Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

What the poo poo is that. So far I only watched one video which was with the old house and was pretty neat, got a little sketchy when it went on into the non-euclidian basement but the core premise seemed cool. This is some bizarre poo poo, and I'm not even particularly invested in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
If you want to watch the entire degredation, here's John Wolfe's series on the game.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Kokoro Wish posted:

If you want to watch the entire degredation, here's John Wolfe's series on the game.

ah so that's what that guy's up to, forgot his old moniker but I love his videos. This game looks loving crazy so I'm gonna enjoy watching how it devolved

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
That seems like the sort of thing that you'd build up to over the course of the game, with the Neighbor slowly driven insane by your casual home invasion and building more and more Winchester House style. The fact that it's, that, kinda bums me out. Well, I'm sure it'll have great company with We Happy Few. :v:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lol we happy few. man this trailer looks amazing (hey actually it's one of those lovely survival games) oh cool.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Kokoro Wish posted:

He starts off so enthusiastic, then by the beta he's exhausted with it pretty much right off the bat.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Oh man, what happened to We Happy Few? The artstyle and concept was neato. Why does every game have to be a lovely survival game nowadays

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Tired Moritz posted:

Oh man, what happened to We Happy Few? The artstyle and concept was neato. Why does every game have to be a lovely survival game nowadays

it had a great concept and art style and then it turned out to be less linear bioshock-influenced gaming and more procedural roguelike

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

We Happy Few has improved majorly since its underwhelming Alpha 1 and it's one of the most frequently updated/transparent Early Access games out there. Check the steam reviews, the game has made great strides and people are really happy with it.

Hello Neighbor looks like a mess. Too bad, it was a great concept.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

What's this about it trying to cater to youtubers with lore and poo poo? I only ever watched John's playthrough of it so I never picked up on any of that stuff.

Case in point, John has a whole video where he no-clips through the house to see the entirety of the mysterious basement (your apparent goal you can never achieve) which is just a long featureless tunnel with some vague textures in it. I'd say that's the breaking point where it's no longer a game and people are just streaming it to talk about what secrets it can hide. You got to work for that poo poo like the Souls series.

There's a game that's kind of sprung up in its shadows called Goodbye, My King or something which is sort of like Thief condensed into small levels. It's still rough and early but looks like it's going to eat Hello, Neighbors lunch when it crashes and burns.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

the black husserl posted:

We Happy Few has improved majorly since its underwhelming Alpha 1 and it's one of the most frequently updated/transparent Early Access games out there. Check the steam reviews, the game has made great strides and people are really happy with it.

Hello Neighbor looks like a mess. Too bad, it was a great concept.

I got We Happy Few and it's honestly a lot of fun even when incomplete. They've been working toward a proper game with a storyline and quests from the start, so the current version may not have an ending but it's actually got real quests with voice acting and meaning. You can even play with all the survival stuff turned off so it's more of a traditional FPS.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

brand name canned soup posted:

so i guess the Hello Neighbor beta is out, game out in a month. I remember watching some alpha footage a while back, consensus seemed optimistic, that was an interesting premise with very obtuse and buggy design that would surely get ironed out since it was only alpha. Surely.

john wolfes video is interesting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKgAxd4DRxc

$30

Wow this looks super janky. Thanks for saving me $30.

the black husserl posted:

We Happy Few has improved majorly since its underwhelming Alpha 1 and it's one of the most frequently updated/transparent Early Access games out there.

Is it still just a bad survival title with a nice coat of paint? I played it back when it first hit EA and it was so god drat boring. After the well done intro you're thrown into a poorly procgen'd world with a bunch of meter management which is never fun and by-the-numbers quests for random people. It was disappointing.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

s.i.r.e. posted:

Is it still just a bad survival title with a nice coat of paint? I played it back when it first hit EA and it was so god drat boring. After the well done intro you're thrown into a poorly procgen'd world with a bunch of meter management which is never fun and by-the-numbers quests for random people. It was disappointing.

There's actually a sort of legit storyline now with progression through districts, though it's incomplete. You can also play with the survival stuff like hunger and sleep turned off.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
It looks like the (hopefully) better attempt at making a Clock Tower game has gotten a steam page now: http://store.steampowered.com/app/633360/Remothered_Tormented_Fathers/

Man, I really hope this game is a little less janky than Nightcry.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
That name is very bad.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Of all the things that bug me about that game, the fact that he holds that sickle backwards is the thing that bugs me the most. That's the blunt end!

The name's the thing that bugs me the second most.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The name is bizarrely bad but the game itself looks good from what I've seen of people with early builds.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

chitoryu12 posted:

There's actually a sort of legit storyline now with progression through districts, though it's incomplete. You can also play with the survival stuff like hunger and sleep turned off.

Hmmm... might have to try it again once it's done.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I can't believe We Happy Few sucked all of the quirk and talent out of Hello Neighbor like some kind of video game Monstar.

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

discworld is all I read posted:

It looks like the (hopefully) better attempt at making a Clock Tower game has gotten a steam page now: http://store.steampowered.com/app/633360/Remothered_Tormented_Fathers/

Man, I really hope this game is a little less janky than Nightcry.

