Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Bottom Liner posted:

gently caress man. Go all out. Dark red wine, moody lighting with candles, creepy music, etc. Make it a special experience.

I would, but I've told all of our friends to try and stop by at some point tonight, even if they can't stay. I'm sure there will be a lot of interruptions and a lot of moments where I'll be on the edge of losing it. I was hoping that we'd have more than just a few days, but his kidneys are pretty much non-functioning at this point, so it's likely to go downhill really fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Big McHuge posted:

He's also asked me to take care of his game collection for his family after he passes, because they really don't know the value of his stuff. Luckily we have a great support network of friends in the area who have offered to help with anything and everything.

This any relation to the recent thread on BGG?

My condolences either way. Life's a loving rotten thing.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Man good on you, like everyone else said that's heavy and that's awesome you're helping. But geez, I have no idea if I'd be able to beat my friend at a game knowing it was their dying wish to play it... but I also know my friends wouldn't want me to throw something like that. Christ.

Frush
Jun 26, 2008

Countblanc posted:

Man good on you, like everyone else said that's heavy and that's awesome you're helping. But geez, I have no idea if I'd be able to beat my friend at a game knowing it was their dying wish to play it... but I also know my friends wouldn't want me to throw something like that. Christ.

If you don't actually play you'll miss out on some potentially good moments, but maybe where I'd draw the line is not making any really aggressive/dick moves. The whole thing is going to be emotionally charged enough.

I do think the fangs is a good idea though. At least it should buy a bit of a laugh when you bring them out.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Jedit posted:

This any relation to the recent thread on BGG?

My condolences either way. Life's a loving rotten thing.

I don't think so, but I suppose it's possible that someone from the FLGS where he was really active posted something. This has all transpired in the past few days. We knew he was sick, and he had declined a bit last fall but was starting to do better. He's been fighting a ton of ailments for the past 30 years though. He had leukemia as a child and the treatments worked, but just wrecked a ton of his other internal organs.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Just remember games should be fun. Its about hanging out with your bud for what time you have left. Ham it up. Make voices. Dont rules lawyer. Just enjoy it.

Also what version are you playing. Cause you might want to take out the card that resets the game. gently caress that card

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

What's with all the hate on Vast? It wasn't awful. I played it and it had a lot of neat ideas. I would gladly play it more knowing how the players can be checks and balances.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I dunno what you've seen but I've not seen any real vitriol. The strongest criticisms I've seen are absically what you said (and my opinion): neat idea, execution's a bit lacking.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Got to try Champions of Midgard recently.

It's.... fine? Doesn't seem to stand out from any other worker placement points salad, except for the addition of dice, which I don't think improve the game.

Not sure why it's rated quite so highly on BGG, was it a Kickstarter?

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Crackbone posted:

It's.... fine? Doesn't seem to stand out from any other worker placement points salad, except for the addition of dice, which I don't think improve the game.

I think what's going on here is the same as Lords of Waterdeep or Stone Age, it's been played a lot as a gateway game which means a lot of people have played it and enjoyed it without the context of 'better' worker placement games.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

djfooboo posted:

What's with all the hate on Vast? It wasn't awful. I played it and it had a lot of neat ideas. I would gladly play it more knowing how the players can be checks and balances.

Tons of fiddly rules and having to teach everyone an entirely different game each time they play a new role. Neat little game though.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Big McHuge posted:

I would, but I've told all of our friends to try and stop by at some point tonight, even if they can't stay. I'm sure there will be a lot of interruptions

You should at least be able to throw some frozen garlic bread in the oven. :-D

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Crackbone posted:

It was a popular theme for a moment: Champions of Midgard, Feast for Odin, Blood Rage, etc. I agree with your assessment--there's nothing in the gameplay that made me want to play it again.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
So it went pretty well given that we had about 5-8 other people hanging out around talking and such, outside of the 5 of us that were playing. I wasn't planning on playing Dracula, but he wanted to play as a hunter, so I obliged. Mid way into week two, we were at about the 2 hour mark, and they had done a pretty good job of picking up my trail and such. I probably could have escaped what ended up being the final confrontation, but since his hunter was involved I overstayed and he ended up dealing the killing blow to me. While the game was only ok in my book, the experience due to the circumstances was great and certainly will be something I'll never forget.

