Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
Wonder what this will look like in first person. These animations better come out by end of August, or else I am going to bitch about it on the internet even more.

https://twitter.com/PLAYERUNKNOWN/status/891907783783665664

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/163275874?t=01h29m45s

I go from top of the crates next to the 3 warehouses to the back crane. I basically watched grimmz and the other dude chase each other around and then killed grimmz when he stopped to engage as I had an easier shot on him. Other dude tried to camp me out but he was bad so I escaped and flanked him. Ended that round ~ 30ish because I looted after a fight thinking I was alone when I wasnt

El_Funko
May 25, 2003

Where did she go?

fletcher posted:

We looked up one of the dudes we were fighting during a round last night that we chicken dinnered. Turns out he was rank 51 in squads. Holy gently caress this guy is the biggest douche I have ever seen on twitch. Just listen to how hard he rages: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/163000313?t=07h48m22s (we were in the barns)

Choosing to go to those cliffs without a vehicle is... terrible? The cliffs are fine if you don't have to leave them, but they were already on the edge of the circle before they went there. They were almost certainly going to get pushed out by the circle and have to go north, which is flat open ground with no cover.

He also picked that position when they were in the middle-bottom of the safe zone, so they had the fun bonus benefit of getting shot from two separate halves of the circle.

His teammates may not have been MLG pro, but his decision making sucks and he's a huge jerk as the cherry on top.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Hamelekim posted:

Wonder what this will look like in first person. These animations better come out by end of August, or else I am going to bitch about it on the internet even more.

https://twitter.com/PLAYERUNKNOWN/status/891907783783665664

I can't wait for them sweet 'ROLL BLOCKED' moments.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

El_Funko posted:

Choosing to go to those cliffs without a vehicle is... terrible? The cliffs are fine if you don't have to leave them, but they were already on the edge of the circle before they went there. They were almost certainly going to get pushed out by the circle and have to go north, which is flat open ground with no cover.

He also picked that position when they were in the middle-bottom of the safe zone, so they had the fun bonus benefit of getting shot from two separate halves of the circle.

His teammates may not have been MLG pro, but his decision making sucks and he's a huge jerk as the cherry on top.

This guy is p.much me. Trying to get poo poo done quick instead of looting when you don't need to get and getting picked off like idiots. I mean, I like when teammates can do things on their own, but if they suck and don't keep track of time, you have to taskmaster them. I mean, his decisions didn't end up working out, but you gotta choose to do something and his buddies didn't come with any ideas and were dragging rear end the whole time. Oh, and his buddies have 2.0, 2.68 and 2.68 KDR's so they're better than pretty much all of the goons. Also they all have pretty good rankings so they're in the highest MMR every match.

VulgarandStupid fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jul 31, 2017

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Seems like those guys don't ever exit to lobby after a teammate dies early though, which is something that keeps KDR artificially low in squad games. 2.5 KDR isn't that hot either

e; a bit speculative and obviously doesn't refute the entirety of your point but still

Lex Neville fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jul 31, 2017

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

After the forth time I say we need to start moving I just start going myself. Especially late game I do not like risking the circle at all and will move as soon as I know where I need to.

El_Funko
May 25, 2003

Where did she go?

VulgarandStupid posted:

This guy is p.much me. Trying to get poo poo done quick instead of looting when you don't need to get and getting picked off like idiots. I mean, I like when teammates can do things on their own, but if they suck and don't keep track of time, you have to taskmaster them. I mean, his decisions didn't end up working out, but you gotta choose to do something and his buddies didn't come with any ideas and were dragging rear end the whole time. Oh, and his buddies have 2.0, 2.68 and 2.68 KDR's so they're better than pretty much all of the goons. Also they all have pretty good rankings so they're in the highest MMR every match.

Giving suggestions and/or orders is fine, not everyone remembers all the important things going on all the time. I like it when someone calls out that the blue is going to move in X seconds, or why X position might be better than Y, etc. That's all good.

But in regards to his positioning call, I watched the VOD again and checked the circles in that video, and I don't hate his call as much as I first did. Here's the circle where the timestamp started:

Those cliffs were actually a pretty central spot to move to in that first circle, in terms of trying to place the team with as little distance to run to future circles. My problem with it is still that he's running into the center of the circle over relatively flat open ground, they'll have to defend from multiple angles, and if the circle forces them to leave the cliffs they're completely boned.

I'd much rather push north from the yellow houses they started at, into the forrested hill so they have some hard tree cover, and can shoot at people moving towards them from the west to get to the safe zone (like the team at the bridge buildings who's firing on them at the start). They still have the option to leave from the forrest and get to the cliffs, or they can push north over the road and use the hills there if the future circles go that way. I feel like having those options available is better than just "let's go to cliffs and hope we don't roll a hard six on the circle".

