Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

DIAMOND VULTURES checking in. Think I finally figured out my color scheme. Going for a bearded vulture vibe, with all the white bits being over-the-top sparkly/glittery.

This is cool. Go for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

DIAMOND VULTURES checking in. Think I finally figured out my color scheme. Going for a bearded vulture vibe, with all the white bits being over-the-top sparkly/glittery.

I need to see this realised.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The Regal Skulls were the result of an experiment Belisarius Cawl conducted near the end of the development of the Primaris marines. The intent was to create a legion of pariahs; anti-psykers like those of the Sisters of Silence or the Culexis Assassin Temple capable of blocking the warp. If successful the Regal Skulls would be the pinnacle of Cawl's work; the ultimate defense against psykers, Chaos, and the Immaterium itself. Unfortunately the project was not successful as Cawl was unable to capture the quintessence that defines a pariah. Even the Adeptus Mechanicus are incapable of engineering the soul. What Cawl did produce was a Chapter that was more warp resistant than other Primaris and less susceptible to the uncomfortable effects of being in close proximity to Pariahs. The Ordo Hereticus, seeing the value in such a warrior, requested a chapter and the Regal Skulls were formed. As a small, specialized Chapter Regal Skulls rarely perform independent operations or campaigns. Instead they are typically found alongside the Inquisition, providing support for other psyker-focused forces against threats that may be outside their capabilities.

This turned out so drat good.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The Regal Skulls were the result of an experiment Belisarius Cawl conducted near the end of the development of the Primaris marines. The intent was to create a legion of pariahs; anti-psykers like those of the Sisters of Silence or the Culexis Assassin Temple capable of blocking the warp. If successful the Regal Skulls would be the pinnacle of Cawl's work; the ultimate defense against psykers, Chaos, and the Immaterium itself. Unfortunately the project was not successful as Cawl was unable to capture the quintessence that defines a pariah. Even the Adeptus Mechanicus are incapable of engineering the soul. What Cawl did produce was a Chapter that was more warp resistant than other Primaris and less susceptible to the uncomfortable effects of being in close proximity to Pariahs. The Ordo Hereticus, seeing the value in such a warrior, requested a chapter and the Regal Skulls were formed. As a small, specialized Chapter Regal Skulls rarely perform independent operations or campaigns. Instead they are typically found alongside the Inquisition, providing support for other psyker-focused forces against threats that may be outside their capabilities.

this is a lovely and dazzling space boy, but im not crazy about how you based him. something that contrasts the armor colors would make it pop more

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

this is a lovely and dazzling space boy, but im not crazy about how you based him. something that contrasts the armor colors would make it pop more

I think something as simple as some green grass tufts could do it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

What color would you have used? I thought using a bone color would have lightened up the overall model.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
I like the basing, it contrasts nicely with the purple legs and at the same time ties the whole thing together because it's a similar colour to the bone towards the top of the model. Only thing I would say is to apply it thicker so you get a more pronounced crackle effect, and maybe a grass tuft if you wanted but that's personal preference.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

I like the basing, it contrasts nicely with the purple legs and at the same time ties the whole thing together because it's a similar colour to the bone towards the top of the model. Only thing I would say is to apply it thicker so you get a more pronounced crackle effect, and maybe a grass tuft if you wanted but that's personal preference.

The crackle effect is definitely a result of it being my first time with that medium. In the future I will likely try using a dark brown undercoat, hit the crackle material, and then heavy drybrush with the sand and then bone colors. I may redo that base as well.

It pisses me off that I can't find Agrellan Badlands anywhere.

Not feeling a green grass tuft, but I might think about metal debris or something. I want the ground to feel dead.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Steel Slayers

The Steel Slayers are a crusading chapter derived from the Imperial Fists, currently acting as an Militant arm of the Ordo Xenos at the request of Lord Inquisitor Grayson Macavoy. The chapter's original name has been struck from the records, and they bear the new name of Steel Slayers after a campaign of running battles against the Necrons. The Steel Slayers have fight with all of the zeal of the Black Templar cousins, but are not given to warshouts or grand proclamations, preferring the calm of a battle meditation to the fiery exalts of divine inspiration.

