Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
The Last Guardian. A fantastic concept but it occasionally felt like it was completely wasting my time and it put me right off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

credburn posted:

Man, The Last Guardian really is the most awesome thing about 1/3 of the time it wants to be. The other 2/3 is like hitting my head against a wall. Like, for instance, this situation:
Its the curse of adventure/puzzle games since Space Quest 1 or whatever: you could be doing the completely wrong thing or you could be doing the right thing in general but not in the incredibly precise way the creators envisioned and you'd never know the difference.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Since text adventures.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

To enjoy TLG you kind of have to go in with the mindset that you are operating on the games time and not your own, and I think it's mostly better for it. You really have to be in the right headspace and it all makes sense and works imo. That said some frustrating janky bullshit will happen at least a few times. It's not perfect, but by the end I think it was probably still one of the best, most memorable games I have ever played.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I vastly prefer 'charging' bows by holding the button. Rapid firing bows gives me this mental image of someone just drawing the bow a foot and letting the arrow fall to the ground.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
What if you did... both?

http://i.imgur.com/ta956pB.gifv
(why is the only existing gif of tenfold flurry from Dragon's Dogma ant-sized)

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I believe it was Fable 2 where your bullets shot harder when you held down the trigger longer.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

What if you did... both?

http://i.imgur.com/ta956pB.gifv
(why is the only existing gif of tenfold flurry from Dragon's Dogma ant-sized)
Horizon comes close but this is still the gold standard for archery in games I think.

I'm gonna play the poo poo out of DD when it comes out on the PS4 even though I have like 350 hours in it between the two versions.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Is the Nier: Automata DLC just 3 costumes, 3 arenas, and 2 boss fights? Doesn't seem worth it for that price.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I loved DD. I think it has very apparent weaknesses but there's something...genuine and earnest about it. The pawn chatter would have driven me nuts in any other game but every time I heard 'Wolves come in packs!' I was all, 'Oh you ☺️'.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Having just ranted about The Last Guardian, I've since beaten it and want to just say it's the most beautifully directed piece of interactive cinema I've ever seen. Everybody should play this.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

But is it also a good game?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

John F Bennett posted:

But is it also a good game?

Why would you ask this question you obviously don't appreciate ART

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

John F Bennett posted:

I believe it was Fable 2 where your bullets shot harder when you held down the trigger longer.

Yeah Fable 2 and 3 had Flourishes that manifested as charge shots for guns. Sometimes you would get neat little cinematic based on context.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

My PS4 shat the bed last night. Was watching GOT on the HBO GO app and the wifi on the system decided to cut out. Has happened before, so I reset my router/modem like I usually do, but that didn't fix the problem. It still says the signal is too weak. Put it right next to the router, same problem. Tried unplugging the system, waited a few seconds, plugged it back in, didn't work. Then it started turning on randomly and spitting out discs, so I just unplugged it and left it alone. Not sure what the problem is. Maybe I have to clean it out? There seem to be very few solutions to issues related to wifi connectivity other than "plug it in".

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
So I played the demo of The Surge over the weekend (technically the demo was on Steam) and...I really liked it? The idea of cutting off robot components to craft them and stuff is pretty enticing to me, and I like the combat system. It's a Souls clone, for sure, but at least with the content in the demo, it looks like a pretty good one. Problems I can foresee would be samey environments and enemies, but I've never cared about that sort of thing. I just want to cut bits off and wear them. Has anyone played it on PS4 and can comment on how well it runs?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Morpheus posted:

So I played the demo of The Surge over the weekend (technically the demo was on Steam) and...I really liked it? The idea of cutting off robot components to craft them and stuff is pretty enticing to me, and I like the combat system. It's a Souls clone, for sure, but at least with the content in the demo, it looks like a pretty good one. Problems I can foresee would be samey environments and enemies, but I've never cared about that sort of thing. I just want to cut bits off and wear them. Has anyone played it on PS4 and can comment on how well it runs?

DF did a whole thing on The Surge awhile back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDKmJB629-0

Long story short, you can hit a smooth 60fps @ 1080 on the Pro using performance mode, which is pretty impressive. PSPoor and XB are locked to 30fps. PC of course is only limited by $$.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Morpheus posted:

From what I have read, it seems like those are the problems, plus it leaned into the super-duper-hard thing and is not fun later. gently caress the difficulty creep in Soulslikes and frankly Souls.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

RatHat posted:

Is the Nier: Automata DLC just 3 costumes, 3 arenas, and 2 boss fights? Doesn't seem worth it for that price.

Yea just skip it lol

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

an actual dog posted:

Yea just skip it lol

I remember when this game hit the streets, and all of a sudden there was a mass of good youtube hype for it. All I could think of when looking at it was, "Oh; another anime game." But yet, there seemed to be nothing but genuine and universal accolades for the game anywhere I looked. I thought I'd give it a try to see what was sooo great about it - which was strange, because all I could see was "anime" and nobody seemed to be able to say what was even new or unique about it.

I played it, and all I could think on the first playthrough was "anime."

"No; you have to play it multiple times to 'get it,' " they said.

OK, I'll play through the game again. Anime. A third time. Anime. Who cares?

