Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
My favorite tournament moment was when me and a friend organised our first and only tournament in 4th ed. A notorious local fuckwit was running a 200+ model count tyranid army and he got matched against his younger brother who was running IG Armoured company in the last game. Fuckwit won a couple of games of the tournament simply by being unable to complete all the turns of the game and after the tournament I found he he refused to let people help him with moving his miniatures.

So he plays his younger brother and gets loving annihilated by turn 5 and he is just cracking the shits big time, constantly calling us over to verify really basic rules. This guy was the dorm master at a boarding school and thought he was boss man of everything.

End of match, tallying up sportsmanship points and Fuckwit gives his own brother a zero for sports. I pulled him aside and asked why and he claimed he cheated and had an illegal, cheesy list. The armoured company list was actually weak as gently caress, legal and got stomped multiple times by other players, it was just a lovely match up for Fuckwit.

End of the tourney when announcing best sports we also mentioned who had the lowest sportsmanship scores and of course it was Fuckwit. We wouldn't have have announced the score for lowest, that fact would be in the results and tallies we released after the tournament but gently caress that guy.

He then started his own club and the 30 year old would only play with high school kids in his boarding dorms after that.

Edit- I just remember that his excuse for not letting people move his models was because he paid to have his army painted and didn't want it damaged. He did indeed pay to have it painted, 50c a model by the kids boarding in his dorm, and they looked like poo poo.

Big Willy Style fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jul 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

That is a spectacular meltdown. Good work.

Sometimes I feel sad for the guys who so clearly have nothing else in their life except for winning at toy soldiers, then I remember they're usually gigantic dickheads and I don't feel so bad any more.

e: Not a dickhead but a funny one, this guy I played at an escalation tournament in the final game (2000pts). He was running horde Orks and he'd had a good day in a fairly weak field, and he was clearly a big fish in a small pond at his local club. This guy kept talking up how many Orks he had and how hard they hit in combat and how he had x and y and z and no-one had ever been able to deal with all of it etc. etc.

I had an absolutely vicious Guard list which he clearly had never seen anything like with, among other things, shitloads of heavy flamers. I tabled him (or as good as, I think there were like 3 Boyz hiding in cover somewhere) and the poor guy looked distraught.

Living Image fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jul 31, 2017

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

One time I beat a guy so badly he just left and never came back.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Corrode posted:

That is a spectacular meltdown. Good work.

Sometimes I feel sad for the guys who so clearly have nothing else in their life except for winning at toy soldiers, then I remember they're usually gigantic dickheads and I don't feel so bad any more.

e: Not a dickhead but a funny one, this guy I played at an escalation tournament in the final game (2000pts). He was running horde Orks and he'd had a good day in a fairly weak field, and he was clearly a big fish in a small pond at his local club. This guy kept talking up how many Orks he had and how hard they hit in combat and how he had x and y and z and no-one had ever been able to deal with all of it etc. etc.

I had an absolutely vicious Guard list which he clearly had never seen anything like with, among other things, shitloads of heavy flamers. I tabled him (or as good as, I think there were like 3 Boyz hiding in cover somewhere) and the poor guy looked distraught.

I hope you leaned over the table and whispered to him "Where is your Gork now?"

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jul 31, 2017

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
He then subsequently punched him in the face and said he follows Mork.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Deptfordx posted:

I only wish I'd had the presence of mind to do this.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

goose willis posted:

Everything I've ever heard about tournaments and the people that participate in them makes me really want to stay the gently caress away from them

The one tournament I played in was great. The guys were super nice, but my AdMech force got loving annihilated two games in a row, and once I had to pick up half my army by turn 2 because of 3 conversion beamers just wrecking my poo poo. I'm glad templates are gone.

I ended up just conceding the last game.

panascope posted:

Oh poo poo, was it me?

Deptfordx posted:

:master:

Zuul the Cat fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jul 31, 2017

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I used to think 40k in particular had something about it that attracted the worst of the worst gamers. Now I think its just that when you're the biggest game around and the default choice, you will get the worst examples just on average.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

JoshTheStampede posted:

I used to think 40k in particular had something about it that attracted the worst of the worst gamers. Now I think its just that when you're the biggest game around and the default choice, you will get the worst examples just on average.

