Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

At my last job, I got written up for not calling in and giving at least 2 hours notice before going to the ER with a life-threatening issue. Gawd bless Murrica :patriot:

That's the thing about the US I think some Euro/Aus goons are missing in this derail: we don't have free healthcare, yet employers expect a doctor's note to call out (and even if you can, good luck getting a paid sick day; many places do not have that luxury). So say that I, a food service person, have a bad case of vomiting and diarrhea. Says right on the Virginia food handler's certification card to not go to work if you're puking or got the trots. I know it's probably a bug that some rest and plenty of fluids will fix. BUT, if I don't show for work, I not only have to pay [$40 co-pay if insured; god knows what if not] to see a doctor just to get a note saying "yep, ya ate something bad/got stomach flu", but I'm also out the $80 I might've made that day. So I'll stagger in, green around the gills, and serve your food, because $120 is a lot of money when you're making minimum wage.

And that's how you get ants norovirus at Chipotle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

sweeperbravo posted:

The point of why I said it is that my manager thought we were all faking being sick just to be lazy when it was blatantly clear by how gray everyone's skin was that that wasn't the case.

suit up, dum dum , show some team spirit

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Fishstick posted:

I don't know if the history with Blacks thing is accurate for Belgium, it's always had a hands-off policy.

:vince:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

JacquelineDempsey posted:

At my last job, I got written up for not calling in and giving at least 2 hours notice before going to the ER with a life-threatening issue. Gawd bless Murrica :patriot:

That's the thing about the US I think some Euro/Aus goons are missing in this derail: we don't have free healthcare, yet employers expect a doctor's note to call out (and even if you can, good luck getting a paid sick day; many places do not have that luxury). So say that I, a food service person, have a bad case of vomiting and diarrhea. Says right on the Virginia food handler's certification card to not go to work if you're puking or got the trots. I know it's probably a bug that some rest and plenty of fluids will fix. BUT, if I don't show for work, I not only have to pay [$40 co-pay if insured; god knows what if not] to see a doctor just to get a note saying "yep, ya ate something bad/got stomach flu", but I'm also out the $80 I might've made that day. So I'll stagger in, green around the gills, and serve your food, because $120 is a lot of money when you're making minimum wage.

And that's how you get ants norovirus at Chipotle.

Yeah, receiving paid time off isn't even a requirement in the US either, so if you want to get paid for a sick day you have to have that.

Of course some employers are better than others. Some places will give you some days right away, some make you wait 90 days, some make you accrue it at about 6 hours per month and any combination you can dream of. I once worked at a place that didn't give you PTO until you worked there for a whole year. Some places will give you a "personal day" or two during the year which you can use right away, but those are typically intended for when the 4th of July is on a Tuesday so they close the plant on Monday without pay. It all depends on how lovely your employer wants to be, and you can always bet on them being lovely in some fashion.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
All employers are poo poo, just the depths of their shittiness varies.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/phuckyounick/st...270702463-story

he later was fired.

http://www.foxla.com/news/share-this/270702463-story

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Eh. I’ve seen the insides of a soda dispenser.

I assume every drink I purchase is at least 5% slime.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
How is that marketing? It was an employee

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

bunnyofdoom posted:

How is that marketing? It was an employee

This is how I felt whenever anyone posted about anything United.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Waffleman_ posted:

This is how I felt whenever anyone posted about anything United.

:can:

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Intoluene posted:

All employers are poo poo, just the depths of their shittiness varies.

