Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
We have a pretty good environment near me. Probably about 15 regulars and I think we all have full playsets, or pretty close to it (I'm missing a few legendaries from Awakenings). We have a bi-weekly event that is usually a Q3 tourney, and a couple of other stores sprinkle events throughout the month. Our season 3 league just wrapped up and we are on a break from that, but the fourth should start up in a few weeks.

We've had a couple of new players come in recently, but it definitely is stagnating in that regard. That said, the players we have are all great and everyone gets along with everyone else with the exception of one guy that we all tolerate. The new people are happy because they get showered in cards at events because a couple of us open up stuff we all have a million of and just hand them out to whoever wants them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001

Hauki posted:

I remember trying to trade with a couple of them when I first went to an event there pre-Awakenings reprint and one dude had literal dozens of some of the staple commons, battlefields etc. that I was trying to pick up, and it slowly became clear he wasn't actually willing to part with any of it. I think I pulled out a couple isolations from his pile of 20 odd and he promptly slipped them back in, saying he "probably needs those."

Anyway, the rest of the player pool seems to be evenly split between guys who have most of what they need, can probably field several competitive decks but just don't have a chance to play outside of a couple times a month, and high school to college age kids who just don't have the money or ability to put together a decent collection, so they play whatever they can scrape together. I was also surprised at the number of people who had shared collections there and had to make weird or suboptimal inclusions in their decks to play around whatever their friends were already using.

I guess the part that bothers me is very few of the guys with giant hoards of cards and tons of experience are willing to engage at all outside of their little cliques, and of those even fewer seem to have any interest in trying to grow the game or help new players get into it. Like now that I've got a reasonably large collection myself, you can bet I'm never going to use a dozen isolations simultaneously, so gently caress it, commons are virtually worthless anyway, might as well give a couple away if it helps some new dude stick around and stay vested in the game.

:words:

That's so weird. I'm part of a group where each person pre-orders two boxes at launch. So most of us have pretty sizable collections. But we are always trying to get new players into the game. We have a stack of duplicate commons and uncommons that just gets passed around to whoever needs anything. And we have given duplicate rares to new players to get them in the game.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Communities vary, even within communities!
About half the players here are players who also play X-Wing and know each other from that, and the other half are MtG grinders who also all know each other already and are not interested in growing the community.

They've even named their clique :rolleyes:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Basically everyone whos been a pile of poo poo in our area about destiny are former/current magic players. This game needs new players asap but goddamn if the magic people dont drive them away instantly

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I find it intimidating to play otherwise I'd go to tourneys. That said I have a bunch of repeats and cards I don't need from this booster box so I kinda wanna network and trade some away :(.

Is there a online resource for trading?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
You can trade here or the Destiny FB groups. There are probably a lot of people that will help you out fleshing out your commons and stuff.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Empress Brosephine posted:

I find it intimidating to play otherwise I'd go to tourneys. That said I have a bunch of repeats and cards I don't need from this booster box so I kinda wanna network and trade some away :(.

Is there a online resource for trading?

There is a facebook trading group that's OK.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/StarWarsDestinyMarket/

You might check your local area to see if there's a facebook trading group too (there's one in mine for all star wars games, X-Wing, IA, Destiny, etc.)

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001
We're doing a mono-color tournament on Friday. Each player builds one deck in each color, using only cards from that color as well as greys. Then based on a random assignment, you have to play each deck an equal number of times. We also have done limited constructed tournaments each time a new set comes out. For that we open 18 boosters and you have to build a deck using only those cards and the starters. (If you pull a high demand legendary, ie palp/force speed for SOR, you have to take a shot) Anyone else done any fun alternative formats?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
40 point tournaments and no hero/villain restrictions are both fun variants. We also played rainbow decks (one character of each color, single dice each, no point restriction) and that was good, but Palp probably ruins it now.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Yeah, Palpatine really skews both of those variants. 40 points I'd run Elite Palp and a TIE Pilot which I think would be gross, and similarly with no point restriction 3-color he's a 15hp bear who still does sick damage.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
cool thanks for the lists and suc hguys.

forced my girlfriend to play with me last night using the startes (I don't even wanna touch this pile of new cards yet haha). was fun.

I was looking up some decks on SwDestinyb or w/e it's called to see what I can incorporate my cards with, didn't really see any of the characters that i'd like to play because they have cool art :shrug: . Relaly want to use this Grievous and Jabba as a team :getin:

Also was surprised to not see many decks with Luke in them!

That said, if anyone has a Force Choke and another grievous they're looking to trade away let me know and what you want.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

cool thanks for the lists and suc hguys.

forced my girlfriend to play with me last night using the startes (I don't even wanna touch this pile of new cards yet haha). was fun.

