Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

oh yeah that scene was great except for the magical vision in the flame bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
B R O N N

poo poo that was supposed to be to the sandor reply

CDHiggs
Dec 16, 2016

That night in Point Pleasant. Those red eyes Richard Gere would never forget.

Groovelord Neato posted:

i'm lolling that anyone is defending this poo poo now.

I remember the weeks after The Phantom Menace came out. It was the same sort of thing. People just can't handle it when something that's highly anticipated just stinks, so out come the excuses. It's understandable.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Varys getting spooked by Mel saying he will die on Westeros was weird. Like even if he was the type to care about magic prophecy and poo poo, which he isn't, uhhh yah bitch I live here obvii I'll die here eventually

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

drunken officeparty posted:

Varys getting spooked by Mel saying he will die on Westeros was weird. Like even if he was the type to care about magic prophecy and poo poo, which he isn't, uhhh yah bitch I live here obvii I'll die here eventually

Isn't she the one that told him about the voices/etc. on the night they took his parts? He's spooked of red priests in general, he heard some poo poo that night.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:

drunken officeparty posted:

He is the type to get spooked by magic poo poo, he told Tyrion about how he has magic PTSD after getting castrated

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

CDHiggs posted:

I remember the weeks after The Phantom Menace came out. It was the same sort of thing. People just can't handle it when something that's highly anticipated just stinks, so out come the excuses. It's understandable.

Most "prestige television" seems to turn into schlock after season 3-4. Show runners seem better at weaving all the mysteries and byzantine plots and shifting allegiances and prophecies than resolving them, budgets baloon, writers and directors change and leave.

We're definitely watching schlock but at least it's still fun schlock at it's best and we're going to keep watching it till the last fukkin frame because of the sunk cost phallus.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
I have to say the location scouting and set design this year are particularly top notch.

They also seem to have upped their game with the cinematography.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Most "prestige television" seems to turn into schlock after season 3-4. Show runners seem better at weaving all the mysteries and byzantine plots and shifting allegiances and prophecies than resolving them, budgets baloon, writers and directors change and leave.

We're definitely watching schlock but at least it's still fun schlock at it's best and we're going to keep watching it till the last fukkin frame because of the sunk cost phallus.

I'm still highly entertained each week and I still don't know how it ends so who cares?

I can sit there and laugh at the hokey teleporting villains and still think its a pretty fun show

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

They've just created too many messes to conviniently clean up, so they have to focus on the biggest ones.

It's not the worst crime. Like people upset that nobody did anything when Cersei blew up the church, getting upset makes sense.

But in the larger scale, we inherently Know Cersei isn't overthrown by a mob, she's beaten (or beats) one of the other legacy characters.

Getting worked up over it seems a bit naive but also in no way excuses the lovely show-running,

they should be better at this by now.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Someone really needs to report back about whether the dip of the beds behind the throne at the Dragonstone match the dip of the beds visible at the beach. If not then provide a cross-section thx.

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Yeah, with this many years of investment a show would have to have a Dexter-level falloff in quality for me to consider jumping ship.

I still can't bring myself to watch the last 3/4 of the final season.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's not just the peasants tho. it's them, all the nobles and poo poo. religion was pretty important back then. blowing up the sept should've driven most of the country into open revolt.

then again this is the show that just ignored "the north remembers" and gave the boltons no consequences for breaking the most sacred tradition and wiping out the most beloved house in westeros.

You've obviously invested a ton of time making your own head-canon for this show, but things just aren't going the way you want/imagined it. Get over it.

CDHiggs
Dec 16, 2016

That night in Point Pleasant. Those red eyes Richard Gere would never forget.

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Can't disagree with any of that.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Barreft posted:

You've obviously invested a ton of time making your own head-canon for this show, but things just aren't going the way you want/imagined it. Get over it.

lol

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
drat why does everyone assume the Sand Snakes are done? We didn't see anyone die and clearly Poison Snake has spent years developing a resistance to iocane powder.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Do normies think the show's declining?

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

DrNutt posted:

drat why does everyone assume the Sand Snakes are done? We didn't see anyone die and clearly Poison Snake has spent years developing a resistance to iocane powder.