My GF and I both managed to keep it together till we got in our car to leave, then we just broke down for a few minutes. Most importantly, our friend was in high spirits all day, and I think we were able to provide a much-needed distraction for him. Hopefully we'll be able to see him a few more times over the next few days, but even if he passes tomorrow I know for sure that he had some really great moments right up to the end.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Big McHuge posted:

So it went pretty well given that we had about 5-8 other people hanging out around talking and such, outside of the 5 of us that were playing. I wasn't planning on playing Dracula, but he wanted to play as a hunter, so I obliged. Mid way into week two, we were at about the 2 hour mark, and they had done a pretty good job of picking up my trail and such. I probably could have escaped what ended up being the final confrontation, but since his hunter was involved I overstayed and he ended up dealing the killing blow to me. While the game was only ok in my book, the experience due to the circumstances was great and certainly will be something I'll never forget.

My GF and I both managed to keep it together till we got in our car to leave, then we just broke down for a few minutes. Most importantly, our friend was in high spirits all day, and I think we were able to provide a much-needed distraction for him. Hopefully we'll be able to see him a few more times over the next few days, but even if he passes tomorrow I know for sure that he had some really great moments right up to the end.

Plastic fangs?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
and now I'm crying.

I hope you guys get through this, and might want to consider a grief counselor when alls said and done.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Turtlicious posted:

and now I'm crying.

I hope you guys get through this, and might want to consider a grief counselor when alls said and done.

I"m a fairly stoic guy and I've had a number of moments where my tears were welling up. When we first went to the hospital, I asked him if there was anything he wanted me to go get from his condo, like his Switch. He replied that he didn't want to start anything that he knew he wasn't going to be able to finish. I honestly felt like I had been stabbed.

Thankfully he's been much happier since the hospital agreed to let him go home on hospice. I haven't asked him directly, but I'm pretty sure he's at peace with everything, at least as much as a person can be.

Also, no fangs, but I did occasionally talk in a goofy Dracula accent.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Big McHuge posted:

You are an awesome friend! I'm glad he was at peace about the whole thing and that the evening went well.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Big McHuge posted:

He replied that he didn't want to start anything that he knew he wasn't going to be able to finish. I honestly felt like I had been stabbed.

Fuuuuuuuck, that is heavy as hell.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Here is a pic of the 18Ireland game I played tonight:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I'll tell you the story of what happened two nights ago, and I'd like to know what you feel about it - especially if I was in the wrong.

My friend had a birthday the other day; he's part of my game group, and on birthdays we have birthday games. He loves Game of Thrones: the Board Game - he plays a couple of game daily on his phone, on some site that allows this, and has played hundreds, if not thousands of games. I've only ever played half a game, that was broken in the middle due to time constraints, about 3 years ago; however, I had on my shelf a copy bought as a gift for a third member of our game group, who left it on my shelf due to me being the host and organizer; so, after the birthday boy asked to play AGOT, I've arranged the night.

On the night of the game, we were six - Bday-boy, his BFF, the game-owner, my wife, myself, and the antagonist of this story, henceforth called Crevice. Crevice, like Bday-boy, has a long history with AGOT; he used to moderate an online game forum, and plays the game often online. Similarly, he had under his belt, hundreds, if not thousands, games played.

Being the host, I made dinner - Pasta Carbonara for the carnists, and Tofu stir-fried vegetable noodles in peanut butter for the vegans. My friends and wife set to the table, and I've served dinner. Game-Owner's dog was sick, so he brought her with him; I spent some time mediating between her and my cats, so by the time my cat had regained his composure and started curiously examining her from a safe distance, my food was already cold.

After dinner we've cleaned up, had some birthday cake, set-up the game, and I've explained the rules (Bday doesn't like explaining rules, so I've read up on them in advance). I was the Lannisters (I usually play red, and they are red, so it made sense), and Crevice was the Greyjoys. To make sure the game advanced in a brisk pace, we've limited each planning round to 7 minutes; due to our experience disparity, Bday was helping my wife and Crevice was helping BFF. I improvised. Earlier, while cooking, I overheard Crevice saying he is going to give the Lannisters a nasty surprise, and I assumed it meant he'll try to attack me by sea, so I've build two ship. I was wrong - he attacked a coastal zone I moved into, failing to notice his sea area was adjacent to it. Then came a Mustering, and on turn 2 Crevice attacked my home-area; he made a quick attack at my sea zone, easily defeating my waiting ships with a card that made his ships twice as strong, and than marched into my capital and broke it with a card that cancelled my card. Before he marched, I asked him not to do it - I said it would only lead us both to loss, as I'd be forced to counter attack with my meager surviving forces, and we'd both be stuck behind everyone, mutually destroying each other for the rest of the game. He did it anyway.

