Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Yeah, okay, mea culpa. :shobon:

I didn't really go in much detail about "searing, let alone grilling" in my OP, but I'm actually looking to experiment beyond my cast iron pan. I can already get awesome results from a cast iron sear, but struggle to get as much of a contrast on my grill. I know there's only so much you can do with a gas grill, I was just happy to get the grill mark aesthetic while still having a nice taste and texture. (Bonus points for not lighting up a red hot cast iron pan in an already 30C/85F kitchen...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
You could always put a griddle plate on your gas bbq and heat that up, that way you still do them on the bbq..

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
pickled an eye of round for 8 days, then cooked at 132 for 24 hours then rolled in pepper and coriander for a sort of lean pastrami. super juicy and melts in your mouth. time for reubens

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Am I right in thinking you wouldn't want to sv it with the pepper and coriander because the pepper especially can get mighty weird on longer cooks?

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

the yeti posted:

Am I right in thinking you wouldn't want to sv it with the pepper and coriander because the pepper especially can get mighty weird on longer cooks?

i figured it would get soggy and wash off with the bag juices honestly. if i had a smoker i would have rolled it in spices then smoked it as a final step i think

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
drat that looks tasty.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Jan posted:

:dawkins101:

yeah, okay, I guess I am doing it totally wrong and didn't dry or sear (I did both those things) and should not be posting pics of sous vide steaks in the sous vide megathread.
sear a wet steak all you like then :colbert:

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Elizabethan Error posted:

sear a wet steak all you like then :colbert:

Millennial insults are getting weirder and weirder

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

goddamn. that looks perfect tbh

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I want one of those Rubens

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I was reading about sous vide bacon and cooking overnight. My main question is instead of taking the bacon out of its package, and place it in a ziploc and vacuum seal it, can I just toss the already vacuum sealed container in and go from there? For example, this is the bacon I picked up:

The packaging is similar to a freezer bag, so I just want to know if the paper insert or plastic would be bad either health wise or less importantly, taste wise.

edit: I could find no information about the plastic on any of the labeling.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

swickles posted:

I was reading about sous vide bacon and cooking overnight. My main question is instead of taking the bacon out of its package, and place it in a ziploc and vacuum seal it, can I just toss the already vacuum sealed container in and go from there? For example, this is the bacon I picked up:

The packaging is similar to a freezer bag, so I just want to know if the paper insert or plastic would be bad either health wise or less importantly, taste wise.

I believe SV Jesus aka Kenji Alt-J Lopez has even suggested using its own packaging.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Sous Visus? I tried it once and I thought it was sorta neat but would never be my go-to, even if it took just as long to make it that way. You end up with bacon that is perhaps a little crispy on the edges but just melts elsewhere, and I like a little bite. Might be good for sandwich applications where you want it extra easy to bite through.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

swickles posted:

There's no triangle with a number?

It should be safe, but I'm also one of those people who will tell you not to bother sous videing it and to use an oven or pan instead

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Glottis posted:

Sous Visus? I tried it once and I thought it was sorta neat but would never be my go-to, even if it took just as long to make it that way. You end up with bacon that is perhaps a little crispy on the edges but just melts elsewhere, and I like a little bite. Might be good for sandwich applications where you want it extra easy to bite through.

I, too, didn't see what the big deal is.

Ps: my life got better when I started making bacon in the oven 100% of the time.

400 degrees for about 20 minutes... your oven may vary.

Perfection. Crisp but melty. Whole kitchen isn't layered in a fine mist of porcine oil.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

swickles posted:

Yeah this works fine, all you need to look out for is paper labels that might dissolve over longer cooks.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Feenix posted:

I, too, didn't see what the big deal is.

Ps: my life got better when I started making bacon in the oven 100% of the time.

400 degrees for about 20 minutes... your oven may vary.

Perfection. Crisp but melty. Whole kitchen isn't layered in a fine mist of porcine oil.

If you're feeling real decadent, put thick toast underneath the rack, and then make croutons or just eat them like a animal.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Subjunctive posted:

If you're feeling real decadent, put thick toast underneath the rack, and then make croutons or just eat them like a animal.

<Facebook thumbs up icon here>

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

Do you mean thick slices of bread, or actually toasting the bread before putting it under the track?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sir Kodiak posted:

Do you mean thick slices of bread, or actually toasting the bread before putting it under the track?

I pre-toast, but it probably works the other way. I just toast them in the oven while it's pre-heating.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
So I saw David Chang's 60 degree slow poached egg thing on Mind of a Chef and he says if you chill the eggs they keep their form better when cracking the shell.
Has anyone done this? What does chill mean exactly? 5 seconds in the ice bath, 2 minutes? I don't want the eggs to go all cold as I plan on doing Eggs Benedict and they need to be warm for that.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Hopper posted:

cracking the shell ... Eggs Benedict

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what this slow poached egg process is, but you kind of need to crack the shell before poaching for eggs Benedict, so where's the concern? Chill -> crack -> poach, how would you have cold eggs after that?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
In sous vide you can poach the egg then peel it, and then you get a clean oval egg to put on your Benedict

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

When poaching SV you use the egg's natural case of course

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Doesn't David Chang actually crack the eggs into baggies and then sous vide those? Could have sworn I saw him or someone else do that, and while I haven't tried it, it does seem like a good way to address the problem I always have with SV poached eggs where the white never sets enough. That way you can just pull the solid poached egg out and leave the snotty white in the bag and you don't have to worry about accidentally popping your yoke when cracking and peeling the egg before serving.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Hopper posted:

So I saw David Chang's 60 degree slow poached egg thing on Mind of a Chef and he says if you chill the eggs they keep their form better when cracking the shell.
Has anyone done this? What does chill mean exactly? 5 seconds in the ice bath, 2 minutes? I don't want the eggs to go all cold as I plan on doing Eggs Benedict and they need to be warm for that.

