Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
People told me this episode was bad, but halfway through it just became hilarious scene after hilarious scene to me

Audrey was channeling R. Kelly's masterpiece at the end there https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAIA55MEK3E&t=143s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

My personal take on Audrey's return: didn't like it.

I wish my girlfriend hadn't shown me Sherilyn Fenn's Instagram. She's obsessed with this character and I think has been rehearsing this moment for 25 years and it shows.
Rather than letting a character come back to you in your own organic method, she revised the character in her mind probably thousands of times and ended up with an idea of adult Audrey that she's demanding be on screen.
Take Jim Belushi for example, excellent performance from a widely criticized actor. Clearly Lynch is a great director. Not so much from adult Audrey, it felt a little forced and hammed up.

But who knows, maybe she's been through a lot and has changed.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
Audrey's always been a ham, but now she's been through a lovely marriage and having an affair.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

General Dog posted:

I think it probably boils down to Lynch not being a big stickler for continuity and a clearly delineated time line in the editing process.

That's not to say that he's lazy, just that those things aren't priority. The bands almost certainly filmed their multiple songs on the same day. They could change outfits, but ehh, whatever.

theres other things tho too, like the first new scene in the first part, where coop is talking to the giant in black and white and then fizzles out, i think this might actually happen later in the season, after/part of coop waking up from being dougie. if you look at that scene (and thanks to part 8 we know black and white and what the giant is wearing is in the past, at least i think it might be, his name is ??????? this season) you see cooper isn't wearing a pin, but when we go back to coop in the red room he is wearing a pin all the time all way back to when he comes out of the socket, the pin is then gone when he is back in the real world.

the reason to believe this isnt just a continuity error is if we remember last week with gordon, his pin is straight before looking into the blue rose, then his pin is rotating around the closer he gets, it goes back straight after albert pulls him out. (i think an image of this was posted in the thread)

but i dunno ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ its clear electricity is important tho and that white lodge room (assuming it is the white lodge) that was flicking back and forth with the woman with no eyes was an alternate current and then they switched it to direct current could be a way to explain any time travel shenanigans going on. (we know from the series, mainly from FWWM that this happens and if the black lodge was made in that nuke it might help to explain how older cultures knew of the black lodge too)

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I think it's weird we got a reference to Linda (as in "Richard & Linda" that the Giant says) in the drive to town from the Fat Trout trailer park and then absolutely nothing else about her since.
I keep expecting her to pop back up but the only scene we had this episode at the trailer park was Carl paying off a limping guy who sells blood.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

DevCore posted:

25 years have passed, she was blown up by dynamite, spent time in a coma, and is in a loveless marriage with a mysterious dude who hangs a "contract" over her head. I think it's safe to say: yes, she has been through a lot and has changed.

Even without traumatic incidents, you're basically a completely different person after 25 full years anyways.

RecoomesSexyRear
Jul 18, 2003

Did anyone get the feeling the phone call in the Audrey scene was Tina telling dude about Richard's poo poo spree and there is no discussion because they don't want to reveal his parentage yet? Just speculating.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

RecoomesSexyRear posted:

Did anyone get the feeling the phone call in the Audrey scene was Tina telling dude about Richard's poo poo spree and there is no discussion because they don't want to reveal his parentage yet? Just speculating.
That's what I thought, like he was going to blurt out "Richard killed a kid," but since he kept the info from her, who knows?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

DevCore posted:

My personal take on Audrey's return: didn't like it.

I wish my girlfriend hadn't shown me Sherilyn Fenn's Instagram. She's obsessed with this character and I think has been rehearsing this moment for 25 years and it shows.
Rather than letting a character come back to you in your own organic method, she revised the character in her mind probably thousands of times and ended up with an idea of adult Audrey that she's demanding be on screen.
Take Jim Belushi for example, excellent performance from a widely criticized actor. Clearly Lynch is a great director. Not so much from adult Audrey, it felt a little forced and hammed up.

i wish you hadnt mentioned her instagram, i just looked it up and it seems to be 80% about religious quote posting that your nan does on facebook and reminding everyone how she hosed johnny depp in his prime.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Polo-Rican posted:

Even without traumatic incidents, you're basically a completely different person after 25 full years anyways.

Not that any of the returning characters except Bobby would know

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

RecoomesSexyRear posted:

i'm starting to think richard isnt hers, its either donnas and she and the father died and ben took custody (i doubt it because the haywards would have done it) or its ben's from another affair he had.

the more i think about it the more it makes sense to be bens, the only thing throwing me is why frank would tell ben its his grandson, unless its one of those things where they tried to keep it secret.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Polo-Rican posted:

25 years have passed, she was blown up by dynamite, spent time in a coma, and is in a loveless marriage with a mysterious dude who hangs a "contract" over her head. I think it's safe to say: yes, she has been through a lot and has changed.