I was out of the game.

When I say "out of the game", I do not mean "Unable to win"; I mean "No longer had enough units on the board, could only place 2 orders, and could not participate in the game". I was out of the game, and looking forward to about 2 hours of people bickering around my table, with me not playing. I do not like to claim a game in unbalanced on the first play, but it felt unfair, in application if not mechanically; I am still unsure how I could have avoided it - even knowing his cards and future actions, I cannot find a way to counter his actions. Surely there is one, I just don't know it.

I have a very poor poker-face, and my anger was evident. I unkindly told Crevice that from now on, I will no longer be trying to win, just to make sure he lost. I told him I would do my best to destroy his night, as he had destroyed mine. He was visibly shaken - I'm larger than him, and a veteran, and my voice booms when I am angry. I do not shout, but I am loud.

Another Mustering card came up, and BFF took his time; 3 minutes into his deployment, discussing options and strategies with Crevice, I unkindly demanded that they finish up - they were playing outside of the agreed upon timer, essentially cheating; worse, having nothing to do for the next few hours, I did not want to prolong the game.

At this point, Game-Owner decided he no longer wants to play. My visible anger was making the room more and more depressing. I tried to rein myself in, and told them I'm going to the bathroom, to gather myself. I asked they be done with their turns and actions by the time I am back, as I have nothing to do anymore and do not wish this to take forever.

When I was back, they told me the game is over. They no longer wanted to play - I am unsure if it was because I was ruining the night for them, or if they simply didn't want to make me suffer.

At that point, I turned to Crevice, and told him what I think of him - that he is an rear end in a top hat, that he ruined the game night for me; that he set down to my table, eat my food, drank my wine, and than used his superior knowledge of the game to take me out of it, eliminate me completely, forcing me to stare at the air for the next few hours. I told him he is no longer a part of my life, that I will never play with him again, and that he will never sit to the table with me again. I then threw him out of my house.

There is now a dark could over my game-group; we are silent. I will not be hosting board game nights in the foreseeable future - I no longer wish to play. I am unsure if I was in the right - I am only human, and I err, but I feel Crevice acted like a bully; that he knew I could not resist his attacks, and that I will be out of the game completely; he choose to do it anyway. It felt abusive. There were other options; we could have made any sort of alliance, he could have advanced to other territories, and so on. I suspect that in some master-form of the game, this is the correct thing to do, but I am an inexperienced player, and this was not a tournament - ruining my night was not essential to him winning. There's an etiquette we all follow, putting on kid gloves when playing with new players; he didn't do it.

Was I wrong to be angry? Am I wrong to no-longer want anything to do with him? Was he anything other than an rear end in a top hat?

Many of you will say "it's just a game", and missing the point - it's not about the game, it's about being excluded from the game, banned from my own table. Assume for a moment Crevice would have brought a 5-player game, and insisted on playing it, telling me that I cannot play, and should just go do something else for the next 2 hours. You'd understand this is an rear end in a top hat thing to do - you'd understand that excluding someone like that is terrible, and even if he really likes and enjoys the 5p game, it's not cool to exclude someone from the game in the middle of a game night, doubly so if he's the host and can't even leave.

There is no difference between that and what he did to me; he excluded me from the game, removed me from the night, and sent me to the corner, to play with my phone. He used game-mechanics to do it instead of social-dynamics, so what? It's the same thing. It's not a cool thing to do.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I think we already talked about that lunatic and if not then yeah he's fuckin nuts

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Well...

I can understand that it was a dick move he pulled, and while I never played that game, I still think if the game allows this, it is only halfway his fault. I can understand you being angry and also that you would never play the game again. And rightly so, a game in which a player can straight up be eliminated with hours to go is just not suited for friendly game nights at someone's home. Even more so when experience levels vary so much. However, straight up tossing him out was too harsh. It is hard to calm down when feeling cheated, but you should have just banned the game from your house not the player. Which doesn't mean you should not explain why you felt his behaviour was inappropriate, since you have the kiddy gloves rule. But you should have been the bigger man and just explained he violated said rule instead of berating him and throwing him out.

