Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Hazdoc posted:

The Gallant doesn't seem much stronger than any other of the good picks at 6. Its got 2nd best concealment and interesting torps, but the guns are... kinda anemic, to be honest. Its a good option if you're fond of outspotting stuff, but it won't torp like a Fubuki (or even a Hatsu), and it won't gun like an Anshan or Shinonome. A truer hybrid than the Farragut or Gaede, essentially.

I do better with the torps on Galant just because I'm bad at regular torps.

Basically the ability to fire a couple off and wait for the target to dodge and then give 6 more torps they can't dodge makes a huge difference to the number of my torps that connect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Just weekend things.jpg

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jul 31, 2017

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Yeah I'm feeling pretty weekended.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
In a game where it becomes apparent that the enemy team's entire blob of battleships is pushing through the north east, our Saipan... just sits exactly where he spawned, in the south east.

"Help him!" his platoonmate howled.

Why do so many carriers just sit there and wait for death

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

In a game where it becomes apparent that the enemy team's entire blob of battleships is pushing through the north east, our Saipan... just sits exactly where he spawned, in the south east.

"Help him!" his platoonmate howled.

Why do so many carriers just sit there and wait for death

"It's so slow!!!"

Start moving sooner then rear end in a top hat. Had someone complain when their Bogue got hosed by a DD on a game that we didn't defend him. Dude spawned just south of the channel on Faultlines and the enemy team won the skirmish in there. If he'd started moving in the first minute of the game he'd be safe.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
A lot of the carriers can actually kind of get up and get moving. It's just that all of them wait until every hick in the trailer park is shooting them in the rear end with a BB gun until they decide maybe they ought to move.

The funny thing is that if you're a tier 8+ BB with a spot plane, you have a good chance of putting shots through a CV just chilling out in his spawn. Their entire gimmick is that they can strike anywhere on the map without LOS but they keep putting themselves in gun range.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

CitizenKain posted:

"It's so slow!!!"

Start moving sooner then rear end in a top hat. Had someone complain when their Bogue got hosed by a DD on a game that we didn't defend him. Dude spawned just south of the channel on Faultlines and the enemy team won the skirmish in there. If he'd started moving in the first minute of the game he'd be safe.

Not to be unkind, but Langley and Bogue actually are extremely vulnerable to that, because they are the slowest ships in the game (Langley makes 15 kts, Bogue 16.5).

Not that this particular person wasn't at fault, but I've definitely run into games where I've tried to follow some portion of the team, only for them to reverse direction and be utterly incapable of reversing course in a timely matter as well. Hell, I've tried to shadow teams that all lemming in the same direction only to still get caught because Bogue is literally incapable of keeping up with them. IJN CVs in general, along with Independence onwards for US CVs, are capable of decent speeds and definitely have full capabilities to do what you're talking about, but Langley and Bogue specifically actually do need the team to pay at least some attention to them.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Lord Koth posted:

Not to be unkind, but Langley and Bogue actually are extremely vulnerable to that, because they are the slowest ships in the game (Langley makes 15 kts, Bogue 16.5).

Not that this particular person wasn't at fault, but I've definitely run into games where I've tried to follow some portion of the team, only for them to reverse direction and be utterly incapable of reversing course in a timely matter as well. Hell, I've tried to shadow teams that all lemming in the same direction only to still get caught because Bogue is literally incapable of keeping up with them. IJN CVs in general, along with Independence onwards for US CVs, are capable of decent speeds and definitely have full capabilities to do what you're talking about, but Langley and Bogue specifically actually do need the team to pay at least some attention to them.

Yea, they are dogshit slow. But if you have 5 minutes to move, you can move. This guy didn't start moving until the DD was in torp range. If he had made it close to the middle, he would have been saved.
Its a single click at the start of the match.

Mauzeraut
Aug 15, 2005

Ka-BEWWWWM!
So I just got the Des Moines, my first T10 ship. Took me a long time because Baltimore, while a good ship, felt like a bit of a slog.

Hooooly poo poo did I underestimate how different they are. She's got a fire rate that's almost the same as Atlanta. With Baltimore caliber guns.

Atlanta fire rate with loving Baltimore caliber guns you guys... to say nothing for the AA and radar duration.

Pardon me. :circlefap:

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Congratulation on the T10 !

Speaking of the Des Moines, is it a fun ship ? it seems most people play it sitting behind an island and mortaring stuff...

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I feel like it has enough concealment that if it can push it can make life very interesting for those pesky RN cruisers. US AP is nuts.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Eh, US AP is hardly needed for dealing with RN cruisers, even at the top tiers. Unlike all the other cruiser lines even their bow armor tops out at only16mm (as opposed to 25mm for all other lines), which means 203mm shells overmatch from any angle, to speak nothing of the terrible armor they have in general. Or the absolutely enormous citadels on Neptune/Minotaur. Any other cruiser that manages to get anything even approaching a side shot on one is probably going to erase it if they aim right.