I was looking up some decks on SwDestinyb or w/e it's called to see what I can incorporate my cards with, didn't really see any of the characters that i'd like to play because they have cool art :shrug: . Relaly want to use this Grievous and Jabba as a team :getin:

Also was surprised to not see many decks with Luke in them!

That said, if anyone has a Force Choke and another grievous they're looking to trade away let me know and what you want.

You're in luck, because Grievous goes real cheap on the secondary market.
http://www.thechancecube.com/card-price-watch/
This site does a weekly update pulling in card prices from online retailers to serve as a sort of price guide. You can frequently find Grievous for $3 or so.

Luke has good damage sides and a good ability, you sometimes see him with Rey. I expect Luke will get better if a new and better buddy gets released for him, or if monoblue stuff gets a deeper card pool

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh wow that is cheap rad. Thanks :D.

I was thinking of making a eKylo 2 night deck or whatever those villain girls are called. Looks fun.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
Well, I went 3-3 in Swiss at the local store championship today, and ended up about 13th out of 30-some players. I'd reckon that was a pretty decent result going into it running a Qui-Gonn/Rey deck with neither Force Speed nor Vibroknife (since I don't own any). It was a bit of a bummer though, since I started out 3-1 and then got completely shut down by eVader/Guard (which killed Qui-Gonn turn one, sad!) and then ePalp, which I didn't really have an answer for.

I'm starting to come around to this game, I think it might replace X-Wing for my FFG star wars competitive game of choice, for a variety of reasons.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are you basically boned if you don't go into tournaments with a non top deck right now?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Are you basically boned if you don't go into tournaments with a non top deck right now?
If it's a proper tourny, yes

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
I'd argue less so than any other TCG, as the high-variance of the dice in Destiny can, no matter how strong the deck or sound the strategy, completely gently caress things up and bend over to solid "lower tier" decks.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's cool. I find it fun to create experimental decks than go by a list

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I won store champs this weekend (16 or 17 people?) with Emo Kids!

Honestly, you can play a non meta list and do well enough but you're seriously hampering your chances of winning. Obviously do what you think is the most fun, but there are enough good decks in tier 1/1.5 that you should be able to find something that you enjoy playing.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there a good site to look at the top decks?

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

http://www.thehyperloops.com/gauntlet/ is pretty good

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks. Do any of you guys play on TTS at all? Or anyone beginner level lol

Hauki
May 11, 2010

re: store champ chat, my local one is coming up in less than a week, local meta is lots of luke/rey, some poe/maz, some anakin/kylo and then misc. one offs incl. han/rey, aurra/jango, various trooper lists, that maz/rey/snap thing, epalp.

thinking about trying out vader/guard maybe, I keep looking at various FN lists but I can't loving find vibroknucklers of all things so that leaves me with like, fn/anakin or fn/dooku. I've mostly played anakin/kylo locally but that seems to have a pretty even matchup vs. luke/rey in my experience so far, so I might want a different approach.
Anyone played vader/guard or vader/raider since the fast hands errata, have any insights or opinions?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Thanks. Do any of you guys play on TTS at all? Or anyone beginner level lol

I'm Morgant if you wanna add me on steam, I still don't know a loving thing about how to actually use the TTS module though, trying to work out how to make or import a deck right now

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'll add ya. I don't know how to use it either but I guess that's maybe part of the charm lol

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's no need for more than two of each card right? Trying to see what I should get rid of etc

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001

There's no need for more than two of each card right? Trying to see what I should get rid of etc

For the most part that is correct. There are a few exceptions with characters - like deathtroopers that you can run three of or troopers/tie pilots that you can upgrade with training.

Also, it's nice to have extra of some of the more popular cards so that you can have multiple decks going at once.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cool thanks for the help, I forgot about characters that aren't unique.

What do you guys do with the extra cards you have when you e a character? Just put it in storage?

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001

Cool thanks for the help, I forgot about characters that aren't unique.

What do you guys do with the extra cards you have when you e a character? Just put it in storage?

I keep all of my cards in binders so I just keep the extra character cards in the character section of each binder. There's not that many. Maybe I'm OCD, but I'd recommend sleeving character cards in colored sleeves to match their color. I keep characters and legendaries sleeved while in the binders but everything else only gets sleeved when in a deck.

Cobaltshift
Jul 15, 2013

Do any of you guys use those twin flip n tray boxes for your decks? They seem really nice.

Wotsnik
Sep 28, 2005
Just because you can see it, doesn't mean it's not invisible.
Yeah I use the 200+ Twin Flip'n'Silly Name one and like it a lot. Holds two sleeved decks each with up to 24 dice without being a squeeze (though double sleeving makes it very tight) and has the tray in the middle for all the tokens.
Only negative is it is a little fat so won't really fit in my backpack alongside much else.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Yeah, I really like mine too. I do two single sleeved decks plus some spare sleeves etc on the one side, the appropriate dice for those decks on the other, tokens in the center drawer. Been debating getting a second because I like them so much, but it's not like I can build more than two real decks at at time anyway.

