Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drape Culture
Feb 9, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother.

The End.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Roomba just barely fits between my aeron legs enough to not be able to get itself out, so I put a piece of fishing line between the legs to keep it out.

justroombathings

Wait...that's genius. This will solve many problems. Now I need to figure out how to stop it from ramping up on light bases.

Doctor Butts posted:

Yea but this is on another level since this website is intended solely for that purpose.

If you think this is bad, let me introduce you to my friend https://www.1stdibs.com/

My favorite part is when local consignment shops use these sites to justify charging too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Drape Culture posted:

Wait...that's genius. This will solve many problems. Now I need to figure out how to stop it from ramping up on light bases.

so what's it like paying upwards of four hundred earth dollars for what is apparently a vacuum cleaner that drives like a grandpa

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

learnincurve posted:

Imagine that room converted into an indoor tropical garden :allears:
Imagine trying to furnish the rest of the house, where no two walls meet at a 90° angle. :catstare:

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

SoundMonkey posted:

so what's it like paying upwards of four hundred earth dollars for what is apparently a vacuum cleaner that drives like a grandpa

I had been thinking of getting one of those and ended up just getting a dyson v8 for much less instead. It's way more useful in practice, and unlike my parents' roomba circa 2011 it didn't stop working in 5 months either.

Drape Culture
Feb 9, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother.

The End.

SoundMonkey posted:

Strangely satisfying when it manages to not get stuck on, well, anything.

The future is now!

e:

I forgot the best part. If your carpet has black lines on it, forget about your roomba:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxRhEcdaT-g

Drape Culture fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jul 30, 2017

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Lazlo Nibble posted:

Imagine trying to furnish the rest of the house, where no two walls meet at a 90° angle. :catstare:
Roundhouses were a trend among modernist architects in the 60s and 70s and they used buit-ins (like the seating in the house above) but also didn't put much furniture against the walls. With enough open space it didn't seem too bad.
Some restoration inspiration!
A 1968 house in Colorado by Don Price
Leon Meyer 1967 Nolan House, one of 6 round houses he built
Gilbert Spindel's Geodesica, nicely renovated with before-and-after photos
Richard Foster's 1968 spinning Round House and more photos

Youth Decay fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jul 30, 2017

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

SoundMonkey posted:

I haven't had one since the first model and they're only really useful if you're all on one level, but it provides a level of automation akin to a washing machine. The only difference is that it goes to the dirt rather than you bringing the dirt to it.

Once you get into a pattern of hitting the button on the way out the door and coming home to a clean house it's quite pleasant, though once mine did manage to bump its way under a big stack of CDs and distribute them evenly across the entire floor, which is loving weird to come home to.

Also some nasty reports of what happens when a cat or dog shits on the carpet just before the roomba makes its rounds.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Hey, just came across this magnificent reference for anyone that likes to dabble with home design. I'm sure many of you have heard about it, but it's The Measure of Man and Woman: Human Factors in Design, full digitized. https://www.scribd.com/doc/123283206/The-Measure-of-Man-and-Woman . Has a ton of measurements and layouts that are useful for spitballing room sizes and layouts. Did you know it's ideal to have 22" of space between a wall and a bed in order to make it, but 48" in order to clean under it? NOW YOU DO! (Hop to page 52 for the home design stuff)

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jul 31, 2017

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Hey, just came across this magnificent reference for anyone that likes to dabble with home design. I'm sure many of you have heard about it, but it's The Measure of Man and Woman: Human Factors in Design, full digitized. https://www.scribd.com/doc/123283206/The-Measure-of-Man-and-Woman . Has a ton of measurements and layouts that are useful for spitballing room sizes and layouts. Did you know it's ideal to have 22" of space between a wall and a bed in order to make it, but 48" in order to clean under it? NOW YOU DO! (Hop to page 52 for the home design stuff)

22" seems kinda uncomfortable assuming the bed is being boarded from both sides

other things that are 22" and feed a bit cramped walking through: the opening at the top of my drat stairs

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

SoundMonkey posted:

other things that are 22" and feed a bit cramped walking through: the opening at the top of my drat stairs

The measurements are from the 70's, americans have gotten wider and more used to big spaces since then. 22" is a scootch, but walkable.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

SoundMonkey posted:

My apartment building (built in 1817) has its original double doors at the entry and each door is extremely narrow, like 18-20" at most. There's an original set of stairs to the attic that is similarly narrow. People were just smaller back in the day I suppose.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

SoundMonkey posted:

I just checked to see how far my bed was from its nearest wall, and I'll be damned, it's 21" away. It doesn't feel cramped at all, probably because as you walk up the length of the bed, you've only got a wall on one side. A 22" doorway would be narrow as hell but 22" doesn't seem constricting at all for distance from bed-to-wall.