True, but every other character feels fleshed out.
Dr. Jacoby was a pretty mild mannered person in the original run and is now a raving liberal pod-cast host selling shovels to push his catch-phrase. Even though he's changed a lot you can tell he's still the same character. Same thing goes with pretty much every other returning character, you could tell they were the same person even if they've changed drastically. Audrey, not so much.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
*shelly voice*

audrey's always been boring

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

RecoomesSexyRear posted:

That was my first thought but it was definitely implied that Tina had some dirt on the Audrey's husband and that's why he won't share the details.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Vikar Jerome posted:

i'm starting to think richard isnt hers, its either donnas and she and the father died and ben took custody (i doubt it because the haywards would have done it) or its ben's from another affair he had.

the more i think about it the more it makes sense to be bens, the only thing throwing me is why frank would tell ben its his grandson, unless its one of those things where they tried to keep it secret.

Ben says himself it's his grandson, but I guess that could be a cover story

Maybe Audrey's husband didn't tell her what he heard on the phone because Tina implicated Audrey in something or Audrey already tipped someone off or fumbled something in her own investigation, as she tended to do in the old series

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Thom and the Heads posted:

*shelly voice*

audrey's always been boring

And much like when she said James was always cool, she is wrong yet again

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Audrey's still hot

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Why did audrey marry a minion?

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

DevCore posted:

True, but every other character feels fleshed out.
Dr. Jacoby was a pretty mild mannered person in the original run and is now a raving liberal pod-cast host selling shovels to push his catch-phrase. Even though he's changed a lot you can tell he's still the same character. Same thing goes with pretty much every other returning character, you could tell they were the same person even if they've changed drastically. Audrey, not so much.

I thought she was plenty Audrey, just with different shades. Not sure what's your sticking point.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

The new Audrey scene makes me like Audrey more tbh

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
https://twitter.com/simpsonsfilms/status/892079296327675904

edit: don't any of you fuckers Loss this okay?

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (

hawowanlawow posted:

Ben says himself it's his grandson, but I guess that could be a cover story

That would be true if Donna is Richard's mother too.

I forgot about it but there is a subplot in season two where it's revealed that Ben is probably Donna's father. It comes to a climax in the finale and Will Hayward knocks Ben down, Ben hits his head pretty badly, and you don't know if he is alive at the end.

Anyway maybe we'll see Zooey Deschanel's mom in an episode.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Kurtofan posted:

Audrey's still hot

She reminds me of the mom from the first Nightmare on Elm Street. I'm half expecting her to pull out a plastic jug of vodka from a linen closet next episode.

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets
ahahaha lol

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I knew he was a liar! He has the cranial slope and brow of a userer as well.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Turdfuzz posted:

lil fellers all tuckered out

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Solice Kirsk posted:

That's a snowglobe.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Sarah always had the worst go of it in the old show what with her daughter being abused and murdered by husband and then dying a couple weeks later. It was really profoundly sad to see that she's still living in the old house alone(?)

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

At this point I kinda hope we never get Coop back. Imagine how amazing that would be.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

quadpus posted:

ahahaha lol

DAVID LYNCH :argh:

Trousers!
Sep 28, 2001
"Ummm, I don't think sushi is Japanese. It was invented in California." - Villainy, in the 'Why are so many anime fans so goddamn fucking retarded.' thread.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Maybe he meant to say he didn't have a Chrysta Bell.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

superstepa posted:

I've seen some people on reddit speculate that the french woman scene could be code just like the dancing girl from FWWM. I could definitely see that being a thing, however, I am hoping that it's nothing other than lynch taking his time to set up a really bad pun

it was lynch basically breaking the fourth wall and shouting at the audience "YES, I USE WOMEN AS FURNITURE IN MY FILMED WORK. I APPRECIATE THE BEAUTY OF THE FEMALE FORM. STRAP IN SONNY YOU'RE GOING TO BE LOOKING AT THIS FOR A WHILE" i mean he's straight up leering at this woman

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.
I'm sticking with Richard being Audrey and evil Coops rape child until proven otherwise.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

ranbo das posted:

At this point I kinda hope we never get Coop back. Imagine how amazing that would be.

The final scene will be Gordon watching Tropical Thunder, and when that one guy says "Never go full retard" Gordon will go: "Showed you, suckers!" And then it's just ten minutes of Dougie munching cherry pie and chugging coffee. The End

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

It's is interesting that the first thing seemingly connected to Audrey is the stuff going on with Richie then when we finally see Audrey she seems to have no idea about yet she still lives in Twin Peaks.

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets
Well, Ben only just found out about it too. Nobody called Audrey because it's the middle of the night. The assault on Sylvia didn't raise any alarms because she was more concerned about money than anything else.

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets
ugh, gently caress you radium

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Yo that Sarah Palmer performance though, holy poo poo. Kind of slow episode overall, but jesus, that whole sequence is gonna stick with me.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

What was the name of the person with the truck that told Andy to meet him somewhere? Could that have been Billy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It would make sense narrative wise for Coop to return in the final shot of the season that coincides with Bad Coop being banished to the shadow realm

Just like at the end of S2 but vice versa

Its like poetry it rhymes