Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'd start with Penumbra Overture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Bendy, Miasmata, Oxenfree, Penumbra (at least the first).

Miasmata has dread and Bendy has novelty.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jul 27, 2017

al-azad
May 28, 2009

If it were quality first I'd say Oxenfree but if it's scares idk there's little scary about Bendy and Miasmata is neat but also not scary in a traditional way.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

anime tupac posted:

I keep buying cheap horror games (or downloading free horror games) and then never playing them, but I may rectify that tonight. Does anyone recommend any of these in particular? Right now I'm prioritizing scary/creepy over good.

Bendy and the Ink Machine
Deadlight
DreadOut
Miasmata
Oxenfree
Penumbra: Overture
Penumbra: Black Plague
Penumbra: Requiem
Quadrant
Rake
Sylvio

I would hit up Penumbra: Overture and Penumbra: Black Plague first, they're the precursors to Amnesia, awesome games. Requiem is a bit of a poo poo puzzle game and I don't think really added anything.

Sylvio after that is an excellent variation on horror games, while a bit buggy and rough around the edges, it's definitely interesting. There's a remake of that one coming afaik.

Oxenfree I've heard good things, but I haven't gotten around to playing it myself.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
DreadOut has some really cool ghost designs and a couple of very rad scenes but it's supposedly extremely clunky to actually play and the details of what the heck is actually happening are pretty drat opaque

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Oxenfree isn't that scary but it's very good and has our good friend Ren in it

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

My experience of DreadOut was getting stunlocked by ghosts until I died and then on reloading I was still stuck in ghost stunlock so I uninstalled it.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
That sounds about right. I guess you didn't get to see the skyscraper sized ghost lady or the chat with your friend scene then? It's full of really neat Indonesian horror stuff, it's such a shame that the game itself is pretty busted :(

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Tired Moritz posted:

Oxenfree isn't that scary but it's very good and has our good friend Ren in it

I know nine-gear-crow also did voice acting for it.

Oxenfree reminds me a bit of Life Is Strange, but with more horror emphasis and an isolated environment instead of a regular town.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

I go hard for Sylvio. That's one of the best horror games in the past 5 years IMHO, you just gotta deal with a little bit of Classic PC Game Jank.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

Thread favorite John Wolfe did some videos of Quadrant. I think it goes a bit too far off the rails at the end but it's a pretty neat game and a very commendable effort for an amateur developer.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

anime tupac posted:

I keep buying cheap horror games (or downloading free horror games) and then never playing them, but I may rectify that tonight. Does anyone recommend any of these in particular? Right now I'm prioritizing scary/creepy over good.

Deadlight
DreadOut
Miasmata
Oxenfree
Quadrant
Rake
Sylvio

Penumbra Overture is pretty good - it's sequel, Black Plague, is very good. Requiem is actually a first-person puzzle game and has almost no horror whatsoever.

Miasmata is cool, though doesn't have much horror to it except when a creature happens to find you. Most of the game is just finding your way around an island using map triangulation.

Deadlight is not very good nor scary.

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!

anime tupac posted:

Deadlight
DreadOut
Miasmata
Oxenfree
Quadrant
Rake
Sylvio

Sylvio is extremely janky, but the gimmicks are cool and creepy, and the story is surprisingly fresh.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

anime tupac posted:

Deadlight
DreadOut
Miasmata
Oxenfree
Quadrant
Rake
Sylvio

Oxenfree is great just for the atmosphere. There's nothing outright horrifying in it but the story moves along at a good pace and there's no outright annoying puzzles. Also if you collect all the cards for it the backgrounds you can get are very cool.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Untrustable posted:

Oxenfree is great just for the atmosphere. There's nothing outright horrifying in it but the story moves along at a good pace and there's no outright annoying puzzles. Also if you collect all the cards for it the backgrounds you can get are very cool.

I dunno, some of the "glitches" you get where time loops and people are saying weird poo poo you could call existential horror.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Anyone played White Day? It came out in 2001 in Korea but has fan translation.

I was just wondering since the PS4/PC version of a remake is coming out next month.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-sQvVJqKzg

Horror at a school is a pretty common setting in Asian horror movies but never seen it done in the west. Kinda interested in it just cause of premise.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Watched John Wolfe play it, and while the original version of the game was pretty janky, I was interested enough to look into playing it. Then I heard that a remake was being done and now I'm just waiting for that.

