Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

Bebe might be the smartest person in a whole show about people who think they are smarter than they are - whether that's book or street smarts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I don't remember Bebe

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

beep by grandpa posted:

I don't remember Bebe

Frasier's cutthroat agent.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

beep by grandpa posted:

I don't remember Bebe

Beep by Grandpa, darling! How could you ever have forgotten a character like her?! Well, you truly intellectual types are always the hardest to make an impression on. You look wonderful, care to try and remember her now?!

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Probably gonna get hell for this, but I never liked Bebe. A little too loud and over-the-top for me. Of course, compared to Daphne's mother, she's a breath of fresh air. Her episodes definitely aren't bad, just not my favorites.

murex
Apr 30, 2009

by Lowtax
Bebe was a great character and I loved how the writers eventually said gently caress it and played fully into the whole 'agents are the devil' thing and make Bebe out to be this soul sacrificing Lucifer type in her last appearance.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Inescapable Duck posted:

It doesn't help that Bebe is goddamn amazing. She is terrifying, irritating, and everyone secretly wishes they had a Bebe backing them up.

I like that her accent is that of a deranged villain from a 1930's movie. She's great.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

ElGroucho posted:

I like that her accent is that of a deranged villain from a 1930's movie. She's great.

yeah she rules, it's like if the producers walked into the writers' room, tacked up a poster of Cruella deVil with the caption "Frasier's new agent" and said "make it work."

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Kelp Me! posted:

yeah she rules, it's like if the producers walked into the writers' room, tacked up a poster of Cruella deVil with the caption "Frasier's new agent" and said "make it work."

I love this.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Bebe shoulda hosed martin

revolther
May 27, 2008
That episode where Lilith wants another kid and Martin realizes she's had Frasier and Niles, and now she wants it from the fountain head.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Frasier is only supposed to be 40 years old at the beginning of the show. Kelsey Grammer was 38 when it started.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I like the Dr. Phil episode, also a Bebe episode

Strange they would give a character the name Bebe when the actress who plays Lilith is named Bebe

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Frasier is only supposed to be 40 years old at the beginning of the show. Kelsey Grammer was 38 when it started.

Immersion ruined :negative:

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
It's fun when you start being older than the people in your favorite shows back then when they made them. Hint: Actually it isn't. Twas' a dark day when I realized I passed William Shatner in age back when he did TOS. One day you're a kid, the other you're older than all of em.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Speaking of Bebe, my favourite episode with her is "Roz's Turn" - so many great lines

" "Wink!" "
"I am a starmaker!"

Bebe: [feigning shock:] I had no idea who I was speaking to! [to Vera:] How dare you impersonate my niece?! I've had enough of your cruel jokes - you're fired, mother!

http://www.kacl780.net/frasier/transcripts/season_4/episode_17/rozs_turn.html

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I was sure Grammer was much older than 40 and laughed at that detail. Oy is my face ever red.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I always wanted to know if Niles and Frasier's mom was a pompous wuss like that her boys or if she was just a cute, fun lady that loved Martin and her sons, bless their heart, just came out as total knobs independently.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Bust Rodd posted:

I always wanted to know if Niles and Frasier's mom was a pompous wuss like that her boys or if she was just a cute, fun lady that loved Martin and her sons, bless their heart, just came out as total knobs independently.

She appears in an episode "Mommia Mia"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Bust Rodd posted:

From all indication she was somewhere in between. There's an episode where they all lament that she was pretty much the only person who'd get along equally well with Martin and the boys.

Although, while they'd never say it, her parenting wasn't exactly perfect.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
She enjoyed the opera stuff (which is where the boys got it from) but wasn't snobbish - from Dinner at Eight:

Martin: "You know, I used to think you two took after your mother, liking the ballet and all that, but your mother liked a good ball game too. She even had a hot dog once in a while. She may have had fancy tastes, but she had too much class to ever make me or anybody else feel second-rate."

