Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I'll believe it if someone other than the Mail reports it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Regalingualius posted:

I'll believe it if someone other than the Mail reports it.

https://broadly.vice.com/en_us/article/3dxga9/an-exclusive-tour-of-roosh-vs-moms-basement

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://i.imgur.com/PF1Gb5o.gifv

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

MisterBibs posted:

This just makes me wonder how it works when that trick is successful. Like, how do you push off without it flying backwards, as physics demands?

Physics doesn't demand that. As long as you don't push back physics actually says that you'll move forward at the same rate that the skateboard does so you'll perfectly fall back down on it.

Reminds me of the time the radio guys were watching some skateboard wipeout video and going "I don't understand why it doesn't always go that way! Doesn't the person have more momentum?" paying attention in physics class isn't just for nerds :(

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

Physics doesn't demand that. As long as you don't push back physics actually says that you'll move forward at the same rate that the skateboard does so you'll perfectly fall back down on it.

Reminds me of the time the radio guys were watching some skateboard wipeout video and going "I don't understand why it doesn't always go that way! Doesn't the person have more momentum?" paying attention in physics class isn't just for nerds :(

Goons.

I can't ollie okay I admit it. I shouldn't disparage a woman doing possibly a comedy youtube or possibly losing whatever remaining teeth she has left.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Olley

That's the uh maneuver as I understand it.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87tBcOKTH2c&t=25s

20 minutes of "psychics" not knowing what they are doing. :nws: some swearing.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Because of conservation of momentum the skateboard does actually slow down once separated from the rider, who has significantly more mass than it. I'm not sure if it's noticable in normal circumstances, but presumably you'll miss the board anyway if you jump high enough.

Edit: no wait the board speeds up. The now airborne rider is what slows down. I'm a biologist it's been a long time since I last had to do physics 101 thought experiments :sweatdrop:

Mak0rz has a new favorite as of 22:14 on Jul 30, 2017

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Mak0rz posted:

Because of conservation of momentum the skateboard does actually slow down once separated from the rider, who has significantly more mass than it. I'm not sure if it's noticable in normal circumstances, but presumably you'll miss the board anyway if you jump high enough.

Edit: no wait the board speeds up. The now airborne rider is what slows down. I'm a biologist it's been a long time since I last had to do physics 101 thought experiments :sweatdrop:

So after my feet leave the board, what force is acting on the board that's causing it to accelerate?

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Gravity

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mak0rz posted:

No it doesn't. Everything moves at constant speed because the momentum effects your speed based on your mass, and the momentum is a factor of mass. Its all balanced out.

The skateboard would slow down over time because of sliding friction, but you're going to fall back on the board before it makes a huge difference.

evobatman posted:

So after my feet leave the board, what force is acting on the board that's causing it to accelerate?

The board doesn't accelerate, nor do you. Both of you have constant velocity, with only sliding friction / drag to slow you down.

Oh my god.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

MOmentum stays the same but there's less weight pushing it down so there's less gravity so it speeds up

a cow
May 6, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

evobatman posted:

Gravity and the (sloping) ground.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

a cow posted:

You can do an ollie or other skateboard jump tricks even on level ground, as long as you've pedaled the board up to a decent speed already. You don't need gravity at all.

The x motion and y motion are completely independent.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
On level ground they may be.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
(eight pages of bad physics discussion)

"Good enough for me, hold my beer!"

https://twitter.com/HoldThisBeer/status/891535627316994048

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Memento posted:

(eight pages of bad physics discussion)

"Good enough for me, hold my beer!"

https://twitter.com/HoldThisBeer/status/891535627316994048

Jesus that's a hell of a way to gently caress up your back :lol:

Dissociative Donut
Oct 9, 2009

by Pragmatica
*Should have refreshed

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

evobatman posted:

e: (gonna edit this, because I'm pretty sure I'm wrong, just a sec)

Okay, I said:

quote:

As I understand it, it's not a forward force acting on the board, it's a "backward" force ceasing to act on the board: friction. Your mass on the board causes additional friction between the trucks and the wheels and between the wheels and the ground.

p = mv - F

The momentum (p) of the board stays the same, the mass (m) of the board stays the same, the friction acting against the board's motion (F) decreases, so the velocity (v) has to increase.

However, again, because rolling friction is far smaller than sliding friction, and because the difference in friction between (skateboard) and (you + skateboard) is very nearly zero, the effect is minuscule. (And this is assuming you and the skateboard can be treated as separate but interacting systems here, and I'm not sure you can.)

That last bit is where I'm pretty sure I got it wrong. You separate the rider from the board when the rider jumps, which means you have to frame the whole system like this:

p = (mskateboard + mrider)v - (Fskateboard + Frider)

When you remove the rider (because the rider's jumped over an obstacle and let the board go under) you remove the rider's contribution to the mass and the rider's contribution to the friction:

p = (mskateboard)v - (Fskateboard)

Since the ratio of the skateboard's mass to the skateboard's contribution to the friction remains the same, velocity remains the same.

SneezeOfTheDecade has a new favorite as of 22:55 on Jul 30, 2017

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
what if you're trying to ollie on a treadmill?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Dillbag posted:

what if you're trying to ollie on a treadmill?

The skateboard takes off anyway.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Zaphod42 posted:

No it doesn't. Everything moves at constant speed because the momentum effects your speed based on your mass, and the momentum is a factor of mass. Its all balanced out.

