Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I can't be the only person who thinks that cultural marxism sounds like an incredibly cool thing and if it were a fraction as prevalent as the people talking about it claim it is, I'd be a lot happier.

Like even the loving nazis made it sound great, hell yeah I want international communism to destroy the state, that sounds rad as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Warrior Signalling.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

toanoradian posted:

I believe Total Biscuit sorta 'made up' with a mod, or a former mod, of Let's Play, whose name escapes me at the moment.

He's been on the Retsupurae podcast once or twice, I think before GamerGate. Slowbeef probably never gave much of a poo poo about that dumb post, if he ever read it in the first place.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

aint watching retsupurae now that i know that.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
One of the main things I remember about TB was him kicking up a huge stink about quitting Blizzard games FOREVA because Blizz nerfed a bunch of dungeons in WoW that by that point were old content. TB posted an hour long video where he swore off Blizzard forever and made the usual stink about THE CASUALS RUINING GAMES.

Only for it to be revealed by a member of TB's guild that the dude hadn't even completed the raid content he said was ruined by said nerfing and had to be carried through stuff so he could get footage for his channel.

And then of course TB came crawling back to Blizzard when casting SC2 got big and he wanted in on that lucrative bandwagon.

Basically just cemented just how much of a giant pissbaby splatpants he was in my mind.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

wow was always the game for "casuals" so it was funny people threw fits like that.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

The lowtax tb video is funny. That's as much as I know about tb

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
My only real memory or impression of TB was from a few years back, before his diagnosis, that he was extremely lovely at all the games he kept getting exclusive previews for.

Specifically a preview of aircraft in Planetside 2 that was just him talking about visual customization options while crashing on takeoff over and over.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

The lowtax tb video is funny

The what now?

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6NvGRdkqX8

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

E: should read the whole thread before posting

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

fallenturtle posted:

Makes me think of this article I just read about the woke misogynist.
http://splinternews.com/meet-the-woke-misogynist-1793859082

quote:

But even though Maya’s was the best-case scenario, it still left her feeling depressed. “If men who say they’re feminist aren’t, then what are the men who don’t say it?” she said. “The solution is to just accept that all men are going to have internalized misogyny. It’s always going to be there. We just have to determine to what extent.”

We are all guilty of thought crimes just based on our gender

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

If you're not prepared to confront fact that yeah, you probably do have internalised misogyny as a man in modern culture, then maybe you're a little too sensitive for adult discussions to take place around you.

We have to give a name for thoughts which, as hurtful as it is to hear it expressed in relation to one self, are racist, misogynistic, or otherwise bigoted.

The funny thing is that of all the things you needed to comment on, the take away was somehow not earned after self labeled male feminists doing poo poo like:

quote:

After a few minutes in his bedroom, it was clear it was not fine. We started kissing and I felt mildly turned on. Then I didn’t. I told Bob I had to go, but he pressed. Coquettishly, quietly, I said, “Stop.” He pressed more. Then I said, “No, really, stop.” When I faced away from him to jiggle my bra back in place, he came up behind me and tried yet again. At one point, he pushed me onto his bed and said, “Wait a minute, I still haven’t made you come.”

...followed by a tone deaf text message the next day...

quote:

Date redo. I can set my table up and gift you a mock massage! With def clear boundaries. ;) or i make you dinner or a yummy smoothie.

This is internalised misogyny at work. Sure, he didn't push it further, but the fact that a supposedly male feminist needs to be told no three times, combined with physical escalations between each clear assertion of boundaries, on a first date no less, is a clear sign that he might talk a good game but he just doesn't 'get it'.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Groovelord Neato posted:

aint watching retsupurae now that i know that.

Last I saw of them they were doing a paid deal for some lovely minecraft clone.

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails

I assume you're a dude. We shouldn't be so delicate so as to completely discount the notion that we may have been affected by the culture we grew up in in some ways that might not be entirely positive. It's not like we're being called a bad person because of the gender we were born with - that would be loving stupid. Just that there might be blind spots in the way we view ourselves that could stand some introspective consideration. It could be an interesting conversation but unfortunately there is so much entirely reflexive "no fuk u this is misandry" overreaction to stories like the one in the article.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Of course actions and beliefs are conditioned by culture. Where else would they come from? I don't even think the rationals claim otherwise.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm man enough to deal with having internalized misogyny :v:

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

you couldn't self own yourself harder if that's your take away

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean more seriously it's a bit weird to me that people take such umbrage with the idea that they don't have 100% perfect control of how they are perceived.

