Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
hi thread, i "made" a "comic"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
I love that walrus. The whole thing is great. That duck is a sovereign citizen.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
So of a bitch, of course as soon as I order a Monoprice 22 tablet someone offers me a Cintiq for basically the same price.

a bloody icon
Apr 22, 2012

It never hurts to have a backup.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I've tried working with graphic tablets several times I they just end up annoying me with two factors, the distance between the pentip and where the contact is registered which cant be helped because of the clear layer, and my meaty paws getting in the way.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

How do you draw on paper? Personally I rest the entire side of my head on the desk next to my sketchbook and do all the pen movement with my wrist and fingers. My other arm shields my labors from onlookers.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Reiley posted:

How do you draw on paper? Personally I rest the entire side of my head on the desk next to my sketchbook and do all the pen movement with my wrist and fingers. My other arm shields my labors from onlookers.

sometimes yes! but lately i've been trying to swing me arm out more and draw more in an open position, like tryin to get nice jules feiffer thing goin on with de lines

city of doves
Jun 27, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
i spit ink at the paper with devastating accuracy

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

I paint with mine, and others, members.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I send an email to the basement full of starving students doing it for exposure

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
I use a white crayon to mask out the areas that are to remain uninked, then paint over the paper wet cat food diluted w/water 1:3.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPaEdvCs1C8

but with ink

(make sure your volume isn't too high if you click the link)

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
For anyone who's curious, we just posted the financial summary for our last anthology, Yonge At Heart. TLDR: Our 216 page full-colour anthology cost $26k CAD to hit market, and brought in $28k CAD.

We're also starting up our next volume in the Toronto Comics series, so if you're Canadian-esque, consider sending us a pitch or porrtfolio!

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I finally got around to finishing out my chapter.
Still feeling very novice about everything, but I admit it's great to actually worked with it and all your feedback really has helped! For the moment, I'm just thinking of making a sub blog on my Tumblr for it since I'm familiar with the interface and it'd be nice to attach it to something I've already a few followers on. I'm eager to keep going! Callow as I am, I am really, really enjoying this poo poo.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Das Boo posted:

Still feeling very novice about everything, but I admit it's great to actually worked with it and all your feedback really has helped! For the moment, I'm just thinking of making a sub blog on my Tumblr for it since I'm familiar with the interface and it'd be nice to attach it to something I've already a few followers on. I'm eager to keep going! Callow as I am, I am really, really enjoying this poo poo.

Good poo poo. Congrats on finishing chapter 1!

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Das Boo posted:

Tumblr is a really awkward format for comics but you absolutely should get that comic out there somewhere. It's fantastic work.

Hell, you should try submitting it to First Second or Iron Circus Comics. You might even be able to get that thing into print and you lose nothing for trying.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jul 23, 2017

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
It looks like neither is accepting submissions right now (Iron Circus looks like it wants 150 pages or so for consideration?), but I'll keep watch on them!

I used that Tumblr theme listed on the front page, so here's where I'm stationed for now: https://skeletonfarm.tumblr.com/
I've been wanting to do this for goddamn years, I'm almost giddy.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
I believe they want the proposed work to be 150-500 pages when it's completed, not that you need that many pages done before consideration. Often times its better to not have your work be finished because most publishers will pair you with an editor and it's much easier to make changes to something that's in earlier stages rather than a completely finished work. Though if they really want the work then they'll accommodate you as much as they can. I'm pretty sure Iron Circus at least is accepting submissions right now, not 100% sure about first second atm but they are definitely a good publisher to keep in mind for the future.

They are both run by very professional editors who love webcomics (both companies are led by people who've made webcomics themselves) and they often publish new artists which is why I recommend them in particular. There are plenty of other options as well.

It's worth at least a try when you feel ready for it. Your work is great and I could definitely see it fitting in with at least one of the indie publishers.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
I notice nobody here seems to publish on something like comixology.
I know nothing of digital publishing, so I was wondering why? Is it that bad, is there a downside to it?
And what about sites like big cartel?
I'm genuinely asking, since people prefer just putting their work on tumblr.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

mrfart posted:

I notice nobody here seems to publish on something like comixology.
I know nothing of digital publishing, so I was wondering why? Is it that bad, is there a downside to it?
And what about sites like big cartel?
I'm genuinely asking, since people prefer just putting their work on tumblr.

