Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

aleksendr posted:

But in SC case the art direction and tone is all over the place. You get your "rusty bucket of bolt" feeling from some ships like the terrapin or starlancer but they fly in the same galaxy than the super advanced looking stealth bomber and the alien chinese flying fish.
Tachyon The Fringe had this. One side in the campaign had you flying rugged ex-mining all-purpose buckets, while the other gave you poncey sleek specialized ships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

toanoradian posted:

Can someone explain what "delta patcher/ing" is? From Tippis's post I get that it's a thing CIG shouldn't do because they're in their rapidly changing alpha phase, and the security offered by PAK files is wholly superfluous to prevent cheating(?) and CIG should use "rsync" instead. So what is deltapatch and when is it okay to do? Googling the term lead to SC videos and something about hacking roms.

Also can you really do it in two weeks

I believe this will answer all of your questions

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Meridian posted:

Honestly the battles aren't the part I'm worried about. Obviously I am sure there is a lot of nuance and control tricks I need to learn, but with there being a pause button micro isn't that big of a deal and I understand the basic concepts for the most part. The campaign map though. :psyduck:

Even in the beginning I'm either trying to do things way too fast, or way too slow and I am not really sure which one it is.

Okay cool, again, really do recommend Bretonnia in that case. It's a far more guided experience. Your research helps you confederate with your fellow bretonnians in the mid game.

The way that I play the campaign is to amass a good power base that can support 3-5 army stacks, and then fight the invading chaos forces because gently caress those guys for thinking they're hot poo poo.

Mr.Tophat fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jul 31, 2017

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

MinorInconvenience posted:

False equivalence is false.

So is this true or just a fact?

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Criminal lawyer or criminal, lawyer. Yeah. No difference.

I adore the first conversation between PewPew95 and CAF. It's almsot like an old Laurel and Hardy vaudeville act.

Colostomy Bag posted:

So is this true or just a fact?

Yes.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

MinorInconvenience posted:

I adore the first conversation between PewPew95 and CAF. It's almsot like an old Laurel and Hardy vaudeville act.

Yes.

That PewPew guy is really, really angry about video games.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Toops posted:

What's most amazing to me at this point is how both sides, the skeptics and the believers, operate with a very similar thought process. We have faith that "things are finally starting to fall apart," and they have faith that "things are finally starting to come together." The reality is, neither is true. We've been living identical, diametrically opposed circle jerks for literal years, the one balancing the other in an objectively autistic dance.

But the most impressive thing about Star Citizen is that nothing ever happens. Nothing. It neither fails nor succeeds. It neither lives nor dies. It's just a thing that's there, like a hill. It serves no purpose, it has no intrinsic value and, much like the rest of this universe, the only meaning to be found comes from within. All of your experiences, beliefs, desires, and predispositions get tacked on like so many sticky-notes and I can't fight the suspicion that if Star Citizen is anything, it's a mirror.

Do you like what you see?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Star Citizen: Tripping the Grift

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Beet Wagon with the excellent customer service.

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Criminal lawyer or criminal, lawyer. Yeah. No difference.

Meridian posted:

That PewPew guy is really, really angry about video games.

Agreed, but I think what makes it truly special is more than just the anger. It is the practically pavlovian response PewPew has to Cats' postings. He must rationally realize he is being trolled, but is irresistibly compelled to respond.

The only other possibility is that both PewPew and Cats are troll-bots locked in an infinite loop.

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

G0RF posted:

The fans will never know, right?

Well, this could not have been foreseen early on the project, but it turns out that the relevant question is not whether the backers will know, but rather whether the backers will care. So far the answer is no. I've known rubber stamps with more spine.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
The online diff tool we use to laugh at the schedule reports is more advanced than any patching tool cig uses.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/BoredGamerUK/status/892063230268461056

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

SelenicMartian posted:

Tachyon The Fringe had this. One side in the campaign had you flying rugged ex-mining all-purpose buckets, while the other gave you poncey sleek specialized ships.

True, but once you picked a side you got to fly that side and that side only, so the ships in your hangar and your wing and fleet, up to the capital vessels, would be consistent with each other in tone and visuals.

This would also mean the enemy had a distinctive looks and its own color scheme (silver with blue highlights sleek ships for the corps, rust with yellow accents "Armor bolted on a civilian frame" looks for the miners) helping the player identifiy targets in a fight. You also picked between 2 playstyle : Fast and fragile with the corps, durable and heavier gunned with the miners (even if each hull never wandered really far from a central baseline)

E:D does the same thing. You can fly both factions but not even the drunkest of commander would mistake a Gutamaya ships for a Core Dynamics one.

in SC, aside from a few iconic models and the racing ships everything is differents shades of generic grey/black and looks like a kitbashed random model. You go from rounded to angular to half and half within the same manufacturer (if not the same ship) and no line have a "distinct" feature (aside from the cargo hulls A-E, its main feature being "not in game")

aleksendr fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jul 31, 2017

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Xarbala posted:

American Satan is Hercule

:golfclap:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Meridian posted:

Beet Wagon with the excellent customer service.