Now the Radar on Des Moines on the other hand, that's certainly helpful against them. Though sometimes jackasses are running stupid divisions with them - got a dual Minotaur + Moskva division about a week ago that just camped behind a somewhat central island in an Epicenter game. Thankfully the rest of their team folded, plus one of the Minotaurs eventually drifted a bit too far forward.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jul 31, 2017

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
How... how does one perform so poorly as to live to the end of the match and earn only 32 {thirty-two!} base XP on the winning side? :stonk:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Darkrenown posted:

How... how does one perform so poorly as to live to the end of the match and earn only 32 {thirty-two!} base XP on the winning side? :stonk:

Could have gotten caught in the endless load screen bug, and recorded damage (but no kills) to wayward Essex planes while functionally afk

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
It should also be mentioned that autopilot runs the ship at 3/4th speed. I'm pretty sure a lot of cv players don't realize they are slow because of that.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

JuffoWup posted:

It should also be mentioned that autopilot runs the ship at 3/4th speed. I'm pretty sure a lot of cv players don't realize they are slow because of that.

Isn't it only 1/2 speed? I'm at tier 7 in both trees, so I haven't driven either in months because gently caress the Saipan

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
Whoa, played a game with the Pensacola and... It's not bad!

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

JuffoWup posted:

Can you not just speed up on Auto, or do you mean it's 3/4 of 3/4 ahead etc?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
It's 1/2 speed unless it changes per CV or something. And you can speed up normally, but that requires knowing how to press "w", so it is beyond half the player base.

Two games in a row today I have been playing my Kaiser and been torped by my own team. The combination of low tier and bonus XP special is a painful one :(

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I didn't play at all this weekend and I'm glad of it.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

I get consistently great games in the weekend. Sure, playing in a division helps.

One thing though: is there a way, with Aslain mod, to show the last spotted position of an enemy ship? I see it in some videos but I can't seem to find it.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

That's a map setting, iirc.
Little cogs on the top right of your minimap.

Or maybe it's in the options once you enable the alternative UI.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

What, I played over 3k games and never found out about it? :gonk:

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Cippalippus posted:

It's you.
You are pubbie.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Cippalippus posted:

Up until a few patches ago it was a mod, but it was one of the mods that was so popular with players (along with the smoke counter) that they hard coded it into the game.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
They probably did this a while ago and I'm just figuring it out because I took a 5 month battle botes break, but when did they normalize Tirpitz's Secondaries?

Now that I know her secondaries are as good as Bismarck's, I might sell my Bismarck. I mean the sonar is nice, but I am constantly in need of credits...

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Heartcatch posted:

I didn't play at all this weekend and I'm glad of it.

I had 3 100k+ losses in less than an hour last night as a tier 8 in a tier 10 games. You made the right decision.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

ZombieLenin posted:

They probably did this a while ago and I'm just figuring it out because I took a 5 month battle botes break, but when did they normalize Tirpitz's Secondaries?

Now that I know her secondaries are as good as Bismarck's, I might sell my Bismarck. I mean the sonar is nice, but I am constantly in need of credits...

A few patches ago. They also very recently nerfed the fire chance on secondaries.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

August calendar announced. Conqueror will have 457mm guns, or 18 inches guns if you're into bloody imperial system.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Cippalippus posted:

August calendar announced. Conqueror will have 457mm guns, or 18 inches guns if you're into bloody imperial system.

Probably 190s turret traverse time. Roll the dice at the beginning of the match to point your guns in 1 direction. Delete everything you manage to train your guns on. 50% detonation chance for DDs when shot. :haw:

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Cippalippus posted:

A few patches ago. They also very recently nerfed the fire chance on secondaries.

Yeah, I saw this. In practice though I am not seeing that much of a difference.

Cippalippus posted:

And Yamato stays on top. I mean I get there are a lot of Yamato fanbois out there, but there were a number of historical paper designs using larger caliber guns.

It seems silly in some sense for Wargaming to freeze the highest gun caliber in game to Yamato. Then again, none of this poo poo is really "accurate" to historical ship performance profiles anything.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Are the C hulls on tier 5-8 US DDs worth getting? Unless there's something going on the numbers don't tell me, giving up a gun for a small AA increase seems iffy.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

bloom posted:

Are the C hulls on tier 5-8 US DDs worth getting? Unless there's something going on the numbers don't tell me, giving up a gun for a small AA increase seems iffy.

Can you use defensive fire on the B hull?

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

wdarkk posted:

Can you use defensive fire on the B hull?

I mean, being able to use defensive fire on top of lame destroyer AA at the cost of a turret seems so situational that it borders on useless.

