Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Hey man, I've had Carlos Ruiz on my team

It's not fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Bob Bradley wasn't really to blame for the dumpster fire that was Chivas USA; but still, a funny one for those of us who have been around long enough to actually remember that this league used to have a team called Chivas USA...seems like only yesterday...

quote:

https://www.thenutmegnews.com/curre...ming-chivas-usa

Chivas USA Replacement Team Hires Former Chivas USA Coach In Effort To Avoid Becoming Chivas USA

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
If Snyder buys DC United, are they going to change the name?

Maybe the DC Celestials?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Thanatosian posted:

If Snyder buys DC United, are they going to change the name?

Maybe the DC Celestials?

That doesn't look like an ethnic slur...

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

whypick1 posted:

I didn't want to use something less archaic, but it is, in fact, an ethnic slur. Used mostly to refer to Chinese people in the late 1800s, I think.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

The more you know then

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Yeah, there was a Doctor Who bad guy in the 60's named the Celestial Toymaker who was a guy in yellowface. I know I originally thought Celestial in this instance meant space-related, what with it being Doctor Who and all. Thankfully, three of the four episodes he appeared in were wiped by the BBC.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Thanatosian posted:

I didn't want to use something less archaic, but it is, in fact, an ethnic slur. Used mostly to refer to Chinese people in the late 1800s, I think.

They still refer to themselves that way. Part of why Eastern Medicine is so weird is because the Han Chinese literally believe they are a different kind of human than the rest of us.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

So D.C. United is chasing deJong and have already failed (according to sources which are probably true) to get their South American primary target. We're also going to lose the bid for Nemeth and Olsson from the British fart league.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Thanatosian posted:

Wow, I didn't know that. Certainly gives a new flavor to this branch of D&D creatures. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celestial_(Dungeons_%26_Dragons)

Outdated racial slurs can be fascinating.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'll never forget when one of my white soldiers called one of my black soldiers a moon cricket.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Apparently a whole bunch of San Francisco cocksuckers in this thread never watched Deadwood.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

I hope they decide who they are selling to before I re up my DCU season tickets.

Snyder...just gently caress

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

whypick1 posted:

Redskins isn't an ethnic slur either

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Oh word, is that all

Seeing the continent from a car is one of the most fun things in the world, and everyone who believes otherwise either hasn't done it or had a terrible road trip partner.

As someone who drove drat near literally from coast to coast (Savannah GA - Santa Cruz CA), I hear ya buddy.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Not necessarily MLS news, but definitely with sharing:

https://twitter.com/NBCSportsSoccer/status/892153441228906496

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
New York Times on Schweinsteiger in Chicago:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/01/sports/soccer/a-german-soccer-star-orders-himself-an-extra-helping-of-chicago.html

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman
This looks hilariously bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-E6lwUFiQI

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Wrong thread.

Holy loving poo poo that looks bad.

It's like they took the movie Goal and Playmakers (ESPN show that made the NFL threaten to pull their support of the channel) and mashed them together and threw in a Quebecois accent.

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman

Shrapnig posted:

Wrong thread.

Holy loving poo poo that looks bad.

It's like they took the movie Goal and Playmakers (ESPN show that made the NFL threaten to pull their support of the channel) and mashed them together and threw in a Quebecois accent.

A character talked about being the first female coach in "the MLS", so I figured this was the thread,

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

JayMax posted:

A character talked about being the first female coach in "the MLS", so I figured this was the thread,

The Weekend Web thread is the correct thread.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Which lasts longer: that series or the Impact's playoff hopes?

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman

whypick1 posted:

Which lasts longer: that series or the Impact's playoff hopes?

Well, the pilot already aired.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

i literally just finished watching the pilot of 21 thunder on the good old canadian broadcasting corporation, and it is in no way that much worse than dream team or club de cuervos

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

the most inaccurate part was how it showed actual fans showing up to watch montreal's farm team

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Azerban posted:

i literally just finished watching the pilot of 21 thunder on the good old canadian broadcasting corporation, and it is in no way that much worse than dream team or club de cuervos

Even John Doyle liked it, and I'm convinced he hates all CanCon on principle and the Globe is ACTUALLY paying him to write soccer hot takes rather than TV reviews.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

The All Star Game is objectively silly, but I'm still pretty excited to go tonight. Tailgating on the lake is always fun.

And, of course, just in time for the spotlight to shine on the city and the club, the Fire have reverted back to their old ways of shooting themselves in the collective genitals. Accam is likely going to Turkey after a falling out with Paunovic. :rolleyes:

Hello Towel fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Aug 2, 2017

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

The worst thing about the all star game is that no matter how many times you change your preferences on the Android MLS application you'll still get notices about it.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

binge crotching posted:

The worst thing about the all star game is that no matter how many times you change your preferences on the Android MLS application you'll still get notices about it.

Turn all your notifications off except for calls email and texts. Solved that problem and tons of others.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Speaking of the All Star game
https://streamable.com/il7o1

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Seltzer posted:

I came here to link this :mad:

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

camoseven posted:

I came here to link this :mad:

Too slow! Also is there an August GDT or is the all star game being discussed here or in the July thread... I'm not ashamed to admit that I enjoy the all star game spectacle, though I do think it's hosed up that the golden boot winner of last year or actually just anybody from the Eastern conference champion winning team isn't on the team. Mccarty sort of counts but seriously the golden boot winner should be an autoinclude.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Seltzer posted:

holy gently caress

almost makes up for the fact they didn't play the canadian anthem with 3 fuckin tfc players in the starting lineup like a bunch of incorrigible cocksuckers would do

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

How many of those TFC players were actually Canadian?

I bet it was zero.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
http://www.espnfc.us/miami-fc/story/3171424/miami-fc-taking-promotion-relegation-fight-to-court-of-arbitration-for-sport

pro/rel thing going to the CAS. lol

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The FIFA rules in question:

quote:

A Club’s entitlement to take part in a domestic league championship shall
depend principally on sporting merit. A Club shall qualify for a domestic
league championship by remaining in a certain division or by being promoted
or relegated to another at the end of a season.
In addition to qualification on sporting merit, a Club’s participation in a
domestic league championship may be subject to other criteria within the
scope of the licensing procedure, whereby the emphasis is on sporting,
infrastructural, administrative, legal and financial considerations. Licensing
decisions must be able to be examined by the Member’s body of appeal.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Riccardo Silva, who is the guy doing the suing, is one of the guys who offered MLS $4 billion for media rights if they did pro/rel. Methinks there's a connection.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Hopefully MLS loses and gets humiliated by FIFA

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Speaking of MLS losing things,

http://deadspin.com/is-mls-a-ponzi-scheme-1797509617

Wow, could not possibly see that MLS is only afloat by bilking billionaires out of overpriced franchise deals, who in turn bilk taxpayers out of money for stadiums due to MLS's insane "you must have a brand new soccer stadium to join MLS" rule. Wonder how long this can last.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Lol. It's Deadspin.

• Locked thread