Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Bee posted:

I wouldn't mind splitting the difference so a Primaris counts as 2 models. That way you have to take MSU without character support for transporting Primaris, but they aren't literally incompatible.

Yeah that would be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Protip - do not glue Admech Rangers/Vanguard to their bases before painting, because then when it comes time to do the inside of the cloak, you will hate everyone and everything.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

moths posted:

4chan's Angry Marines are so loving stupid.

Saw a Primaris Angry Marine on Facebook just today

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Got back into painting with these woofs. No decent lighting setup so you get the kitchen table.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TheChirurgeon posted:

I'm prepping myself for disappointment on this one; in a leaked blurb for the iTunes downloadable book they only mention 3 powers each for Nurgle/Slaanesh/Tzeentch marks; I'm actually baffled by the notion that there may not even be unmarked powers in the book

e: gently caress the datacards preview even confirms this--the Chaos Datacards include 10 powers, one of which is smite. gently caress off with that poo poo, GW

I don't understand your complaint here.

They get six new Dark Hereticus powers, 3 of which are God Specific.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 30, 2017

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

MonsterEnvy posted:

I don't understand your complaint here.

They get six new 6 Dark Hereticus powers, 3 of which are God Specific.

So 3 Index powers, 3 general Codex powers, a Nurgle power, a Slaanesh power, and a Tzeentch power? Sounds fair to me. Gives sorcerers a leg up over other psykers.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
I think the complaint is variety. People may just want more options to psychic powers rather then potentially just different versions of smite.

Personally one Slaanesh power doesn't even justify key wording/marking unless its good.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I have learned something with my Tyranids.

The big ones die first. And fast. So many things out there deal multiple wounds and damage them with ease. Trygons, Hive Tyrants, Exocrines. They all just seem to be magnets for big weapon fire, which everyone seems to have quite a lot of.

So I came up with the following.

Battalion:
Malanthrope
Magus
Magus
3 rippers
30 termagants with 10 devourers
30 termagants with 10 devourers

Battalion
Broodlord
Broodlord
15 Genestealers
15 Genestealers
15 Genestealers
15 Genestealers

Supreme Command
Magus
Magus
Magus
Magus
Magus

Gives me 8 command points, and at least on the first turn, if anyone wants to shoot a heavy weapon, they're at best doing it at a 12 point model. 60 genestealers is gonna swarm over quite a number of things. 60 termagants provides quite a lot of bubble wrap for the characters. 7 maguses will smite a lot. Mind Control and Mass Hypnosis are also really useful. Genestealers being able to assault without fear of overwatch is huge. It takes some careful placement, but I'm usually able to get most, if not all, units within 3" of the malanthrope turn 1. It's been good in the few games I've played it with.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Sickly pale birb (successors) for life.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

For_Great_Justice posted:

I think the complaint is variety. People may just want more options to psychic powers rather then potentially just different versions of smite.

Personally one Slaanesh power doesn't even justify key wording/marking unless its good.

The whole point of psyker powers should be options. Otherwise they're just guns with different fluff. There's no point having a psychic phase if there aren't options; roll it into the shooting phase at that point.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
So what's the final verdict on Hellblasters? Everything in Dark Imperium seems pretty solid but I'm not sure about these guys. The heavy variant and aggressors just seem better based on what you need?

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

The basic Hellblasters in rapid fire range are super, super brutal.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Bombogenesis posted:

So what's the final verdict on Hellblasters? Everything in Dark Imperium seems pretty solid but I'm not sure about these guys. The heavy variant and aggressors just seem better based on what you need?

My 7yr old daughter vaporized my 8 man Berserker unit and a Hellbrute with 5 of them today. They seemed good.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

For_Great_Justice posted:

We went from 3 to 6, and Chaos gets an extra 3 on top of that. And if Death Guard is any indication Sons and Emperor's Children will also likely get a full expansion. That'll be a total of, what, 7 powers devoted to a single god? Seens variety enough without hitting 8th level absurdity.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Can confirm, but they need the rerolls really bad. Without them they can't supercharge reliably without all dying in like two turns, and supercharging is really useful for pushing those wounds through. Otherwise you're still "only" wounding most infantry on 3+ and tanks on 4+. Supercharging pushes it down to 2+ and 3+, which is a pretty big swing if you're putting out 10 shots.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Strobe posted:

Can confirm, but they need the rerolls really bad. Without them they can't supercharge reliably without all dying in like two turns, and supercharging is really useful for pushing those wounds through. Otherwise you're still "only" wounding most infantry on 3+ and tanks on 4+. Supercharging pushes it down to 2+ and 3+, which is a pretty big swing if you're putting out 10 shots.