Consider me your Hate-Sub Concierge.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Posted in r/OutOfTheLoop

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Beet Wagon posted:

Consider me your Hate-Sub Concierge.

That new avatar is great.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Beet Wagon posted:

Funnily enough, noted bad FPS Titanfall 2 has a functioning hologram gadget that replicates whatever movement the player was doing when he activated it, includes some things like basic obstacle avoidance, and is insanely fun to trick people with.

e: gently caress it, here's holograms in Titanfall 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68R1ijUTvyM

I'm not sure if you're joking but Titanfall 2 was fine.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Meridian posted:

Hello Space Friends! Is anybody in here good/decent at Total War: Warhams? I would like to learn how to play the game but I have no idea what I'm doing. I just want to purge the xenos Greenskin filth. :black101:

I'm okay at other Total Wars but am getting Warhams 2: The Reckoning when it comes out. I charge a rather small fee for my services, $5 per hour or a starter pack per day.

That or stream and I'll yell at you from the chat.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Polish Avenger posted:

I'm not sure if you're joking but Titanfall 2 was fine.

I am, I love Titanfall 2 in basically every way. We were comparing it to Star Marine a while ago and the joke was that SM was way better cause it was more tacticool.

Meridian posted:

That new avatar is great.

Thanks. The look in his eyes is going to keep me warm through the winter months.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I'm okay at other Total Wars but am getting Warhams 2: The Reckoning when it comes out. I charge a rather small fee for my services, $5 per hour or a starter pack per day.

That or stream and I'll yell at you from the chat.

Please don't troll me in my own twitch stream. Namaste.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Beet Wagon posted:

Wow Titanfall 2 looks fun as gently caress.

I haven't played FPS's since the days of "Okay we're all making Call Of Duty now", looks like the industry is back to trying to be fun again.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

hello thread

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

How silly.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Woah!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
FactsAreUseless stopping the spread of FUD

You heard it here first folks!

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I just wanted to trick Jobbo into making a useless thread, sorry for the trouble everyone!

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Crazypoops posted:

Wow Titanfall 2 looks fun as gently caress.

I haven't played FPS's since the days of "Okay we're all making Call Of Duty now", looks like the industry is back to trying to be fun again.

did you somehow miss doom 2016 or the new wolfenstein games? cuz they fukken own so hard

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Beet Wagon posted:

I just wanted to trick Jobbo into making a useless thread, sorry for the trouble everyone!

Everyone should be a bit more like CIG. Then they'd make useless things without the need for trickery.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Beet Wagon posted:

:argh:

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
ban jobbo_fett for not getting my delta force patcher joke

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

Beet Wagon posted:

Lol, I forgot about that.

Star Marine Hologram, taken from game files:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNBSeb_215A&t=114s

Also, for comedy's sake, Chris unsuccessfully trying to get one of his players to use the hologram for like two minutes during the Star Marine demo in 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfHoLF8oJFc&t=191s

Funnily enough, noted bad FPS Titanfall 2 has a functioning hologram gadget that replicates whatever movement the player was doing when he activated it, includes some things like basic obstacle avoidance, and is insanely fun to trick people with.

I think Duke Nukem 3D had this feature in like 1996 or something. Chris really is stuck in the 90s.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Space Crabs posted:

ban jobbo_fett for not getting my delta force patcher joke

I don't validate trolls spreading FUD :colbert:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Ramadu posted:

did you somehow miss doom 2016 or the new wolfenstein games? cuz they fukken own so hard

This they do.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Heh, it's cool how us non-developer types explain things and while different end up to the same ultimate conclusion: This game is hosed.

Ignore the wishlist and look at what they have, and some of it is the quality of an alpha in its first year. Game is uber-hosed.

Even better, they've gone from promising a release a month to releasing a patch a year, mainly because apparently people weren't seeing the progress. They're pinning a _lot_, if not everything, on 3.0.

Admiral Snackbar
Mar 13, 2006

OUR SNEEZE SHIELDS CANNOT REPEL A HUNGER OF THAT MAGNITUDE
A Citizen's inner voice singing to Donglick Schmarm

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

I'm actually kind of impressed how BoredGamer manages to crank out several hours of youtube content every week reporting on the latest goings on in the 'verse.

He's breath-takingly gullible, but he manages to come across as 'not literally insane' which is why his stuff stands out from the pack I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

I can't be assed to post on reddit. Will someone tell PewPew "Nice meltdown" for me?