Pretty much this.

From personal experience though, no game has a greater average of twats than Warmahordes does.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

SteelMentor posted:

Pretty much this.

From personal experience though, no game has a greater average of twats than Warmahordes does.

This is true. The game intentionally fosters a culture of tournament-level precise dickery that has always pushed me away. I think the presence of that same culture is what has pushed me away from Guildball, even if they players are nicer.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

JoshTheStampede posted:

This is true. The game intentionally fosters a culture of tournament-level precise dickery that has always pushed me away. I think the presence of that same culture is what has pushed me away from Guildball, even if they players are nicer.

Exactly what's preventing me from getting back into Guildball, the only group that plays it around here is the local Warmahordes scene and I'd rather gnaw my own leg off than spend five minutes willingly with that gang of tryhards, neckbeards and pedos.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

The only event I've really been involved with was a narrative campaign in 5th ed up at Warhammer World, and I had a blast. Highlight was the last game, which was a 4v4 with 1000 points each. We were the bottom table with one guy on our team having played since 2nd and coming along for a laugh bringing his old Ultramarines. His two 6 man razorback squads with no power weapons took out 10 bloodletters in combat, much to the dismay/amusement of the Daemon player opposite, who clearly couldn't stand for that kind of beating and dropped down his Bloodcrushers to finish off the Tactical Squad. What remained of the Tactical Squad charged and pushed their poo poo in, with only the sergeant left.

The Ultramarine player on my team then decided he didn't like being allied with Necrons (our team was 3 marine players and my Necron army) and promptly charged my C'tan in our assault phase. We agreed if he killed my C'tan we'd get the VP but if not, our opponents would. Unsurprisingly he got his rear end kicked but it was a great moment that summed up the whole weekend.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

panascope posted:

I heard it was so badly that he even had to move to a different city.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
In 6th Ed, the TO's wife couldn't believe that the only decent Ork anti-armor (Deathrolla) would just land hits when my Battlewagon charged her panzee floaty-tank. :orks: She spent like 20-30 minutes looking for some obscure ruling on a 4th or 5th ed similar situation to determine whether her tank's save was for the whole shebang or per-hit, and at some point the TO was just like, "We need to move on and you need to stop acting like such a bitch, honey." Warp Spiders ate the thing next turn anyway, and she beat me by a point. I landed best painted for some boyz, lootas, and tanks.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I once played some git allegedly called Hail Tim and insisted that you say the entire thing in a over-dramatic way when you tried to get his attention.

He played a 3 Heldrake list with Cultist spam which looked like he'd painted his army by dumping several pots of enamel on each poor model and was generally just a twat about everything.

Twice I had to call over a judge because he spotted someone he knew across the gaming hall and ran off to go glomp them, or to go awkwardly hit on the two girls selling mangy neon-coloured wolf-tails by the vendors corner.

All in all a poo poo game, though the look on his face when a plucky little cultist on my side smashed his last Heldrake out of the sky with a Quad-Autocannon was priceless.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/07/31/legion-focus-emperors-children

So for the emperors children they always strike first in melee, and when charged you alternate between chargers and their stuff like regular melee before getting to everything else.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Also Possessed get an extra wound, and they have a psychic power which buffs a unit with 5+ FNP. Plus for 2CP one of your units can shoot twice in the shooting phase.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
I picked up a box of scout snipers as an impulse buy at the shop and now I'm kinda tempted to get telion for those mortal wounds on a 5+ for the squad.

E: ah wait never mind, mis-read, telions just to hit.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
This EC poo poo looks awesome. Now we just need a noise marine resculpt and I can go all in on them. Always wanted to do a noise marine list.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

The most important release coming in August:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

quote:

If you’re wandering where the Death Guard and Thousand Sons are, don’t panic! Both these armies are getting codexes of their own.