Cobaltshift
Jul 15, 2013

Good to hear! I think I'll pick one up from my game store tomorrow! They look really slick and seem to be of superb quality. I'd like to be able to store a hero and villain deck in one case so when I go to see friends and family I can bring both.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
Picked up 2 packs of Awakenings while in Cali on vacation and waited to open them till I got home.

Han Solo and Force Choke.

I should have bought more packs.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Freakin jealous. I'm missing like 20 cards from awakenings and they're all the good ones :(

I've been learning how to play but my gf hates the game so the cards just sit there. Might just get rid of them and play on TTS :( :( I just love the art so much on these

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Freakin jealous. I'm missing like 20 cards from awakenings and they're all the good ones :(

I've been learning how to play but my gf hates the game so the cards just sit there. Might just get rid of them and play on TTS :( :( I just love the art so much on these

Where do you live? Have you looked into your local scene at all?

My girlfriend refuses to play and none of my boardgame/ex-magic friends have really gotten into it, but there's a growing scene local to me.
I have to work pretty often during their regular meet ups, but I still manage to play at least twice a month. Also going to try to do a round of store champs, I think there's quite a few coming up this next month or two.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Trip report: tried my janky homebrew version of Vader guard last week at a store champ, went 4-1 in Swiss and lost to the eventual winner after the cut, landed just outside of playmat range. We had 40 something signed up, but a bunch of dudes dropped after first round losses.

My Swiss loss was to the mirror, where I got loving wrecked by a combination of abysmal rolls, opportunistic feel your angers and teched in blocks. The meta for the store champ was way different than the usual tournament meta there, even those it was a lot of the same players. I think like 1 in 3 were running variations of Vader guard or Vader raider, and another good chunk of rainbow FN or Funkar. Saw a few ePalp, couple Luke/Rey still, couple anakin/kylo, a phasma/guavian/trooper, baze/snap and maybe a baze/rey. I forget what else.

I've been messing around with other decks in the meantime, but I think I'm gonna try the same list today at a different store champ with a few changes in removal package, expecting a pretty similar meta to last week overall.

In other news my LGS has had ten plus boxes of awakenings sitting on the shelf for a few weeks now, which makes me more hopeful about future product availability.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Heading to a store championship today myself. Bringing Luke/Rey because it's what I have together and have been playing at our casual weekly tournaments for the last couple months, so it's familiar and comfortable. Not expecting huge results, but whatever. It's a fun deck when it gets its Force Speed comboing going, and I made a couple slight changes to my list last night. Was being janky with Premonitions which is awesome when it works, and feels bad when you never draw the 2nd, so I put in some Parrys for cheap removal, expecting Sith Vader decks and Apprentice Vader/Kylo decks to show up. Also switched my battlefield from Starship Graveyard to Frozen Wastes; I'm almost always claiming first with this deck, so further removal feels right, and while recurring Vibroknives forever is awesome in theory, I rarely end up in a position of doing it more than once per game, if at all.

Here's hoping! :jerry:

Hauki
May 11, 2010

ended up snagging 2nd, went 4-1 in swiss again, top 8 were best of 3, so I jammed like 14 games or whatever the gently caress
kind of a long day

ran the same vader/guard list, r1 was vs. ePalp, he tried to argue that he still got palp damage triggers off my guardian. Was still kinda close, he got off a rise again into force lightning (?) first action while I had abandon all hope in hand.
r2 was the mirror, he had teched in block and some other stuff, but I rolled better and got off a pretty sweet force strike, all over from there.
r3 was also the mirror, I spent a lot of time removing his dice and slowly working in damage on vader. Key force strike dropping vader before he could resolve his pool swung the tides significantly again.
r4 was vs. funkar & eventual winner, he rolled like every 1/6 he needed and I didn't. I probably need to find a different approach to this matchup. He didn't have anything on FN yet, I had exactly enough in hand to drop Unkar turn 2 but he kept hitting disrupts etc. and Unkar stuck around just long enough to get the resource train rolling in.
r5 was vs. triple death trooper and somehow I did fifty loving damage before he dropped either of my characters, he got off both endless ranks with quick claims while I had abandon all hope in hand again.

