Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

ComposerGuy posted:

Eeeeeh I get the complaint, but you're assuming Euron was *with* that part of his fleet that showed up at Casterly Rock, and unless I blinked and missed it, they don't show him. He could easily have gone back with a small fleet to King's Landing while sending the rest on.

Not saying he did or didn't, just that he could have.

His boat is shown in the battle then zoomed in on to make sure you didn't miss it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It's not that unbelievable that houses sworn to the Tyrells flipped over to the Lannisters.

The Tyrells have no remaining military commander from their house (to our knowledge). Their sole royal is an old lady who has no heir and can make no heir. This betrayal comes right after the Tyrells lose two significant allies -- the lesser Greyjoys and the Martells.

And there's no reason to think the noble houses sworn to the Tyrells are less susceptible to the xenophobia about the mad king's daughter and her barbarian horde and her cockless slave army. Hell, the wealthy fuckers have the most to lose.

They could have executed it better but all the pieces were there.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

mastershakeman posted:

the protagonists are cersei and euron

Makes even less sense this way. You don't make protagonists seem unstoppable either because otherwise there's no credible threat for them to face.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

grack posted:

Makes even less sense this way. You don't make protagonists seem unstoppable either because otherwise there's no credible threat for them to face.

sure there is. the evil queens dragons and the evil kings zombie army

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Vegetable posted:

It's not that unbelievable that houses sworn to the Tyrells flipped over to the Lannisters.

The Tyrells have no remaining military commander from their house (to our knowledge). Their sole royal is an old lady who has no heir and can make no heir. This betrayal comes right after the Tyrells lose two significant allies -- the lesser Greyjoys and the Martells.

And there's no reason to think the noble houses sworn to the Tyrells are less susceptible to the xenophobia about the mad king's daughter and her barbarian horde and her cockless slave army. Hell, the wealthy fuckers to have the most to lose.

They could have executed it better but all the pieces were there.

Yeah I actually don't disagree with any of this and mentioned it before but with all the expositing the show does it would have been so easy to stick the landing. Literally replace Olenna's weak line about how "we never really were much for fighting" with Jaime saying "it was easy once Tarly joined us along with half your bannermen". Having them easily take a castle without a siege force is different, but they could have even done the classic GoT trick of having them open the gate for Tarly only for him to charge in and start massacring people.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

grack posted:

The protagonists are Hot Pie and the Night King

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

The line "we aren't good at fighting" is extra dumb because Loras was one of the most dangerous knights in the realm in the books

In the show he was just a limp wristed sterotype who got taken prisoner by a bunch of monks in robes instead of resisting.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

meet girls at the store posted:

loving lol at Bran returning to Winterfell and then the show cutting to him sitting under the weirwood tree, it's like he rolled up and immediately asked for the wifi password.

hahaha

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

TheRat posted:

The expended spoilers had a bit on this: Sam and Bran talk about it, and Bran tells Sam that Jon is actually Jon Sand (from having watched Tower of Joy). Sam then says no, he found records of annulment of Rhaegar's marriage to Elia, and that he then married Lyanna. Jon's real name is Aegon Targaryen. Bran then watches a bunch of flashbacks of Rhaegar and Lyanna getting married + Lyanna telling Ned the name of her child.

Oh cool, thanks. Also lol @ Jon Sand, more evidence that Bran has become a complete idiot

Really hoping the archmaester is actually behind Sam all the way and those scrolls Sam has to copy are full of good poo poo.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Cornflakes posted:

Oh cool, thanks. Also lol @ Jon Sand, more evidence that Bran has become a complete idiot

Well, from what Bran knew Jon was still a bastard. Bastards with noble blood are named after the region they are born in, and Jon was born in Dorne.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Cornflakes posted:

Really hoping the archmaester is actually behind Sam all the way and those scrolls Sam has to copy are full of good poo poo.

Jon Sand is the stupidest poo poo I can imagine.

*Sees vision of his aunt giving a newborn baby to his father, whispering something to his father then dying of blood loss*

Ah, clearly Rhaegar kidnapped her for the sole purpose of acting as a babysitter for his newborn baby, and then she died. Also his name is Jon sand even though by this theory he would be one of Rhaegar's trueborn sons.

