Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Cyrano4747 posted:

As far as militaries were concerned left handedness was something to be trained out of people at least as far as things like weapons training went through WW2 at least. Not sure when they stopped caring so much. Old military weapons aren't exactly lefty friendly.

The B-24 Liberator bomber was an exception. The pilot's control stick was arranged so it was primarily moved by the muscles of the left arm. There were a lot of southpaw Liberator pilots, my grandfather included.

At least, that's the anecdote I've been told.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jul 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Cyrano4747 posted:

As far as militaries were concerned left handedness was something to be trained out of people at least as far as things like weapons training went through WW2 at least. Not sure when they stopped caring so much. Old military weapons aren't exactly lefty friendly.

From talking to my friend who was in the military in the late 80's they just gave you a right-handed weapon and told you to deal with it. They didn't try to beat it out of him but they also didn't accomadate him either. He bought a rifle a few months ago and was incredibly happy that there was an easy way to switch out the bolt for lefty. No more burns on his arm from the ejecting brass.

Now that I'm a lefty when firing rifles I get why it's a big deal. Burns from ejecting brass are no joke.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

these dudes owned and i wish i could have hung out with them. This is a painting of Don Francisco de Arobe and his sons Pedro and Domingo (ages 56, 22, and 18). They were cimarrones, African slaves who escaped off Spanish boats off the shores of the new world and became caciques of indigenous communities and were therefore considered free. Note the ponchos worn over (?) European style clothing.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jul 30, 2017

Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013

limp_cheese posted:

Now that I'm a lefty when firing rifles I get why it's a big deal. Burns from ejecting brass are no joke.

I've just remembered some navy people telling me that they practise holding the gun both ways, but they would only do it the right handed way when the Drill Sergeant watches, because that's the only one they're meant to practise.

Would said escaped slaves have assimilated into the Native American communities? Joining Warrior Societies in the case of Plains Indians and the equivalent across the different nations?

Hazzard fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jul 30, 2017

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Hazzard posted:

Would said escaped slaves have assimilated into the Native American communities? Joining Warrior Societies in the case of Plains Indians and the equivalent across the different nations?
these guys ended up assimilating (that's what the Don in Don Francisco's name means--he was a cacique, a local leader whom the Spanish coopted into their own structure of rule) , but this was New Spain, so think ecuador rather than the great plains.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Most of your modern machine guns like the M240 or M249 have to be fired right handed. Of course, they're not exactly precision weapons, so they're a bit more forgiving for off-handed shooters.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Hazzard posted:

I've just remembered some navy people telling me that they practise holding the gun both ways, but they would only do it the right handed way when the Drill Sergeant watches, because that's the only one they're meant to practise.

Maroon communities sometimes mixed with native ones, yes.

VKing
Apr 22, 2008
I've heard rumours of Norwegian-produced G3 rifles that were inverted for left-handed shooters (i.e. ejecting on the left side), so-called "links" models, but I haven't found anything about it after digging around for it for a while.
Even the historical society for the Kongsberg weapon factory itself doesn't list one (and they even document the .22 cal drop-in conversion kit I didn't even know about), so I don't think it actually exists.
There have been variants of the G3 with brass deflectors, though.

An anecdote on the perils of left-handed shooting: One of my platoon's G3s had a bit of a sticky ejector, and would fling casings almost straight backwards at about teeth height instead of mostly outwards. It fortunately wasn't issued to one of the lefties in my unit.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Polyakov posted:

There was however a bit of a scare at the next platform when a ship approached at 25 knots and was identified as a warship by one of the Cobras, his initial identification was that it was an Iranian Saam-Class frigate and missiles were loaded to sink it. Fortunately the commander of the group waited for an absolutely positive identification, it was a Soviet Sovremenny destroyer with an inquisitive captain who wanted to observe proceedings.