Welcome to the world, there's lots of people who get that way more often than you do and for way less good reasons!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

I mean more seriously it's a bit weird to me that people take such umbrage with the idea that they don't have 100% perfect control of how they are perceived.

Welcome to the world, there's lots of people who get that way more often than you do and for way less good reasons!

But I'm normal! (Male, white)

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails

business hammocks posted:

Of course actions and beliefs are conditioned by culture. Where else would they come from? I don't even think the rationals claim otherwise.

You'd hope, but I've seen some clear indications from Sargon et al that we're basically all free-thinking beings that are independent of cultural influences. I recall from a Destiny debate, I think it was, where he seemed to open up to the idea that culture might have some influence but then circled back to it all boiling down to people making poor decisions with culture having a minimal role in shaping how we act.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

murphyslaw posted:

You'd hope, but I've seen some clear indications from Sargon et al that we're basically all free-thinking beings that are independent of cultural influences. I recall from a Destiny debate, I think it was, where he seemed to open up to the idea that culture might have some influence but then circled back to it all boiling down to people making poor decisions with culture having a minimal role in shaping how we act.
Yet they hate foreigners due to their supposedly incompatible culture.

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails
Intellectual honesty and logical consistency is a scarce resource in this post-fact wasteland, Stalker.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

Forgall posted:

I think that people like Sargon know that someone's culture and upbringing play a major part in shaping their patterns of thinking and formulating opinions... It's just that they think people are dumb assholes for letting that influence them. They're not Enlightened and Objective and Correct, like me!

It's essentially a South Park-esque exaggeration of what people think "identity politics" is - if anything from someone's life experiences or cultural identity affects any of their opinions or actions, they're big stupid idiot dummies and letting emotions cloud their judgment.

It's part of their "purely logical" schtick - any outside influence is automatically bad, because it interferes with the Calm Rational Actor within all of us.

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

I think that people like Sargon know that someone's culture and upbringing play a major part in shaping their patterns of thinking and formulating opinions... It's just that they think people are dumb assholes for letting that influence them. They're not Enlightened and Objective and Correct, like me!

It's essentially a South Park-esque exaggeration of what people think "identity politics" is - if anything from someone's life experiences or cultural identity affects any of their opinions or actions, they're big stupid idiot dummies and letting emotions cloud their judgment.

It's part of their "purely logical" schtick - any outside influence is automatically bad, because it interferes with the Calm Rational Actor within all of us.

I think it's also a convenient blindness, because otherwise they'd have to countenance the possibility of political or cultural changes to improve the situation, which is anathema to a ~classic liberal~.

For them, the answer to "why are disproportionate numbers of young black men in prison?" ends with "because young black men are deciding to commit more crimes". Any further discussions of poverty and structural racism would disintegrate their paper-thin philosophy.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Forgall posted:

that's because sargon et al aren't part of a "culture" they are individuals. unlike the heathen horde.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

AttitudeAdjuster posted:

I think it's also a convenient blindness, because otherwise they'd have to countenance the possibility of political or cultural changes to improve the situation, which is anathema to a ~classic liberal~.

For them, the answer to "why are disproportionate numbers of young black men in prison?" ends with "because young black men are deciding to commit more crimes". Any further discussions of poverty and structural racism would disintegrate their paper-thin philosophy.

The irony of the alt-right is that they're perfect neoliberals

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I love how Youtube Intellectuals so frequently lambast religion for being propped up on faith alone, yet they frequently fellate AnCap/Objectivist philosophies the same way. These garbage-tier philosophies are frequently justified through blatantly antiscientific methods of study such as praxeology. Furthermore, both philosophies are justified through a particularly tortured, antiquated notion of 'volition/free will'. 'Buck stopping personal responsibility' for ones' choices/actions ostensibly requires a 'will' that is completely unbound by the influences of physics, chemistry, biology, psychology, and culture- i.e., at any point in time when you made a choice, you could have made another choice, even an unlearned one. This is clearly impossible without rejecting determinism and embracing dualistic interpretations of the mind/body. To adapt a quote from Morty Sanchez, 'The just sounds like faith with more steps'.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

anybody who is right wing's entire worldview is founded on faith. there is no way to defend conservative ideology using evidence or logic as reality has a "left wing" bias. it's the great irony of the "rationals".

