Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Watch out, we got a cool officer here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
MAKE A HOLE

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Only sort of cool, the hair is just because you won't have much of a tinder game with stupid looking army hair cuts

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Naked Bear posted:

MAKE A HOLE

That's a phrase I have not heard in a long time... A long time.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

I've been to a few fruit parties since I've been out. Not so long for me.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Mustang posted:

Only sort of cool, the hair is just because you won't have much of a tinder game with stupid looking army hair cuts

Guys, I'm not a cool officer cause I'm cool, it's cause I'm getting all the ladies.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Don't hate on the long hair, some of us are just too lazy to get a hair cut every two weeks.

Speaking of NCO-Officer relationships, I just took command of a HSC and my 1SG is a Puerto Rican woman. She seems pretty on top of it so I don't think I'll really have any issues, but at least twice a day I have to stop her and say "I'm sorry, but I have literally no idea what you just said." It's no poo poo like Gloria from Modern Family. She's very understanding as she didn't learn English until she joined the Army, but my wife, who speaks Spanish even has trouble understanding her. I'm sure it will make things interesting to say the least.

My last three NCOICs have all had thick accents now that I think of it. I don't know what people think about being the pastiest white guy make me seem like I'd be good with accents.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Mustang posted:

So how are NCO's fresh off the trail as PSGs? I'm hoping my new one doesn't have a stick up his rear end about all sorts of dumb drill sergeant poo poo because that's going to get annoying, fast

my first PSG was the most universally hated PSG i had and he was straight off the trail.

he had a huge boner for TRADOC and was the PSG that made us clean our open air tents to look like basic fuckin training when we were deployed.

oh and he was a huge pussy. his truck hit an IED within the first few weeks of deployment and he said, out loud over the radio before even seeing if everyone was okay, "welp, got my CIB, guess I don't need to go out of the wire anymore!"

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jul 30, 2017

TheAlphaChaser
May 12, 2013

Mustang posted:

So how are NCO's fresh off the trail as PSGs? I'm hoping my new one doesn't have a stick up his rear end about all sorts of dumb drill sergeant poo poo because that's going to get annoying, fast

One of the other platoons in my old troop was in this situation. The dude was cool as gently caress. Three years on the trail just made his hatred of dumb Army games palpable. Your experience may differ but after all that nonsense all he wanted to do was his job and shield his platoon from the dumb poo poo. The PL was honestly more annoying.

E: Also SMDFTB if you're still in gently caress Army hail Satan

TheAlphaChaser fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jul 30, 2017

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

TBeats posted:

oh and he was a huge pussy. his truck hit an IED within the first few weeks of deployment and he said, out loud over the radio before even seeing if everyone was okay, "welp, got my CIB, guess I don't need to go out of the wire anymore!"

see even NCOs need fragging sometimes

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
One of the funniest/best combat videos I've seen involving a guy I know was a SGM I worked with who was an E-6 in his first engagement at the time who was on headcam during his first engagement, where he dismounts, lays down a mag of suppressing fire, yanks a guy out of the line of fire who was running around like a chicken with his head cut off, drags a guy who's wounded behind the uparmored HMMWV, then reloads and puts another mag down, culmiating in him yelling out "Oh poo poo I got that fucker he went the gently caress down!................... Training works I guess!" with a massive grin on his face.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
PT formation at the barracks the day everyone gets back from block leave? Why not just tell all the guys "hey, we're doing room inspections."

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Because you’re in the army and we’re going to treat you all like five year olds.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
And instead of disciplining the ones that actually act like five years old, we’re going to treat everyone like that because it’s easier. Also gently caress you if you’re still in.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Like all of the infantry officers in my unit come from your BN and they all try to do everything possible to ride out the rest of their time as LT's here

Ironically we gave you guys one of our Armor LT's last year, no idea how that dude is doing, haven't talked to him since he left

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

A Bad Poster posted:

PT formation at the barracks the day everyone gets back from block leave? Why not just tell all the guys "hey, we're doing room inspections.urinalysis"

ftfy

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

So we're shipping all our stuff to NTC.....by boat....

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Ever heard of OPSEC you fucktard

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
He's an LT, it's to be expected

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Aren't you at JBLM? Seems like that would be the most efficient way to do that unless it's only like a company.

Not EVERYTHING the army does is with the purpose of finding the worst way to do it.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

TBeats posted:

Not EVERYTHING the army does is with the purpose of finding the worst way to do it.

hosed up if true.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!

Mustang posted:

Barging is cheap, that's why

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

oil is cheap so yeah ship everything

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mustang posted:

Beating a dead horse, but what else would you do? I guess maybe ship it by train, but your other options are either $$$$$$$$$ and potentially more time via airplane or driving a bigass stupid loving convoy down there? Maybe you can be the supercargo OIC and sit on a boat for several days and pencil whip your daily PMCS checks. If you're lucky some rear end in a top hat merchant marine dude will talk poo poo about how you didn't do enough PMCS or acknowledge how important he is as a merchant mariner when you get to the offload point.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Train is best by far, especially with armor.