If you like school based horror, there's a neat little side-scrolling Taiwanese one called Detention you should check out.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

White Day did a lot of stuff that wouldn't be popularized until Penumbra and later Amnesia. There's some good scares and great looking monsters, also one of the coolest effects I've seen in a horror game that I don't think is ever copied a ghost that appears in your periphery and disappears when you center your view on it. I don't know how the remake holds up, and I think it was originally an Android game, but I'm going to buy it.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
I haven't played Bendy but drat that one song is an ear worm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_KqAFnHQ9I

Song starts at :30

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

FirstAidKite posted:

Trilby's Notes is a really good game, definitely the best in the series, if only because it did a really good job with making me feel more and more comfortable with the silent hill hellscape while at the same time making me way way way less comfortable with the real world. At the start, I was taking the pills every screen except when I needed to use the alternate world to progress, but by the end, the hallucinations scared me more than the alt world did and I avoided taking the pills as often as I could.

5 Days A Stranger is interesting, though I'd say it is at most inoffensive. 7 Days A Skeptic has some real good atmosphere but it also has some plotholes and that ending is just dreadful. 6 Days A Sacrifice gets a lot of points for managing to take 7 Days A Skeptic and make it interesting retroactively, though that random out-of-nowhere sex scene was just like "wtf" and so I've gotta dock it for that because seriously, what the hell lol

If you want you can check out the videos Crowshaw made in his ego review series

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Nice to hear good stuff about it. I am hyped. I will check out Detention ty.

al-azad posted:

White Day did a lot of stuff that wouldn't be popularized until Penumbra and later Amnesia. There's some good scares and great looking monsters, also one of the coolest effects I've seen in a horror game that I don't think is ever copied a ghost that appears in your periphery and disappears when you center your view on it. I don't know how the remake holds up, and I think it was originally an Android game, but I'm going to buy it.

Ya I know you can't attack the enemy which was crazy at the time. Amnesia/Penumbra kinda popularized that type of gameplay in horror in recent years but White Day were the first or one of the first to do it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Knorth posted:

That sounds about right. I guess you didn't get to see the skyscraper sized ghost lady or the chat with your friend scene then? It's full of really neat Indonesian horror stuff, it's such a shame that the game itself is pretty busted :(

the 'chat with the friend' scene in dreadout was remarkably unsettling and well done compared to the rest of the game, which was surprising. the overall setting is also pretty cool, which is also why i recommend the sequel of sorts since it focuses more on the neat indonesian folklore and has 'zones' the player accesses from a hub and they'll have a variety of weird little puzzles and fights here and there.

also john wolfe played it if anyone just wants to watch that. and the first dreadout. they're worth checking out in video form at the very least for the relatively unique setting.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
i watched cju play dreadout: keepers of the dark and enjoyed it. i might track down john's play of the original

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Miasmata is sometimes more peaceful than you'd expect it to have any right to be, which makes that heartbeat sound all the more jarring.

I think I prefer the DLC to DreadOut to the main game because of the fatal frame feel to it, but the different folklore and ghosts are interesting enough.

Sylvio is like playing through an unsettling dream, it's great. Try the demo for the second game if you decide you like the first, I found some really creepy things in the video footage.

I also have the Penumbra series untouched on my Steam, which I should probably play. Eventually.

Talking about TJOC, after watching johnwolfe's playthrough of it I think a lot of the FNAF fangames lack the humour of the original in a way that's detrimental to them. They're possessed pizzaria animatronics, taking that premise seriously like they're terminators just makes it fall flat.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

hanales posted:

the typos are killin me.

brand name canned soup
Aug 20, 2009

So no one told you life was gonna be this way
(clap clap clap clap)
Your job's a joke, you're broke, your love life's D.O.A.
(clap clap clap clap)
so i guess the Hello Neighbor beta is out, game out in a month. I remember watching some alpha footage a while back, consensus seemed optimistic, that was an interesting premise with very obtuse and buggy design that would surely get ironed out since it was only alpha. Surely.

john wolfes video is interesting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKgAxd4DRxc

$30

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
It's kind of amazing how drastically worse that game has gotten since the early alphas, which actually showed some promise.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

hanales posted:

I looked it up and whoo boy is that game a classic example of "great concept, botched execution."