The old man has glossy buttcheeks

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

John Wolfe just played a demo for a point-and-click called Cursed Roots and it looks great. There are bits where you have to make quick decisions and the art is on the fun side of unsettling. Looking forward to the full release.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Actual gameplay footage for City Shrouded in Shadow AKA civilian in a Kaiju movie simulator. Some good opportunities to be giant rear end in a top hat apparently, but maybe it'll be fun in a goofy horror kind of way?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Crabtree posted:

Actual gameplay footage for City Shrouded in Shadow AKA civilian in a Kaiju movie simulator. Some good opportunities to be giant rear end in a top hat apparently, but maybe it'll be fun in a goofy horror kind of way?

This is from the same people who brought us Disaster Report/Raw Danger/SOS The Final Escape/Zettai Something-or-other series of games. They were never horror titles by any means and generally had plenty of ways to be a doof or a dick but they were also fun in the sense of feeling like an action game where the enemy is the environment constantly making GBS threads itself around you.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I just finished up Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice and it's amazing, I definitely recommend it and if you get it play with headphones.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I was hoping I could ignore hellblade because I already have enough to do but this is becoming less and less realistic.

How well does it run? The system requirements are relatively modest if you look at how well it appears crafted.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

s.i.r.e. posted:

I just finished up Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice and it's amazing, I definitely recommend it and if you get it play with headphones.
I impulse bought it when it came out and am not disappointed so far! About how long is it? I'm a few hours in already but haven't had a chance to devote a lot of time yet.

The mental health disclaimer at the beginning was a red flag and made me wonder if it was a marketing gimmick, but the subject seems handled well, and not just "crazy people be crazy".

It runs surprisingly well on my aging computer (i5 3.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, GeForce 760), I didn't have to turn down many settings for it to still be playable.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Mindblast posted:

I was hoping I could ignore hellblade because I already have enough to do but this is becoming less and less realistic.

How well does it run? The system requirements are relatively modest if you look at how well it appears crafted.

I'm running it maxed out on a laptop with an i7 and GTX 1060 and it'll occasionally dip below 50 but it's mostly around 60. It's really well optimized.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I impulse bought it when it came out and am not disappointed so far! About how long is it? I'm a few hours in already but haven't had a chance to devote a lot of time yet.

The mental health disclaimer at the beginning was a red flag and made me wonder if it was a marketing gimmick, but the subject seems handled well, and not just "crazy people be crazy".

It runs surprisingly well on my aging computer (i5 3.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, GeForce 760), I didn't have to turn down many settings for it to still be playable.

I beat it in 7 hours, and I enjoyed every bit of it so at $30 I think it's a great price point. I did miss some of the runes so I'll have to go back and get them for the last achievement and apparently getting them all gets you some extra stuff during the ending.

Also I agree with the whole mental health "thing," it's really well done and portrayed in such a way that it's not comical and by the numbers. It's pretty frightening what Senua has to deal with and playing with headphones really puts you into her shoes.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
honestly I just watched a little, and it just seems like a AMSR game. Am I wrong or what?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Tired Moritz posted:

honestly I just watched a little, and it just seems like a AMSR game. Am I wrong or what?

From what I understand, it's supposed to be a realistic depiction of what it's like to suffer aural hallucinations. You have constant voices in your head telling you things (both positive and negative), which even have distinct personalities. It uses 3D audio to make them sound like they're actually in the room with you, which is why it's recommended to wear headphones.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Tired Moritz posted:

Im not sure how people are supposed to objectively answer that for you. If AMSR stands for what I think it does, it is different for everyone.

If you look purely at the gameplay, Hellblade is very simple. But that doesn't detract from the fact that this is a very interesting experience. Apparently people with actual schizophrenia attest that this game represents schizophrenic episodes really well, so if the idea of getting a glimpse what that is like sounds interesting I highly recommend Hellblade.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

It was a really minor thing but at the start of Hellblade when Senua turns and sneers at the camera and the narrator goes "Oh, she heard us" it caught me off guard. You're not listening to someone tell the story after the fact, you're hearing another voice that she also hears, narrating her life as she lives it. I don't know why I like that little detail so much, but I really do.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

that might be the worst titled thing ever tho.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Oh for sure the title is 100% garbage and really does a disservice to the game itself.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's well-known that in 2017 the dumber the name of the game, the better it is.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
spoil me: does the name actually has anything to do with the game

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Tired Moritz posted:

spoil me: does the name actually has anything to do with the game

About halfway through the game the main character Senua is indeed given the titular Hellblade, Gramr. The sword itself has very little to do with the story though.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
also in the strictest terms you have a sword and you're going to hel

shoulda been called helblade honestly

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

There's also a sacrifice (not a spoiler in the slightest) so eh I guess it makes sense, still not a good title!

Just finished it and it is really good. If anything the combat was a little finicky, and I thought it could have been a couple hours shorter, there's some repetitive rune puzzle solving that really came across as padding out the length. It uses the medium of game mechanics to tell a story really well, especially a key part at the end, and handles a delicate subject refreshingly well and without feeling exploitative. It definitely belongs in the horror game category too, a lot of the stuff it does with darkness and sensory perception is really effective. There's a part somewhere in the middle where you have to navigate around this dark cave and there are these shapes moving around in the darkness you never get a good look at and can't focus on, it was done really well.

Ferrous
Feb 28, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

It's well-known that in 2017 the dumber the name of the game, the better it is.

Remothered: Tormented Fathers for GOTY 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Heckblade