Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
His art is bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I like it alright. But then I am historically a lot more forgiving of comics with a daily or near daily update schedule. Not as good as Sluggy or Schlock Mercenary but still maybe the fourth best daily update comic I read?

Although if anyone wants to point to better daily update comics to read instead I am all for it...

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Newspaper Spiderman.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

newspaper spiderman is the best spiderman.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Newspaper Spider-Man is beyond all things.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Mezzacotta

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
There's at least three other newspaper comics that are more entertaining reads than dumbing of age or any other daily webcomic

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

David Willis really likes to show off in Dumbing of Age how his values have changed, but stylistically he's the same as he's always been. He can make some fun jokes to draw you in, but he's always inexorably drawn towards making the most ridiculous drama plots he can imagine. I think he's trying to make Amazi-Girl into one of the darker versions of Batman.

He's still the same person who in his gag-a-day comic had one of the characters sacrifice her life to save the main character from drunk driving and then followed it up with a wacky story where another of the characters gets kidnapped by aliens.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

SlothfulCobra posted:

David Willis really likes to show off in Dumbing of Age how his values have changed, but stylistically he's the same as he's always been. He can make some fun jokes to draw you in, but he's always inexorably drawn towards making the most ridiculous drama plots he can imagine. I think he's trying to make Amazi-Girl into one of the darker versions of Batman.

He's still the same person who in his gag-a-day comic had one of the characters sacrifice her life to save the main character from drunk driving and then followed it up with a wacky story where another of the characters gets kidnapped by aliens.

This is still something you could say in many fewer words with just "soap opera."

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

The good things about Dumbing of Age center around Joyce and her journey from being a crazy fundamentalist to a more open and accepting person. Since Dave Willis is writing from experience there he pulls it off decently well. Everything else in the comic seems like it's either the bad kind of melodramatic cheese, or obvious pandering. Joyce and her stuff is engaging enough for me to keep following, but I'm well aware that 90% of this comic is not good.

Since I've been reading his comics since It's Walky I'm kind of numb to the dumb jokes and melodrama, so it's just kind of background noise to me. The new LGBT stuff seems... sincere, I guess? Like I get the sense that he's honestly doing his best trying to do right by it. I might not think it's especially good treatment of the subject, but it's not really hate worthy either. Most of the time.

But the stuff with Amber being a costumed vigilante feels like Willis read some critical essays about how Batman would really be messed up psychologically, then thought "Wow, I should do that. It'll be so deep." But it's not deep. Just dumb and out of place.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

amber belongs in a psychiatric ward

other then that, i have no issues with dumbing of age

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Galvanik posted:

The good things about Dumbing of Age center around Joyce and her journey from being a crazy fundamentalist to a more open and accepting person. Since Dave Willis is writing from experience there he pulls it off decently well. Everything else in the comic seems like it's either the bad kind of melodramatic cheese, or obvious pandering. Joyce and her stuff is engaging enough for me to keep following, but I'm well aware that 90% of this comic is not good.

Same, except I can't push through the other stuff to keep up on the Joyce plot.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I also like that he expects people to take any Amazigirl drama seriously when her name is Amazigirl and she wears a bright yellow costume

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Dangerous Person posted:

I also like that he expects people to take any Amazigirl drama seriously when her name is Amazigirl and she wears a bright yellow costume

Par for the course in superhero comics.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Yeah I mean, Bruce Wayne runs around in a bat outfit and people still take him seriously somehow.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Because he talks like he smokes a crate of cigars every hour and as we all know smoking is really cool.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Renaissance Robot posted:

Because he talks like he smokes a crate of cigars every hour and as we all know smoking is really cool.

strong avatar post combo here.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

Par for the course in superhero comics.

Dumbing of Age is not a cape comic. It's not even satire.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i like this latest twist in bad machinery. kids are plenty smarter than we give them credit for

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Tenebrais posted:

The question is whether he's sincere about this, or whether he's covering for his monster threatening him. We've seen little enough of their interactions that it could go either way, though if the latter I think his would be the only monster hostile to its host?

Is it too late to throw in the wild theory that the 'person' who has been talking and doing weird science this whole time is the skin monster, and the whispering voice is the human Rjinder?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

heck yea

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Bobulus posted:

Is it too late to throw in the wild theory that the 'person' who has been talking and doing weird science this whole time is the skin monster, and the whispering voice is the human Rjinder?

I think it's been brought up a few times before. Imo I think its definitely possible.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

no!

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Arsenic's gleeful expression is the best part of that

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
It's clevins all the way down.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
Today's Oscar Wilde is a glorious payoff. Going back and reading the first few pages of the chapter, and it's a whole new way of looking at it.

cell
Nov 25, 2003

The more Johnny the better.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Arsenic's gleeful expression is the best part of that

Sucks to be Coco though

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Axiem posted:

Today's Oscar Wilde is a glorious payoff. Going back and reading the first few pages of the chapter, and it's a whole new way of looking at it.

Yah, that "hope you didn't hear me singing" turned out to be literal. Pretty nifty.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Axiem posted:

It's also sad :(

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
To be honest, I wasn't really digging this hipster-barrista plot until now. But I also am not a coffee-shop person at all.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I am not a coffee shop person either but murderous sirens are extremely my bag

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I find that Oscar really needs to develop a modicum of awareness. I mean he's rented a haunted house from Barbara Yaga and is friend with Clifford the Big Red Dog Werewolf. So when he starts having visions of flooding and dreams of drowning just after having heard a girl named Lorelei sing, he should be able to add 2 and 2 together.

The next chapter of Wilde Life: Oscar finds that Podunk is oddly deserted, despite all the efforts apparently made to attract tourists, like this whole statue park that appeared. He goes on a date with the attractive girl at the park's entrance booth, a goth chick with a pet snake, named Maddie Ouza.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

To be fair, I don't think he picked up that there was something weird about his landlord, so he hasn't really been on the lookout for Alucards and other obvious supernatural naming conventions. (Clifford is less a reference and more a good joke the author is having on Cliff, I think)

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
How will Oscar deal with the Lou Job Goust?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Bobulus posted:

To be fair, I don't think he picked up that there was something weird about his landlord, so he hasn't really been on the lookout for Alucards and other obvious supernatural naming conventions. (Clifford is less a reference and more a good joke the author is having on Cliff, I think)

I actually really like the way that the comic handles Oscar's reactions. He's learned that magic is real and mythical creatures exist and he's intelligently digging into the stuff he's seen but he doesn't immediately go :aaa: MAGIC IS EVERYWHERE ALL MYTHS ARE REAL. He's in Oklahoma and most of the supernatural stuff he's seen is rooted in Native American mythology, so that's where his attention is focused. I think this episode will open his eyes a bit but for now I'm enjoying a modern fantasy story where the protagonist isn't super genre-savvy about everything right away.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
http://www.scarygoround.com/index.php?date=20170803

I want to be a freeloader, too.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

It's a great job until the resonance cascade hits and aliens start teleporting in.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Straight White Shark posted:

It's a great job until the resonance cascade hits and aliens start teleporting in.

That'd pretty much like how all his jobs end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
In Poppy news:

Watch a high powered telekinetic kill literally everyone!

• Locked thread