They arm themselves with a great myriad of arcane technologies from the stores of the Macavoy Conclave, and work closely alongside Inquisitorial forces. This extends beyond battlefield cooperation and logistics, with units of Storm Troopers, Acolytes and Marines training alongside each other in order to more effectively react to threats in the age of the Dark Imperium. This is clearly displayed by Chapter Master Ferrin Cisor, who utilizes Inquisitor Macavoy's two weapon dueling style in battle.

Colors used:
London Grey, washed with Nuln Oil.
Runefang Silver on the details and sword.
Vallejo Prussian Blue, washed with Drakenhoff Nightshade.
Jokaero Orange for the Eyes
Mephiston Red and Baalthasar Gold on the honors badge/chord.

The cape and tabard is a base of Ulthuan Gray, then layered back and forth with Nuln Oil/Ulthuan Gray until I got the shading I wanted, then I went over the high points with Ceramite White. It's the first time I've tried shading this, I hope it worked out. I admit, the lighting direction is helping.

The hammer was based in 14k Karat gold paint, then I went over it with Abaddon Black trying to leave the gold in the recesses to give a weave look. I was going for like, a spinning generator in the center with a gold turbine surrounded by blue energy. The blue is Thunderhawk Blue, layered over with Temple Guard Blue. On the weapon edges I hit over that lightly with Etherium Blue. Same basic form with the sword, but I had a base of Runefang Silver for it. The gold was hit with a Seraphim Sepia wash.

The model is a Primaris Captain model, with a head from the Deathwatch. The thunderhammer is from an Admiral of those airship Sigmar dwarves. The right shoulderpad is actually some part from that admiral cut that I thought looked interesting and cut off.

Bonus image:

Steel Slayer: "The xenos have almost broken through the bulkhead."

Brawler: "Good! I've got something for them!"

professor_curly fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jul 30, 2017

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

professor_curly posted:

Steel Slayers

The Steel Slayers are a crusading chapter derived from the Imperial Fists, currently acting as an Militant arm of the Ordo Xenos at the request of Lord Inquisitor Grayson Macavoy. The chapter's original name has been struck from the records, and they bear the new name of Steel Slayers after a campaign of running battles against the Necrons. The Steel Slayers have fight with all of the zeal of the Black Templar cousins, but are not given to warshouts or grand proclamations, preferring the calm of a battle meditation to the fiery exalts of divine inspiration.

They arm themselves with a great myriad of arcane technologies from the stores of the Macavoy Conclave, and work closely alongside Inquisitorial forces. This extends beyond battlefield cooperation and logistics, with units of Storm Troopers, Acolytes and Marines training alongside each other in order to more effectively react to threats in the age of the Dark Imperium. This is clearly displayed by Chapter Master Ferrin Cisor, who utilizes Inquisitor Macavoy's two weapon dueling style in battle.

Colors used:
London Grey, washed with Nuln Oil.
Runefang Silver on the details and sword.
Vallejo Prussian Blue, washed with Drakenhoff Nightshade.
Jokaero Orange for the Eyes
Mephiston Red and Baalthasar Gold on the honors badge/chord.

The cape and tabard is a base of Ulthuan Gray, then layered back and forth with Nuln Oil/Ulthuan Gray until I got the shading I wanted, then I went over the high points with Ceramite White. It's the first time I've tried shading this, I hope it worked out. I admit, the lighting direction is helping.

The hammer was based in 14k Karat gold paint, then I went over it with Abaddon Black trying to leave the gold in the recesses to give a weave look. I was going for like, a spinning generator in the center with a gold turbine surrounded by blue energy. The blue is Thunderhawk Blue, layered over with Temple Guard Blue. On the weapon edges I hit over that lightly with Etherium Blue. Same basic form with the sword, but I had a base of Runefang Silver for it. The gold was hit with a Seraphim Sepia wash.

