Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
It feels pretty good to yell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttRIz-0HWps We all know what children really are.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Shai-Hulud posted:

Aw man now you tell me. Now I've already hosed up two kids. Third time's the charm i guess.

Bright side, they have an increased chance to be a CEO.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

YeahTubaMike posted:

It seems likely that they're also just exercising their vocal cords a lot of the time. Still annoying as gently caress, whether or not it makes logical/evolutionary sense.

I won't argue that point. It's incredibly jarring to think the kid's just playing, everything is fine, I'm into this episode of whatever, then an ear-piercing shriek fills the room.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

YeahTubaMike posted:

It seems likely that they're also just exercising their vocal cords a lot of the time. Still annoying as gently caress, whether or not it makes logical/evolutionary sense.

Good thing people were patient when you were a wee one.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

BioEnchanted posted:

We all know what children really are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD_-Zl-4w2g

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Catberry posted:

Had my daily reminder today when I saw a kid clutching a pillar inside a supermarket while laying on the ground. Using his legs to "run" while laying on his side he made sideways laps around the pillar while howling his lungs out because his mom wouldn't let him have something he wanted.

Like this but while clutching a pillar.

How we got to 6 billion people will never cease to amaze me.

Sorry but I'm a doctor and your brain is broken if you don't think this is the best.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Catberry posted:

Had my daily reminder today when I saw a kid clutching a pillar inside a supermarket while laying on the ground. Using his legs to "run" while laying on his side he made sideways laps around the pillar while howling his lungs out because his mom wouldn't let him have something he wanted.

Like this but while clutching a pillar.

How we got to 6 billion people will never cease to amaze me.

Heh, children acting like children, how does the human race work?????

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Samizdata posted:

Good thing people were patient when you were a wee one.

Yeah, good thing birth control is a thing too.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
I can't wait for all of the stdh of the "child free" crowd to pop up in response to the oddballs here.

I get not wanting to have children, I'm not sure whether I want to do so myself, but to see the hatred towards the young of our species is so bizarre. "OMG THIS BABY MAKES NOISES!! #CHILDFREE FOREVER"

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Not wanting children is very understandable as you say but as soon as people start grouping up and using special terms to refer to people outside that group then you know they've gone a bit off.

"I don't want kids" - tip top and okay

"ugh look at those breeders and their crotchspawn" - I laugh and subtly cover my throat with my hand in case you smell the baby talc I accidentally spilled earlier and attack me

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Non Serviam posted:

I can't wait for all of the stdh of the "child free" crowd to pop up in response to the oddballs here.

I get not wanting to have children, I'm not sure whether I want to do so myself, but to see the hatred towards the young of our species is so bizarre. "OMG THIS BABY MAKES NOISES!! #CHILDFREE FOREVER"

I'm with you, the setting rage and hatred toward children is frankly alarming.

But here's some relevant STDH.

"Grandma TOTALLY supports our decision to be child free. See? Here's this indisputable screen shot of a text message"

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Did someone say childfree?

Mad mommy tries to guilt me out of my sweet & sour sauce...not today! (self.childfree)

quote:

So I'm in McDonald's trying to enjoy my nuggets (save the eat healthy rants, I only had 20min for lunch) when this mother & son enter the restaurant. I was sitting close enough to the counter to be able to tell there was some sort of problem but not able to hear the details. Mommy was yelling and junior was throwing a fit (he was 5 if I had to guess). I don't mean just any fit, I mean a full on breakdown and the mother was doing NOTHING to stop him! In fact, from my vantage point it looked as if she was encouraging his behavior with a few high-fives. Well after several minutes they take their seat and of course select the booth beside mine. This is where I found out what the problem was...the kid wanted sweet & sour sauce and apparently they ran out. "Mommy he's got sweet & sour, I WANT SWEET AND SOUR!!!" He would throw his head as he screamed and then would shake towards the end as if he was shocked by his own anger. I'm doing my very best to not make eye contact but here she goes..."sir, can i trouble you for one of your sauce packets?" I said, "I don't have any to spare." To which she replied, "But you have 3 and have only opened 1." Now at this point I had only gotten thru half my nuggets so I knew I'd need another sauce packet but I didn't feel that I owed her an explanation so I just shrugged. No comment, just a shrug. This infuriated her! "My son will not eat his food without his favorite sauce, you are LIT-TURR-A-LEE taking food out of his mouth!" And once again, she got nothing but a shrug. Then her phone rings. Picks up and proceeds to talk poo poo about McDonald's and me to whomever is on the other end of the conversation. I ended up not using the 3rd packet and as I walk over to dump my tray into the garbage I hear her say "rear end in a top hat." I keep the packet from sliding into the trash, turn around and make direct eye contact with her, pull back the foil and turn it upside down letting it run into the trash. Her mouth hits the floor and I think junior could have spit fire he was so mad.

Not my finest moment but I regret nothing.

My Weekend: Or Why My Neighbors Now Hate Me (self.childfree)

quote:

I own a house with a pool.

Recently, the community pool closed its doors and was bought by a new owner. Whatever the reason was, the guy has made it a private pool and only people who pay for his gym get to use it. Fine. But he also has a no kids rule.

This has caused a loving uproar in the neighborhood. But on my block, with its quaint little cul-de-sac and the mommies with their matching kids... it has made my backyard the hot spot. Because, dear Childfree, my house is the only one with a pool.

And the lady who lived there before me used to throw loving parties every weekend so the kids could swim. I have lived there for about six months, and have had no problems. I have a dog and a few cats, but no one came to pester me when it was cold. Minus the kids selling chocolates.

Now, everyone knows I am the owner. They all brought me food and welcomed me into the neighborhood. They talked about how sad it was Mrs. Former Own died. They talked about how wonderful she was and how they were sad to see her go.

But that was it. I was waved at sometimes, but because I had no kids and no husband, guess no one was interested unless they asked me to babysit. Upon which I claimed a busy schedule and went on my way.

But now that the pool is closed to kiddies, and it is hotter than Satan's ball sac... they want to be best friends. Some of them would knock and ask to use it. I said no.

But four weeks ago I came home to my dog lying on the front porch chilling. He is very good and I have often let him hang out out when I worked in the yard. But this time I hadn't let him out and always make sure the gate is latched. I head around the back, with Steinbeck following, and what do I see...

loving Mrs. Brownnoser with two of her kids swimming in my pool.

I am furious. I yell at her to get the gently caress out of my backyard. She claimed she didn't know, Mrs. Former Owner was okay with it. I told her to leave. She tried to dry her kids off and take her loving time, but I picked up their poo poo and threw it onto my front yard. I was livid. Absolutely livid.

I might have taken it a step too far, but she got the message. Or so I thought.

I decided to give the benefit of the doubt, and put a lock on the gate.

I come back to another kid in my backyard. He'd climbed the fence.

I drained the pool. I put a cover on the thing.

Then people started knocking on my door asking to use the pool. WTF

Then I got yelled out, when getting my walk on. I was planting some new flowers and this woman walks up with her son in swim trunks. He plops down by my dog and starts petting him. Fine. Whatever.

Mrs. Cuntpickle tells me that Mr. Cuntpickle has forbade them from spending extra money. On useless things. So Junior could not get to use the fancier, $180 a year swimming pass for another pool twenty minutes away. She could not take him to the lake.

But she was so put out and it was so hot. So could Junior please use my pool this weekend or even today. Apparently, she wanted to host a party in my backyard.

I told her no.

I got up and went into my house and made a phone call.

Maybe I overreacted.

But a week later I had a beautiful brick wall surrounding my front and backyard. It had nice, beautiful black spikes on the top to keep those pesky little kids from trying to climb over. And the best part was Steinbeck was the happiest dog in the world. Now he has even more room to run around.