What episode was this?

Ive never used an exact time for the chilling when making soft boiled eggs, just pulled them out when they weren't too hot to handle anymore? Maybe 30 seconds?

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Mikey Purp posted:

Doesn't David Chang actually crack the eggs into baggies and then sous vide those? Could have sworn I saw him or someone else do that, and while I haven't tried it, it does seem like a good way to address the problem I always have with SV poached eggs where the white never sets enough. That way you can just pull the solid poached egg out and leave the snotty white in the bag and you don't have to worry about accidentally popping your yoke when cracking and peeling the egg before serving.

i think I've seen ferran adria tie up an egg in a baggie of plastic wrap and sous vide it that way after adding shaved truffle to the egg white

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yeah you can also do the more involved method of boil for like 2m -> ice bath -> SV

Boiling sets the white on the outside then the ice bath stops it from overcooking the yolk.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

large hands posted:

i think I've seen ferran adria tie up an egg in a baggie of plastic wrap and sous vide it that way after adding shaved truffle to the egg white

Mikey Purp posted:

You are both correct, he does both in the Episode "Spain". First he does egg in a bag on a string and says he learned it from Ferran if I remember correctly. But later in that episode he also shows the 60 minute slow poached egg which he cracks it afterwards.

So I'll go with about 30 seconds chilling this weekend as a test run.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jul 27, 2017

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Speaking of sous vide bacon has anyone played with sous vide Chinese style bacon? Or Chinese sausage.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Just put it in a rice cooker with your rice.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

namaste faggots posted:

Just put it in a rice cooker with your rice.

Tell me more...

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Ultimate Mango posted:

Tell me more...

Add rice and water to rice cooker as normal, then toss in some diced up chinese bacon or sausage and set it to cook normally. Once rice is done mix it up, maybe add some additional seasonings to it as well. (Soy sauce, minced garlic, sliced up scallions, etc)

Other things that I've seen added:
-Yams
-Tomatoes
-Ground or diced up walnuts
-Chicken/beef/vegetable stock in place of water
-Diced veggies
-Garlic
-Sesame Oil

Honestly you can pretty much do whatever you want.

Example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_9QImcJmSg

.Z. fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jul 31, 2017

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

.Z. posted:

Add rice and water to rice cooker as normal, then toss in some diced up chinese bacon or sausage and set it to cook normally. Once rice is done mix it up, maybe add some additional seasonings to it as well. (Soy sauce, minced garlic, sliced up scallions, etc)

Other things that I've seen added:
-Yams
-Tomatoes
-Ground or diced up walnuts
-Chicken/beef/vegetable stock in place of water
-Diced veggies
-Garlic
-Sesame Oil

Honestly you can pretty much do whatever you want.

Example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_9QImcJmSg

I knew the link to this video was coming. ❤️

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Steve Yun posted:

Anova customer service is the best! My immersion circulator was two years out of warranty and when it had scroll wheel issues they sent me a replacement for frWHAT THE gently caress

They did this for me too, it was an orig and over 2 years out of warrenty and they sent me the new wifi model when it wouldn't heat anymore. I ended up buying another orig before calling them about because i figured I got enough use out of it for $150...so now I have two. Haven't done anything to really need two yet but it's kinda nice to have.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Anova is the worst!

Original malfunctioning unit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWSzrWhJ8gs

First replacement:

Second replacement:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7XZAguc5bE

edit: currently waiting to hear back from them about this latest one

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Aug 1, 2017

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
More like, "uhhh, no va!"

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
So that 60C egg... doesn't work. I cooked it for an hour chilled it for 20 seconds and the yolk was fine but the white was just a watery mess. I upped the temperature to 62 and still have 3 eggs in there, will report back.

Edit: OK so 62 is much better. However, the white is still a bit too translucent and doesn't have that poached feeling, plus some of it remains in the shell when cracking the egg, I tried with chilling 20 seconds and chilling 10 seconds, same result.

The Eggs Benny were good, but in comparison I prefer the proper poaching method for the firmer whites, plus it is A LOT faster. These eggs may be good for soup/ramens though, but probably at 63C and chilled completely, then peeled and rewarmed in the soup.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 1, 2017

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Hopper posted:

So that 60C egg... doesn't work. I cooked it for an hour chilled it for 20 seconds and the yolk was fine but the white was just a watery mess. I upped the temperature to 62 and still have 3 eggs in there, will report back.

At 60 degrees the white will never set, you need to use the pre-boil + ice bath technique for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Which means David Chang lied in his video when he says 60C for an hour then chilled. That egg he shows is perfect.