Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

They are not dissimilar, except vocally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

The guy made this out of actual metal. (Dark armor set from Dark Souls)

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Was it brought up in this thread that there is a guy who is making an Iron Man suit out of actual metal?

E: \/\/ Nice, Thanks!

The Repo Man has a new favorite as of 01:39 on Jul 29, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The Repo Man posted:

Was it brought up in this thread that there is a guy who is making an Iron Man suit out of actual metal?
Yep!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

A dude in Australia made a full Iron Man costume so he could visit kids in hospital and cheer them up. It's got all the lights, a mouth control in the helmet that lifts the visor, a voice changer that automatically starts when the visor closes and a few more tricks. Here he is at a Starlight foundation charity fundraiser where he walked around in the suit for 3 hours:

http://imgur.com/gallery/vJybi

Oh and he made the suit out of steel, it weighs 37kg (81.5 lbs)

It took him 3 years to finish the project, he had to go on a crazy crash diet earlier this year because he'd put on some weight and he didn't fit in the suit any more. :v:

His imgur gallery: http://imgur.com/user/barryarmstead/submitted

Here's his RPF thread, which has a ton more photos: https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=186158

Let's check in and see how he's going:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bmr4Fb9vIs

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It took him 3 years to finish the project, he had to go on a crazy crash diet earlier this year because he'd put on some weight and he didn't fit in the suit any more. :v:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

If I was to do a superhero this would be my muse.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Huh. I didn't know that the character Tony Stark had substance abuse problems, not just the actor that played him. That's kind of cool.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Hyperlynx posted:

Huh. I didn't know that the character Tony Stark had substance abuse problems, not just the actor that played him. That's kind of cool.

Robert Downey Jr was basically the perfect guy to play Tony Stark.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Hyperlynx posted:

Is this a joke? Have you seen none of the Iron Man movies (especially 2)?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Please don't tell people to watch Iron Man 2

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I saw the first one, thought it was ok, and left it at that.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

rydiafan posted:

I remember him just having a few drinks every now and then throughout movies, but never to the degree of it looking like a problem, multiple bottles/cans/shotglasses piling up.

Also no one remembers anything about 2 and the only things about 3 that come to mind to me are Tony's anxiety attacks and him being too obsessed with making more and more suits.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I think it's that people don't know that Tony was that type of guy from the start and it isn't a modern reboot feature

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Akuma and Bison/Balrog

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

(Pop Team Epic)

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

rydiafan posted:

I've never seen any of the Iron Man movies.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

His alcoholism is a plot point of 2, including an intervention after he has a drunken frat party at his mansion and wrecks half the place when he gets in a drunken fight with his friend while they're both in Iron Man suits.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Look at all these hipsters who've never seen an Iron Man movie in the cosplay thread.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I guess to me not knowing Iron Man has a substance abuse problem is like not knowing Batman is an orphan or Superman is an alien. It's the central character trait of an extremely well known character.

But whatever. Nobody's life is affected by some random Goons not knowing everything about a comic book character, so let's not derail.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
In the movies Stark is stressed out and overwhelmed and constantly worried about the consequences of his actions but not an alcoholic. In the comics he has a long history of substance abuse.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

(Pop Team Epic)

Hell yes

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

They won something! If you go on the Instagram, you can see it. And they also have a modest GoFundMe to raise $550 for transportation costs (which is funny to me, because...it's a robot that walks).

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

sunday at work posted:

In the movies Stark is stressed out and overwhelmed and constantly worried about the consequences of his actions but not an alcoholic. In the comics he has a long history of substance abuse.

Even before he's kidnapped in 1 he's such an alcoholic that he is drinking whiskey while making a sales demonstration in a combat zone.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

I'd make her bed rock

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
What, no Yabba Dabba Do Me?

Up your game bro.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Something something bam bam...

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Hey.

Cut it out.

(I couldn't find a Cosgrove cosplay to go along with this so you'll just have to imagine one.)

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

RickVoid posted:

What, no Yabba Dabba Do Me?

Up your game bro.

He's too busy having a gay old time.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Hey.

Cut it out.

(I couldn't find a Cosgrove cosplay to go along with this so you'll just have to imagine one.)

You know, I never realized I needed to see someone walking around at a convention in a cop uniform with a cup a' coffee and a can of hash until now.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

The Repo Man posted:

You know, I never realized I needed to see someone walking around at a convention in a cop uniform with a cup a' coffee and a can of hash until now.

You are not the only one...

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I.C. posted:

(which is funny to me, because...it's a robot that walks).

Hey, $550 is a small price to pay to ensure Talon doesn't steal a MEKA :colbert:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

*bird with airbrush in its beak looks up from photo* Eh, it's a livin'

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Got to meet him in person. Cool dude

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

davidspackage posted:

*bird with airbrush in its beak looks up from photo* Eh, it's a livin'

heh

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Internet Wizard posted:

Even before he's kidnapped in 1 he's such an alcoholic that he is drinking whiskey while making a sales demonstration in a combat zone.

That comes across more as "insouciant playboy". And Stark's not suffering when he's making the suit in the cave even though he's not drinking.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

RareAcumen posted:

Akuma and Bison/Balrog

Thought that was Lion-O on the left.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Alan Smithee posted:

Got to meet him in person. Cool dude

wanna see him in da share z0ne memes now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer
Ugh, that D.va mech stirred so much emotion when it came to MechaCon in NOLA this past weekend. Hype from the fans, of course, and pure vitriol from everyone in the cosplay contest for basically swooping in at the last minute and swiping two awards away from the rest of the contestant pool. They won a staggering $100 for their efforts.