:raise:

GW really is pushing the greed with all these poo poo tons of indexes and codexes. Rather than make the rules cheaper and focus on the models, they are doubling down on charging an arm and a leg to get the full playable rules. Jesus Christ.

quote:

Emperor's Children specific Slaanesh psyker power:

If manifest, target slaanesh heretic astartes gains 5+ FNP.

I mean, that's good but like holy poo poo is it boring.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 31, 2017

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Zaphod42 posted:

GW really is pushing the greed with all these poo poo tons of indexes and codexes. Rather than make the rules cheaper and focus on the models, they are doubling down on charging an arm and a leg to get the full playable rules. Jesus Christ.

I mean, that's good but like holy poo poo is it boring.

But you see, the power has a Slaaneshi name instead of just calling it FNP so it's a good mechanic

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Zaphod42 posted:

Hey look, a Zaphod42 post that is just mewling shite about evil GW. Fresh.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
poo poo, how long have people been asking for possessed to get two wounds? Now they might finally be the babby Gal Vorbak they should have been all along. They probably still have random attacks though and that mechanic just sucks.

ijyt posted:

:hb::hf::hb:

Zaphod42 posted:

You act like this is anything new. They've been pulling this poo poo for forever, it's just this time they're branching out to Chaos Marines. At least they expanded the Thousand Sons range and seem to be doing something similar for the Death Guard. It'll still be a reskin of the CSM book, but I think they'll have some pretty drastically different options. You know, along the lines of Blood Angels, Dark Angels, and Space Wolves. A Death Guard or Thousand Sons player won't need the regular Chaos Marine book to play their army.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
how dare he criticise gw

edit: its ok because they've done this before too

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Pierzak posted:

The shoulderpad color scheme looks Nazi as gently caress, especially with black armor, is it intentional?

It's the official assault scheme which I didn't really catch until after... But the sergeant is a black guy, which hopefully stops them from telegraphing that I want to engage in clean wehrmacht fantasies or discuss the "good stuff Hitler did."

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

ijyt posted:

Good, this is awesome as hell. I just bought a set of 30 human skulls to add to my bases. I DON'T HAVE ENOUGH SKULLS.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Soulfucker posted:

how dare he criticise gw

Almost all he ever does here is poo poo his pants and smear it all over his keyboard. It's not that he is criticising GW, it is that he's doing it yet again and his criticism is asinine.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Lets be fair, the codex thing is kind of annoying. The index pricing had me hoping we'd get away from throwing down 50 dollars each time someone wanted to try a new army. Especially when the Index (the regularly FAQ'd and errata'd Index) having all these data sheets already somewhat devalues the codex and any new releases also come with their sheets. If you were paying $50 for 8th edition rules in totality that'd be one thing, but $50 dollars for what amounts to chapter tactics, stratagems, and psyker powers is a lot iffier. You could put that on an index card, I'm fairly sure.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Soulfucker posted:

how dare he criticise gw

lol thanks dude

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Almost all he ever does here is poo poo his pants and smear it all over his keyboard. It's not that he is criticising GW, it is that he's doing it yet again and his criticism is asinine.

Dude can you loving relax? Look at my post history that isn't even half of what I post about ITT. Calm your poo poo.

The Bee posted:

Lets be fair, the codex thing is kind of annoying. The index pricing had me hoping we'd get away from throwing down 50 dollars each time someone wanted to try a new army. Especially when the Index (the regularly FAQ'd and errata'd Index) having all these data sheets already somewhat devalues the codex and any new releases also come with their sheets. If you were paying $50 for 8th edition rules in totality that'd be one thing, but $50 dollars for what amounts to chapter tactics, stratagems, and psyker powers is a lot iffier. You could put that on an index card, I'm fairly sure.

They should be moving towards free rules and having more of it online so they can update things faster for balance, and get new players into the game. Having to buy multiple books creates a huge barrier to entry into the hobby that I know intimidates lots of people who might otherwise pick up a unit and start painting. And having to buy a new codex every year or few months to stay competitive is frustrating.