Daenerys knocked off the miniature chess piece representing Dorne, which is the show's equivalent of dieing on your way back to your home planet, or in the show's own language, s7's equivalent to s6's "and the sept blew up and everyone died RIP"

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jul 31, 2017

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

DrNutt posted:

Westley would of been chilling on that throne by now

Fezzik > Hodor

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008

Supreme Allah posted:

They've just created too many messes to conviniently clean up, so they have to focus on the biggest ones.

It's not the worst crime. Like people upset that nobody did anything when Cersei blew up the church, getting upset makes sense.

But in the larger scale, we inherently Know Cersei isn't overthrown by a mob, she's beaten (or beats) one of the other legacy characters.

Getting worked up over it seems a bit naive but also in no way excuses the lovely show-running,

they should be better at this by now.

Yes but stories are a lot more fun when things have consequences. Which was, once upon a time, a huge selling point of this series. Like Ned would never die is season one and Robb wouldn't be murdered by c tier villains.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Most "Normie" reviews seem to think the season 6 finale was the high point of the show so far.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Becoming the three eyed raven gave Bran aspergers.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Nope.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

TheLoquid posted:

Yes but stories are a lot more fun when things have consequences. Which was, once upon a time, a huge selling point of this series. Like Ned would never die is season one and Robb wouldn't be murdered by c tier villains.

The lack of the un-expected, the lack of the predictable, has become a big weakness.

They need to do something truly surprising because they really did blow their wad early on.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Le Saboteur posted:

Becoming the three eyed raven gave Bran aspergers.

Sam needs to invent a fidget spinner to cure him.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

DrNutt posted:

Cersei made a comment about decapitating the snake.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Sam needs to invent a fidget spinner to cure him.

The scene with Jorah made it seem like he healed up and got all that scar tissue overnight, which I guess he did because the maesters were going to kick him out the next day. Maybe Jorah is Wolverine??? :tinfoil:

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

Supreme Allah posted:

Honestly I do get your point but nobody cares about the peasants, the masses of kings landing just aren't a character.

Euron basically said it in a throw-away line: they don't cheer because you win or lose, they just love decapitations

Yeah, I thought that line summed up the show's cynical depiction of "the people" as stupid, depraved, and completely agentless

And it hinted at D&D's contempt for us, the viewers

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I love that they resolved the Jorah Greyscale issue in one episode.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Olenna's gently caress you dead speech was good.

Unfortunately the way Olenna dies brings even more veracity to the season spoilers, and we are almost at like 50% through the season and so far they've been 100% true.

Oh boi.

WonderfulWino
Sep 26, 2004

The grape wont cut me loose.
How the gently caress did Mel not tell Dany and company about the death and resurection of Jon Snow? You'd think something like that would come up in casual conversation at the very least.

Caros
May 14, 2008

WonderfulWino posted:

How the gently caress did Mel not tell Dany and company about the death and resurection of Jon Snow? You'd think something like that would come up in casual conversation at the very least.

Didn't want to seem crazy? I raise the dead, btw.

Better question is why they didn't spend any time coming up with a pitch more convincing than "The dead are totes rising."

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Lmao at the dude who just yells whore three times

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Cornflakes posted:

Yeah, I thought that line summed up the show's cynical depiction of "the people" as stupid, depraved, and completely agentless

And it hinted at D&D's contempt for us, the viewers

it's also entirely consistent with how the smallfolk behave in the show. Kings Landing goes from hating to loving to hating the Lannisters seemingly overnight depending on whatever happened the previous day.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Littlefinger - Quantum Physics Professor confirmed

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Littlefinger - Quantum Physics Professor confirmed

Edit: double post observed

geeves fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jul 31, 2017

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
:tviv: that was a really bad episode.

The Sansa/Bran reunion was the only thing I cared about but they made that as awkwardly written and acted as possible.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

WonderfulWino posted:

How the gently caress did Mel not gently caress Dany?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Le Saboteur posted:

I love that they resolved the Jorah Greyscale issue in one episode.

Also eliminated two armies and two castles in the same episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Lmao at the dude who just yells whore three times

at first i thought it was the guy who flashed cersei but then i remembered he died

• Locked thread