Yeah she had the captain and lieutenant behind them.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Question about how the roll modifiers work - Kastelan Robot Repulsor Grids work on a 5+, and if you roll a 6+ it deflects the shot back and causes a mortal wound.

With the Aegis Protocol active, they add +1 to their armor and invulnerable saves. Does this mean that rolls of either a 5 or a 6 would deflect back a mortal wound?

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

Serotonin posted:

My 7yr old daughter vaporized my 8 man Berserker unit and a Hellbrute with 5 of them today. They seemed good.

This is really awesome and adorable.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
It may just come from having 6 powers for a god alone plus commin ones for options of powers. I do feel its not enough but I'm biased.

Look at it this way. I have two chaos sorcerers. Both are nurgle, both have the same three powers. Beyond war gear they're the same. In a legion it'll likely be they can only have base powers plus god powers but whatever the best three are they'll have those every time. Not a lot of variance.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Played against tau and admech, 50 pl konor lists.

I was defender both games. I had a captain and 4 full dev squads, between them were 4 lascannon, 4 missiles, 4 heavy bolters, 2 plasma cannon, 2 grav cannons, 4 combi plasmas.

Gameplan was to have the devs in cover with my captain while the bolter combat squads played interference.

Tau brought ethereal, fireblade, 2 min fire warrior strike teams, min breacher team, piranha, 3 stealth suits, 3 crisis suits, pathfinders, various drones

It was a pretty lovely thing for tau to have to attack a dug in imperial force. Bottom of turn 1 I called in an orbital strike, wiping out a good chunk of his drone presence, wounding the ethereal, and killing 5 fire warriors. I was able to shoot his pathfinders and stealth suits to pieces early on, and nuked the piranha with lascannons. crisis suits deep striked and wiped out a quarter of my heavy weapons but got killed off by what was left, the rest was mopped up pretty easy

Admech brought cawl, datasmith, 4 kastellans, 3 destroyers.

I gave a good accounting of myself but the bolter marines were useless and the destroyers wiped out a devastator squad each turn. I poured countless lascannon and krak missile shots into the kastelans but he made 80+% of his invuln saves, I killed 2 over the course of the game. Got tabled pretty hard. His poo poo looked awesome.

This place needs more forests, I have no idea why it takes place in the mushroom kingdom so often

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Crosspostin' because this is a pretty little man and I'll probably figure out some way to run him with my chaos marines.

Safety Factor posted:

My local store held a painting contest yesterday. Contestants had a month to paint a Warhammer/AoS model of their choice, to be judged by someone with an actual background in art. Naturally, I chose loving SLAMBO.

I did my best to mimic the studio scheme, that blended green took 3-4 hours to do. It was done with three shades of green and then tied together with a glaze. Highlights were done in yet another two shades of green and took another couple of hours. :shepface: Not to mention the metallics and other details. Either way, this model was a ton of fun to paint and I got to try out new techniques I will probably never, ever use again. As ever, there are a couple of things I'd like to touch up, like the highlights on the eyebrow ridge, but all entries are being kept on display at the store for two weeks.

Anyways, back to the contest, there were a lot of great entries, including one by a commission painter. I thought I'd maybe take second or third, but the main competition, a skaven grey seer on a monstrous rat ogre-beast (formerly the End Times version of Thanquol and Boneripper), was apparently missing some attention to detail and I squeaked by. It was actually a tie, but the judge gave it to me because I had the higher painting score. I didn't even know what I was competing for and it turned out I won a $35 gift card.

SLAMBO

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jul 30, 2017

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

The Bee posted:

So 3 Index powers, 3 general Codex powers, a Nurgle power, a Slaanesh power, and a Tzeentch power? Sounds fair to me. Gives sorcerers a leg up over other psykers.

This actually makes more sense. The way I originally read it was 3 powers each for Nurgle/Slaanesh/Tzeentch, so they'd make up all 9 and the Index powers would get removed. Which seemed real bad.

