin' Shadow Warrior would have enough archived material and someone with the wherewithal to get it in a playable/"playable" state?
A lot of backups of old 3DR hard drives have been preserved and sorted through by various Interceptor/EDuke32 dudes. Shadow Warrior is just the only one so far where the rights holder is cool enough to let the stuff that's being dug up get publicly released. Non-SW stuff may get released in the future, but the planets need to align first...

It also helps that Shadow Warrior went through a lot of changes and development hell over the years, so the changes from build-to-build can be pretty dramatic!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Rocket Pan posted:

I don't see this mod posted anywhere here; The ZDoom forums (the moderators and developers no-less) reacted by pooping all over the author for the heinous crime of not being able to magically support the latest GZDoom, and as such behavior infuriates me so much (and because it's a really creative mod), I can not possibly ask you to download lilith enough.

Download lilith!

What the gently caress did I just play?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Interplay put pretty much all their IP up for sale several months ago, so I imagine the price hikes are due to IP changing hands.

I remember they were going up for sale, but heard nothing afterwards. Any news on who picked it up? Didn't Interplay want to sell it all in bulk or something rather than piecemeal?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

catlord posted:

I remember they were going up for sale, but heard nothing afterwards. Any news on who picked it up? Didn't Interplay want to sell it all in bulk or something rather than piecemeal?
There's been no news whatsoever, and yes, they wanted to do an all-or-nothing bulk sale.

I personally suspect that nobody's bitten and they're trying to squeeze a few last bucks out to keep the lights on.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Uncle Kitchener posted:

I'm sure Ken is a nice guy, but from what I've seen of his coding standard, I'd find it hard to actually work with the guy, but I would absolutely love to listen to what he has to say.

I had a friend look at the build engine's sourcecode once and they were baffled that he had Assembly calls alongside the C stuff and other bizarre things, all in one huge bloated file with very little broken off.
We should also keep in mind the guy was like, 16 when he did all this stuff, so of course it's gonna be difficult to work with him.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Is Lilith supposed to be a horror wad because I find the experience frightening. I managed to play the first level before I gave up.

The quitting messages were amusing, though.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Diabetes Forecast posted:

I had a friend look at the build engine's sourcecode once and they were baffled that he had Assembly calls alongside the C stuff and other bizarre things, all in one huge bloated file with very little broken off.
We should also keep in mind the guy was like, 16 when he did all this stuff, so of course it's gonna be difficult to work with him.

I would understand if it was the 80s or 90s, but these days, good luck finding under-18 prodigies as engineers. If one exists, I think they're either self-employed or working on mods.

He's doing his own thing these days and I'm really happy for the guy :ocelot:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Diabetes Forecast posted:

Doing assembly calls intermixed in C code is very typical design for something using C and seeking good performance in the day (and often even now), especially when you have absolutely no plans for porting your code to another architecture. Only the "all in one file" thing is close to weird there and even then... a lot of programmers got lazy in that way if they had the luxury of a system that could handle the whole thing being loaded.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I doubt anyone is really interested in this, but I uploaded a video of Valve's Deathmatch Classic.

Was Deathmatch Classic ever really popular? I had looked at it on Steam a couple of times in the past and I thought it looked interesting, but I didn't think it was worth a purchase . I finally got it a couple of weeks ago when I picked up the Valve Complete Pack, but I only ran into two other players, and I'm not even sure if they were actual players or bots.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Max Wilco posted:

I doubt anyone is really interested in this, but I uploaded a video of Valve's Deathmatch Classic.

Was Deathmatch Classic ever really popular? I had looked at it on Steam a couple of times in the past and I thought it looked interesting, but I didn't think it was worth a purchase . I finally got it a couple of weeks ago when I picked up the Valve Complete Pack, but I only ran into two other players, and I'm not even sure if they were actual players or bots.

I'm not a multiplayer guy, but I did play a round or two one time, well past any popularity it might have had. I thought I was playing against humans, but I topped the leader board pretty handily so maybe not.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Isn't there STILL an unreleased Shadow Warrior Add-on?

Wanton Destruction was the poo poo, y'all.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mill Village posted:

Is Lilith supposed to be a horror wad because I find the experience frightening. I managed to play the first level before I gave up.

Yes, kinda:

anotak posted:

to answer your question, if you're actually curious:
i really enjoy glitchy music and art, and doom itself always felt kind of glitchy to me. i grew up playing 90s wads and running into homs and tutti-frutti glitches and all sorts of nonsense all over.
i like stuff like moire patterns, the colors that happens when you put a magnet by a CRT, and anything that's well, broken. i wanted to all bring that together, and maybe make something cool.

i also just wanted to bring back that sense of discomfort, fear, but also wonder i felt as a small child playing map01 of doom 2. before that i had only played wolf3d on a black and white monitor. but here were these menacing pixelated creatures in the darkness. playing on that dodgy color crt with the gamma way too low used to give me motion sickness, and scared the poo poo out of me. but i was hooked anyway?

i also just drew from some really unpleasant personal feelings/issues i've had in my life. i tried to create a doom wad that expressed that. just to vent my emotions. it helped some.

i dont know if i achieved any of that, but that's just what i went for.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Stuffing all your source code into one file is justifiable homicide for anyone who has to maintain it later. I'd lose my mind if I saw an error on line number that was 5 digits long.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Narcissus1916 posted:

Isn't there STILL an unreleased Shadow Warrior Add-on?

Wanton Destruction was the poo poo, y'all.

Deadly Kiss. There's some people working on finishing it up based on what they have, but I guess someone also leaked the files too.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes
Good news everyone; Turok1 and Turok2 are now in a bundle together, with a 25% discount. If you haven't grabbed them before (or only have one of them), the bundle is a good option.
http://store.steampowered.com/bundle/3736/Turok_Bundle/

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jul 28, 2017

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Rocket Pan posted:

Good news everyone; Turok1 and Turok2 are now in a bundle together, with a 25% discount. If you haven't grabbed them before, the bundle is a good option.
http://store.steampowered.com/bundle/3736/Turok_Bundle/

I might, but then I bought them at release because impulse purchases and nostalgia! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

catlord posted:

Deadly Kiss. There's some people working on finishing it up based on what they have, but I guess someone also leaked the files too.

Files?! Do those lead to actual playable levels, or do we need to wait for the current dev team's product?