The model is a Primaris Captain model, with a head from the Deathwatch. The thunderhammer is from an Admiral of those airship Sigmar dwarves. The right shoulderpad is actually some part from that admiral cut that I thought looked interesting and cut off.

Bonus image:

Steel Slayer: "The xenos have almost broken through the bulkhead."

Brawler: "Good! I've got something for them!"

Bad. rear end.

Prions!
Jun 30, 2010
Posting my Atomic Corsair, ended up highlighting the Mournfang Brown with orange to brighten it up.

Apologies for my stupid finger in the last one.

Prions! fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jul 30, 2017

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Image isn't working.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Prions! posted:

Posting my Atomic Corsair, ended up highlighting the Mournfang Brown with orange to brighten it up.

drat that's a nice Marine.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Yeah it's a great paint job.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Prions! posted:

Ooh, drat! That's the best brown Marine I've ever seen.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

Dope! Although I know it's not true, my brain keeps on telling the backpack is unpainted. Maybe a few details would change that? Black vents? Another color as the center circle?

Prions! posted:

This came out amazingly well! Chapter symbol is killer. The highlighting and details are great. Make an entire chapter of em :v:

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Given the Heresy-era experience the Raven Guard had with rapidly cloned reinforcements, they and their successors have been a little reluctant to employ bigly marines en masse within existing chapters. A large proportion of their allocation was re-founded in new chapters, such as the DANCING RAPTORS.

The Dancing Raptors were first deployed to the feral jungle worlds of the Nublar system, where they assisted the eccentric local governor in establishing a number of colonies on previously unconquered planets. However, these colonies have suffered from prolonged conflict with the xenos species of the system, and the Dancing Raptors have been embroiled in a prolonged guerilla war against a variety of savage and predatory alien.

Lt Muldoon in action on Nublar V

All apologies to Buffalo Chicken for this one.

tallkidwithglasses fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Aug 2, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Is that a goddamned Jurassic Park color scheme? :allears:

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Oh you brilliant bastard

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Given the Heresy-era experience the Raven Guard had with rapidly cloned reinforcements, they and their successors have been a little reluctant to employ bigly marines en masse within existing chapters. A large proportion of their allocation was re-founded in new chapters, such as the DANCING RAPTORS.

The Dancing Raptors were first deployed to the feral jungle worlds of the Nublar system, where they assisted the eccentric local governor in establishing a number of colonies on previously unconquered planets. However, these colonies have suffered from prolonged conflict with the xenos species of the system, and the Dancing Raptors have been embroiled in a prolonged guerilla war against a variety of savage and predatory alien.

All apologies to Buffalo Chicken for this one.

Clever girl.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:krad:

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What color would you have used? I thought using a bone color would have lightened up the overall model.

im pretty old school with my basing, some sort of green or yellow flock. some grass tufts if im feeling fancy. but going for a dead world vibe, maybe a dark grey or brown? something different from the helm and shoulder pads just to give it a bit more variety v:shobon:v

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Yeah, I like contrast. Basing my gold/green mans on either brick red or asphalt grey.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

im pretty old school with my basing, some sort of green or yellow flock. some grass tufts if im feeling fancy. but going for a dead world vibe, maybe a dark grey or brown? something different from the helm and shoulder pads just to give it a bit more variety v:shobon:v

I think the problem is that if I went that direction it would run the risk of the purple losing its definition. I can see how it might lack variety in the overall model, but I am not convinced that changing the base color is the right direction.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

I'd like to play.

InsaneCheese
Jul 24, 2017
Ok, so here's some WIP shots of the Deathclaws and some half hashed out background. I apologise for the photos, I really need to get/make a light box.