Plus you could have taken over coaching one of the other players to still have something to do.

Lastly, I am not surprised a game based on a story where people are only out for personal gain and go to great lengths screwing others over to straight up killing them can destroy gaming groups.
I'll note that this game is probably not a very fun experience and make sure I tell my group this up front if they ever want to play it.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man I have never heard a good story about the GoT game, and quite frankly, I don't think there are any fun games where Player Elimination is a thing.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Toshimo posted:

I'll tell you the story of what happened two nights ago, and I'd like to know what you feel about it - especially if I was in the wrong.

That is why Game of Thrones is a bad game that no one should play. Well, one of the many reasons, anyway.

On one hand, he was definitely an rear end in a top hat by taking advantage of an inexperienced player and eliminating them at the onset of an extremely long game. But well, that is one of the risks of playing Game of Thrones, the game allows (and encourages) that sort of poo poo. On the other hand, it does sound like you lost your temper and overreacted. It is, like you expected us to say, just a game.

In the end, however the experience made you feel, I very much doubt Crevice intended for things to end this way. Now, I don't know anything about this person's personality or character, but you did invite him into your home, so I assume you know and possibly are (were?) friends with him. Is he really an rear end in a top hat? Do you really think he did it out of meanness or to spite you? Is a bad time with a board game worth losing a friendship?

I can't say much without knowing your history with the guy. If you care at all about this person you should just call him, apologize for the outburst, tell him GoT is an awful, bad game you're never playing again and agree to put the rest of this incident behind you.

Bottom Liner posted:

I think we already talked about that lunatic and if not then yeah he's fuckin nuts

Or, if the guy's actually an rear end in a top hat outside games, just count it as a wash and move on. No gaming is better than bad gaming.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
It's a lovely situation as basically the mandatory play for greyjoy is to try and murder Lannister, and unless you know the fairly specific counter what happened to you is going to happen.

But if he doesn't do that he basically throws the game to the lannisters. Experienced players need to play specific houses (e.g stark) in games with newbies.

It's a terrible game, and has all the negative parts of diplomacy. Don't play it unless you are comfortable with that.

(I think the dude is a tool but you probably over reacted there a bit, but there is clearly some more to this situation so I don't know c.f. Bottom liner).

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jul 31, 2017

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Turtlicious posted:

Man I have never heard a good story about the GoT game, and quite frankly, I don't think there are any fun games where Player Elimination is a thing.

The exception imo is stuff like Skull, Coup or Love Letter, where an individual round or game is fairly quick so it's OK to sit out for between 2-5 minutes. But that's obviously a radically different context.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

The Narrator posted:

The exception imo is stuff like Skull, Coup or Love Letter, where an individual round or game is fairly quick so it's OK to sit out for between 2-5 minutes. But that's obviously a radically different context.

I'm willing to give poker and liars dice a pass as well? That said I think I might still be a bit salty about being knocked out of a friendly poker night on the first hand so like 5 years ago so maybe not.

But yeah fast play time makes player elimination fine. If you're out for the time it takes to go take a piss, grab another drink and eat a snack I do not care about player elimination.

gently caress point salad games where it is completely obvious I've lost for like 30-45 minutes before the game ends are way worse than 5 minute round player elimination games.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Speaking of player elimination, I got to play Inis last week.

At one point nearly every one of my guys were murdered, but I was still able to come back for the win.

I also played Tash Kalar with the friend who likes Exploding Kittens. He won and is thinking of picking up his own copy.

He is still excited about that drat bear baby game he backed.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

gently caress point salad games where it is completely obvious I've lost for like 30-45 minutes before the game ends are way worse than 5 minute round player elimination games.

That kind of game you can just play for your best possible score, though.

Regarding the game of AGOT: I think it has been overlooked that the two highly experienced players did all their playing online. In an online game player elimination doesn't matter because the eliminated player can just go join another game, and you don't always know the other players so you have to assume they know the best plays. They both learned their strategies in that situation, and so followed their natural playbook without considering that it was real life or that some players were new.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Jedit posted:

That kind of game you can just play for your best possible score, though.

Regarding the game of AGOT: I think it has been overlooked that the two highly experienced players did all their playing online. In an online game player elimination doesn't matter because the eliminated player can just go join another game, and you don't always know the other players so you have to assume they know the best plays. They both learned their strategies in that situation, and so followed their natural playbook without considering that it was real life or that some players were new.