They used trains moving Knox to Benning and it went pretty well.

Not that they had the boat option, but you can move an assload of stuff by train pretty quickly, and split up by as many engines as you can get.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Also rail load is rather easy to do with fairly untrained personnel as long as a loadmaster is making sure they didn't muck it all up before you move out. And train has less restrictions, IIRC, on stuff like hazmat and prep work and equipment condition than ships and, especially, aircraft.

Of course, there was that time a patriot radar was loaded on a train, and someone forgot to put in the locking pin that stops the radar from rotating. It had a real nice meetup with a telephone poll.

Paradise Lost
Feb 11, 2003

kill your enemy, drink his wine, and take his women
The Europe rotations are highlighting how units don't know how to ship things by rail, so congrats, it's now a more frequent part of CTC rotations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
That's odd. Rail load was always real easy in my experience. Even airload, while time-consuming, is pretty drat easy and the air force makes sure you don't screw it all up or else they aren't taking off. Contracted aviation, results may vary......

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
We would use trains to ship everything down to Polk from Alaska. Only had one issue where a humvee caught fire because the battery shorted out on the seat.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Figured rail would be rail would be easier, but apparently it's how the units in Alaska always get there

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Did rail loading from schweinfurt to grafenwoehr, loading a Bradley onto a flatbed car is kind of rear end in a top hat puckering, because when you’re completely centered you’re still hanging about a quarter of the track off the sides of the car on each side, and relying on another idiot private to ground guide you and make sure you don’t roll off the loving side with your drivers hatch open.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
How does anybody gently caress up rail load? Even dumbass privates can properly load and chain down a vehicle. That is the easiest poo poo.

On second thought, don't answer that question.

e: In all fairness, I haven't had to load any tracked vehicles.

Naked Bear fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Aug 1, 2017

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Naked Bear posted:

How does anybody gently caress up rail load? Even dumbass privates can properly load and chain down a vehicle. That is the easiest poo poo.

have you ever met a private in the military

they can gently caress up breathing

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

There was a private in my company who tried to take $24.50 or something out of an ATM and complained to the DS that he couldn't pay for his haircut.

Also

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Naked Bear posted:

In the spring of 2002 our sister battalion had an accident caused by mis-loading an M88 recovery vehicle. It was struck by a locomotive while switching cars around to get the train consist arranged. The locomotive driver was killed and several soldiers were injured.

Those German flat cars were pretty cake to load wheeled vehicles on, but as Mike-o said anything with tracks was dicey because it overhung the edges of the car even when perfectly centered.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Whoever decided to make us do NTC pack out in 3 days right after coming back from block leave is an rear end in a top hat

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mustang posted:

Whoever decided to make us do NTC pack out in 3 days right after coming back from block leave is an rear end in a top hat

Protip: If that makes someone an rear end in a top hat, there are A LOT of assholes in ye olde Army.

I report to my first unit on or about 17 December of a year. I see my commander as he heads out on block leave. "Figure out where poo poo is, you don't have a sponsor, you're an officer, figure it the gently caress out."

Commander returns afternoon of 3 January. "We're going to the field tomorrow at 0430, get your stuff packed."

SMASH CUT to Commander going home every other day to shower at home and then return gloating about "conjugal visits."

FLASH FORWARD to months later as my then-fiancee has her car break down in one of the few actual scary neighborhoods in a mostly chill city and I ask to go help her out and wait for a tow truck at about 6 PM.

*emo high school sigh from commander* "Fine, I mean, I guess.......................... but you need to come in early tomorrow and stay late to make up for this"

FLASH FORWARD to commander switching from mocking everyone for staying in to deciding he was staying in forever due to a family medical issue that was chronic

god help the person under his supervision if he's still in.

At least his replacement was a "hard but fair" kind of guy who wasn't a moody douchebag.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Also the Army is werid:

I showed up for a dental checkup and was asked by a couple people why I was in civilians. Apparently the answer that "this is the only thing I'm doing for work today" was considered weird. People put on their uniform just to get a dental checkup, then go back home at 8 AM?!?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

mlmp08 posted:

Also the Army is werid:

I showed up for a dental checkup and was asked by a couple people why I was in civilians. Apparently the answer that "this is the only thing I'm doing for work today" was considered weird. People put on their uniform just to get a dental checkup, then go back home at 8 AM?!?!

I'll throw on the uniform if it gets me moved to the front of the line (for deers stuff they'll usually take uniformed folks first).

But yeah, who gives a crap?