The neighbors had a poo poo fit. I got about 16 notes saying it was an eye sore and I was being a bitch to deny people the pool.

But they cannot get to me because I have a sliding electric gate I pull my car through, then it closes and no one can approach the house. Too bad for them. Their kids can go suck a cock.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Mad mommy was always my least favorite Batman villain

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Haifisch posted:

Did someone say childfree?

Mad mommy tries to guilt me out of my sweet & sour sauce...not today! (self.childfree)

My Weekend: Or Why My Neighbors Now Hate Me (self.childfree)

The great irony of childfree assholes is that they themselves are goddamn infants.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
No one in this thread has sounded the least bit like an irate r/childfree poster, to be honest. I work with and would like to have kids but I can totally get why some people don't like them.

That being said PLEEEEASE YES post some crazy childfree stdh, and balance it out with some quiverfull bullshit too

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I don't know why but a dog named Steinbeck is the thing that set me off about that one

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

If it was true, I would sympathize with the lady in the pool story. But how does an unscalable brick wall just appear around a yard big enough to contain a pool, including the front yard which is apparently big enough that she can have an unscalable electronic gate for her driveway?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

YeahTubaMike posted:

Yeah, good thing birth control is a thing too.

Wishing your parents had used it?

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

walrusman posted:

If it was true, I would sympathize with the lady in the pool story. But how does an unscalable brick wall just appear around a yard big enough to contain a pool, including the front yard which is apparently big enough that she can have an unscalable electronic gate for her driveway?

She also mentioned how her neighbors ignored her except to ask her to babysit. Lady has clearly never talked to a human mother, because NO ONE would let a goonie cat-lady stranger watch their kid alone.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

walrusman posted:

Yeah, the scene changed from "typical suburban neighborhood" to "North Shore Villa" really quickly.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

sweeperbravo posted:

I realized a while back that when a 3yo sobs because they dropped their ice cream, that's genuinely the worst thing they can remember ever happening to them. The concept of disappointment is too nuanced so they skip straight to tragedy.

Basically. When a small child experiences pain, joy, awe, sadness, or whatever, they don't have much to compare it with. It takes time for them to build up a repertoire of memories as well as get used to the fact that they can feel EMOTIONS. They eventually learn that the world is horrible and painful and no longer burst into tears when they stub their toe or get a blue balloon instead of a pink one. You can't cry about balloons when you are full of existential dread.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Basically. When a small child experiences pain, joy, awe, sadness, or whatever, they don't have much to compare it with. It takes time for them to build up a repertoire of memories as well as get used to the fact that they can feel EMOTIONS. They eventually learn that the world is horrible and painful and no longer burst into tears when they stub their toe or get a blue balloon instead of a pink one. You can't cry about balloons when you are full of existential dread.

I'll prove you wrong

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Keith Atherton posted:

I don't know why but a dog named Steinbeck is the thing that set me off about that one

It did to me too, let me articulate my armchair analysis of projecting things onto this internet person based on crazy people I have known*: Giving your dog a name that is unusual, and naming something that you will share the name with others is a way of drawing attention to yourself and your interests. The fact that the poster mentions the THOUGHTFUL SPESHUL name of their dog, rather than just saying "my dog" like nearly anyone else would do in this situation, makes this suspect that they want to draw attention to their taste in books and music, something that is mildly rude, slightly uncomfortable, and commonly boring to people, especially those on acquaintance level. Steinbeck implies the author John Steinbeck, who is a good author who's works have a lot of pathos, but are (at least in the United States) commonly assigned in English classes, somewhere around an 8th grade reading level.
Basically, it's an almost perfect symbol everything that's infuriating about the crazies who dominate the internet childfree movement: arrested development, hating children but idolizing pets, being so self-centered that the things you have control of always come back to you , and signaling to others how special you think you are.