The Deathclaws are a 26th Founding Chapter, successors to the Dark Angels. Named after a large, aggressive predator of a their Homeworld - The Wasteland. They take their odd colouring from these predators, choosing to paint their armour like they are uparmored Deathclaws. The Imperium is convinced they are successors to the Space Wolves, something they do little to deny (with a little prodding from Inner Circle, and much laughter)

Known for ignoring the enemy - even those sneaking through their ranks - once they decide to start fighting, they will follow and hound their foes until they succeed in wiping them out.

Amongst their deeds, they are attributed with wiping a system clean of a Tyranid invasion. Vidpict and Vox records indicate they literally charged and fought claw to claw with their enemy, and where ultimately victorious, if a depleted Chapter - a fact which has led to them seeing an large uptake of Primaris troops, with many of their own choosing to take the treatment.

Being a well rounded combined arms force, many are left wondering why they have an irrationally large number of Lighting Claws in their force. Often they will do away with more fitting Power and Chain weapons and have entire squads equipped with Claws.

InsaneCheese fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Aug 1, 2017

Catpain
Oct 9, 2012
Sign me up for HARD MODE.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You are the VIGILANT HOUNDS. You must use RHINOX HIDE and are banned from using STEEL LEGION DRAB.

I don't know what I did in a previous life to deserve this but I shall make it so!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Would more skulls help with the base?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

InsaneCheese posted:

Ok, so here's some WIP shots of the Deathclaws and some half hashed out background. I apologise for the photos, I really need to get/make a light box.

The Deathclaws are a 26th Founding Chapter, successors to the Dark Angels. Named after a large, aggressive predator of a their Homeworld - The Wasteland. They take their odd colouring from these predators, choosing to paint their armour like they are uparmored Deathclaws. The Imperium is convinced they are successors to the Space Wolves, something they do little to deny (with a little prodding from Inner Circle, and much laughter)

Known for ignoring the enemy - even those sneaking through their ranks - once they decide to start fighting, they will follow and hound their foes until they succeed in wiping them out.

Amongst their deeds, they are attributed with wiping a system clean of a Tyranid invasion. Vidpict and Vox records indicate they literally charged and fought claw to claw with their enemy, and where ultimately victorious, if a depleted Chapter - a fact which has led to them seeing an large uptake of Primaris troops, with many of their own choosing to take the treatment.

Being a well rounded combined arms force, many are left wondering why they have an irrationally large number of Lighting Claws in their force. Often they will do away with more fitting Power and Chain weapons and have entire squads equipped with Claws.

Awesome.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Catpain posted:

Sign me up for HARD MODE.

You are the DANCING KRAKENS. You must use AVERLAND SUNSET and are banned from using INCUBI DARKNESS.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

DrPop posted:

I'd like to play.

You are the ICE SAINTS.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Ice Saints better be equipped with powered hockey sticks.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Thunder Eaters primed and possibly already ruined because I reflexively primed them in black like my iron hands, instead of the white primer I use on lighter stuff (Since these guys are using rakarth flesh and blues). Oh well, let's see how it goes! Painting starts tomorrow.

Catpain
Oct 9, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You are the DANCING KRAKENS. You must use AVERLAND SUNSET and are banned from using INCUBI DARKNESS.

Thy will be done.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

chutche2 posted:

Thunder Eaters primed and possibly already ruined because I reflexively primed them in black like my iron hands, instead of the white primer I use on lighter stuff (Since these guys are using rakarth flesh and blues). Oh well, let's see how it goes! Painting starts tomorrow.

If you haven't started yet, go a few layers of Ulthuan Grey to lighten things up. I'm not an expert by any means, but that's worked for me going from black primer to white and blue in the past.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Would more skulls help with the base?

this is 40k. do you really have to ask if more skulls would help? :unsmigghh:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

chutche2 posted:

I just Primed my primaris dude and accidentally scratched his head so now he's gonna have battle damage because I'm not gonna go buy another model :)

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

chutche2 posted:

use it as an excuse to try zenithal highlighting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

use it as an excuse to try zenithal highlighting

This is fantastic advice. Going to zenithal spray it in the morning and start on it either tomorrow night or the next day.

• Locked thread