Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Unoriginal Name posted:

Real or not, KWaste is saying they are all honest portrayals of the movies

But since only one of them is a real advertisement and not a gag, let's deal with it: it's not dishonest. It's a specialized TV spot meant to manufacture desire for the premiere of a major motion picture one a channel that in turn advertises itself as a "family" network. The film in question is a PG-13 superhero movie, which has been further edited, with a character who is mega-popular among babies and children. Nothing in the spot is inaccurate in terms of what more or less happens in the movie.

Reading the frenetic pacing or 'tone' of an advertisement as a direct translation of the precise experience of watching the entire cinematic story unfold, making up a movie in your head to accommodate this, and then declaring that you have been deceived by advertisement when the film you end up seeing is obviously not the trailer or the movie in your head, is exactly how that moron who sued the distributors of Drive thought. She was only more audacious in that she actually took them to court - but most 'dishonest trailer' claims are equally as stupid. They fundamentally come down to an imagined debate between the anecdotal spectator and what they believe they are being "told" by marketing people. lizardman imagines that Fox is screaming this very specific statement at him, which defeats the entire point of advertisement, which is that the reasons you would want to go see Alien: Covenant or Prometheus should be non-exclusive.

It is not about honesty in advertisement. It's about the understanding of film as a commodity that, unlike other commodities, can not in good faith be taken to deliver the identical, standardized 'service' and 'experience' to potentially millions of different people, who all have very different and often very stupid reasons upon which they predicate their enjoyment of what is, at the end of the day, just a movie. There is no way to make an advertisement that guarantees that there will be harmony between the interstitial movie you make up in your head after seeing the advertisement, and then the actual film itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I like the scene where the clown runs down a list of possible explanations for why they're there, and all of them sound like possible other Twilight Zone episodes

Exactly, yeah, he gets very near to saying "this is just like that TV show".

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
If they were sending a colony ship why did then even have a human crew? They should of just had a crew of Davids. Davids cant become aliens.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The society in the Alien flicks does not seem to trust synthetics enough to have more than one on any crew. Fear they'd start doing... More or less what they do here.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Tenzarin posted:

If they were sending a colony ship why did then even have a human crew? They should of just had a crew of Davids. Davids cant become aliens.

I'd guess cost considerations.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Dan Harmon is weird

In other news David owns

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

The digital HD release of this on iTunes this Tuesday has all the deleted scenes/extras. :rock:

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

RedSpider posted:

The digital HD release of this on iTunes this Tuesday has all the deleted scenes/extras. :rock:
Of this what... Cube Zero?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I'm guessing he means Alien Covenant.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Xenomrph posted:

I'm guessing he means Alien Covenant.
Well that makes no sense at all. Okay maybe a little.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

CelticPredator posted:

Dan Harmon is weird

In other news David owns

That was supposed to be Dan Harmon?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Covok posted:

That was supposed to be Dan Harmon?
The dude in the cartoon is Slavoj Žižek. Maybe Harmon drew it or something? No idea how he relates to it.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

david_a posted:

The dude in the cartoon is Slavoj Žižek. Maybe Harmon drew it or something? No idea how he relates to it.

I hate to be joke-explainer-guy but its because they look alike in that lovely mspaint. OP was being intentionally obtuse for comedic effect.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
It's from one of the few genuinely good webcomics http://existentialcomics.com/ Now with better art!

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

I just watched that short film 'Advent' on the HD purchase, and oh boy, it expands on Covenant's cliffhanger even more.

It's a transmission David sends out as a warning to the Weyland corporation and the Engineers about his intentions on destroying all life in the galaxy with the black goo/Aliens. He also talks about making an Alien Queen with Daniels' organs. The whole thing has various clips of David experimenting in his lab POV style. Very creepy.

Scott wasn't kidding around about that War of the Worlds bit. Too bad he probably won't get to make it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Holy poo poo. Gimme

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I want to see that so bad I'm considering buying it on digital tomorrow. Don't be lying to me

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.
So are there any stills out there yet showing the Covenant spaceship from above in all its explicitly phallic glory? Because that's the only redeeming thing about Covenant for me (okay, other than Michael Fassbender) simply because of how much of a perfect summation it is for the rest the movie (yes, even Michael Fassbender, since David is indeed a ginormous dick with his head in the clouds).