The skateboard would slow down over time because of sliding friction, but you're going to fall back on the board before it makes a huge difference.

The board doesn't accelerate, nor do you. Both of you have constant velocity, with only sliding friction / drag to slow you down.

Oh my god.

Yeeeah I'll admit hosed that one up lmao.

I was thinking "conservation of momentum means that the board has to maintain the same momentum as the whole human-board system once separated from the human" but that's absolutely ridiculous now that I think about it because a: why on earth would the board alone need to conserve the whole system's momentum and b: an 8lb skateboard would have to go pretty loving fast to match the momentum of a 200lb human.

So yeah clearly I'm misremembering that thought experiment. Whoops!

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

a cow posted:

I felt bad for my joke

now I just feel bad for you :byodame:

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

For the same reason loss prevention at big box stores aren't (in most places) actually allowed to stop thieves; if you do anything that could get the company in legal hot water for any reason, self defense or no, that's a firin'. 'Murica!

Not really.

You have to be able to move people out of clubs when they don't want to leave without hurting anyone or drawing attention to it. Physically throwing violent customers out the door is occasionally part of the job. Getting to know the cops who usually respond to things like bar fights is also part of the job.

So if you're a lovely, aggressive bouncer and you develop a reputation and push some drunk regulars into a fight because you haven't really gotten along in a while, and you think everyone's going to side with you, you might end up being wrong. You might get fired, charges might be pressed (even if you really were just defending yourself he wasn't) and bad things might happen.

If you're a dependable bouncer who knows how to de-escalate drunk people and you do better than half rear end the customer service side with regulars and such (everyone who does it more than 6 months, generally) everyone will line up behind you if a fight starts and you get involved somehow. Something like this with a gun to your chest on video and the instant reaction? Everyone sings the "legal self defense" song and some dude you flopped on the pavement in front of the "This is my third bar tonight" crowd goes to jail to think about what an idiot he is.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

I assume they're wearing steel toed boots since the guy is laughing rather than holding his broken toe(s).

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I'm happy to be wrong :shobon: it should say something about the state of employment in the US that my first instinct is to go "Dude probably got fired" rather than "Dude got congratulated for doing his job".

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Besesoth posted:

That last bit is where I'm pretty sure I got it wrong. You separate the rider from the board when the rider jumps, which means you have to frame the whole system like this:

p = (mskateboard + mrider)v - (Fskateboard + Frider)

When you remove the rider (because the rider's jumped over an obstacle and let the board go under) you remove the rider's contribution to the mass and the rider's contribution to the friction:

p = (mskateboard)v - (Fskateboard)

Since the ratio of the skateboard's mass to the skateboard's contribution to the friction remains the same, velocity remains the same.

That's what I said :)

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I'm happy to be wrong :shobon: it should say something about the state of employment in the US that my first instinct is to go "Dude probably got fired" rather than "Dude got congratulated for doing his job".

Go learn some BJJ or wrestling or something and get the gently caress out of lot guarding. Bouncing is where it's at for security (source: I worked in security for 4+ years paying my way through community college).

Some schaden to contribute: the absolute worst people on earth to deal with are white women. Bikers, gangsters, frat boys, etc all pale in comparison to how bad a lovely drunk white chick will ruin your night.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

In non physics schadenfreude it's going to be the hottest it's ever been in western washington this week

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Not sure how to embed tumblr videos...

http://gif87a-com.tumblr.com/post/163286699806

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Zaphod42 posted:

You can do an ollie or other skateboard jump tricks even on level ground, as long as you've pedaled the board up to a decent speed already. You don't need gravity at all.

The x motion and y motion are completely independent.

You can't pedal a skateboard but you can push yourself.

I don't know why you people are trying to make hippy jumps more complicated than they are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDAEq1tgloU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

AlmightyBob posted:

In non physics schadenfreude it's going to be the hottest it's ever been in western washington this week

46° north and it's going to be 109. That's insane.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/nathanTbernard/status/891722704381988865

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
What the hell is #GorillaMindset?

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

What the hell is #GorillaMindset?

Let me explain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcXC9o9mRdg

Now no kidding: Gorilla Mindset is a book by the guy above, full of MRA stuff. I'll let this review do the talking (also pretty good schadenfreude in itself):

nerdz has a new favorite as of 02:20 on Jul 31, 2017

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
[quote="“Memento”" post="“474881947”"]
46° north and it’s going to be 109. That’s insane.
[/quote]

But it’s a wet heat.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Krispy Kareem posted:

But it’s a wet heat.

The forecast for Thursday calls for 109° and 27% humidity. Comparably, it's going to be 106° and 32% humidity in Phoeniz, AZ on Tuesday.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

nerdz posted:

Let me explain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcXC9o9mRdg

Now no kidding: Gorilla Mindset is a book by the guy above, full of MRA stuff. I'll let this review do the talking (also pretty good schadenfreude in itself):

Ooooh that's the good stuff.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

mobby_6kl posted:

If you enjoyed that video you should definitely check out the one I posted a few pages ago as well, just make sure to slow it down to 0.25x: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gnRJz1zHoE
Jesus some people need to watch Cautionary Tales of Swords.

Also aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Memento posted:

The forecast for Thursday calls for 109° and 27% humidity. Comparably, it's going to be 106° and 32% humidity in Phoeniz, AZ on Tuesday.

Central Florida here, tomorrow's high will be 83F with 82% humidity, and Tuesday is roughly the same.