I could never vacuum under it, though. Book checks out.

e: it's got about 3 feet on the other side along with a hallway/closet to the master bath, so that keeps the room in general from being constricting. If it were 22" on both sides it'd be tight, I agree there.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Suspect Bucket posted:

Nice find for the digital version, but I highly recommend picking up a paper copy as well, it is an excellent reference to have near your bench or drawing table.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Jaded Burnout posted:

Also some nasty reports of what happens when a cat or dog shits on the carpet just before the roomba makes its rounds.

On the other hand,

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Youth Decay posted:

My apartment building (built in 1817) has its original double doors at the entry and each door is extremely narrow, like 18-20" at most. There's an original set of stairs to the attic that is similarly narrow. People were just smaller back in the day I suppose.

Nutrition'll do that. Even beyond fat, the average height and weight has been increasing since the 1800's because we're (at least as Americans and northern Europeans) eating a hell of a lot better as kids than we did historically.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
A lot of it is to do with smoking during pregnancy, in the UK we eat far worse than our parents generation but our average height is the same because less people smoke - passive smoking plays a factor in that as well because smoking in public buildings is a recent ban here.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

GEMorris posted:

Nice find for the digital version, but I highly recommend picking up a paper copy as well, it is an excellent reference to have near your bench or drawing table.

I'd love to. I also like how I recognize every kitchen layout in the book as one I've seen in real life apartments.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I have spent exact zero hours the past two years sweeping or vacuuming, and my floors are spotless every day. If I did the same thing by hand it would cost me about 120 hours a year. Pricing it out, Roomba "sells" me free time for about $1 per hour, cheaper as time goes on.

About once a month Roomba shuts itself in the bathroom or something, but I just hit the dock button when I find it and it drives back home.

It's beneficial enough that I've made thousands of dollars of furniture purchases based on whether or not Roomba can navigate the geometry. Plus I get to sit in my chair on the weekend and watch Roomba clean around me, like some sort of feudal British lord.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

PRADA SLUT posted:

I have spent exact zero hours the past two years sweeping or vacuuming, and my floors are spotless every day. If I did the same thing by hand it would cost me about 120 hours a year. Pricing it out, Roomba "sells" me free time for about $1 per hour, cheaper as time goes on.

About once a month Roomba shuts itself in the bathroom or something, but I just hit the dock button when I find it and it drives back home.

It's beneficial enough that I've made thousands of dollars of furniture purchases based on whether or not Roomba can navigate the geometry. Plus I get to sit in my chair on the weekend and watch Roomba clean around me, like some sort of feudal British lord.

Roomba. Not a Roomba or the Roomba. Just Roomba.

What have I told you about anthropomorphizing appliances heralding the robot apocalypse?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

YamiNoSenshi posted:

Sure and I bet you have Internet and play with Lego and drink milk.

Drape Culture
Feb 9, 2010

The End.

YamiNoSenshi posted:

What have I told you about anthropomorphizing appliances heralding the robot apocalypse?

My wife assigns it gender pronouns based on how well it performs. It's male if it gets lost or gets stuck on some piece of furniture, and female if it cleans successfully.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

YamiNoSenshi posted:

Maybe the secret to forestalling the robot apocalypse is actually in treating our robo companions well so when they inevitably gain sentience and rise up, it's in fellowship and affection, instead of murderous rage. :roboluv:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I wish British houses were as large as American houses, even your apartments make our flats seem tiny by comparison. :( I live in a 3 bedroom house and there is not enough floor space to justify getting a roomba

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

learnincurve posted:

I wish British houses were as large as American houses, even your apartments make our flats seem tiny by comparison. :( I live in a 3 bedroom house and there is not enough floor space to justify getting a roomba

But then if you don't live in New York or Chicago, a car would be a requirement. American houses can be so big because they get stuck out where it's a 20+ minute drive to and from work with poor or no public transportation options, because gently caress poor people.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
It also means we need space for things people in denser areas would leave the house for. Built-in bar areas in the basement, exercise rooms we never use instead of gyms we never go to, extra kitchen storage to minimize drives over to the grocery store, etc.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

My current design pet peeve is ~minimalist~ kitchens. Like this one. How can you cook here? Where do you put food? And dishes? And cookware besides your stupid teapot collection?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Youth Decay posted:

My current design pet peeve is ~minimalist~ kitchens. Like this one. How can you cook here? Where do you put food? And dishes? And cookware besides your stupid teapot collection?

It is the Dada kitchen. It rejects the logic, reason, and aestheticism of modern capitalist society, instead expressing nonsense, irrationality, and anti-bourgeois protest. DOWN WITH THE CAPITALIST KITCHEN. ALL MEALS WILL BE THROWN AT YOU IN CENTRALIZED DINING HALLS ALONG WITH INTERMITTENT MUMBLINGS OF SELECT DADIST WORKS.

Also, it looks like a rendering. So hopefully it does not really exist.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Youth Decay posted:

I'm guessing you're meant to shove it into the under-countertop space so it can efficiently collect dust while you order takeout every night.

Although replace the open shelves with actual cabinets & use more than one wall for them, and that'd be slightly better than most apartment kitchens. :smith:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Youth Decay posted:

Maybe this makes me a bad person, but I really like the look. It's too bad it's not useful. I have to assume the designer just wasn't prone to cooking.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Suspect Bucket posted:

It is the Dada kitchen. It rejects the logic, reason, and aestheticism of modern capitalist society, instead expressing nonsense, irrationality, and anti-bourgeois protest. DOWN WITH THE CAPITALIST KITCHEN. ALL MEALS WILL BE THROWN AT YOU IN CENTRALIZED DINING HALLS ALONG WITH INTERMITTENT MUMBLINGS OF SELECT DADIST WORKS.

Also, it looks like a rendering. So hopefully it does not really exist.

Oh no, it is very real.. And worse, the house (which was built in 1902, fully renovated in 1999 and had won awards for its previous renovation) was sold for $459k back in December, then was given a "modern farmhouse aesthetic" which included this dumb kitchen and now they're trying to sell the thing for $735k. Good loving luck.

The house needed some updating but they changed it into the most bland boring white-and-blue bullshit ever.

This was a perfectly good kitchen drat it!

Lol let's get rid of all the storage in the bath because piling poo poo on the counter looks way neater than putting it in drawers and cabinets. Also let's take away the towel bars while we're at it, nobody needs those right?

Youth Decay fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Aug 1, 2017

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

I see a red door and I want it painted white,
No colors anymore I want them to turn white.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I'm the beds and chairs in prime head-bashing position.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Paneling like that reminds me of our old houses that need to be gutted. It screams I need a renovation to me. Usually covered in grime from rotations of different tenants with random metal tubing and exposed electrical outlets.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

cheese eats mouse posted:

Paneling like that reminds me of our old houses that need to be gutted. It screams I need a renovation to me.

The house needed updating, yes (although I actually like old wood paneling). But it didn't deserve to be turned into a generic white ~modern farmhouse~. It also makes no sense to me that people can take a house, cover all the details in white paint, remove the drawers from the cabinets and then pretend it's worth $300k more. The whole "renovation" cost them maybe $5k-$10k total and they didn't even touch the outside or the guts of the house.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Youth Decay posted:

Screw that, I desire that kitchen badly.

I mean, first thing I'm doing is adding a hood, even more shelves, magnetic knife bars, and a hanging pot rack, but still. Counterspace is king.

Youth Decay posted:

Oh no, it is very real.. And worse, the house (which was built in 1902, fully renovated in 1999 and had won awards for its previous renovation) was sold for $459k back in December, then was given a "modern farmhouse aesthetic" which included this dumb kitchen and now they're trying to sell the thing for $735k. Good loving luck.

The house needed some updating but they changed it into the most bland boring white-and-blue bullshit ever.

Lol let's get rid of all the storage in the bath because piling poo poo on the counter looks way neater than putting it in drawers and cabinets. Also let's take away the towel bars while we're at it, nobody needs those right?

I take it back. Find the fucker who did that and staple his testicles to a wombat.

All that beautiful woodwork they just slapped paint on, and the original wood floors they appear to have slapped down lovely laminate over. :stonk:

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Aug 1, 2017

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Liquid Communism posted:

Find the fucker who did that and staple his testicles to a wombat.

New thread title right here.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

New thread title right here.

wow did that ever require some shenanigans to make it fit

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Youth Decay posted:

That would be ok if it had some actual cupboards instead of stupid open shelving.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Youth Decay posted:

For some reason this house makes me think of the sterile frozen neighborhood in A Wrinkle In Time. Like, actually go into any of the houses, and this poo poo is inside. It's like they put a house in cryostasis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

My builder offhandedly asked if I wanted to use my old floorboards to do some feature walls and I thought of this thread.

No, I said, not my style.