For someone who sees everything bran appears to be the dumbest motherfucker on the face of the planet.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
it's so that Sam's time in the citadel is useful to the plot as all he's done there is heal a random advisor to Dany and confirm there's dragonglass at dragonstone

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
The Sand thing makes sense if you're a bookreader and understand the Bastard Rivers, Snows, Sands, etc but for show watchers lol

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

So how did he get the "Snow." Did Ned just say, "Yeah, he was born in the north" even though most of the war was in the Crownlands so logically he'd be a Waters?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Caros posted:

Jon Sand is the stupidest poo poo I can imagine.

*Sees vision of his aunt giving a newborn baby to his father, whispering something to his father then dying of blood loss*

Ah, clearly Rhaegar kidnapped her for the sole purpose of acting as a babysitter for his newborn baby, and then she died. Also his name is Jon sand even though by this theory he would be one of Rhaegar's trueborn sons.

For someone who sees everything bran appears to be the dumbest motherfucker on the face of the planet.

I'm with you on bran being a dumb motherfucker, but you're making this simpler than it is

if rhaegar and lyanna didn't actually get married, and instead just ran off together and plowed, jon snow is still a bastard no matter who his mom is, so evidence or witnesses attesting that they were actually married matter from a legalistic perspective otherwise he's jon sand whether rhaegar wanted him to be or not

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

So how did he get the "Snow." Did Ned just say, "Yeah, he was born in the north" even though most of the war was in the Crownlands so logically he'd be a Waters?

Ned refused to share any details about who his mother was or where he was born, so he defaulted to the name Snow, which is what he would have been called if he had been born where his father was from.

E: His father in this case being Ned.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Solice Kirsk posted:

It is determined by who your father is. He is the Son of Ned Stark so he is a snow. Well, not really, but that was the lie.

Edit: scratch that. I know nothing about Jon snow.

Caros fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jul 31, 2017

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008

Solice Kirsk posted:

Ned registered his bastard at the Northern Realm Magistrate. You get the Snow surname automatically there.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Rotacixe posted:

Ned registered his bastard at the Northern Realm Magistrate. You get the Snow surname automatically there.

And Bran was just clarifying that under Westeros High Law sub-section 202b. that Ned didn't have that authority as his maternal uncle and not true father so his surname would default to Sand pending the official paperwork being filed at the Citadel (this is how Sam finds out)

Caros
May 14, 2008

TheRat posted:

Ned refused to share any details about who his mother was or where he was born, so he defaulted to the name Snow, which is what he would have been called if he had been born where his father was from.

E: His father in this case being Ned.

Yeah, it's slightly less dumb as poo poo than I thought since apparently the surname is just based on where you were born, which in Jon's case would have been Dorne. Except bran is still an all seeing psychic who watched his sister get raped so he could probably also go back five minute and realize that he was legitimized.

It is somehow going to be even funnier if Rhaegar actually filed the appropriate paperwork to legitimize Jon. Like... You couldn't mention that poo poo dude?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Caros posted:

Except bran is still an all seeing psychic who watched his sister get raped so he could probably also go back five minute and realize that he was legitimized.

He does after speaking to Sam.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
I heard a definite no from Jaime
Cersei raped Jaime
i'm outraged, literally shaking

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
wait is there evidence that Jon was actually legitimized, Rhaegar wasn't a king so he wouldn't have been able to do it anyway

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

Rotacixe posted:

Hope this ends up being what "Promise me, Ned..." was about

If Jon was Rhaegar's bastard, would he really be Jon Sand? I assumed your bastard name came from your father's region, not the region you happened to be born in. Like if Roose Bolton had knocked up Ramsey's mom in the Riverlands he'd still be Ramsey Snow. Which I guess would make Jon's name Blackfyre?

But maybe GRRM explained this and I'm totally off base here, I haven't read the books

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Feels Villeneuve posted:

wait is there evidence that Jon was actually legitimized, Rhaegar wasn't a king so he wouldn't have been able to do it anyway

There is evidence that Rhaegar had his marriage to Elia annulled and married Lyanna, and as such Jon was always a legitimate child.

Cornflakes posted:

If Jon was Rhaegar's bastard, would he really be Jon Sand? I assumed your bastard name came from your father's region, not the region you happened to be born in. Like if Roose Bolton had knocked up Ramsey's mom in the Riverlands he'd still be Ramsey Snow. Which I guess would make Jon's name Blackfyre?

