Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Is the voting only open to members of the Majlis? If not, I'm voting A: to give power to the Sultan!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

A The Sultan

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

CommissarMega posted:

Is the voting only open to members of the Majlis? If not, I'm voting A: to give power to the Sultan!

I was confused for a second. I forgot there's two of you.:v:

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
I'd say our two priorities now in terms of war should be attacking Morocco and eating up the rest of Mexico. We really could use those gold mines too.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
Majlis, Death to the Sultan!

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
The Majis are a bunch of incompetent squabblers! They only look to what is in their own best interest! The sultan has the good of the nation at heart! He is the heart of the nation!

A

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

B – The Majlis

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Cure for cancer discovered!
Court physicians hate him!
Updated tally:

A - 17 - Mountaineer, Hitlers Gay Secret, Snipee, Ralepozozaxe, kibaces, Flavius Belisarius, HiHo ChiRho, Odysseus S. Grant, Slaan, Vinny Possum, crimea, Mr.Morgenstern, ThatBasqueGuy, Zakrelo, CommissarMega, sheep-dodger, Affi.

B - 37 - Rodyle, Ikasuhito, mcclay, Danny Glands, Weebus, catlord, RZApublican, the JJ, MuteAllison, AJ_Impy, WilliamAnderson, everydayfalls, Lord Cyrahzax, Yvonmukluk, Grizzwold, Talas, paragon1, HannibalBarca, Captain Oblivious, Quorum, The Bold Kobold, GunnerJ, ZearothK, Nine of Eight, TheFlyingLlama, Dance Officer, Rubix Squid, Soup du Jour, Frionnel, Technowolf, Agean90, Aeromancia, Viola the Mad, Crazycryodude, unwantedplatypus, RagnarokZ, Camoes.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

HiHo ChiRho posted:

And then the Ulemas invite the pope because why the gently caress not.

it was a good strategy and i would have gotten away with it too if it weren't for those meddling revolutionaries and that stupid prester john

oh, and A. The Sultan because i can

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Nov 12, 2017

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
Voting A just to even things out. I like that each Sultan has their own personality.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3
A. I stand with our most divine and resplendent and definitely not insane Sultan!

devildragon777
May 17, 2014

They'd be a lot more scary if they were more than an inch tall each.

Going with the Majlis. Balance is needed, not some mad king!

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
B – The Majlis
Half our sultans have been madmen, a quarter more bloody incompetent. That's not a good tally.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
Before the great age of exploration we the Majils helped the sultan make and found our nation, and together we have ensured that Andalusia have thrived in both fortune and strife. Up until now! Now the sultan spits at our memory and curses our very establishment. Utman III has gone too far!

I, Lutfi al-Uthman, sides with the Majils!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

GunnerJ posted:

Yeah I get that. And I get why the Taifas complained so much about the last change in ruling faction. I mean I've been playing Merchants from the start and I see the other side of this: Merchants get enough members to rule, and then they start doing things they're not well suited to, like wars of conquest. But these new members come from some other factions in order to start wars as merchants. Here it's especially baffling: if you wanted to go to war with Morocco or whoever, why not just stick with the Taifas? That'd have been fine. There's no point in having a ruling majority if you're going to squander it doing poo poo that your new ruling faction isn't suited for and your old ruling faction was.

I think people who are laying this at the feet of the Merchants/Merchants advocating for war didn't really read the update. Picking a fight with the Celts was our real problem, war with Morocco was fine and tenable as a prospect.

Then when we had plausible outs from the situation, the Sultan did his level best to sabotage.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Captain Oblivious posted:

I think people who are laying this at the feet of the Merchants/Merchants advocating for war didn't really read the update. Picking a fight with the Celts was our real problem, war with Morocco was fine and tenable as a prospect.

Then when we had plausible outs from the situation, the Sultan did his level best to sabotage.

Celts or Moroccans, whatever, if you want a war, play Taifas.

But yeah we're really kinda overlooking the Uppity Sultan angle, which happens to have some basis in the faction system as well, but nobody's ranting about the Loyalists.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

GunnerJ posted:

But yeah we're really kinda overlooking the Uppity Sultan angle, which happens to have some basis in the faction system as well, but nobody's ranting about the Loyalists.

In theory, loyalty to the Sultan is reasonable in almost every case. In this one instance, he went mad and started trying to unravel the basic fabric of Andalusi governance that has secured the entire peninsula for the Faithful, imperilling our colonies in the process. The Loyalists are not to blame for the Sultan proving to be faithless and mad, and they would be welcomed back to the other parties with open arms as our brothers in faith and country.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Yeah if I knew the sultan was going to literally become insane the day after we rearranged the Majlis I would've gone with the Taifas instead. It seemed like a good idea at the time - he had good stats, and I thought the zealotry would make him dunk all over France/Native Americans and be nice to our Muslim allies instead of the exact opposite. Lesson learned.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jul 31, 2017

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

Crazycryodude posted:

Yeah if I knew the sultan was going to literally become insane the day after we rearranged the Majlis I would've gone with the Taifas instead. It seemed like a good idea at the time - he had good stats, and I thought the zealotry would make him dunk all over France/Native Americans and be nice to our Muslim allies instead of the exact opposite. Lesson learned.

I too expected something different from our Sultan, but I'm keeping faith alive that he can help usher in a new golden age after cleaning house.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Crazycryodude posted:

To be fair, the reason he didn't go to war with France was because that would drag Morocco in as well, and his zealotry made him very unwilling to war with Muslims. He had no problem fighting the Celts, but he's still a bit mad, so he blamed all the losses on the Majlis. This is the age of absolutism and the divine right of kings, so I imagine he'd want to create a sultanate very similar to the Vakhtani Caliphate, with himself as the absolute ruler in all matters political and theological.