Objection suspended

Cyberpope v2
Oct 26, 2002

by Lowtax
Sounds like you won by SlamBonus.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Safety Factor posted:

Crosspostin' because this is a pretty little man and I'll probably figure out some way to run him with my chaos marines.

Slambowns

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Are people really rigid about paint schemes when playing chapters? I'm entertaining the idea of a semi-camouflage scheme for my Reivers and Scouts. Is it enough to have just a shoulder pad blue with the Ultra symbol?

Also curious about why the Stormtalon is so much more expensive than the Stormhawk? Maybe I'm answering my own question but is the hover option worth that much?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

StuG Jeebus posted:

Are people really rigid about paint schemes when playing chapters? I'm entertaining the idea of a semi-camouflage scheme for my Reivers and Scouts. Is it enough to have just a shoulder pad blue with the Ultra symbol?

Anyone who gives you poo poo about that isn't someone that you want to play with anyway.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

StuG Jeebus posted:

Also curious about why the Stormtalon is so much more expensive than the Stormhawk? Maybe I'm answering my own question but is the hover option worth that much?

You can run any color of marines with any chapter tactics. The only time it would be confusing is if you wanted to run two seperate marine detachments with different tactics and everything was painted the same. You can even proxy characters appropriate to tht chapter (so your could play your captain within power sword as Ultramarines Captain Sicarus if you took those tactics).

A fluffy example would be using the Raven Guard tactics for Ultramarines 8th company (the all assault squad one).

Legendary Ptarmigan fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jul 30, 2017

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I've never encountered anyone, even the most rigid lore assholes or WYSIWYG enthusiasts, who would give two shits about what color your marines are.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
It doesn't matter what color your army is. If you make it work within the rules, it's not a problem.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Echoing it again, if some grognard is going to complain about your "non-standard" Ultramarines scheme just don't play with them. Clean UM shoulderplates on a camo'd out body sounds dope. Do it and post results!

Mr.Fuzzywig
Dec 13, 2006
I play too much Supcom

Zuul the Cat posted:

Question about how the roll modifiers work - Kastelan Robot Repulsor Grids work on a 5+, and if you roll a 6+ it deflects the shot back and causes a mortal wound.

With the Aegis Protocol active, they add +1 to their armor and invulnerable saves. Does this mean that rolls of either a 5 or a 6 would deflect back a mortal wound?

I didn't see anyone answer this but yes. Aegis protocol lets you reflect back wounds real nice.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

JoshTheStampede posted:

I've never encountered anyone, even the most rigid lore assholes or WYSIWYG enthusiasts, who would give two shits about what color your marines are.

I agree--I generally don't care how people paint their mans (or even if they're painted to begin with, though I prefer painted), and haven't met many people who have

Though I will still reflexively arch an eyebrow at "my Ultramarines are using Ravenguard rules" because that's usually a portent of some real bullshit to come

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Mr.Fuzzywig posted:

I didn't see anyone answer this but yes. Aegis protocol lets you reflect back wounds real nice.

I can confirm that this is both true and extremely loving irritating.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
So I notice killshot says that "the predators'" weapons get bonuses, not "the predator's". So the stratagem works on all of them.

Mr.Fuzzywig
Dec 13, 2006
I play too much Supcom

Genghis Cohen posted:

I can confirm that this is both true and extremely loving irritating.

The best thing is when you have six kastellans in cover and they tank literally everything the enemy army throws at it, Then switch to shooting protocols and throw 108 str 8 -2ap shots down range from SIX models. Rerolling all failed hits of course because you took cawl and your a G.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
I have HIGH HOPES for the upcoming Chaos codex

HIGH HOPES

DON'T gently caress THIS UP GAMES WORKSHOP

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Man.

gently caress Aggressors.

So god damned fiddly.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

chutche2 posted:

So I notice killshot says that "the predators'" weapons get bonuses, not "the predator's". So the stratagem works on all of them.

Yes. It's a really drat good strategem, and I'm genuinely not sure whether it's better to use with Autocannon Predators for the number of shots that are wounding vehicles on 3+ and everything else on 2+ for 3 guaranteed damage, or on Lascannon Predators to wound literally everything on 2+ but lose out on average shots and on consistency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

goose willis posted:

I have HIGH HOPES for the upcoming Chaos codex

HIGH HOPES

DON'T gently caress THIS UP GAMES WORKSHOP

Pucker your butte. Here comes GW