But maybe GRRM explained this and I'm totally off base here, I haven't read the books

http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Bastardy posted:

Bastard surnames are dependent on the region a child was born in, i.e. where the mother is from, not where the father is from. For example, a noble lord from the Stormlands could father one bastard child in the Vale, and another in the Riverlands, but neither would use the surname "Storm": the first bastard would use the surname "Stone", and the second would use the surname "Rivers." It is extremely unusual for a bastard to know who his nobleman father is, but not his mother. Therefore Jon Snow's situation is additionally unusual, not just because he actually lives with his nobleman father, but because he wasn't even born in the North. Eddard Stark brought him back to Winterfell as an infant after fighting in the south during Robert's Rebellion, but refused to say who his mother was or where she came from. As a result of the mystery surrounding his mother's identity, Jon ended up using the surname "Snow" by default.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Cornflakes posted:

Hope this ends up being what "Promise me, Ned..." was about

The Targ seat is Kings Landing, so it'd be Jon Waters. Jon has a great future in the exploitation film industry.

("Waters" for the Crownlands is the one I always have to look up)

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Feels Villeneuve posted:

if they got the marriage legally annulled and then got married before Jon was born then Jon is already a legit boy

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Does the marriage have to be annulled for the Lyanna marriage to be valid? I thought Targs could have multiple wives?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Does the marriage have to be annulled for the Lyanna marriage to be valid? I thought Targs could have multiple wives?

Targs were incestuous not bigamous

the faith of the 7 is like Catholicism so yes incest is very much OK but bigamy or polygamy is bad bad

the whole Aegon having multiple-sister wives is something that carried over from Valyria before he converted to the Faith IIRC

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Only a few targs ever had multiple wives and the first Blackfyre started his rebellion in part because his dad promised he could have two wives and his son went 'lolno' after he was crowned king

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
incest among cousins in Westeros is OK (wasn't Tywin married to a Lannister cousin?), incest among brothers and sisters is extremely not OK except in Valarya, apparently, which is how the Targs got away with it

e) this is pretty much how things used to work in the nobility in Europe, it was OK and frequently necessary to marry among cousins, but considered very very bad to marry or sleep with a sibling

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 31, 2017

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
So all the bullshit teleportation and time fuckery made me bring up the Westeros map and really study it for the first time and...

Dragonstone is literally at the mouth of Blackwater Bay. There is no conceivable way Euron Greyjoy can be moving his fleet to and from King's Landing without being molested, let alone seen. It's like the British Navy sailing into and out of the Mediterranean Sea without Spain/Morrocco/Gibraltar knowing.

Setting up a naval blockade of King's Landing would have been strategically obvious and tactically simple. Then when some punk like Euron shows up at the mouth of the bay, they wouldn't get the drop on Yara's fleet. Even if they risked getting overwhelmed, hey, look at that, dragons aren't far away for backup!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
A to-scale map of Westeros has never been shown on the show, has it? You must be adding extraneous details from GRRM's novelized adaptation of the HBO hit series Game of Thrones

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

A to-scale map of Westeros has never been shown on the show, has it? You must be adding extraneous details from GRRM's novelized adaptation of the HBO hit series Game of Thrones

cersei is standing on it usually
unless that's the joke (also danys table and god knows where else)

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
I'll be honest, I enjoy GoT double time, first at the dumb tits and rear end story and then reading the forums for the dumb no tits and rear end overexplanation.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

So since Mel said she is going to die Westeros, think she's gonna be the one that Jon quenches Lightbringer in?

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Solice Kirsk posted:

So since Mel said she is going to die Westeros, think she's gonna be the one that Jon quenches Lightbringer in?

That wouldn't really make sense since the original dude poked the sword into his wife in order to sacrifice something precious to him, so probably yeah that makes sense writer this year show etc.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Mel showed Jon her boobs that one time. That's probably good enough.

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."
Dany bring out your dragons jeez. All you gotta do is gently caress up Euron's fleet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

JVNO posted:

So all the bullshit teleportation and time fuckery made me bring up the Westeros map and really study it for the first time and...

Dragonstone is literally at the mouth of Blackwater Bay. There is no conceivable way Euron Greyjoy can be moving his fleet to and from King's Landing without being molested, let alone seen. It's like the British Navy sailing into and out of the Mediterranean Sea without Spain/Morrocco/Gibraltar knowing.

Setting up a naval blockade of King's Landing would have been strategically obvious and tactically simple. Then when some punk like Euron shows up at the mouth of the bay, they wouldn't get the drop on Yara's fleet. Even if they risked getting overwhelmed, hey, look at that, dragons aren't far away for backup!

haha you aren't kidding:

For what it's worth maybe he didn't have his fleet in KL but rather traveled by small boat? He also may have not sent his... oh nevermind, this isn't really something worth defending or trying to.

• Locked thread