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

CelticPredator posted:

I want to see that so bad I'm considering buying it on digital tomorrow. Don't be lying to me

It's a hard R and seven minutes long. It is by far the best part of the home release. Fassbender was clearly having fun with it, too.

There's another nine minute one called 'Phobos' where Weyland Corp is testing the mental stamina of the Covenant crew members by having them hooked up to these machines where they see visions of gruesome deaths.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Well, that makes it incredibly frustrating that the Amazon Video digital release apparently has no special features at all.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Flappy Bert posted:

Well, that makes it incredibly frustrating that the Amazon Video digital release apparently has no special features at all.

iTunes and VUDU have them. I recommend the iTunes version because the picture quality on it is loving amazing.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
7 minutes of film saving alien covenant, lol.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Alien Covenant is pretty much perfect. The last 10 minutes is the only weak part, and the film could use 2 hours more of David doing David things.

4 hour David movie come at me

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CelticPredator posted:

4 hour David movie come at me

Well, there pretty much is a 4 hour David movie, and it kicks rear end.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

True. But I'm a entitled being when it comes to these movies. I need more!

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!
Just drop David into every script produced for the next five years, imo.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

RedSpider posted:

It's a hard R and seven minutes long. It is by far the best part of the home release. Fassbender was clearly having fun with it, too.

There's another nine minute one called 'Phobos' where Weyland Corp is testing the mental stamina of the Covenant crew members by having them hooked up to these machines where they see visions of gruesome deaths.

I know most of these were only ever made for marketing purposes but this is even more "how in the gently caress was this not in the movie" stuff to me. This is awesome. Looking forward to the inevitable fan-edit.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Neo Rasa posted:

I know most of these were only ever made for marketing purposes but this is even more "how in the gently caress was this not in the movie" stuff to me. This is awesome. Looking forward to the inevitable fan-edit.

Alien Covenant has a TON of extras/special features on the home release. There's about 10 deleted/extended scenes (one in Daniels' apartment on Earth, and Walter growing WEED while the crew was in Hypersleep!), an hour making of Featurette with Ridley Scott/cast and crew, the film with the Director's commentary, and all the promotional viral clips they released including ADVENT and PHOBOS. It's pretty baller.

If I knew how to record, I would just upload the ADVENT video for you. I could post screengrabs and the transcript of David's message if you want.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah Advent is great. I bought my first digital release to see it. Kinda glad too because I'm gonna be hopped up on pills after a Dentist appointment so I can't think of a better way to spend my time than watchin Alien.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
these David movies are extremely good and I need another.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

RedSpider posted:

I just watched that short film 'Advent' on the HD purchase, and oh boy, it expands on Covenant's cliffhanger even more.

It's a transmission David sends out as a warning to the Weyland corporation and the Engineers about his intentions on destroying all life in the galaxy with the black goo/Aliens. He also talks about making an Alien Queen with Daniels' organs. The whole thing has various clips of David experimenting in his lab POV style. Very creepy.

Scott wasn't kidding around about that War of the Worlds bit. Too bad he probably won't get to make it.

So then WY knew about the xenomorph prior to Alien and special order 937 was specifically tailored with acquiring one in mind :can:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The only problem I had with that was, it would've had to have been AvP-R which canonically triggered this event.

And I don't like that idea.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CelticPredator posted:

The only problem I had with that was, it would've had to have been AvP-R which canonically triggered this event.

And I don't like that idea.

I mean, now it sounds like David's transmission is the trigger for it. They get the transmission, go "uh what the actual gently caress," and then table it until someone gets close to the general area that they can afford to lose.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Somebody uploaded ADVENT: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B86EuJPI5slER2N2MjBlUFJwTlk/view

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
What the gently caress, that's awesome.

I like how clear David's transmission is but by the time it reaches earth it's just like "huh some kind of bug that's big and angry? swap a droid onto this space truck to get us one I guess."

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
That is awesome and it should've been the epilogue of the movie.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!
It's funny, because you imply that David might be the creator of the xenomorph and people hate it, but you have him tell you in in great detail and it's awesome.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

That should have been the goddamn stinger that starts cutting in 1/2 way through the credits. It's already edited that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Lol Ridley still trying to rip on Aliens.