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

I think it's just generally an issue of people coming from CS:GO and thinking that being a good shot will win out every time.
But that isn't the case in PUBG, sometimes the best call is to not take the shot, sometimes it's to be a bush, sometimes it's to drive into and storm a building. It's basically why it's so popular; there's a lot of legit ways to play that will get you pretty far that isn't just shooting a dude extremely well (although it's probably the strongest contender at improving your game).
It's interesting noticing a lot of dudes that get extremely riled up over this aspect of it are people coming from CS:GO(ish) like games where it's 1 team vs 1 team, gunplay only/heavy. The thought of being outplayed by someone who can't 'outshoot' them seems infuriating.

Fishbus fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jul 31, 2017

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
Yeah watching that vod there is no reason for them to be looting those tiny houses with nothing in them while action is happening around them. They are too late into the game to worry about attachments and minor meds, they seemed like they had enough gear to strictly find kills and move towards the circle. They were also slow to realize where the enemy was shooting from even though it was repeated on comms.

That guy is a douche tho.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

El_Funko posted:

Giving suggestions and/or orders is fine, not everyone remembers all the important things going on all the time. I like it when someone calls out that the blue is going to move in X seconds, or why X position might be better than Y, etc. That's all good.

But in regards to his positioning call, I watched the VOD again and checked the circles in that video, and I don't hate his call as much as I first did. Here's the circle where the timestamp started:

Those cliffs were actually a pretty central spot to move to in that first circle, in terms of trying to place the team with as little distance to run to future circles. My problem with it is still that he's running into the center of the circle over relatively flat open ground, they'll have to defend from multiple angles, and if the circle forces them to leave the cliffs they're completely boned.

I'd much rather push north from the yellow houses they started at, into the forrested hill so they have some hard tree cover, and can shoot at people moving towards them from the west to get to the safe zone (like the team at the bridge buildings who's firing on them at the start). They still have the option to leave from the forrest and get to the cliffs, or they can push north over the road and use the hills there if the future circles go that way. I feel like having those options available is better than just "let's go to cliffs and hope we don't roll a hard six on the circle".

The cliffs are a central spot, yes, but he did exactly the opposite of what he said was so important: set yourself up for later circles. He chose a position that was somewhat alright for the time being, but impossible to move from - especially after firing. Staying on the hill with the trees would have been risky too, because having to move east from there (which was pretty likely) would have caused a similar situation.

They should have doubled down on either pushing north early - which gives the safest route east - or jump down in the water like his buddy ended up doing but then much earlier, and to scale the cliffs once again at the bottom of the revive timer in that screenshot. That spot has amazing cover and allows for a relatively safe trek east as well, but the downsides are that it sucks balls to have to go north afterwards and if there's a team there that sees you jump in the water you're hosed. In my opinion, moving early and clockwise along the new circle, focusing on teams on the outside moving in, would have been by far the best call. The W-NW-N edge of the new circle would very likely end up swarming with squads that arrived late, though, so I don't think staying on the hill with the trees would allow for a later move north.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
I hated this game the first few times I played and ended up refunding, was on holiday last week so gave it another chance. Holy poo poo it gets intense. Im terrible, 6 kills in 25 games but I'm not sure any videogame has made me feel so on edge.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I don't know what to do mid-game when I'm already in the middle of the second circle in a city. Seems like everyone just sets up shop inside a house and just waits until the circle forces them to move.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
In my experience that depends on which you find more fun: sitting in a bathroom waiting for someone to open the door or jumping on a motorbike and seeing how many people you can get to shoot at you in a minute.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

fletcher posted:

Would there be any ways for players to abuse a reconnect system? I can't think of any.

nope.

El_Funko
May 25, 2003

Where did she go?
Alternatively, grab that dirt bike and chase some care package drops! Big money, big prizes, I love it!

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Late game circles rarely are around the big cities. Even if it's central in the circle start getting ready to go. Or stay at the edge and try to pick off people moving through the country side

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
The coolest circle I ever had closed in on North Pochinki and closed in on the little hill outside the church right next to the 2 story. They should close nearish cities more imo.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

fletcher posted:

Would there be any ways for players to abuse a reconnect system? I can't think of any.