*For example, I used to have a batshit crazy childish friend who was obsessed with drawing attention to how she "expressed herself", especially with the color purple. She would keep directing conversations to the purple she was wearing at least once a day, and tried to pressure female friends who were thinner than her into buying purple shirts she wished she could wear. When she adopted a dog, the dog became another way for her to forcefully express herself to other people, and I swear to God, she bought it purple collars and toys and one day she told me, dead serious [Super Speshul Original Dog Name]'s favorite color is purple, just like me!" like she really believed the dog had picked that out as it's favorite color because of exposure.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Never forget.

quote:

RANT TIME

Harry Potter book release: don't worry, no spoilers.

Showed up at seven, in full costume for a nine am release. Devoted no? I was one of the few to dress up, and I was the best-dressed. I'm not being vain, I honestly had the most detailed and accurate costume there.

We were told in line, that the best-dressed person in line gets to open the box and have the first Half-Blood Prince book. So, I'm a shoo-in, aren't I?

WRONG.

loving moo brings her bratty sprog in at 8:59am dressed in a generic Kmart cape with stars and glitter and loving gaudy BLAH. Twig for a wand.

OMG WITTLE PWESHUS SO CUTE OMG YOU CAN OPEN THE BOX AND HAVE THIS BOOK YOU CAN'T READ AND *fawning fawning, blatant breederism etc*

THE loving KID WON'T EVEN REMEMBER THIS. THE BOX OPENING WAS MINE. MIIIIINE.

I wouldn't have minded if someone had said "Oh look Sass, you are best-dressed but would you mind if this land-mine amputee opened the box instead?" I would have said "Absolutely no problem. Go for it." But no. loving CROTCHDROPPING GETS THE HONOUR. I'm furious. On principle of course, not out of any sense of entitlement. Well yes, entitlement also. But I WORKED FOR IT, I DESERVED IT.

I made an effort. I spent money making an effort. I showed up early. I will remember and treasure this event for ever and eternity. And I'm passed over for an ugly little brat with a sparkly tie. Woo loving woo.

I didn't stab her in the eye with my wand. I WANTED to. I talked about doing so VERY loving LOUDLY. I was going to eviscerate her mother with the cover of my brand-new copy.

I loving hate breeders and child-lovers. loving GO TO HELL.

I'm so pissed about this, sorry. It's just that in ten years time, this kid won't remember what she was doing on July 16th 2005. In ten years time, I will be remembering how I was deprived of this nerdly honor by an opportunistic twat breeder and her shitling. I'm hurt. All my life, nothing has gotten to me more than being deliberately ignored, or passed over. Honestly; that's the sort of thing that can make me cry in public. Or key your car. Or viciously murder you and your family in the heat of frustration and never-ending denial

Congratulations breeders, you win.

Edited to add: To all of you who are calling me immature etc, I'd like to add that you make a very good point, but have you considered GO gently caress YOURSELF? If you're so anal-retentive, go back to the other community and go on with your breeder-humping. Also, to the person who submitted this to fandom_wank, I seriously (no sarcasm) thank you. I've always wanted to be there!

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
"I, a supposed grown adult, deserve a free copy of a book for children more than a small child does. Someone shall pay dearly for this outrage."

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I like to imagine the girl who got to open the box does remember the event fondly over 12 years later. It would be so deliciously ironic.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

EmmyOk posted:

Not wanting children is very understandable as you say but as soon as people start grouping up and using special terms to refer to people outside that group then you know they've gone a bit off.

"I don't want kids" - tip top and okay

"ugh look at those breeders and their crotchspawn" - I laugh and subtly cover my throat with my hand in case you smell the baby talc I accidentally spilled earlier and attack me

I feel like if someone frequently mentions the fact they don't want to have kids in a context where it wasn't provoked by someone else (for example someone else asking them about it), there's either 1. probably some insecurity behind it or 2. they're a young person trying to be edgy or something. Like, not wanting to have kids is totally fine (I probably don't myself), but people normally don't go out of their way to mention that sort of thing unless they feel like they have something to prove. I would even go as far as to say that the people who are particularly obnoxious about it (with the aforementioned "crotchspawn/breeders" stuff and the childfree folks) often secretly want to have a family and just tell themselves how terrible it is as a way to cope with not having their desires fulfilled. Sorta like someone who doesn't get something they want and then says "WELL I DIDN'T REALLY WANT IT ANYWAYS."