Sovremenny Destroyer

Charlie group was comprised of a Cruiser and two frigates, and its attack followed a similar course, some Iranians stayed and fought, then rethought their life choices after the initial bombardment. However in this case some of them stayed to the end and gave one of the SEAL helicopters a scare as it tried to land forces when one of the 23mm guns came back to life. The platform was set on fire and strafed repeatedly by the helicopters until finally the platform stopped firing.

That could have got...awkward

Thanks for these posts. The Iran-Iraq was one of the first news stories I can remember seeing on the TV. Back then I was of course rooting for Iraq, because it was the physically smaller and therefore weaker nation.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

VKing posted:

An anecdote on the perils of left-handed shooting: One of my platoon's G3s had a bit of a sticky ejector, and would fling casings almost straight backwards at about teeth height instead of mostly outwards. It fortunately wasn't issued to one of the lefties in my unit.

When I was in Iraq and they were searching for a place for us to stay most of the unit had nothing to do. They managed to scrounge up some ammo and we went out into the desert for target practice. They lined up all the M249 gunners and we laid down to start shooting. No one thought it was a bad idea to have maybe a foot in between us; everyone was being pelted with hot brass. I ended up getting a casing stuck underneath my glasses and against my cheekbone. Hurt like hell and I had a burn there for a week.

Ironically is was right underneath my right eye.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

limp_cheese posted:

When I was in Iraq and they were searching for a place for us to stay most of the unit had nothing to do. They managed to scrounge up some ammo and we went out into the desert for target practice. They lined up all the M249 gunners and we laid down to start shooting. No one thought it was a bad idea to have maybe a foot in between us; everyone was being pelted with hot brass. I ended up getting a casing stuck underneath my glasses and against my cheekbone. Hurt like hell and I had a burn there for a week.

Ironically is was right underneath my right eye.

When Ian and Karl went to Finland and shot a bunch of guns, Ian discovered that the DP-28 has a nasty possibility of dumping an ejecting casing right down your sleeve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IspQdG-cNcM&t=129s

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
oh yeah well a musketeer ashed on me last reenactment

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I have a couple of permanent scars on my right forearm from 556 casings.

ps I hate shooting guns

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

the JJ posted:

Maroon communities sometimes mixed with native ones, yes.

Yeah when we are talking about the mainland of south and Central America escaped slaves joined together with native communities and sometimes formed powerful tribal confederacies that were serious military threats to colonial powers, with especially powerful tribes forming on the Mosquito coast of Nicaragua and in the interior of Guyana and Suriname. Escaped slaves brought resistance to Eurasian disease and a healthy hostility towards Europeans, and in communities like the Moskito there was an intense melding of West African and Amerindian culture and tradition.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

IIRC the Mars automatic pistols from the early 20th c ejected their spent casings backwards.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Your hate-boner for this guy could break mountains, couldn't it?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

The Lone Badger posted:

IIRC the Mars automatic pistols from the early 20th c ejected their spent casings backwards.

Also half the drat gun went slamming back at the firer.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Thump! posted:

Most of your modern machine guns like the M240 or M249 have to be fired right handed. Of course, they're not exactly precision weapons, so they're a bit more forgiving for off-handed shooters.

Nah you can fire em left handed, it just loving sucks having to do the load/reload drills left handed and you also get a bunch of brass pinging off your forearm.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

One of those books I was given as a child to make me feel better about being left-handed mentioned that someone built a castle with staircases spiraling in the opposite direction for left-handed defense because the family was primarily left-handed.

Probably bullshit, thought.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

bewbies posted:

I have a couple of permanent scars on my right forearm from 556 casings.

ps I hate shooting guns

I've got a scar on the inside of m.y right forearm in the shape of the gas cylinder and front sight of an M1 garand. I let it rest there after about 150 rounds in relatively quick succession back when I got my first one. Bump firing was involved. It's faded out a bit in the last 10 years but it still pops if I tan at all.

ps I love shooting guns.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

chitoryu12 posted:

When Ian and Karl went to Finland and shot a bunch of guns, Ian discovered that the DP-28 has a nasty possibility of dumping an ejecting casing right down your sleeve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IspQdG-cNcM&t=129s

I fired a DP while sleeveless and had no problems.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Goddamn Youtube economy.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cyrano4747 posted:

Bump firing was involved.