It depends on if your character vanishes from the server or not. If you're just stationary until you reconnect and you might die, then that would be fine. If you vanish or are invulnerable when you're disconnected then you're going to run into the problem DayZ had with people combat d/c'ing to avoid dying.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

If they are working on an urban map like has been said that should lead to some wild final circles

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

If they are working on an urban map like has been said that should lead to some wild final circles

Maps I'd like to see include dense jungle where there aren't many long-range sightlines and an actual city with like concrete everywhere and poo poo.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

ILL Machina posted:

Speaking of shotguns, an old arma bug seems to be in place where, if you have the 2-shot shotty, you can shoot the first shot, then reload, then quickly shoot three bullets instead of two. Easy to try on the gun island in loading.

Also with the 2-shot, if you holster it in the middle of reloading you'll put it on your back in the cracked position like a giant boomerang. When you pull it back out again its state will be all hosed up and you need to mess with it before you can continue reloading or shooting.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Shima Honnou posted:

Maps I'd like to see include dense jungle where there aren't many long-range sightlines and an actual city with like concrete everywhere and poo poo.

:yeah: I have fun when I go Solid Snake in some games and these would be good

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I'm a big fan of stuff like this. I just have to remember to 'do' it, just like the UAZ stuff.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Good soup! posted:

:yeah: I have fun when I go Solid Snake in some games and these would be good

Get down! Shut up!

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Other than large houses having more loot than small houses, is loot distributed in any particular way that I should know about? Like, do certain types of houses or areas have better spawns?

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Bold Robot posted:

Other than large houses having more loot than small houses, is loot distributed in any particular way that I should know about? Like, do certain types of houses or areas have better spawns?

Read the OP.

Waltchelg
Jan 21, 2009

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I personally can't stand city fights. Final circles around buildings come down to whichever team/person is in the house it shrinks to wins. Even early game fights in cities are pretty awful just due to third person prone being incredibly good.

My squad and I just don't even bother taking fights in south george anymore because the fights take too long because noone peeks. We just half-rear end loot the place and drive away... taking the fights end up crippling us more even if we win. My opinion of all of this might change with 1pp though so there's hope for that.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

mcvey posted:

Get down! Shut up!

A Metal Gear style holdup system and CQC would make this the game of the decade.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

John DiFool posted:

A Metal Gear style holdup system and CQC would make this the game of the decade.
Oh drat - if you could grab someone and take them hostage, their team might have actual incentive to let you go. I'd love for more ad-hoc communication between squads and that'd certainly be one way to do it.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Pretty good player count this weekend.

https://twitter.com/PLAYERUNKNOWN/status/891666676772610048

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

I don't see anything in the OP regarding the question, other than "these areas have more buildings and thus a better raw chance of getting something"

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Evilreaver posted:

I don't see anything in the OP regarding the question, other than "these areas have more buildings and thus a better raw chance of getting something"
There's a map in there that shows loot density by region, plus some places with "military-level" loot and places where vehicles spawn. I mean, I don't know why the guy above couldn't have just said that, but you know....

edit:

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Evilreaver posted:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

There's a map in there that shows loot density by region, plus some places with "military-level" loot and places where vehicles spawn. I mean, I don't know why the guy above couldn't have just said that, but you know....

Because "read the OP" gets him to the information without me having to spell it out after it's been spelled out 150 times in this thread.

Riot Carol Danvers fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jul 31, 2017

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

The best part of your smarmy answer is not helping to include the picture until after he did it

matryx
Jul 22, 2005

I think I just had an evilgasm...
Those maps are horribly out of date. Loot is way way more random now.
You're far better off looting somewhere with quantity to find your quality, than just say dropping on tunnels or crater to bag some arms.

Of course, tunnels/crater are still fantastic if you know the areas - just don't expect to find a tricked out M4 and Kar, mil-vest and helmet each time.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

The best part of your smarmy answer is not helping to include the picture until after he did it

Screwed over by editing so fast as to not include a timestamp and prove my innocence. Zounds!!

Raiding the tunnels is super fun and it'd be cool if there were an overlaid map of them so you could know whether or not there was an exit within the circle.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Who (i.e. PUBG or Discord) has to do a thing to make the overlay work in this game? I just need to know in which direction to vent my ire.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Evilreaver posted:

For the most part, it's size although there are certain houses where you'll find a lot more loot spawns (the duplex with a staircase at the front door comes to mind).

Anectdotally? There are certain buildings which seem to have a higher chance of spawning guns, which is important for a hot drop. The cafes with big open fronts almost always have guns, in my experience. You'll usually find 1 gun at least on top of a group of shipping crates. Don't go to the open warehouses for guns; either they have too few spawn locations or don't have an increased chance for guns. I've had too many times where I run through 2 warehouses and don't find any guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Yeah the cafes are excellent loot spots. If I'm landing in Severny or Mylta or something they are almost always one of my first stops.

• Locked thread