All employees are lazy thieves, it's just the depths of laziness and dishonesty that varies.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
edit:wrong thread

Randaconda has a new favorite as of 13:28 on Jul 31, 2017

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS

bongwizzard posted:

All employees are lazy thieves, it's just the depths of laziness and dishonesty that varies.
Companies aren't charities, you can be certain that each and every employee is bringing a lot more value to the company than they cost, otherwise they'd be out on their rear end starting yesterday. The theft and dishonesty primarily goes the other way than you stated, although stealing back from the employer is to be expected as well. Why have any loyalty to a company that will squeeze you and dump you?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Those are pictures of what happens when no one working there cleans the machines regularly.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

bongwizzard posted:

When I worked at Speedway in 2010 employees weren't allowed cargo pants because of the fear that you would rob them blind. Also getting a cup of ice counted as theft because ice cost 25 cents. And one of my coworkers got fired because he took a fountain drink and didn't pay. And when my manager changed the new one told me if I filled my mug with hot water without paying again I would be fired, I had my own cup and tea bag but she wanted me to pay for hot water because that's what corporate decreed.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

HerStuddMuffin posted:

Companies aren't charities, you can be certain that each and every employee is bringing a lot more value to the company than they cost, otherwise they'd be out on their rear end starting yesterday. The theft and dishonesty primarily goes the other way than you stated, although stealing back from the employer is to be expected as well. Why have any loyalty to a company that will squeeze you and dump you?

Trust and loyalty are kind of a two-way street, how this hard to understand? Why would someone with that kind of attitude be worth treating as anything but replaceable?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

As far as I'm aware Americans are not innately more dishonest and lazy than the rest of the developed world, so if they're being treated like poo poo the problem lies with the corporate culture there.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
What trust and loyalty have corporations earned?

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, receiving paid time off isn't even a requirement in the US either, so if you want to get paid for a sick day you have to have that.

Of course some employers are better than others. Some places will give you some days right away, some make you wait 90 days, some make you accrue it at about 6 hours per month and any combination you can dream of. I once worked at a place that didn't give you PTO until you worked there for a whole year. Some places will give you a "personal day" or two during the year which you can use right away, but those are typically intended for when the 4th of July is on a Tuesday so they close the plant on Monday without pay. It all depends on how lovely your employer wants to be, and you can always bet on them being lovely in some fashion.

I used to work somewhere that didn't give you PTO or sick time (or both, it may have come out of the same pool, I don't remember) until the first of the next year. You accumulated it, sure, but couldn't use any. So if you got hired on later in the year it might not be too bad, but anyone whose first day was in January would be screwed for almost a full year (and then have scads of time to use up). I always thought that was bizarre.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

bongwizzard posted:

Trust and loyalty are kind of a two-way street, how this hard to understand? Why would someone with that kind of attitude be worth treating as anything but replaceable?

If employers stopped automatically assuming that everyone was lovely and replaceable, that number would go down, it's not like CEOs aren't the worst employees

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Iron Crowned posted:

If employers stopped automatically assuming that everyone was lovely and replaceable, that number would go down, it's not like CEOs aren't the worst employees

But if they start treating employees like human beings, they might have to pay them a livable wage. And that's just unacceptable.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Len posted:

When I worked at Speedway in 2010 employees weren't allowed cargo pants because of the fear that you would rob them blind. Also getting a cup of ice counted as theft because ice cost 25 cents. And one of my coworkers got fired because he took a fountain drink and didn't pay. And when my manager changed the new one told me if I filled my mug with hot water without paying again I would be fired, I had my own cup and tea bag but she wanted me to pay for hot water because that's what corporate decreed.

And so? Like, just because a rule is arbitrary and dumb doesn't mean you're allowed to get huffy when you're punished for knowingly breaking it?

Inescapable Duck posted:

What trust and loyalty have corporations earned?

What you definition of a corporation?

Iron Crowned posted:

Worse by what metric?

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Treating employees like crap is the real point of business ownership. Money is just a nice perk.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Len posted:

Wow. Just wow.

When I worked at a movie theater they counted the cups, because that's how they did inventory for $3 sodas that were only worth nickle in real life. They still let us have free drinks. Just not in the official cups, because those were literally worth $3 in the ledgers.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

bongwizzard posted:

Worse by what metric?

