Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

the trump tutelage posted:

"And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full." Matthew 6:5

shits old yo, anyone who says it doesn't exist is a hack

"Verily, I say unto thee: Bernie would have won."
Luke 4:20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

FuzzySkinner posted:

I'd rather not join "The Resistance".

It feels like their goals are not in "alliance" with my own. They seem more so interested in bringing back the West Wing fantasy than advocating for left wing reforms of the government.

On the flip side? I don't exactly agree with everything that the DSA is for but I feel like I'm much more likely to be in their camp.

same. i am not a fan of either. i agree more with the DSA/chapo types but i doubt their stuff would work here(america has always been uber individualistic) they have the right ideas, but i dont think they would work with anyone(not that i really blame them) the DNC is doing ok right now to an extent and have been letting the GOP hang themselves over and over again and they are slowly moving right but the idpol stuff sucks still. idk who knows. i feel like if the DSA is made up of matt christmens i dont want to be part of it.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

an actual dog posted:

ICE detention centers aren't new, people are already getting sick and dying due to overcrowding and lack of medical care. The only thing mockable in the tweet is that he's acting like we aren't already there.

Counterpoint: the truth of our immigration policy is bad enough without going Full Godwin which is obviously what Keithy is going for here

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
don't wanna join the Resistance

wanna join the Maquis

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

same. i am not a fan of either. i agree more with the DSA/chapo types but i doubt their stuff would work here(america has always been uber individualistic) they have the right ideas, but i dont think they would work with anyone(not that i really blame them) the DNC is doing ok right now to an extent and have been letting the GOP hang themselves over and over again and they are slowly moving right but the idpol stuff sucks still. idk who knows. i feel like if the DSA is made up of matt christmens i dont want to be part of it.

You kinda gotta find a way to balance individual rights with collectivism. I've seen tweets from people like RL Stephens advocating for the elimination of police/prisons. While I find that a noble belief and one at least I can respect? It's not a practical one to me. Those are things that (sadly) must exist in society. Some people need to be kept away from the general population.

But, I do think that the prison industrial complex, and the policing in our country needs reformed from the ground up.

I kinda view it as this. The Bill of Rights was a cool and good thing. Let's expand on that, add new levels of civil liberties for citizens, workers and enforce those.

e: I'd rather be on the side of RL than I would be on someone who just does #blacklivesmatter on twitter (than does nothing), a right winger who wants to bring us into a police state or a liberal who condemns the actions, but doesn't lift a finger.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Counterpoint: the truth of our immigration policy is bad enough without going Full Godwin which is obviously what Keithy is going for here

Oh it's bad.

Trump really sucks at being Hitler tho.

(can edit that to be "Trump really sucks", but the point stands)

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

really queer Christmas posted:

amen

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

MaxxBot posted:

I'm not a fan of the term but I think it's an apt description for people like Arthur Chu who never actually do good things but spend all day sitting on twitter making for drat sure you know that they have Correct Opinions.

It's like the online entry level liberal equivalent to the people in the comments on stories about crimes who post angry messages about how the perp should be LOCKED AWAY FOR LIFE/EXECUTED/TORTURED. They don't care about morality, they just want to loudly assert that they're a tough guy, the *correct opinion* analog of the right.

Idiots on the internet all do the same poo poo.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Well I also hate the phrase virtue signalling because it so often implies people only do good things to look good.

Yes. That is the phenomenon the phrase describes.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

attackmole posted:

It's like the online entry level liberal equivalent to the people in the comments on stories about crimes who post angry messages about how the perp should be LOCKED AWAY FOR LIFE/EXECUTED/TORTURED. They don't care about morality, they just want to loudly assert that they're a tough guy, the *correct opinion* analog of the right.

Idiots on the internet all do the same poo poo.

https://twitter.com/rcampbellsproul/status/890362004199702528

You don't say....

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

god for all his faults i wish we had a FDR in the party. i honestly think if we brough the CCC back and other new deal ideas but expanded them/made them for all. we would be on the right track.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

*goes on to argue in favor of putting people in camps*

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/ericgarland/status/890714237684854785

Remember back in the day when people who dissented against the Iraq war were tarred and feathered as hating the country?

Yeah, that's back.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Is that guy seriously suggesting exiling Bernie because MUH RUSSIA?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/marieclaire/status/890981117037248512

quote:

"That movie was loving bomb."