Seriously about the only thing I can think of about the game that is interesting is that you can configure chips to determine how much or how little button input you want to have in this anime game about anime things.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

I remember when this game hit the streets, and all of a sudden there was a mass of good youtube hype for it. All I could think of when looking at it was, "Oh; another anime game." But yet, there seemed to be nothing but genuine and universal accolades for the game anywhere I looked. I thought I'd give it a try to see what was sooo great about it - which was strange, because all I could see was "anime" and nobody seemed to be able to say what was even new or unique about it.

Seriously about the only thing I can think of about the game that is interesting is that you can configure chips to determine how much or how little button input you want to have in this anime game about anime things.

:rolleyes:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

It's not for everyone. Like, no one is forcing you to slog through a game. People are welcome to their own opinion of games but goodness we don't need to rehash this dumb argument because you just summoned all the anime troll defenders from the woodwork. Now on this same page we'll be comparing it to Horizon and BOTW 🙄

an actual dog posted:

Yea just skip it lol

Yeah DLC is a joke though. I read more into it and such, you need to be super high level (80+?) aka spent a lot of the game running around grinding for the arenas

Other than that it's just even more scantily clad outfits apparently

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jul 31, 2017

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

thatsbait.gif

Does Horzion NG+ have new weapons to buy/unlock? Also do you get stronger slot items?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Is Nier Automata basically one long anime movie if you put it on easy mode and let it play itself? I'm really struggling to find the motivation to do anything past ending A but I want to see what happens.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

nachos posted:

Is Nier Automata basically one long anime movie if you put it on easy mode and let it play itself? I'm really struggling to find the motivation to do anything past ending A but I want to see what happens.

No, the gameplay changes significantly in B. Give it a shot

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You can literally let the game play itself if you put it on Easy yes. I guess you still have to move around yourself?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I guess you could blow through it pretty fast if you ignored sidequests and played on easy with one of the many totally broken chip loadouts.

Playthrough B is more or less repeating A except you get a mechanic that lets you kill bosses and high-level monsters much faster than hitting them a bunch. Playthrough C covers all-new narrative ground and is significantly different. Not playing a game that doesn't appeal to you is also a valid choice.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Bombadilillo posted:

Does Horzion NG+ have new weapons to buy/unlock? Also do you get stronger slot items?

You get a new tier of weapons and outfits but it's the same selection, with additional mod slots. The mods themselves I think roll in the same range but everything is way more expensive in NG+ so you have to be choosier about which equipment to buy.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

haveblue posted:

Not playing a game that doesn't appeal to you is also a valid choice.

That is definitely not an option.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The Japanese version has Yui Ishikawa voicing B2, which may or may not be a reason to give it a shot.

Not to start an English vs Japanese VA discussion.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I think yall are underselling the B ending run of Nier, it changes way more than just the gameplay and stuff that is repeated is put in a very different context.

Yea, they save the super mind blowing stuff for C D E but B is cool, it's a ramp up of the weirdness after A. You're not wasting time playing it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Geez guys, I was playing Mass Effect the other day? And you know what? Anime. Just, anime!

So I decided to play some Horizon instead. Was pretty good for a while, until the anime. Then I was like "No! No to anime!" so now I'm playing Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare, and I'm pretty sure it's not anime but I'm keeping an eye out and will let you know.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Morpheus posted:

Geez guys, I was playing Mass Effect the other day? And you know what? Anime. Just, anime!

So I decided to play some Horizon instead. Was pretty good for a while, until the anime. Then I was like "No! No to anime!" so now I'm playing Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare, and I'm pretty sure it's not anime but I'm keeping an eye out and will let you know.

I wish you luck in your pursuit of an anime-free lifestyle.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
No joke I would probably own & be enjoying persona 5 if it was all super grim 'realistic' buff dudes, heavy on the brown and grey and also it would need a new interface that is just white text on black in a nice plain font.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

Andrast posted:

That is definitely not an option.

Usually I'd agree with you but specifically with Nier I was ready to quit the game about 2/3rds of the way through Route A but the massive praise I saw for it convinced me to drop it to Easy and push through and I'm glad I did because despite its flaws its a special game.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cacTXXFwIRk

That Chinese Dark Souls game is coming overseas next year, if you really want some more Souls. I'm pretty sure at least half the bosses shown in this trailer are just carbon copies of actual Dark Souls bosses.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

credburn posted:

Having just ranted about The Last Guardian, I've since beaten it and want to just say it's the most beautifully directed piece of interactive cinema I've ever seen. Everybody should play this.

I totally agree with you though in practice the game has a patience threshold that simply turns some people off, having been designed in a deliberate way to push very specific emotional buttons.

One of my favorite endings ever, and a perfect example of something that loses a huge amount of its impact if just watched on youtube.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Policenaut posted:

That Chinese Dark Souls game is coming overseas next year, if you really want some more Souls. I'm pretty sure at least half the bosses shown in this trailer are just carbon copies of actual Dark Souls bosses.

lol

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Not going to lie I like the, uh, 'art style' of that game.

Like, not the art itself, but the proportions of the main character. It's like they armored up a cartoon with grim fantasy armor.

Game's probably terrible, mind you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Policenaut posted:

This is vulgar.