Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

CJacobs posted:

Did they just do a foot high-five

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQJOQ1HE_zY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Shadowlyger posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and claim Hulk Sonic.

I'm elf Sonic dm me we'll cyber.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i'm probably going to buy sonic mania at least 3 times

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Bought the Mania Collector's Edition for Switch on Best Buy just now. They're in stock.:cool:

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I'm picking the Mania up on Switch for portability (especially since I have a vacation the week after release) but I'm making the move to 4K so I might double-dip on PS4 if the Pro version is good.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm locked into getting the Sonic Mania CE on PS4, but gently caress it I'll also get the game on Switch.

Same. I pre-ordered the CE on PS4 a while back, and when it finally occurred to me to see about changing it to the Switch, they weren't available. Oh well. I was probably gonna double-dip anyways.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I always knew Knuckles was good.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

sharrrk posted:

i'm probably going to buy sonic mania at least 3 times

I've already bought it for myself and for 2 other people.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I finally got paid, so Steam it is. It's really tempting to take a half day off work, like really tempting.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

In honor of Sonic Mania being 16 days away (FRICK) have some good music from a good fangame

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sPwlLf3XTk

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

So where is it?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Oh, so that's where that mix used in this dorky FFXIV dance video came from

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

https://twitter.com/AlanTheWriter/status/891710468405866498

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pm5iLGWqg4M

It's good, like the rest of Mania's music.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Oblivion4568238 posted:

:swoon::swoon::swoon:
game's gonna own

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

15 more days until sonic mania is running wild, brother. Game's gonna loving own, but the wait is gonna be killer.

XavierGenisi fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jul 31, 2017

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I still can't believe that Sega let the Taxman and Stealth make an official game. It's like a dream come true to me. I've been a fan of their work since way back when they were making Retro Sonic and Sonic Project Mettrix.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I am so loving pumped for Sonic Mania. So loving PUMPED.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Time from start of video to start of head-bobbing: zero seconds.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Oblivion4568238 posted:

Fuckin' :gizz: right now.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

This is kinda making me want to pick up Sonic CD on Steam since I only ever played that one once for like two levels at somebody's house.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Bad Seafood posted:

This is kinda making me want to pick up Sonic CD on Steam since I only ever played that one once for like two levels at somebody's house.

The Steam version is good and the Taxman version so go for it.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

What's the difference between the Taxman version and the regular version, if I can ask?

I've been outside the Sonic scene for a long time.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Oblivion4568238 posted:

this might actually be the best track so far. lemme take a dip in this song and float around while i sip my drink. lemme cruise down the highway during the neon sunset. lemme live this song and feel it in my soul

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

I can't wait for websites to review it, call it too short and non-"evolutionary" for the series, and give it a 7.5.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Bad Seafood posted:

What's the difference between the Taxman version and the regular version, if I can ask?

Taxman has wide screen, Tails playable, better quality FMVs, both soundtracks, Sonic 2 spin dash. Pretty much the only thing the original Sega CD version has over the remake is the special stages are easier and that's just because the graphics are shittier on it.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

True widescreen, 60fps, smoothed sprite effects, uncompressed video cutscenes, achievements, unlockable Tails, a choice of both soundtracks.

Sonic 1 & 2 both have similar improvements, and are easily the definitive versions of each game.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Bad Seafood posted:

Pretty much just widescreen. (EDIT: Oh, right, and playable Tails, not sure how I completely forgot him!)

There's several bugs that were fixed in the mobile versions but never any other version, though, which kind of annoys me. Almost all of them are inconsequential, except for the vertical conveyor belts in Quartz Quadrant not triggering time travel, which makes getting the Good Future in QQZ2 much more of a pain in the rear end than it normally is. Fixed on mobile, not fixed on PS360 or Steam. Blah.

Sonic CD was always 60FPS.

I mean, I guess the Special Stages weren't (they are in the remake FWIW), but otherwise, yeah. No, I don't count the old Windows 95 version having an option to drop the framerate to 30FPS.

Shadow Hog fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 31, 2017

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

The only negative is they couldn't secure the rights to the lyrics of one of the two vocal tracks in the jp soundtrack so you have to hear it karaoke style...Unless you have it on steam then you just patch your poo poo.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

True widescreen, 60fps, smoothed sprite effects, uncompressed video cutscenes, achievements, unlockable Tails, a choice of both soundtracks.

Sonic 1 & 2 both have similar improvements, and are easily the definitive versions of each game.

The Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 on steam are Taxman versions? Wowza. Buying.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Twerk from Home posted:

The Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 on steam are Taxman versions? Wowza. Buying.
No, they're not. They are that weird Sega emulation thing that lets you DL ROM hacks form the Steam workshop, though, if that's worth anything.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

How's playing the mobile versions of 1&2 with an Android emulator? I'd like to play those with a proper controller for my classic Sonic marathon I want to have before Mania is out.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 31, 2017

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

XavierGenisi posted:

15 more days until sonic mania is running wild, brother. Game's gonna loving own, but the wait is gonna be killer.

Dig it! Sonic madness is running wild, ooh yeah. (Snap into a Slim Jim!)

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
The only issue I have with the Taxman Sonic CD is apparently they make it run at your monitor's refresh rate and, uh... it breaks if you have a 144Hz monitor.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Someone's been digging into a detailed analysis of level changes during the Sonic 2 beta versions and

https://twitter.com/GoldS_TCRF/status/892075952758554624

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Oblivion4568238 posted:

I can't hear this without hearing "here I come, rougher than the rest of them" starting at random points. Knuckles mashups have ruined me.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

ColdPie posted:

Someone's been digging into a detailed analysis of level changes during the Sonic 2 beta versions and

https://twitter.com/GoldS_TCRF/status/892075952758554624

Who the gently caress thought that was ok?

Like no, the S3 barrel of doom gets all the hate, and it deserve it, but that's right there is a total dick move.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Bad Seafood posted:

After playing both back to back recently I can safely say that the 2011 version is the way to go. The spindash now makes sense, you can hold right after a super peel out without everything breaking and in general it just controls so much better. I will never touch Sonic CD '93 again if I can get away with it.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Did they fix the Metal Sonic fight? I remember that being really hard when I played it in 2016, but when I installed the game to try for some achievements I one-shot it last month.

Apparently the minor physics changes made it much more difficult or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I mean you can get hit a ton of times and still win. I think it's fairly simple if you take the upper path at the right times but I do die to it occasionally.