That was one reaction I overheard after watching Dunkirk, Christopher Nolan's new directorial gift to men, who are currently spending their time fervently ranking his movies, arguing about said rankings, and—presumably—wearing fedoras completely un-ironically. Or even worse, ironically.

The thing is, I just don't think Dunkirk is a very good movie—if your definition of the word movie is "moving images held together by a plot." Like, yes: Dunkirk is very well-made. I felt like I was going to vomit during it, because that's how intense it was. And if your interests include riding a visual roller coaster called war, you will love it. But if you're a fan of films with plots, Dunkirk doesn't play that game. It's as if Christopher Nolan (sorry, "Nolan") plucked out the war scene from a script, and was like "let's just make this part extra long and call it a movie, lol."

The film, in case you aren't already aware due to the endless critical musings devoted to it, is about the real life battle of Dunkirk—where British and Allied troops were rescued by civilian boats and evacuated. It's a story worthy of being told and re-told, and I really enjoy war movies in general, but still—actual stuff needs to happen. Stuff other than scenes of men burning in oil-covered water, ships sinking, and bodies drowning. If you want to argue that the non-stop violent intensity of the film was the point, and that we should feel fully immersed in the war like we're living it ourselves—I present Harry Styles.

The One Direction band member did a surprisingly impressive job in what turned out to be a pretty major role, but I refuse to believe it's possible for any viewer with even a semblance of pop-culture knowledge not see him and immediately go "OMG, it's Harry Styles." Much like Ed Sheeran's cameo in Game of Thrones, having a pop star casually show up in a film will inevitably remove the audience from the narrative and ground them back in reality. Harry Styles is a constant reminder to the viewer that the movie isn't real, while the entire excuse for the film's intense and admittedly-impressive cinematography is to convince the viewer that they're right there in it. You can't have your Harry Styles cake and eat it too.

But my main issue with Dunkirk is that it's so clearly designed for men to man-out over. And look, it's not like I need every movie to have "strong female leads." Wonder Woman can probably tide me over for at least a year, and I understand that this war was dominated by brave male soldiers. I get that. But the packaging of the film, the general vibe, and the tenor of the people applauding it just screams "men-only"—and specifically seems to cater to a certain type of very pretentious man who would love nothing more than to explain to me why I'm wrong about not liking it. If this movie were a dating profile pic, it would be a swole guy at the gym who also goes to Harvard. If it was a drink it would be Stumptown coffee. If it was one of your friends, it would be the one who starts his sentences with "I get what you're saying, but..."

I guess congratulations are in order for Nolan managing to unite high-brow male critics and very annoying people on Twitter under a common bromance, but to me, Dunkirk felt like an excuse for men to celebrate maleness—which apparently they don't get to do enough. Fine, great, go forth, but if Nolan's entire purpose is breaking the established war movie mold and doing something different—why not make a movie about women in World War II? Or—because I know that will illicit cries of "ugh, not everything has to be about feminism, ugh!"—how about any other marginalized group? These stories shouldn't be relegated to indie films and Oscar season. It's up to giant powerhouse directors like Nolan to tell them, which is why Dunkirk feels so basic. It's a summer war movie. It'll make you fear for the future and pray that we never fight again. You might get kind of sick. If you're like me, a random man will come up to you after and explain why you're wrong for disliking it. But this war movie isn't special. At the end of the day, it's like all the rest of them.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

This is why Trump won.

Imagine trying to say this in the middle of the country. You'd get chased out of town.

HIJK posted:

Is that guy seriously suggesting exiling Bernie because MUH RUSSIA?

Yeah.

The pundit class has really lose it's mind in this country lately.

Believe or not believe the Russia story, but goddamn to say that is...insane. That's McCarthyist.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

FuzzySkinner posted:

This is why Trump won.

Imagine trying to say this in the middle of the country. You'd get chased out of town.

Not to mention, Jesus, it's perfectly fine for men to celebrate maleness. Dunkirk was about all sorts of men, the good and the bad and all the shades in between. I can't imagine being so far up one's own rear end that the idea of men being celebrated for doing something heroic, especially when that something actually loving happened, is ~offensive.~

When men are good, men are awesome. We should always celebrate good men, if for no other reason then it will inspire others to be good instead of letting them founder in a hostile environment. Simply yelling at men all the time hasn't lead to anything productive.