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Their snootyness likely comes as a result of being bullied as kids for liking the things they liked

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
She named her kids after lab animals, which in my mind is another tally in the coolness column.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Carpet posted:

She enjoyed the opera stuff (which is where the boys got it from) but wasn't snobbish - from Dinner at Eight:

Martin: "You know, I used to think you two took after your mother, liking the ballet and all that, but your mother liked a good ball game too. She even had a hot dog once in a while. She may have had fancy tastes, but she had too much class to ever make me or anybody else feel second-rate."

Pretty much perfectly answers the question. Thanks Marty

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I think I already knew but this but it's still funny reading about Kelsey Grammer's personal life, especially when the surname of the guy who killed his dad is Niles.

quote:

On April 25, 1968, a man named Arthur B. Niles set fire to Frank Grammer’s car outside the St. Thomas home he shared with his second wife, Elizabeth, and their four children (Betty, John, Billy and Stephen).When Frank Grammer went outside, Niles shot him twice. During the trial, Elizabeth Grammer testified that she pulled her husband’s body from in front of Niles’ car because he had threatened to run over him as well. Kelsey Grammer was only 13 years old at the time of his father’s murder.

Niles was found not guilty of the murder by reason of insanity and spent several decades in a psychiatric ward. In 1994, he was assessed to no longer be a threat to society and was released. In November of 2002, a judge issued a restraining order against Niles which prevented him from seeing his son. In March 2003, Niles went back to prison after pleading guilty to threatening to kill that same judge- no longer a threat indeed.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2013/05/the-tragic-family-life-of-kelsey-grammer/

To be fair, it doesn't sound out of character for Niles Crane, anyway.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
holy poo poo, I totally loving forgot alan tudyk had an appearance :aaaaa:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

holy poo poo, I totally loving forgot alan tudyk had an appearance :aaaaa:

Frasier's meltdown at the end of that ep is one of my fav moments of the entire show. Great physical comedy++

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
"Is that a Pizza Hut?"
"Erm... Yes... We've started a petition to--"
"Well it must've worked! That is a Pizza Hut!"

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Inescapable Duck posted:

From all indication she was somewhere in between. There's an episode where they all lament that she was pretty much the only person who'd get along equally well with Martin and the boys.

Although, while they'd never say it, her parenting wasn't exactly perfect.

The few times they delved into the 3 Crane men's relationship with Hester were some of the most emotionally resonant moments durung the show's run. The quote posted above illustrating how classy she was might be the best line John Mahoney ever gave on the show. Having established early on that she had cheated on him made it that much more powerful, too.

ETA: Your point regarding her parenting is astute; Don Juan In Hell Part 2 shows that, in Frasier's mind at least, she could be distantly analytical, imperious, and judgemental in equal measure.

Laterite fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Aug 1, 2017

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That also came up during the Sherry arc, which had an interesting resolution; she drives the brothers crazy, but they have to admit she's never anything but nice to them, it's just her idea of nice is what annoys them all to hell, and Frasier's even supportive of the relationship in the end. (right when it ends, of course)

Not the worst theme that very different people can still get along and be friends, but it requires understanding and active effort from everyone involved.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Hester appears in an early Cheers episode when Fraiser and Diane are dating. Hester tells Diane she will murder her if she marries Frasier.

Hester was pretty cool.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Daphne was hot

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
I am eminently pleased I have this, the discussion thread for the television. Program Frazier, in which to post that I enjoy the television. Profram frasierw. Thanks everybody for thos, the frasirr trlevisin program thr

naem
May 29, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

Daphne was hot

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Daphne was hot, but she existed before white girls started getting nice asses, unfortunately

Roz is the way

Roz my Niles Hole

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

spog posted:

She appears in an episode "Mommia Mia"

She looked pretty different when she was on Cheers

Imagine Frasier wanting to gently caress that

naem
May 29, 2011

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

god drat I love the 80's/early 90's

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Oh, for a minute there I thought I'd wandered into the "Post the most 90s thing you can find" thread

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

Cosmik Slop posted:

She looked pretty different when she was on Cheers

Imagine Frasier wanting to gently caress that

in that home video she/thedoppelgänger that Frasier dated was younger though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Carpet posted:

in that home video she/thedoppelgänger that Frasier dated was younger though
Yeah, the actress has benjamin button disease.