Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

gradenko_2000 posted:

Where/how can I order Fragged Empire in print? I read through the Quickstart and I am all the way on-board, but DTRPG only has it in PDF.

I got mine from their store to support them. If I remember where you live, this is the link you want https://www.modiphius.net/collections/fragged-empire/products/fragged-empire-core-book-print-and-pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks, y'all. I think I've got my RPG purchases planned out for the rest of the year, and Fragged Empires is going to cover sci-fi quite nicely.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

gradenko_2000 posted:

Thanks, y'all. I think I've got my RPG purchases planned out for the rest of the year, and Fragged Empires is going to cover sci-fi quite nicely.

I meant to suggest FE when you asked before, but I was reading on the run and forgot. Glad you like it! The introductory videos are decent too, if a bit slow-paced.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Subjunctive posted:

I meant to suggest FE when you asked before, but I was reading on the run and forgot. Glad you like it! The introductory videos are decent too, if a bit slow-paced.

My attention span can be really small when it wants to be, and I couldn't get far into reading the Core book, but the Quickstart was condensed enough that I got it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

gradenko_2000 posted:

My attention span can be really small when it wants to be, and I couldn't get far into reading the Core book, but the Quickstart was condensed enough that I got it.

There's a lot going on, I had to take a few passes at it. That layout and internal referencing though :syoon:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
There's an RPG called Prawn where you play as sealife and you can only play it in swimming pools?

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
They do Prawn LARPs at GenCon I think.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Game concept: Everyone is a Transformer. All combats are done while driving/flying/biking/whatevering along highways or cities or mountain trails or stuff like you're in Mad Max or that one season of Yu-Gi-Oh. You can transform into your robot form and hop onto another ally to switch up your abilities and firepower at the expense of letting someone else drive.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Is this real? Shut up and take my money :

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Kwyndig posted:

Is this real? Shut up and take my money :

It appears to be. http://www.rpgnow.com/m/product/217037

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Can I get a recommendation for a battlemat/playmat? I bought a Noteboard before, then gave it away to my brother, and I'd like to know if there are comparable or better options out there.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Huge fan of this + markers. You get to keep the maps you like as momentous momentos.

https://m.staples.ca/en/Staples-Quad-Ruled-Easel-Pad-24-inch-x-35-1-2-inch-1-inch-Quad/product_19312_1-CA_1_20001?sk_test=a

slap me and kiss me fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jul 28, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I have Chessex Role Playing Play Mat: Battlemat Double-Sided Reversible Mat for RPGs and Miniature Figure Games (26 in x 23 1/2 in) Squares/Hexes https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0015IQO2O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_7vUEzbYJRNF6Q in a different size, and it works quite well.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I use the chessex mats too, but you have to remember to wipe off the wet erase marker or else it'll stain the mat.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

THIS IS SERIOUS AND IMPORTANT

I'm putting a bounty on the picture of this thing I call the Suck Worm. Some associates of mine desperately want to find what the gently caress it's from and I'll buy a 20 dollars game on steam or dtrpg for anyone who gives me the correcg and legitimate source. Please tell me which RPG book this picture is from:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Plutonis posted:

I'm putting a bounty on the picture of this thing I call the Suck Worm. Some associates of mine desperately want to find what the gently caress it's from and I'll buy a 20 dollars game on steam or dtrpg for anyone who gives me the correcg and legitimate source. Please tell me which RPG book this picture is from:

It's referenced in this manga thread, but it's not clear to me if it's actually from a manga or just a shitpost.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3490956&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=65#post441639456

Why do you think it's from an RPG book?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Nuns with Guns posted:

I use the chessex mats too, but you have to remember to wipe off the wet erase marker or else it'll stain the mat.

Yeah, I've used them as well. Very handy but you do have to wipe them down with wet towels after each use.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

It's referenced in this manga thread, but it's not clear to me if it's actually from a manga or just a shitpost.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3490956&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=65#post441639456

Why do you think it's from an RPG book?

That's a troll post. It's from a RPG book because I read every manga in existence and none has that thing on it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Plutonis posted:

That's a troll post. It's from a RPG book because I read every manga in existence and none has that thing on it.

Oh boo. Sorry for the noise.

Unrelated: Spellbound Kingdoms has a new kickstarter up.

quote:

Spellbound Kingdoms: Arcana is an expansion of the core game in every way. Every facet of the game is polished and sparkling anew. There is a new lifepath character generation system that is almost a game in itself - and it can generate a character of the book's new SK race, the Broken Ones.

There are 10 new subclasses, one for each core class. The Fixer gets the Angel subclass, the Warrior gets the Templar, and Wizards get the Twister subclass.

How about dozens and dozens of new talents? Close to a hundred new alchemical and engineering items? And many more new troops, spells, monsters, weapons, buildings, vehicles, chase courses, improv games for social combat, and environment tricks.

They sent a mail out through DTRPG which...didn't include a link to the kickstarter, but I'm smarter than that: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1296045252/spellbound-kingdoms-arcana

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
The Hunt For The Suck Worm

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
My Pugmire stuff came in today and some friends are coming over to make some good dogs and possibly start a game. I'm thinking they will be requested by an ancient, crusty pug to search out and protect an ancient artifact that can be used to either bring dogs together or tear them apart. It's basically going to just be a squeaker toy.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Plutonis posted:

You are essentially asking people to comb through Chris Fields' books or something even more obscure and dumb, justifying every bad thing anyone ever said about you and Brazil.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
In MHR, when a SFX says "Activate an Opportunity" to use the SFX do you need to spend a PP?