More CEOs have ruined companies than line workers have ruined companies. QED.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Krispy Kareem posted:

Wow. Just wow.

When I worked at a movie theater they counted the cups, because that's how they did inventory for $3 sodas that were only worth nickle in real life. They still let us have free drinks. Just not in the official cups, because those were literally worth $3 in the ledgers.

Speedway didn't give regular employees any sort of benefits at all. The lady in HR said my speedway rewards card was all I got only it came with the catch of if it gets used too much in a single day you go under investigation for theft of points.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Avenging_Mikon posted:

More CEOs have ruined companies than line workers have ruined companies. QED.

Pilots have crashed more planes than stewardesses. QED

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Len posted:

Speedway didn't give regular employees any sort of benefits at all. The lady in HR said my speedway rewards card was all I got only it came with the catch of if it gets used too much in a single day you go under investigation for theft of points.

This was sort of the way it was a the Giant I worked at. You got an employee store rewards card, but it wasn't any different from the rewards card I had as a customer. No discounts on store-brand stuff, no employee special coupons, no extra redeemable rewards. Just a regular card the you can redeem for gas discounts or a turkey at Christmas, just like everyone else.

They had one time while I was there where employees got a, like, 10% discount for about 3 days in, like, June last year. They didn't really tell anybody about it, though, and I would've missed it if someone I worked with in the deli hadn't said something in passing about it.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

bongwizzard posted:

Phlegmish posted:

As far as I'm aware Americans are not innately more dishonest and lazy than the rest of the developed world, so if they're being treated like poo poo the problem lies with the corporate culture there.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

Yeah pilots are awful

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

bongwizzard posted:

You asked why CEOs weren't the worst employees. Your response is a non-sequitur and has no analogous relevance to the conversation. The logical conclusion is that you're a complete smooth-brain who is obviously only alive due to numerous medical interventions after you repeatedly tried to gently caress an electrical outlet.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Avenging_Mikon posted:

You asked why CEOs weren't the worst employees. Your response is a non-sequitur and has no analogous relevance to the conversation. The logical conclusion is that you're a complete smooth-brain who is obviously only alive due to numerous medical interventions after you repeatedly tried to gently caress an electrical outlet.

Or maybe it was to point out that it is obvious that people in a position to cause a crash are far far more likely to do so then someone who job never puts them in a position of control? But boy you sound smart.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Parasol Prophet posted:

I used to work somewhere that didn't give you PTO or sick time (or both, it may have come out of the same pool, I don't remember) until the first of the next year. You accumulated it, sure, but couldn't use any. So if you got hired on later in the year it might not be too bad, but anyone whose first day was in January would be screwed for almost a full year (and then have scads of time to use up). I always thought that was bizarre.

We start people as contractors for 90 days to see if they'll work out so PTO doesn't accrue until they're given employee status, but we're chill about people taking sick days and actually prefer it than get other people sick.

Overall our management style is "Don't be a dick."

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

bongwizzard posted:

But boy you sound smart.

And you sound like an outlet fucker.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Keep defending those multi-millionaires. They surely need your support.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Johnny Aztec posted:

Keep defending those multi-millionaires. They surely need your support.

Calling out someone as a moron isn't the same as defending CEOs, although I suppose it might look that way to you if you're as bad at recognizing analogies as Avenging_Mikon.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

food court bailiff posted:

Calling out someone as a moron isn't the same as defending CEOs, although I suppose it might look that way to you if you're as bad at recognizing analogies as Avenging_Mikon.

Don't defend outlet fucker, his analogy is poo poo.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

I'm pretty sure wage theft is more common than employees shoplifting

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Wait

..Wait.

poo poo, I'm sorry. I completely hosed all that up. I guess I wasn't paying 100% attention to what was going on.

MY BADG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Oh here's what I was thinking of, companies steal more from workers than burglars do https://thinkprogress.org/wage-theft-report-54d917ef1dd4