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it doesn't help that they're releasing the game in multiple 30 minute chunks, basically, each one costing money beyond the first which is free.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

brand name canned soup posted:

so i guess the Hello Neighbor beta is out, game out in a month. I remember watching some alpha footage a while back, consensus seemed optimistic, that was an interesting premise with very obtuse and buggy design that would surely get ironed out since it was only alpha. Surely.

john wolfes video is interesting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKgAxd4DRxc

$30

Pretty much exact same thoughts he had, it's almost incredible just how good of a game they've squandered. The very original alpha demo things were really neat, the AI actually trying to figure your rear end out and you needing to play around it was fun, but then after they realized they had a clickbait hit on their hands, it pretty much devolved into "How much bullshit can we literally staple on" as evidenced by just the house itself getting worse and worse every time, not to mention the AI and the trying way too hard now "deep lore" as even he said, which is purely youtube bait by this point.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i've only seen some of the game from streams. they should have just removed the neighbor as an enemy completely, he seems pointless. they should just have made a puzzle game with the same location, added some humorous satirical elements on the state of american sububria told through text/audio/cutscenes and charged less

it's not really a horror game now either

Relin fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jul 31, 2017

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the only real mystery in hello neighbor is how the game managed to disappear up its own rear end

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Relin posted:

i've only seen some of the game from streams. they should have just removed the neighbor as an enemy completely, he seems pointless.

Wayyyyy back at the start when the house wasn't seven stories tall he was the only threat, but he was a good one and neat to try and get around, because the ways you came into the house would start getting more trapped, barricaded and he'd be more likely to hang around there, so you could try and misdirect them after a while too.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Would someone mind summing up what has changed in Hello Neighbor? I was really looking forward to it and it's hard for me to watch talking head streamers.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Oxxidation posted:

I looked it up and whoo boy is that game a classic example of "great concept, botched execution."

Johnny Joestar posted:

it doesn't help that they're releasing the game in multiple 30 minute chunks, basically, each one costing money beyond the first which is free.

lol why does this poo poo have such good reviews.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

the black husserl posted:

Would someone mind summing up what has changed in Hello Neighbor?

This was the house originally.

This is the house now.

The AI has suffered a ridiculous amount, there's no real character to the game anymore, the devs have gone whole hog on trying to inject some vague story that's poorly done for clickbaity youtubers, so on and so on.

This also sums it up well.

"The game has gotten worse, every single installment."

"This is not the stealth-horror, learning AI game we were promised in the beginning."

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jul 31, 2017

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What's this about it trying to cater to youtubers with lore and poo poo? I only ever watched John's playthrough of it so I never picked up on any of that stuff.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

What's this about it trying to cater to youtubers with lore and poo poo? I only ever watched John's playthrough of it so I never picked up on any of that stuff.

They've added in and taken out and added in a bunch of ending-not-endings in all the alpha builds, made super convoluted and uninteresting "secret ending" type setups to the stuff, all that kind of thing which pretty much just started to feel like pandering to the people who want to make "NEW HELLO NEIGHBOR BUILD 5931 ENDING? (SAD) ((SECRET HISTORY BEHIND THE NEIGHBOR?!))" type videos. Which you did indeed see a whole assload of every time there was a new build, there's probably a bunch for the beta now too. Basically it felt like they wanted the game theory crowd to catch on like they did for Five Nights at Freddys.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Lol you've got to be loving kidding me with that house. Roller coaster, and a slide and what looks like a shipping container on wires?

HOA would shut this down. Game over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Yardbomb posted:

This was the house originally.

This is the house now.

The AI has suffered a ridiculous amount, there's no real character to the game anymore, the devs have gone whole hog on trying to inject some vague story that's poorly done for clickbaity youtubers, so on and so on.

This also sums it up well.

"The game has gotten worse, every single installment."

"This is not the stealth-horror, learning AI game we were promised in the beginning."

lol i stopped paying attention to the game after watching a few buggy wolfe/kravin runs, how did they completely alter the original game vision to this poor man's despicable me mess