"Earlier, while cooking, I overheard Crevice saying he is going to give the Lannisters a nasty surprise" makes it sound intentional to me.

It is one thing to give a seasoned opponent you consider your equal a "nasty surprise", doing that to someone new to the game just makes you a dick.

Gloating about it before hand makes you an even bigger one.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

47 glorious points in Caverna

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The guy was an rear end in a top hat and wrecked one guy's night.

Handling it poorly though, you wrecked everyone's night. Have you considered anger management?

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

Toshimo posted:

... I was the Lannisters and Crevice was the Greyjoys...

'nuff said.

Game of Thrones is supposed to be a bit backstabby, and people will need to ruin other people's day in order to win, but the Greyjoy / Lannister start is pretty terrible as far game design goes. Greyjoy have such a massive starting military power advantage over the Lannisters, that the Lannisters are forced into a very specific set of orders not to get functionally tabled. Any player who's experienced with Game of Thrones knows about this imbalance, so it's pretty rude for him to not have run you through your options before the game started.

Though maybe because you were the one explaining the rules, the others assumed you were familiar with the counter moves? Though, if that were the case, why bother attacking you?

You probably overreacted a bit though. Yeah, he was a total jerk, but it is a game about being a jerk, and also it was your other friend's suggestion at his birthday party. Just tell him he was a jerk, then cut him off from any more food, drink, the bathroom and his chair until he gives you back Lannisport and Riverrun. Put on a smile for the party, then later privately tell him simply that you thought he was being extremely rude and exclusionary. Give him a chance to reflect on his actions and apologise when he's not in fear for his life. If he stands by what he did, then yeah, feel free to sever that connection. I know that's easier said than done though.

Though I suppose in a game of diplomacy and negotiation, you turned a clear defeat into a draw using only your words, so maybe you're better at the game than you think.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Synthbuttrange posted:

The guy was an rear end in a top hat and wrecked one guy's night.

Handling it poorly though, you wrecked everyone's night. Have you considered anger management?

It's a post from Reddit, or at least that's where I first saw it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

KPC_Mammon posted:

"Earlier, while cooking, I overheard Crevice saying he is going to give the Lannisters a nasty surprise" makes it sound intentional to me.

It is one thing to give a seasoned opponent you consider your equal a "nasty surprise", doing that to someone new to the game just makes you a dick.

Gloating about it before hand makes you an even bigger one.

You didn't actually contradict anything I said there.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's a post from Reddit, or at least that's where I first saw it.

goddammit people source your quotes

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
A big part of what got me deeper into board games was reading discussions in this thread,so I just wanted to share a cool and good happy story today.

A while back, I met a woman through an online dating site. After a week or so of chatting, I found out she had an interest in board gaming although her friend group hadn't really gone deeper than Ascension and Betrayal. I offered for our first date to take her to a local board game cafe, which she accepted. We played some games and were there almost all night. I invited her to join my weekly board game night on Sundays, where we spent more time together and introduced her to bigger and deeper board games.

We got married on Thursday. Our honeymoon is going to be next week, so we decided to have a low key weekend at home to save some money for our trip, so we dusted off Mechs Vs Minions (which I bought on release and had hit the table exactly once for the tutorial mission) and decided to give it a go. We played Missions 2-8 together over the weekend, and we plan on finishing the last of it before we go on our honeymoon.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Great story, but for the sake of your marriage, don't play game of thrones!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Kashuno posted:

A big part of what got me deeper into board games was reading discussions in this thread,so I just wanted to share a cool and good happy story today.

A while back, I met a woman through an online dating site. After a week or so of chatting, I found out she had an interest in board gaming although her friend group hadn't really gone deeper than Ascension and Betrayal. I offered for our first date to take her to a local board game cafe, which she accepted. We played some games and were there almost all night. I invited her to join my weekly board game night on Sundays, where we spent more time together and introduced her to bigger and deeper board games.

We got married on Thursday. Our honeymoon is going to be next week, so we decided to have a low key weekend at home to save some money for our trip, so we dusted off Mechs Vs Minions (which I bought on release and had hit the table exactly once for the tutorial mission) and decided to give it a go. We played Missions 2-8 together over the weekend, and we plan on finishing the last of it before we go on our honeymoon.

gently caress yes. Next goonnight we'll make sure both of you can come!