And with a ruler with stats as good as Utman's, that probably wouldn't be so bad. The real problems would arise when we inevitably get a 0/1/1 or something.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

GunnerJ posted:

There's a very simple reason to be Merchants while advocating for war. It secures an economic advantage and allows for more extensive colonization as per the rules Hashim has set forth. Being able to colonize as much as possible is ideal in our current situation, and the lack or Taifa military advantages doesn't preclude military action as long as you pick sensible targets. Morocco is not our military peer even with the lack of Taifa bonuses, the Celts are a different story.

So yeah that's why Merchants made sense even with an intent to make war.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Well now that the merchants have had their teeth kicked in twice now; maybe they'll stop advocating for wars they shouldn't wage. :colbert:

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

The problem was never starting a war as the Merchants, it was passing a crappy act that severely overestimated our strength.

C'mon merchants have some faith in yourselves.

Hashim posted:

To be fair, the reason he didn't go to war with France was because that would drag Morocco in as well

Just lol if we had gone to war with France and Morocco right after that disastrous defeat. Maybe we shouldn't try to attack three major powers all at once guys.

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 31, 2017

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I'm unspeakably furious at our loss of naval dominance and blame it all on the Sultan.

Give us back our fleets! :argh:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

AJ_Impy posted:

In theory, loyalty to the Sultan is reasonable in almost every case. In this one instance, he went mad and started trying to unravel the basic fabric of Andalusi governance that has secured the entire peninsula for the Faithful, imperilling our colonies in the process. The Loyalists are not to blame for the Sultan proving to be faithless and mad, and they would be welcomed back to the other parties with open arms as our brothers in faith and country.

In practice, "Empowering the monarch to act without any oversight or check is good, unless the monarch is bad" is exactly the practical problem with absolute monarchy.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
B – The Majlis

gbuchold
Oct 7, 2007

We feel free because we lack the very language to articulate our unfreedom.
Pillbug
A — The Sultan

The multi-pronged policy legalism was old when it started. I will pretty much always vote to minimize voting in an LP.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

AJ_Impy posted:

Actually, heads, spikes, walls.

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

I stand with the Sultan! (A) Kill the traitors!!!

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

Finally caught up, great LP. As for the vote, B – The Majlis lets maybe stop having a crazy person try to steer the ship.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

TyrsHTML posted:

Finally caught up, great LP. As for the vote, B – The Majlis lets maybe stop having a crazy person try to steer the ship.

:confused: So you prefer the ship to be steered by a committee of crazy people instead?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Multiple contradicting crazy visions have a chance to cancel each other out.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

We're not crazy, we're incompetent, it's different.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

:siren:Voting closed!:siren: The Majlis has garnered far more support than the Sultan, but Utman is not without significant backing of his own. Since B has such a commanding lead though, the Majlis will have initial control of the sultanate (so I'll be "playing" as them), whilst Utman will be represented as a rebel leader. His forces won't be as numerous as the Majlis', but don't count him out just yet, the outcome of the Fitna will largely revolve around how many other rebellions (separatists, catholics, peasants and so on) fire concurrently.

Final tally:

A - 22 - Mountaineer, Hitlers Gay Secret, Snipee, Ralepozozaxe, kibaces, Flavius Belisarius, HiHo ChiRho, Odysseus S. Grant, Slaan, Vinny Possum, crimea, Mr.Morgenstern, ThatBasqueGuy, Zakrelo, CommissarMega, sheep-dodger, Affi, QuoProQuid, Chatrapati, Erwin the German, gbuchold, Picard Day.

B - 42 - Rodyle, Ikasuhito, mcclay, Danny Glands, Weebus, catlord, RZApublican, the JJ, MuteAllison, AJ_Impy, WilliamAnderson, everydayfalls, Lord Cyrahzax, Yvonmukluk, Grizzwold, Talas, paragon1, HannibalBarca, Captain Oblivious, Quorum, The Bold Kobold, GunnerJ, ZearothK, Nine of Eight, TheFlyingLlama, Dance Officer, Rubix Squid, Soup du Jour, Frionnel, Technowolf, Agean90, Aeromancia, Viola the Mad, Crazycryodude, unwantedplatypus, RagnarokZ, Camoes, devildragon777, Lynneth, Luhood, Buzzsaw Roomba, TyrsHTML.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Friends, Andalusians, Countrymen, lend me your ears!

In this time of crisis, I feel we should form a grand coalition of those who have stood with the Maijlis. I, for one, would be willing to yield to the Taifas to oversee the war effort. All our efforts must be to end this civil war and prevent opportunistic foes from stabbing us in the back.

To whit, I have three recommendations in mind. These are not policies.

1) Hire mercenaries to bolster our numbers before the mad Sultan can.
2) If we can tolerate additional minorities, do so. Hopefully that will cut down on other rebellions (I think forced conversion will only make things worse).
3) Try and sooth the diplomatic situation.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Hopefully we can eliminate the Ulema entirely since they mostly sided with the Sultan. Their treatment of the Dhimmi mocks the traditions and institutions of Al-Andalus :colbert:

Zakrelo
Dec 19, 2015
Rebel traitors! When the Sultan reigns in his palace once more, we know who's going to the gallows!

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Death to the Majlis!

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3
Too long have we strayed from Allah's brilliant radiance! This farce of a body has charted a most erratic course; now we must let the Sultan's steadying hand steer the ship of state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Captain Oblivious posted:

Hopefully we can eliminate the Ulema entirely since they mostly sided with the Sultan. Their treatment of the Dhimmi mocks the traditions and institutions of Al-Andalus :colbert:

And that's why I sided with the Sultan. Everyone wants us dead despite us never leading our country to ruin.