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
But lower taxes helps the economy, the Austrian school says so! You can't use empiricism to make inferences about group behaviour and best practices in an economy.

Now, let me tell you why feminism/critical theory/sociology/etc. is unscientific and can't be used to make inferences about culture...

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

JVNO posted:

I love how Youtube Intellectuals so frequently lambast religion for being propped up on faith alone, yet they frequently fellate AnCap/Objectivist philosophies the same way. These garbage-tier philosophies are frequently justified through blatantly antiscientific methods of study such as praxeology.

No, see, praexeology is logically prior to the scientific method. The latter relies on the former, so if they disagree, it is science that is wrong. This is an actual argument made by Ludwig von Mises, discoverer and founder of the Church of Austrian Science.

Groovelord Neato posted:

anybody who is right wing's entire worldview is founded on faith. there is no way to defend conservative ideology using evidence or logic as reality has a "left wing" bias. it's the great irony of the "rationals".

Any system that involves a judgment of "good or bad" will necessarily rely on some kind of blind-faith judgment of what those terms mean, since there aren't really "morality particles" for us to observe and learn about. A lot of people run into the problem of not really examining what their judgments stem from, but a lot of conservatives run into the extra problem of outright lying about it.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
Internet atheists almost never know anything about religion, especially non-Abrahamic belief systems. From my experience, they believe all religious people are either southern baptists or muslims.

Like, it's poo poo that you could learn in the most basic World Religions course or a couple of books, but that doesn't get as many subscribers as bland appeals to rationality.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Low Desert Punk posted:

Internet atheists almost never know anything about religion, especially non-Abrahamic belief systems. From my experience, they believe all religious people are either southern baptists or muslims.

Like, it's poo poo that you could learn in the most basic World Religions course or a couple of books, but that doesn't get as many subscribers as bland appeals to rationality.

To be honest though, its not the wishy washy ones that are threatening your freedumz or life.
And you don't get much clicks saying religion X are not doing anything really at the moment.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

happyhippy posted:

To be honest though, its not the wishy washy ones that are threatening your freedumz or life.
And you don't get much clicks saying religion X are not doing anything really at the moment.

I meant more that a lot of the "checkmate, christians :smug: " arguments they use have already had sometimes hundreds of years of scholarship on both sides, something they would know if they did any basic research into what they're talking about.

I still see people on Reddit trot out the "the Bible was written by people, not God" thing, like that hasn't been a major cornerstone in internal church debate and academia for over a thousand years

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Low Desert Punk posted:

I was lucky growing up, since I went to Sunday School in a UU church. We learned about a different religion every week!

Our Christianity lesson consisted of watching Jesus Christ Superstar

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Yep. That's exactly what her article means and not the idea that by living in a specific gender-stratified culture, one gender is going to absorb that culture in a very specific and negative way (and the other will absorb it in a different and also negative way). But seriously, her interpretation doesn't mean that all men are irredeemably committing thought crimes, it's that men who grow up in a patriarchal culture will probably absorb and internalize that culture in specific ways. Incidentally, feminists note that women also absorb terrible lessons from patriarchal culture, but in different forms and with different consequences. Ultimately, neither gender can actually say that they are free from patriarchal influences if they grew up in a patriarchal society.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Low Desert Punk posted:

I meant more that a lot of the "checkmate, christians :smug: " arguments they use have already had sometimes hundreds of years of scholarship on both sides, something they would know if they did any basic research into what they're talking about.

Some of them discard theology altogether. It's all based on a book of lies, clearly the whole field of thought is a waste of money and time.

I do wonder if discussions of atheism is a subsection of theology or if it is instead a sort of "anti-theology".

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Cenk Uygur is debating Ben Shapiro live right now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIAyudtNicY

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I'm so glad we're living the literal nazi-resurgence timeline.

• Locked thread