At least in my brain.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

ZombieLenin posted:

I mean, being able to use defensive fire on top of lame destroyer AA at the cost of a turret seems so situational that it borders on useless.

At least in my brain.

Well, yeah probably. It would be a difference though.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Mauzeraut posted:

So I just got the Des Moines, my first T10 ship. Took me a long time because Baltimore, while a good ship, felt like a bit of a slog.

Hooooly poo poo did I underestimate how different they are. She's got a fire rate that's almost the same as Atlanta. With Baltimore caliber guns.

Atlanta fire rate with loving Baltimore caliber guns you guys... to say nothing for the AA and radar duration.

Pardon me. :circlefap:

Congrats. I love the Des Moines; it's probably my favorite ship. At least you didn't have to play old Baltimore with it's 13 second reload. Be careful, the Baltimore has kind of trollish armor that when angled can bounce a fair amount of stuff. DM is a fair amount squishier. Nothing is more painful than getting citadeled through the stern by some random BB shot. It's tough for me, because I can be stupidly aggressive, going into to support a DD w/ Radar and realizing, the whole red team is at the cap we're contesting. Once you survive to mid game and the BB's are thinned out a bit, you can really shine in a DM. I doing things like getting four citadels in one volley on a Moskva or charging a Zao.

Also, I whaled it up over the weekend and bought a Missouri. I was using this season's ranked to train up Steven Seagal as my US BB captain with his extra turret rotation skills. He's now at 12 points which is good enough for high tier play, or at least my averagish play. Boy does that thing print XP and credits. I lucked out and won my double with an almost 200k damage game and walked away with over 1.2 million credits after all costs and deductions.

For ranked, I made Rank 8 and I think it's time to call this season quits. It was a very meh season for me. I scored a higher rank than last season , but the ships were less fun to play. The small team size made cruisers unfun. You were too easily focused and one mistake or look of disfavor by the powers that rng could mean getting killed quickly. DD's seemed way too dependent on the rest of the team making use of your spotting and a team full of potatoes could make for a painful match. BB play wasn't terrible, but if your team's DD yolo'd and died at the beginning of the map or you were saddled with the team that had an Aoba and Nuremburg vs. a Leander and Cleveland, it could make for a painful match. I'm not nearly good enough at this game to carry consistently, my goal being "do more than my share"

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

paper designs

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I vaguely remember Nicholas having DF as an option(this was a couple of years ago though). Haven't unlocked C on my Farragut so idk if that's the case.

Either way I don't think I'm trading a gun and speed boost for DF and a slightly improved chance to shoot down the eternal cloud of fighters above me.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

bloom posted:

You get access to the defensive AA fire consumable with those hulls. For tiers 5 to 7 it's definitely not worth it, but for the Benson it's kiiiiinda worth considering because not only does it have decent (for a DD) AA DPS on its 5km long range aura so it actually shoots down planes if you press the button, it also regularly sees Taihos and Hakuryus (and all the T8 premium CV's have increased CV population at T8 as well, but they're not as threatening). The thing is, if you run into a good Taiho or Hakuryu and he goes after you (and it's likely he will) and you don't have defensive fire, you will take at least two torpedo hits and it's quite likely that you'll just die. I think though that the benefit you get from the 5th turret outweighs being able to prevent that from happening, because it's pretty rare.

On the Fletcher and Gearing I run DF over speed boost, no ifs or buts. I had a game in the Fletcher where I got like 25 aircraft kills recently because an Enterprise kept going after both me and people I happened to be near.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jul 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

TheFluff posted:

You get access to the defensive AA fire consumable with those hulls. For tiers 5 to 7 it's definitely not worth it, but for the Benson it's kiiiiinda worth considering because not only does it have decent (for a DD) AA DPS on its 5km long range aura so it actually shoots down planes if you press the button, it also regularly sees Taihos and Hakuryus (and all the T8 premium CV's have increased CV population at T8 as well, but they're not as threatening). The thing is, if you run into a good Taiho or Hakuryu and he goes after you (and it's likely he will) and you don't have defensive fire, you will take at least two torpedo hits and it's quite likely that you'll just die. I think though that the benefit you get from the 5th turret outweighs being able to prevent that from happening, because it's pretty rare.

On the Fletcher and Gearing I run DF over speed boost, no ifs or buts. I had a game in the Fletcher where I got like 25 aircraft kills recently because an Enterprise kept going after both me and people I happened to be near.

Yep, at the top tiers you run into a lot of CVs with both the knowledge that a DD is usually a free kill and the knowledge of how to gently caress you up. I've see an awful lot of DDs go down to either a train of bombers or a cross torp drop, it's absolutely worth taking DF to make sure that poo poo doesn't happen. It's nice to be able to actually shoot down some fighters shadowing you on occasion, too!