FuzzySkinner posted:

Yeah.

The pundit class has really lose it's mind in this country lately.

Believe or not believe the Russia story, but goddamn to say that is...insane. That's McCarthyist.

It's an ideological purge. Same thing happened under Pinochet and Stalin I do believe. They only want "true believers" and everyone who doesn't tow whatever line they've dreamed up in their twitter hallucinations should be sent to a gulag or thrown out of a helicopter. They're going to run into trouble when there's so few left in the party that they start cannibalizing each other for real. For now they're just picking off stragglers, Bernie lost so I guess he's perceived as weak.

I wonder what the political infighting will look like when they start moving up the chain to middle management.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I think the white males making a forlorn hope stand against a Nazi horde should check their privilege.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
I think this lady really overestimates how many people would recognize a one direction band member.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

FuriousxGeorge posted:

I think this lady really overestimates how many people would recognize a one direction band member.

I want to know how she copes with actors who have had iconic roles. Like say Sarah Michelle Gellar in cruel intentions vs Buffy vs southland tales.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Byolante posted:

I want to know how she copes with actors who have had iconic roles. Like say Sarah Michelle Gellar in cruel intentions vs Buffy vs southland tales.

Typecasting is a thing, Jason Alexander will live and die as George Constanza no matter what.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

HIJK posted:

Not to mention, Jesus, it's perfectly fine for men to celebrate maleness. Dunkirk was about all sorts of men, the good and the bad and all the shades in between. I can't imagine being so far up one's own rear end that the idea of men being celebrated for doing something heroic, especially when that something actually loving happened, is ~offensive.~

When men are good, men are awesome. We should always celebrate good men, if for no other reason then it will inspire others to be good instead of letting them founder in a hostile environment. Simply yelling at men all the time hasn't lead to anything productive.

Yeah pretty much. Her other articles are just bad movie/tv show/Hollywood bullshit. She was looking to make some woke outrage bullshit. The problem is the dnc views this poo poo as good.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

Typecasting is a thing, Jason Alexander will live and die as George Constanza no matter what.

He needs more Duckman typecasting.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

super sweet best pal posted:

He needs more Duckman typecasting.

For me he'll always be the guy in that Nickelback video that makes Latte art.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

really queer Christmas posted:

hail incarnate deity

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

steinrokkan posted:

He should just shave his head fully so he looks a little different, also helps for criminal roles.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/hashtag/NoConfederate?src=tren

So this is trending on twitter.

I guess the leaders of this movement are these two:

https://twitter.com/BreeNewsome

https://twitter.com/ReignOfApril

FuzzySkinner has issued a correction as of 04:46 on Jul 31, 2017

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

The biggest mistake Twitter ever made was listing the number of tweets under the trending topics. It's hard to give a poo poo about stupid things like that when you know it's only 8 thousand tweets by a bunch of mentally ill weirdos.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

lol, the show might be decent. HBO seems to have found good stuff of late with scifi and fantasy. this could work with the right people. also GRRM is also bringing some sci fantasy series from some black lady to hbo too. so idk.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Remember when people didn't bitch incessently about movies and tv

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

HIJK posted:

No because that's not happened since their invention

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Call Me Charlie posted:

The biggest mistake Twitter ever made was listing the number of tweets under the trending topics. It's hard to give a poo poo about stupid things like that when you know it's only 8 thousand tweets by a bunch of mentally ill weirdos.

Check it out

quote:

April Reign practiced law for nearly twenty years, honing her talent for public speaking and persuasive writing, but it wasn’t until she walked away from her legal practice that she found her true passion.

As the Creator of the viral hashtag #OscarsSoWhite, April Reign challenges the lack of representation of marginalized communities in Hollywood and beyond. Reign sustains a movement that has resulted in the most systemic change ever seen in the over 80-year history of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. April Reign owned her opportunity, the results of which are reverberating throughout the entertainment industry.

Reign is an influential and sought-after media presence, having built an organic following of over 100,000 worldwide. Reign is able to capitalize on her strengths and pursue her calling, using her voice to spark dialogue and explore issues of race, politics and culture. April Reign now travels the country speaking at academic institutions and consulting with organizations, networks, and studios regarding issues of diversity and inclusion.

quote:

Book April
FOR YOUR EVENT

April Reign is an influential and sought-after media presence, having built an organic following of over 100,000 worldwide.