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
In general, if someone makes not doing a thing a central part of who they are, they're invariably irritating as poo poo about it.

See also: Straight-edgers, incels, etc.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Catalina posted:

It did to me too, let me articulate my armchair analysis of projecting things onto this internet person based on crazy people I have known*: Giving your dog a name that is unusual, and naming something that you will share the name with others is a way of drawing attention to yourself and your interests. The fact that the poster mentions the THOUGHTFUL SPESHUL name of their dog, rather than just saying "my dog" like nearly anyone else would do in this situation, makes this suspect that they want to draw attention to their taste in books and music, something that is mildly rude, slightly uncomfortable, and commonly boring to people, especially those on acquaintance level. Steinbeck implies the author John Steinbeck, who is a good author who's works have a lot of pathos, but are (at least in the United States) commonly assigned in English classes, somewhere around an 8th grade reading level.

Yeah this is basically why that pissed me off because if she actually did name a dog Steinbeck is because she was hoping it would be like:

"His name is Steinbeck? Like the author?"

"Yes of course" :smug:

Or

"Steinbeck? What's that from?"

"You've never heard of the greatest American novelist of the 20th century?" :smug:

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Keith Atherton posted:

"Steinbeck? What's that from?"

"You've never heard of the greatest American novelist of the 20th century?" :smug:

Top five, maybe, but then I remembered we were still talking about the lady who loved Grapes of Wrath enough to name her dog after him. Whoops.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Keith Atherton posted:

Yeah this is basically why that pissed me off because if she actually did name a dog Steinbeck is because she was hoping it would be like:

"His name is Steinbeck? Like the author?"

"Yes of course" :smug:

Oh, Steinback was the name of the Red Pony I used to have, too. :smug:

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

walrusman posted:

Top five, maybe, but then I remembered we were still talking about the lady who loved Grapes of Wrath enough to name her dog after him. Whoops.

Grapes of Wrath is a pretty weird name for a dog imo.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Probably one of those pedigree names that breeders give dogs.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I would even go as far as to say that the people who are particularly obnoxious about it (with the aforementioned "crotchspawn/breeders" stuff and the childfree folks) often secretly want to have a family and just tell themselves how terrible it is as a way to cope with not having their desires fulfilled. Sorta like someone who doesn't get something they want and then says "WELL I DIDN'T REALLY WANT IT ANYWAYS."

Or it's because if you ever mention that you don't have or want kids, you get stared at like you just grew another head and then swarmed with "who'll take care of you when you're old" "you'll change your mind" "you were a kid too!" "no see, constant screaming is actually cool and good" "i can't eat ice cream without hiding in a locked off room, but you're weird!" etc. etc. and it really gets loving old.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Byzantine posted:

Or it's because if you ever mention that you don't have or want kids, you get stared at like you just grew another head and then swarmed with "who'll take care of you when you're old" "you'll change your mind" "you were a kid too!" "no see, constant screaming is actually cool and good" "i can't eat ice cream without hiding in a locked off room, but you're weird!" etc. etc. and it really gets loving old.

So what's your #CrotchSpawn tumblr.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Byzantine posted:

A lady in my office goes out of her way to mention how she hates children and never wants to have them. The only pushback I've heard is from the secretary who said" if you'd them, you'd like them ☺️"

Nobody is bothered because you don't want to have kids. In fact, I'm glad you made that decision

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Some top quality STDH featuring what are imo EPIC OWNS

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Fathis Munk posted:

Grapes of Wrath is a pretty weird name for a dog imo.

Actually that's one of the best dog names I've ever heard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts