Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Chat Thread
This poll is closed.
anime chat thread 13 8.02%
anime chat thread 2.22 - A SODOM BORN OF THE HUNDRED YEARS WAR 11 6.79%
SHIN ANIME CHAT THREAD 3: THE LAST DAY OF THE EARTH 7 4.32%
ANIME CHAT THREAD 4: NEW AGE OF HEROES 1 0.62%
ANIME CHAT THREAD V: BEEF TENDENCY END 7 4.32%
ANIME CHAT THREAD VI: animemonogatari 16 9.88%
anime chat thread vii: 600 pages in like a week 3 1.85%
anime chat thread viii: a bowl of visible aids 7 4.32%
Anime Chat Thread IX: the desert of battle 1 0.62%
anime chat thread x: gifs of takane shijou eating 14 8.64%
anime chat thread xi: the beast that cried 'gas' at the heart of the world 16 9.88%
anime chat thread xii: the one where fire emblem comes out 8 4.94%
anime chat thread the 13th: no art dumps 5 3.09%
anime chat thread 14: this one probably won't get to 2000+ pages 3 1.85%
Chat Thead 15: Post your favorite robot and/or touhou itt 22 13.58%
Anime Chat Thread The Sixteenth: Frequently Anime Questions 3 1.85%
Anime Chat Thread Dimension XV-II: No More Eroes 2: Dawn of the New World 8 4.94%
Anime Chat Thread Part 18: (M)AIDS 17 10.49%
Total: 162 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So apparently the fan subs of My Little Witch Academia are better than the Netflix translation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
idk about that but the fansubs are good and you don't need to wait to watch the second friggin half of the show with them

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I've got a friend in Singapore taking a look through some of the gaming shops for me today, and he's wanting to know which games I had an interest in importing. I've remembered Gundam Breaker 3 and Super Robot Wars 5, but I'm drawing a blank on some of the other popular English supporting games you can snag over there.

Hell, any suggestions?

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

Dear anime thread, can somebody explain why the artwork on The Reflection is so poo poo, and how somebody thought that would be a good idea?

Is this some kind of anime statement about the cost of hiring real artists and how it dilutes the message or something? Because it's loving adult swim awful.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Blhue posted:

GabDrop also has the advantage of being good, over Umaru
from what i've seen neither is all that great but umaru as a show seems more charming to me, it knows its very stupid like having a character think umaru at home is LITERALLY a different person

plus the whole "facade at day real at night" thing is always a fun anime thing

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gawain The Blind posted:

Dear anime thread, can somebody explain why the artwork on The Reflection is so poo poo, and how somebody thought that would be a good idea?

Is this some kind of anime statement about the cost of hiring real artists and how it dilutes the message or something? Because it's loving adult swim awful.
i think its just a bad show

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

checking if dryzen reads the thread at this time

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

who

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

I've got a friend in Singapore taking a look through some of the gaming shops for me today, and he's wanting to know which games I had an interest in importing. I've remembered Gundam Breaker 3 and Super Robot Wars 5, but I'm drawing a blank on some of the other popular English supporting games you can snag over there.

Hell, any suggestions?
natsuiro highschool and sonicomi: communication with sonicomi

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

punk rebel ecks posted:

So apparently the fan subs of My Little Witch Academia are better than the Netflix translation?

The Netflix subs are bad but the dub translation is pretty good so there's that.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I don't think Fractale is very good but I can't figure out what specifically I think is bad about it.
Maybe it's just mediocre and I'm less willing to forgive mediocrity in my old age.
Meanwhile Fairy Musketeers is good.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

If I remember, the director was talking a big game about how the anime industry at the time sucked and Fractale would be different, the director being the same guy who directed the first four episodes of Lucky Star, which were so bad he was literally fired.

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
iirc Fractale was very "old man yells at cloud" thematically

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I hate that kind of thinking. People whining about the 'golden age' of anime or insisting that only certain shows/companies are worthy completely ruin things for other people. I couldn't watch anything Fate/Stay related for the longest time because of dumb fans, and I still can't bring myself to watch Gunbuster/Ace wo Nerae because I can't look at it without thinking about how many times old anime fans have brought it up when they talk about how 'Gainax was God of the golden age back when anime was actually good.'

