Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

FrantzX posted:

So, what are the odds that everyone here, except for Kevin, and maybe Ries, (and Gilbert?) are just as illusionary as the rest of Phantasma?

50/50 odds between 'oh Kevin what do you mean we all got stuck in some weird garden who's your cute friend oh hello Ries' IT WAS ALL A DREAM and 'man Kevin I don't know whether I should be honored or afraid that I got mind-ported into your personal counseling hell there' if they do remember it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016
The tree's supposed to have monster ingredients stocked as of this point (as one of the featured made by the PSP version). As you can see, however, they... weren't.

Looking forward to Star Door #8. I really loved how it ended.

NotASmartMan
Jul 28, 2017
I noticed this LP a little bit ago but then stuff happened and I couldn't keep following. When I came back to it, I needed a forum account to see the thread.

Anyways, I just came here off of playing other trails games in preparation for Cold Steel on PC. Man, I forgot how charming the Sky cast was in comparison to Cold Steel's, maybe down to localisation(?). And looking at this makes me feel better about not continuing with the leaked Zero translation. It's understandable (mostly), but definitely lacks character compared to XSEED's work. Here's hoping the better fan translation has some at least.

And the character interactions. Like the bit with Estelle and Joshua in the latest update definitely foreshadows that they knew who Scharzritter was all along . And bit where Renne mentions her plushies in her room makes me wonder where the Enforcers live? Like does Ouroboros HQ have a little dorm, where they get together, spar, laugh at Gilbert, solve Bleublanc's riddles etc?

Glad I remembered about this LP just as we're getting to the good bits. Some of my favourite doors are coming up too

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

NotASmartMan posted:

I noticed this LP a little bit ago but then stuff happened and I couldn't keep following. When I came back to it, I needed a forum account to see the thread.

Anyways, I just came here off of playing other trails games in preparation for Cold Steel on PC. Man, I forgot how charming the Sky cast was in comparison to Cold Steel's, maybe down to localisation(?). And looking at this makes me feel better about not continuing with the leaked Zero translation. It's understandable (mostly), but definitely lacks character compared to XSEED's work. Here's hoping the better fan translation has some at least.

And the character interactions. Like the bit with Estelle and Joshua in the latest update definitely foreshadows that they knew who Scharzritter was all along . And bit where Renne mentions her plushies in her room makes me wonder where the Enforcers live? Like does Ouroboros HQ have a little dorm, where they get together, spar, laugh at Gilbert, solve Bleublanc's riddles etc?

Glad I remembered about this LP just as we're getting to the good bits. Some of my favourite doors are coming up too

To be fair, if you don't know who the Schwarzritter is by now, you just... haven't been paying attention to any of the games. :v:

NotASmartMan
Jul 28, 2017
It's obvious who it is, but it's nice to know the characters haven't been hit by JRPG stupidity and knew all along.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

introducing: the actual protagonist of all three Trails series

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 30, 2017

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Hooboy, this door. Possibly the best one in the game. (not even counting the awesome quartz with the best elemental values of a single piece of quartz) It's essentially Trails of Cold Steel, Chapter -1. Sweet Aidios, the foreshadowing.

It also shines a new light on several characters. Ambassador Crainagh, who's revealed to be much more open-minded than his introduction in SC suggested and who seems to be one of the few neutral nobles in Erebonia, together with the Schwarzers and the Arseids. Lechter, who's revealed to have been a spy for Osborne all this time and whose slacker act was tailored together like a fine suit. (always beware the lazy ones) And Olivier, whose silliness act allowed him to pretty much always be in control of the situation in the earlier games being outplayed 2 turns into the chess match and spending nearly the entire remainder of the door on the back foot. It says something that when Osborne casually walks in to give Olivier his "I know what you're doing, I know what you'll be doing next and I'll know what you'll be doing before you know you'll be doing it"-schtick, even Cassius has a minor "Oh crap" moment. It really is a magnificant introduction to a great Trails villain.

And then there's the continuation of the plotline between Kloe and Lechter.

Finally, there's "The Final Choice" which is f*cking epic and is probably one of my favourite melodies in any Trails game. They beautifully bring it back at a later part of the series too.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
And with that, the groundwork for Trails of Cold Steel is officially laid.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
It's amazing how much stuff that plays a role in Cold Steel is first mentioned here. The Noble Faction and their private armies, the reforms, Osborne's sneaky annexation methods, the Ironbloods, the Railways as a means of extending influence, the class conflict and Olivier planning to build a foothold in his homeland.

NotASmartMan
Jul 28, 2017
One of the best doors. Osbourne is terrifying for how casually he taks Olivier's plotting, like he's not really a threat. It's a shame we don't see as much of the Olivier who'll shoot roses from airship in Cold Steel, where he has to be a bit more serious.

Wonder if Cassius ever tried rooting out the Imperial spies, in between now and Cold Steel?

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
That guy definitely knows something about destabilization campaigns...

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

It was quite jarring hearing The Final Choice all of a sudden and realizing that it was actually used in this game first. Its usage in Cold Steel was similarly grandiose.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
I was never clear on one point - is Mueller Olivier's assigned bodyguard, an old friend, a co-conspirator, or what? Originally speaking, I mean - at this point I figure at least the first and last are true.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

vdate posted:

I was never clear on one point - is Mueller Olivier's assigned bodyguard, an old friend, a co-conspirator, or what? Originally speaking, I mean - at this point I figure at least the first and last are true.