Is there a reason to do/need bump firing besides getting around restrictions on automatic fire?

Like, in a hypothetical world where you could freely own automatic weapons, would there still be bump fire shooting methods and conversion kits and such?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

VanSandman posted:

one day i WILL murder him, and once they see the videos no jury in either of our countries will convict me

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

HEY GAIL posted:

one day i WILL murder him, and once they see the videos no jury in either of our countries will convict me

I really hope you watched his videos about why tank platoons have four tanks because of Biotruths.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

VanSandman posted:

He is a bit of a tit.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
He rubs me the wrong way but I can't put my finger on why I think he's bullshit. Any pointers?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

GotLag posted:

He rubs me the wrong way but I can't put my finger on why I think he's bullshit. Any pointers?
Watch his 'Cavalry was a stupid idea' video and you'll understand. He talks authoritatively but knows gently caress all.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

Is there a reason to do/need bump firing besides getting around restrictions on automatic fire?

Like, in a hypothetical world where you could freely own automatic weapons, would there still be bump fire shooting methods and conversion kits and such?

Not really, it's strictly a gimmick to simulate automatic fire. Unlike true automatic fire it's gently caress near impossible to aim with traditional bump firing (I was a proponent of the belt loop method). I've never tried those stocks and the like. Back when I was in my mid 20s and doing a lot of shooting in abandoned gravel quarries it was a somewhat novel way to make a lot of noise. I don't think I've done it in 5 years or so, mostly because I'm more interested in trying to put bullet holes very close together now. To each their own, though. It's not like I'm going to look down on someone for loving around like that.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Tekopo posted:

Watch his 'Cavalry was a stupid idea' video and you'll understand. He talks authoritatively but knows gently caress all.

So what's his SA user name?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Cyrano4747 posted:

So what's his SA user name?
It's me/you/<POSTER I DON'T LIKE>

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

GotLag posted:

he does not believe pikes were used to stab

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Duh, they're obviously slashing weapons.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

HEY GAIL posted:

Obviously you throw them like a javelin

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

HEY GAIL posted:

Yeah, they were the early-modern equivalent of suppressible fire. You use the threat of the pikes to hold an enemy formation in place while your maneuver element (armed with swords) flanks them and does the real killing.
[/notserious]

Pyle
Feb 18, 2007

Tenno Heika Banzai

RC and Moon Pie posted:

One of those books I was given as a child to make me feel better about being left-handed mentioned that someone built a castle with staircases spiraling in the opposite direction for left-handed defense because the family was primarily left-handed.

Probably bullshit, thought.

That was famously left-handed Clan Kerr and their Ferniehirst Castle in Scotland.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clan_Kerr

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

GotLag posted:

bad opinion haver

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

The Lone Badger posted:

Yeah, they were the early-modern equivalent of suppressible fire. You use the threat of the pikes to hold an enemy formation in place while your maneuver element (armed with swords) flanks them and does the real killing.
[/notserious]
which reminds me, i just read a thing that said that commanders preferred lots of pikemen for a charge, or to storm a breach, not only because pikes were better for that than muskets but because the pikemen were often the more experienced soldiers, and therefore more spirited attackers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

GotLag posted:

It's just a neckbeardy dude who essentially spitballs using his imagination about how people used to do war. 'It doesn't make sense to me that people would use this weapon like this, therefore they didn't.'

He does this instead of doing what a historian would do and scouring sources for info about what people actually did instead of relying on your own received wisdom. So he basically does the opposite of history.

Also he's really dumb so his imagination is always far off the mark.