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

sorry about your brain issues

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

sorry about your brain issues

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You should watch Gunbuster

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
get ready for my stream of extremely mediocre shows that no one remembers, with classics like, Fractale, Mystic Archives of Dantalian, and Gallilei Donna

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

All those people are right

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
About Gunbuster being really good or about Gunbuster being the last good anime made at the last point in time when anime was actually good? I'm not debating the former, and I'll watch the show and enjoy it at some point. It's the latter opinion I'm debating here.

Edit: okay Gunbuster was a bad example, I shouldn't have named a specific show. The point I'm trying to make is it's annoying anytime someone says 'all anime sucks except <insert title>'. I'm not trying to be edgy hating on a good show. I just got tired of seeing it come up in 'golden age' arguments.

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jul 31, 2017

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

gunbuster is good and old gainax was def a powerhouse. also the fate anime are mostly bad, is my understanding.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The ufotable ones are good, Deen is bad, haven't seen Apocrypha yet, refuse to acknowledge Prisma Ilya.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I want them to do Fate/Strange Fake. The Fate concept plus the author of Baccano/Durarara= awesome. They might wait until the novels are done though.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm pretty sure the director of fractale was fired from kyoani because he's a huge loving stupid weirdo and a very, very vocal one

also ufotables fate is alright but i got bored watching zero and i don't really care for the look they take with their adaptations. apocrypha's cool so far and the staff on it are pretty loving badass, it's very flashy when it needs to be in a different way that i prefer a lot

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jul 31, 2017

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Getsuya posted:

I hate that kind of thinking. People whining about the 'golden age' of anime or insisting that only certain shows/companies are worthy completely ruin things for other people. I couldn't watch anything Fate/Stay related for the longest time because of dumb fans, and I still can't bring myself to watch Gunbuster/Ace wo Nerae because I can't look at it without thinking about how many times old anime fans have brought it up when they talk about how 'Gainax was God of the golden age back when anime was actually good.'

I've already started to see people be like that about random 00s anime, so I'm looking forward to laughing at the people who will inevitably come along and say anime was only good in the 10s.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
All of these nostalgic people are easily disproven by the existence of Symphogear.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
old anime is badass, but new anime is badass too

maybe anime is just badass

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

The Colonel posted:

old anime is badass, but new anime is badass too

maybe anime is just badass

all anime owns, except for your favorite anime, which is trash

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

VostokProgram posted:

all anime owns, except for your favorite anime, which is trash

Though I don't have an anime I'd call my favorite right now, my favorite used to be Gundam Seed which, considering the amount of hate it seems to get, many people would probably say fits in to your rule very nicely.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i haven't seen much active hate for gundam seed, the one i've heard super negative things about is seed destiny

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Seed is...fine. It's okay. It's a reimagining of 0079 with added racism and a lot of melodrama, some of which actually works out all right and some of which emphatically doesn't. It mostly succeeds at the mostly humble goals it sets for itself.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Seed's character designs are asssssss

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The Destiny gundam is one of the twelve-year-old-coolest gundams, and for that I cannot hate the show.

Also SEED would have been better if Cagalli was the protagonist.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Seed's character designs are asssssss

By that you mean Xebec's in general because they all use the same design, right?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

im lieutenant quattro bajeena and this is my favorite gundam in the citadel

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Seed probably became my favorite because it was also one of my first. I went to my very first anime fest that my high school anime club threw and we watched that along with Initial D, Ai My Me Strawberry Eggs, DNAngel, Stellvia and Condor Hero. Our club had eclectic tastes.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

Seed is...fine. It's okay. It's a reimagining of 0079 with added racism and a lot of melodrama, some of which actually works out all right and some of which emphatically doesn't. It mostly succeeds at the mostly humble goals it sets for itself.

Yeah this is basically where i'm at with it too. the character designs are real poopy though, but I did enjoy fafner and it had basically the same character designs.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I will say that Strike Freedom is unironically a loving awesome Gundam design, though, and putting the biggest tool in the universe in the cockpit isn't enough to change my mind on that count.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Getsuya posted:

By that you mean Xebec's in general because they all use the same design, right?

What no it's just one designer who did those, they make a variety of stuff!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Droyer posted:

Yeah this is basically where i'm at with it too. the character designs are real poopy though, but I did enjoy fafner and it had basically the same character designs.

Majestic Prince is the best Hirai face mecha anime. I still need to track down the movie, though.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jul 31, 2017

• Locked thread