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

No, you use it on a rolled 1 and give the player a PP IIRC.

EDIT: If it's a PC, usually you either add/step-up a Doom Dice instead of a PP or just change the activation requirement.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

That Old Tree posted:

You are essentially asking people to comb through Chris Fields' books or something even more obscure and dumb, justifying every bad thing anyone ever said about you and Brazil.

Do you know how much twenty dollars is worth in Brazil? I'm offering money I could use to buy a new car.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I was browsing random stuff on DTRPG for ??? reasons, and saw something new for Godbound, which I remembered quite liking. Let's take a looooooooook

A Reviewer posted:

Honestly, while there are a few bits of entertaining writing in this adventure, this really isn't something I could ever feel comfortable with running for ANY group. For those who might be interested in spite of this, I don't want to simply give away the plot, but I will say that the book devotes several pages to describing a serial rape which is central to the adventure.

Sine Nomine posted:

The element in question is a rework of Feng Menglon's 17th-century story "Prince Wang Burns Down Precious Lotus Monastery", from his Xingshi Hengyan. While some groups may not be comfortable with historical fiction and the outcomes those works celebrated, that's... kind of the point. The PCs are Godbound. Something terrible has happened, something also terrible is going to happen, and they have the power to change things to a better and more humane outcome. Some groups may prefer not to play an adventure where rape has been a prior ingredient to the situation, and those groups are indeed probably best off not playing this. Other groups get a great deal of enjoyment out of introducing a serial rapist and the social mores they manipulate to their own personal pantheon of divine vengeance.

Well, alright then. That was a pretty effective warning.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Yeah. I bought the adventure sight unseen because I liked Ten Buried Blades and... just lost so much energy as I read through the text.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
I'm a big Godbound fan and haaaaaaaard pass.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Pull up, Sine Nomine, pull up!

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
holy poo poo.

like, it's probably possible to make that not a terrible idea. but even crawford is not good enough to make "rape investigation" + "OSR game" worth getting into.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Mitama posted:

Yeah. I bought the adventure sight unseen because I liked Ten Buried Blades and... just lost so much energy as I read through the text.

Yyyyyep, this is exactly me. So much about the adventure is actually not terrible, and the basic premise is a clever one...a town is being wracked by deadly storms as punishment sent by "heaven," the cause of which is a magic altar that enforces a strict set of ethics established by a Made God way back when, and if the PCs can't find the cause of "heaven's displeasure" the storms will continue until the town is destroyed...but then it turns out that yep, the cause is a sorcerer using the cover of a priest of a small temple to rape people as part of his magical rites. Also another dilemma introduced into the adventure is that the victims of this rape are also considered in violation of this lovely and inflexible ethics code governing the altar for "infidelity" and not coming clean to the authorities about what happened and the PCs have to find a way to deal with that and it's just a huge fuckin mess I cannot imagine wanting to bring to the table at all.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Holy poo poo I just found out that this exists http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Shadowrun

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

no you loving didn't you liar.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

So I had a random idea today and I may try to write a short RPG designed to emulate a Magic School Bus episode. I just have to figure out how to incorporate science into game mechanics.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
I don't remember Magic School Bus too well, but I'm going to say use Dread.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

There's some appetite among a few of my friends for a more "serious" (read: not aggressively silly) game to go with the pretty-silly space RPG I'm running with Strike!. We're all enjoying that, but a couple people have never had a chance to play a campaign where people actually put effort into being in-character and having an interesting, coherent character in the first place, so it would be pretty cool to run one.

I really, really want to run Fragged Empire, but I don't really want to do two space games at the same time. Which means I want the playtest files for Fragged Aeternum/Kingdom/Seas to drop ASAP so I can run one of those. Maybe see if I could use Fragged Kingdom to run something in a setting like the new Pyre game, something with exiles in a weird, magical waste land trying to do something impossible to earn their way back home.

Waffleman_ posted:

So I had a random idea today and I may try to write a short RPG designed to emulate a Magic School Bus episode. I just have to figure out how to incorporate science into game mechanics.

Whatever the game looks like, I want to play, because that sounds like it's gonna own.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The MilHist thread veered off into how lindybeige is Not Good (TM), so that got me thinking: in recognizance of his numerous rants about D&D being "wrong", and aside from the obvious answer of Phoenix Command's Hand-to-Hand Module, which RPGs do model melee combat realistically?

Off the top of my head, I know RuneQuest was supposed to have been written with SCA in mind (?), and then there's also Riddle of Steel.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I don't think it's possible to model hand to hand combat in a way that's both realistic and fun. Mostly because real serious trying to murder each other combat is typically over as soon as one side makes an exploitable mistake, and that happens fast. Then it's all over except for the choking or the screaming or the deathly quiet of a gushing throat wound.

You really don't want a game that treats life as casually as a knife fight simulator would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Ars Magica has super lethal combat like that, where a botch on a defense roll will usually just mean instant death. On the other hand, combat isn't the focus; it's usually something to be avoided.

• Locked thread