into the cut, I played a bunch of games vs. ePalp, fn/bala/sister & Funkar. Won 2-1 in some pretty close matches before ending up against the same Funkar as before where I lost 1-2. I kept taking my secluded beach and I'm wondering if I should've just taken the shields instead. Both losses were really close, one I dropped FN round 2, but he managed to overwrite his various weapons with redeploys right before I resolved damage and then Unkar kept rolling in huge damage. Second game, I got Kylo's lightsaber in turn 2 followed by a force speed which isn't usually my M.O. early on, but I swung for a bunch and kept the pressure on. Both of my chars were still virtually at full health when I dropped him. Third, neither of us got much on the board for quite a while, mostly playing mitigation, I dropped Unkar & trooper after he best defense'd twice and was struggling for resources, but he kept bouncing my upgrade dice with imperial inspection, I couldn't get anything to really stick and kept losing resources to double salvage stand. He got to a point where he could stack up & start cycling weapons on FN and rolled pretty much perfectly every time, dropping Vader in another round or two while I had appropriate removal in hand, then guard vs. stacked FN was basically game over.

Got everything I really wanted prize-wise in any case, plaques or trophies don't do me much good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Merauder posted:

Here's hoping! :jerry:

Luke/Rey Trip report: Complete failure. Have accepted that the deck, while having the potential to deal explosive unmitigated damage, is far too dependent on good dice rolls, without which you simply flounder. If you aren't getting at least one (or ideally more) full turns with Luke still alive vs having already removed one of your opponent's characters, you're probably losing. Once Luke falls, you'd better hope Rey is STACKED with stuff other than just cute Force Speeds because single-die Rey just isn't great. Even then, it's going to be tough.

Game 1 - eJango/e2199
Was a newish player who I know well. She doesn't play often, but has pretty much just stuck with the one deck when she does play, so it was clear she's improved since I last played with her. I had a great start, opening with Swiftness>Force Speed, then a Vibroknife on turn 2, then another Swiftness>Force Speed on turn 3. All that Speed is useless though when you never hit the 50% chance Specials on the dice to combo off a bunch of action cheating. In my first couple turns she hit me with both of her He Doesn't Like Yous, removing 3-damage Luke dice and leaving me with nothing to do because of having just modified sides on Rey/Vibroknife. I did take down 2199 just barely before she killed Luke, but he died the next turn before I could get his dice activated due to Jango + Fast Hands. The end of the match came down to time (she's still a bit of a slower player), and with PERFECT rolls on my Rey and upgrades I could have taken her Jango to 1 remaining health, so she won on total damage dealt.
Loss.

Game 2 - Phasma/FOST/Guavian
This is the first time I'd played against one of these. I thought for sure that the Guardian business wouldn't be an issue, because if I'm putting enough damage out with Luke and Knives then sure, I'm slow-burning through the generic dudes, but they'll fall quickly and Phasma alone isn't particularly scary, so whatever, right? Still have to get that damage through. Turn 1 saw Force Speed>Vibroknife in my opening hand, again seeing no Special on the Speed. My turn 1 roll-out consisted of Blank Luke/Shield Luke/Shield Speed/Resource Rey/Discard Vibro. Cool. I got hit once again by two He Doesn't Like Yous whenever I got big damage out, and then the Guardian business kept him with a lot of dice to roll long enough to remove Luke. Continued its downward spiral from there. At this point I think I had resolved Force Speed Special once or twice across both games played, and never to any good effect (namely getting damage through before removal).
Loss.

Game 3 - eVader/eKylo
Had teched in extra removal (Parry) for this match up, won the opening roll and selected my Frozen Wastes for added Vader Special removal, AND opened once again with Speed>Knife, so was feeling pretty good. Fast forward to, once again, no damage rolled consistently, no Force Speed Specials, and a 6 damage No Mercy finishing Luke on turn 3, and you can guess where this is going. I almost had a huge My Ally Is the Force play which would have killed Vader on that turn 3 before Luke fell, but the 3 damage die got controlled, so that was out. Instead, planning ahead a bit, I was able to use the Luke's Lightsaber I played on Luke turn 2 (due to some extra resources I ended up with thanks to the lack of damage rolls), which still did a bit of work against Vader but was promptly replaced with a One With the Force, knowing he was going down very soon. That paid off, so with Rey + OWTF I thought I might still be in this, and finally finished Vader quick enough (albeit late). Still wasn't enough, and I was done.
Loss

Game 4 - Kylo/FOST/FOST
This was a new player, who had played a total of 1 game before the tournament, and was playing with the Kylo starter + 7 packs of random stuff he jammed in, like the second Stormtrooper. Nothing really to say here, but that I finally got a win.
Win.

1-3. Boo. Time to finally put some effort into building and playing something different. ...after I get back from Gen Con.

e: The event was won by an Unkar/FN/??? deck. I obviously never played any of the top tables so I'm not sure what the third character was. Second place was a Jango/2199 deck. There was zero Poe/Maz present (though it was only 10 players, 8 of which were all regulars at our weekly events, so I just think local meta-think shaped that a bit).

Merauder fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Aug 13, 2017