Not to mention this all exacerbates the problem where your opponent has lots of abilities you've never heard of unless you're willing to buy every codex they release, which is prohibitively expensive.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jul 31, 2017

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

But you see, everyone should get more stuff, and also it should cost less, and anything else is GW GREED

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

I simultaneously like GW and think they're retarded and bad. Am I allowed to post?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Hixson posted:

I simultaneously like GW and think they're retarded and bad. Am I allowed to post?

Apparently not :smith:

post anyways gently caress them :justpost:

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Safety Factor posted:

poo poo, how long have people been asking for possessed to get two wounds? Now they might finally be the babby Gal Vorbak they should have been all along. They probably still have random attacks though and that mechanic just sucks.

I've a 10 man squad of Possessed that I've literally never used. 2 wounds would be tempting but random attacks is still a deal breaker for me. I really hate that whole mechanic, Obliterators now having stupid random gun stats equally pisses me off.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Corrode posted:

But you see, everyone should get more stuff, and also it should cost less, and anything else is GW GREED

I mean, kind of? GW tends to say they're doing something to lower costs, and then keep costs the same or even raise them. Finecast? Prices stayed even. Plastic? Prices stayed even. Monopose hero units with less options? $35 for a single Captain. I think it's important rule writers are paid for their rules and model makers are paid for their models, but GW has always been the most expensive end of the hobby and they don't always seem too eager to change that fact.

I'm hoping their new focus on online errata and quick rule updates is going to help with that on the rule end of things, at least. I'm not thrilled about $50 codices instead of say, $25 ones, but if those codices stay relevant for all of 8th and are screened for typos and balance alike GW is already miles ahead of where they were in the past.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

The Bee posted:

I mean, kind of? GW tends to say they're doing something to lower costs, and then keep costs the same or even raise them. Finecast? Prices stayed even. Plastic? Prices stayed even. Monopose hero units with less options? $35 for a single Captain. I think it's important rule writers are paid for their rules and model makers are paid for their models, but GW has always been the most expensive end of the hobby and they don't always seem too eager to change that fact.

I'm hoping their new focus on online errata and quick rule updates is going to help with that on the rule end of things, at least. I'm not thrilled about $50 codices instead of say, $25 ones, but if those codices stay relevant for all of 8th and are screened for typos and balance alike GW is already miles ahead of where they were in the past.

Do they actually say they are doing things to lower costs, or do we as players just assume thats the explanation?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Lower their costs not ours

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Hixson posted:

I simultaneously like GW and think they're bad

same

The Bee posted:

As long as they're hardcover I get why they're $50. I'd rather have softcover $25 books, though.

I love the rapid FAQs, errata, and updates though.

Those skulls are loving rad and I'm going to buy at least one box of them.

Artum posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/07/31/legion-focus-emperors-children

So for the emperors children they always strike first in melee, and when charged you alternate between chargers and their stuff like regular melee before getting to everything else.

All of this looks real good to me.

Also today on Atia's Blog, someone posted a bunch of info on the other legion rules pulled from the upcoming White Dwarf:

- Night Lords: -1 to Ld for each NL unit with 6" (supposedly stacks)
- Iron Warriors: Some bonus vs. units in cover, bonus while being shot in cover
- Word Bearers: Re-roll Morale tests
- Black Legion: +1 Ld, bonus for Advancing and shooting
- World Eaters: Auto pass morale checks while in melee
- Alpha Legion: Infiltrate/deep strike units more than 12" away from enemy units

And apparently the NL strategem gives shooting attacks against them -1 to hit

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Serotonin posted:

Lower their costs not ours

Exactly. No company lowers costs so that they can lower prices, unless there's significant competition which means they need to lower prices to survive. Whenever GW talks about lowering their costs, it's in investor reports, and the intended audience for those is shareholders looking to see their wealth is being maximised, not gamers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I mean, I would love it if 40k moved towards free rules like many other game companies do. I play Infinity and Malifaux and the rules there are either free or all in one book/come with models. Its great. I just don't expect them to do that since they've never hinted they would and they seem to like their business model. And its expensive to play but obviously here I am so its not too expensive for me to deal with.