Well, they're completely different formats, really. Putting it on Tumblr means its free to read, comixology means they have to pay for it upfront, very different markets.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Kojiro posted:

Well, they're completely different formats, really. Putting it on Tumblr means its free to read, comixology means they have to pay for it upfront, very different markets.

You're right, they are very different. But I see a lot of stuff on tumblr that could be sellable on something like comiXology, but people don't seem to bother. Does that mean the profit is so small it's not worth the effort, or do they keep it free out of principle, or have another way of getting some revenu like patreon...

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I've uploaded three anthologies to Comixology since 2014, and in all that time I think I've made 40 bucks. Unless your work is already Image quality ( in which case you need a publisher, not a sales channel ), they're barely worth the effort. I think they can be good for getting your brand out there, but I wouldn't expect them to be any kind of payday.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Yeah I've not made much on comixology either, also if you're outside the US they pay you in a cheque, which is pretty not great since the bank takes a chunk out of foreign cheques. Throw your stuff on there if you like but don't make it the backbone of your business model. Patreon is much better for that kind of thing.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Kojiro posted:

Yeah I've not made much on comixology either, also if you're outside the US they pay you in a cheque, which is pretty not great since the bank takes a chunk out of foreign cheques. Throw your stuff on there if you like but don't make it the backbone of your business model. Patreon is much better for that kind of thing.

Well, everything I ever made was already published in Belgian magazines. These are very much my backbone :).
If I publish something it would just be the english translation of dutch/french stuff and it feels like it would be more fun to publish it in the form of a digital book as opposed to images on a website.
But I have no illusions of making any noteworthy money with it.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
No reason not to pop it on comixology then, if license restrictions from the magazines aren't an issue!

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Das Boo posted:

Just wanted to chime in - long time lurker who's comic is probably a retirement hobby at this point - I LOVE your stuff, it's great work.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
i made this page but probably i won't be able to post it on my website for a couple months so i am posting it here for likes and upvotes, please to enjoy!

kshift
Aug 13, 2017

"except one day i rolled up wearing a citizen watch, full ross"

FunkyAl posted:

i made this page but probably i won't be able to post it on my website for a couple months so i am posting it here for likes and upvotes, please to enjoy!

Your comics are funny as hell and I really love the art! It reminds me a lot of like Ren & Stimpy, Catdog, Courage, etc.
Would it be cool if I sent you an email with some scripts I've made to see if you'd want to work on something together? Thanks!

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

kshift posted:

Your comics are funny as hell and I really love the art! It reminds me a lot of like Ren & Stimpy, Catdog, Courage, etc.
Would it be cool if I sent you an email with some scripts I've made to see if you'd want to work on something together? Thanks!

hey, anything could happen! buffetofliescomic@gmail.com name ya needs name ya price etc

e: also forgot to say thank you neon noodle a month ago, thank you neon noodle!

FunkyAl fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Aug 17, 2017

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

Oh my loving god I have nearly finished a god drat comic project for the first time in my life!
Its not that long, but finished!!! I've never finished anything I cant get done in like one or two sittings before!

A taste.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
wow i'm high af and love this

https://twitter.com/mileskitaro/status/903355586523402241

couldn't think of an appropriate thread so you guys can have it, thanks friends

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
especially labradorite. kickass gemstone, not well-known because it's expensive and not flashy, but imo what it lacks in sparkle it makes up for in a slow-burn brilliance

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
the same should be true of a webcomic

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I went to look up more about labradorite

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

BoneMonkey posted:

Oh my loving god I have nearly finished a god drat comic project for the first time in my life!
Its not that long, but finished!!! I've never finished anything I cant get done in like one or two sittings before!

A taste.

This looks cool as hell.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

BoneMonkey posted:

A taste.

poo poo sorry i missed this post?? that looks kickass, congratulations!

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

Thanks guys!

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
i am a rock, impervious to the currents of time.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

BoneMonkey posted:

A taste.

This looks incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Hey does anyone know of a good way to split a comic into TWO SEPERATE ARCHIVES on JUST ONE SITE? I've been using me old site to upload comics but I don't want people to unwittingly tredge through five years of unrelated s'chnazz to Become Updated. I'm running comiceasel on wordpress atm but could switch after some doin'