Reign travels the country speaking at academic institutions and consulting with organizations, networks, and studios regarding issues of diversity and inclusion.

For media appearances, articles, or to book April for your event, please fill out the following request form.

http://www.reignofapril.com/#contact

I wonder if being "woke" like this is just one giant con to get money out of rich, guilty bourgeious /aristocracy types at this point. Why do I get the feeling she came from a rich family?

FuzzySkinner has issued a correction as of 05:02 on Jul 31, 2017

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

HIJK posted:

its all media except books and the accepted stuff like harry potter.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

whomupclicklike posted:

No because that's not happened since their invention
checks out

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
literally never heard of april reign before that post, but then I don't make a habit of seeking out people who consider it fashionable to wander around with their heads crammed up their rear end

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

HIJK posted:

No because I wasn't born in the 50s grandpa

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Crane Fist posted:

No because I wasn't born in the 50s grandpa

:chord:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

here's what i think about the "no confederacy" campaign: if it offends you, don't loving watch it

FuzzySkinner posted:

https://apnews.com/a29855adf6f248e0a5207ffd1e981855?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP

Hey check it out. Someone who you can use to hit the republicans over the head with. This is a loving joke that this is happening in the richest goddamn country on the face of the earth.

There's tons of horrible poo poo you could use, but the dems are too terrified of doing that because it'll piss off their donors.
an addendum to this story: 2 oklahoma democrats recently ran in state-level special elections and won. i checked both of their campaign websites and the first issue that both candidates listed was education. it's easy to run on that when this is a daily occurrence. also of note: not a single county in Oklahoma went for the Democrat in the 2016 and 2012 presidential elections. candidates in NY and NH also won state-level races in republican districts

somebody mentioned that paul ryan is unpopular in his district and there is somebody who is economically progressive running against him. i think his name is Randy Bryce? he's an ironworker, union member, and cancer survivor regardless. you don't have to be aligned with DSA to win (although i won't complain if you are), but you can't stand for the same old poo poo
good way to write criticism: say "i think Dunkirk is a celebration of males and masculinity" and defend your argument. i probably won't agree with it but at least you're stating it as an opinion

bad way to write criticism: say that Dunkirk is "so clearly designed for men to man-out over" as if this is iron-clad fact, and shame people who don't agree with this objective truth

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HIJK posted:

lol no

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

get that OUT of my face posted:

here's what i think about the "no confederacy" campaign: if it offends you, don't loving watch it

Let's say this. If David Duke was legit behind this project? By all means boycott the poo poo out of it, and tell HBO to go gently caress themselves. I'd be right there with you. Legit Nazi's and Klans men should not being making "BIRTH OF A NATION II".

but if someone wants to "explore" these sort of alternate history paths? I'm not against it. I think it would be interesting if the intent is to show how perhaps there's still some traces of that war effecting our country as a whole today.

I think it depends on intent rather than some indirect act of racism.

quote:

an addendum to this story: 2 oklahoma democrats recently ran in state-level special elections and won. i checked both of their campaign websites and the first issue that both candidates listed was education. it's easy to run on that when this is a daily occurrence. also of note: not a single county in Oklahoma went for the Democrat in the 2016 and 2012 presidential elections. candidates in NY and NH also won state-level races in republican districts

somebody mentioned that paul ryan is unpopular in his district and there is somebody who is economically progressive running against him. i think his name is Randy Bryce? he's an ironworker, union member, and cancer survivor regardless. you don't have to be aligned with DSA to win (although i won't complain if you are), but you can't stand for the same old poo poo.

This is the message the democrats need to take.

It's not about running against Trump. It's about running against Ryan/McConnell who are majorly unpopular. You can convince rural/blue collar types to come out against those asshats because they're very much hated. You're not gonna convince the same group to vote nationally for someone like Hillary though.

Focusing on local, state elections could also help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

FuzzySkinner posted:

Check it out

http://www.reignofapril.com/#contact

I wonder if being "woke" like this is just one giant con to get money out of rich, guilty bourgeious /aristocracy types at this point. Why do I get the feeling she came from a rich family?

Yes? It has been for a while since Patreon has become a way of life for a bunch of people.

• Locked thread