The Vander family are the imperial bodyguards. So he was assigned to keep Olivier out of harms way and they knew it each since they were children I believe.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
I think the last images in that update are not loading for some reason.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

vdate posted:

I was never clear on one point - is Mueller Olivier's assigned bodyguard, an old friend, a co-conspirator, or what?

Short answer: yes. Long answer:

cokerpilot posted:

I think the last images in that update are not loading for some reason.

Looks like baldurk is adjusting things. We'll just have to give it some time.

e: should be fixed now

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jul 31, 2017

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

Really Pants posted:

...I'm happy for you, Kloe. Knowing the pain of lost love's what makes a girl blossom, in my humble opinion.

"I killed a giant robot with a sword you dipshit. I beat up an omnipotent god until it went back to being an archaeologist. What are you even doing. Jesus."

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Even Ouroboros is just a convenient tool to this guy? Good lord.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

That's what he thinks.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
It's also what they thought of him for a while.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

BearDrivingTruck posted:

It's also what they thought of him for a while.

I believe that's what passes for 'mutually beneficial relationship' in the kinds of games that Osborne is playing.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe it's the angle, but Osbourne's artwork for this game just feels...off to me. He definitely looks better in Cold Steel with the 3D models; here, he looks like his face is being squished to one side.

Also, Olivier. :allears: Of course he'd go all out just for a drive-by taunting.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
It's the huge snoz. It's drawn in a different style than pretty much everyone else which makes him sort of stick out.

More than he already does, I mean.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

EponymousMrYar posted:

It's the huge snoz. It's drawn in a different style than pretty much everyone else which makes him sort of stick out.

More than he already does, I mean.

kinda looks weird even in his cold steel art, that game just doesn't use character portriats

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I'm going to need some assistance selecting parties for this chapter, because the sixth plane's monuments have trials and the monuments' trials have guardians...guardians that may or may not be familiar.

The first trial has two groups of guardians lying in wait. Their identities are secret, but I've had a professional artist mock up their silhouettes at great expense.

Personally I'd recommend Agate for the first group, and Julia for the second.

Make your decisions.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jul 31, 2017

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Agate and Estelle for the first one, then Julia and Renne for number 2.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Yeah, Gorgon Arrow is just a pure 100% petrification. It's really convenient for dealing with annoying adds in a boss fight, assuming you can line up Kevin properly. It also has some funny side effects. In the Cold Steel games, the petrification ailment simply prevents a combattant from acting and when struck has a 30% chance of hitting the target with an instant death attack, which can be resisted. (some monsters are vulnerable to petrification but not instant death, meaning that even if petrify lands, you still need to wittle down their HP by normal means) In the Sky games, whenever a petrified target takes damage, the damage is changed to be exactly equal to their current HP. That means if you can petrify a target with lots of HP and see Olivier and Josette doing 5-digit damage with their basic attacks. Or you could petrify a target that's nearly dead, leaving it with less than 10 hitpoints, have Estelle or Richard throw out their strongest S-craft on it and watch it do single-digit damage.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

The only correct combinations.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

That makes sense.

NotASmartMan
Jul 28, 2017
Anyone know if partial resistance was a thing in Sky games like they were in Cold Steel?

Anyway, Agate and Estelle for the first. Because having Renne for the second part is too mage heavy for my liking, I'm going to say Julia and Mueller. I'd like to think he'd like to test himself against mysterious glasses man.

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016

NotASmartMan posted:

Anyone know if partial resistance was a thing in Sky games like they were in Cold Steel?

Anyway, Agate and Estelle for the first. Because having Renne for the second part is too mage heavy for my liking, I'm going to say Julia and Mueller. I'd like to think he'd like to test himself against mysterious glasses man.

Partial resistance is something introduced in CS. The Sky games don't have them, nor do the Crossbell duology.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
No, in the Sky games, something was either immune to an ailment or fell victim to it 100% of the time. (assuming the attack itself had a 100% infliction chance)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I vote LPer's choice.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Really Pants posted:

introducing: the actual protagonist of all three Trails series

Bit late for this, but:
Olivier has balls of pure zemurian ore. "What, you have outmaneuvered me at every turn? Have a rose petal shower you villainous cur, and challenge accepted".
As most* Ironbloods, dammit I hate Lechter. He's similar to Bleublanc in some ways, in that they're horribly evil people that would gladly let the world burn to enjoy the pretty flames, hiding their ugliness behind a façade. A pity Kloe can't really call him on it.

*I'm mostly excluding Millum on the Joshua principle: she's a child soldier and I hope she gets some deprogramming.

As for the parties, Agate and Estelle and Julia and Renne afterwards looks good.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Really Pants posted:

I'm going to need some assistance selecting parties for this chapter, because the sixth plane's monuments have trials and the monuments' trials have guardians...guardians that may or may not be familiar.

Agate, then Julia for the second.

Oh boy, my favorite part is coming up. :allears:

Edit: I obviously don't remember the rules of this part all that well. :downs:

Epsilon Moonshade fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Aug 1, 2017

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I think Kloe is required for all of them?

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
For that particular area she is.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I'm not much of a chef, but I would've thought that a recipe for tomato fondue would involve tomatoes. Learn something every day, I guess.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
The Monochrome Schoolhouse is just kind of a slog, but the Old Schoolhouse part is great and I remember that 50K mira door being pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
At least the illusory person knowing they aren't real and being fine with it has precedence. Estelle's mom in the dream in SC, Celeste in this game... it's a consistent thing.

• Locked thread