Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
This is the worst gimmick trolling I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
A wizard did it.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Pedro De Heredia posted:

They didn't have to give Daenerys three allies (Greyjoys, Martells, and Tyrells) only to dispose of them in three episodes.

The problem is they set up a situation where Daenerys was much more likely to win than Cersei, and they just rewrote things to even it out. Pointlessly; they just should have never written themselves into that corner.

They didn't rewrite it to even things out, it's not a computer game that needs balance, it's television drama. They write twists and turns to create television drama.

I was convinced Olenna was getting the same poison as Joffrey, but that she knew it and had some backup foil. Actually getting a nice quiet poison and then being allowed a parting shot like that seems like a missed opportunity for television drama.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

My local library had a half assed shelf of GRRM stuff front and center to promote reading during these dark times. They had A Knight Of The Seven Kingdoms and A World Of Ice and Fire.

Dunk and egg stories are really great. The illustrations were great. Cant wait to see those hack frauds at HBO ruin that in 2-3 years

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

This is the worst gimmick trolling I've ever seen.

Uh.. I meant that as a serious question. Has the distance between these two places ever once been established?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

basic hitler posted:

My local library had a half assed shelf of GRRM stuff front and center to promote reading during these dark times. They had A Knight Of The Seven Kingdoms and A World Of Ice and Fire.

Dunk and egg stories are really great. The illustrations were great. Cant wait to see those hack frauds at HBO ruin that in 2-3 years

lucky for you the hack frauds have nothing to do with any of the spinoffs but alas its the hope that kills you

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Uh.. I meant that as a serious question. Has the distance between these two places ever once been established?

In Season 1 Tywin has 2 weeks to get his rear end to Kings Landing from Casterly Rock.

That's all I got.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ola posted:

They didn't rewrite it to even things out, it's not a computer game that needs balance, it's television drama. They write twists and turns to create television drama.

are you people even serious anymore.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

if the wall is 300 miles then the distance from King's Landing to Casterly Rock is over 500 miles.

we have 2 dimensions provided for us

3000 miles from KL to the Wall

The Wall is 300 mi long

these two figures are both in the book and the show

to-scale maps exist of Westeros

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Also we have Cersei's giant floor map.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
So neither "distance" nor "time lapsed" are ever firmly established.

Go on about people "teleporting" :allears:

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

So neither "distance" nor "time lapsed" are ever firmly established.

Go on about people "teleporting" :allears:

distance is firmly established you retard we have the distance of everything

don't you know how to-scale maps work

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Yeah the compression of time is obviously overboard. Consider theyre basocally gambling on covering WoW and ADoS material in what? 14 episodes? Not loving reasonable to be honest. I understand costs have ballooned and theres probably fatigue from how the show is made but it was stupid.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yes. People spend weeks and month travelling across Westeros. Travelling and travel times have always been a huge part of this show, in every season. It's a really huge place.

King's Landing and Casterly Rock are on the opposite ends of Westeros.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Phi230 posted:

distance is firmly established you retard we have the distance of everything

don't you know how to-scale maps work

Literally it is not. Where's the to-scale map showing us Casterly Rock and High Garden?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ola posted:

I was convinced Olenna was getting the same poison as Joffrey, but that she knew it and had some backup foil. Actually getting a nice quiet poison and then being allowed a parting shot like that seems like a missed opportunity for television drama.

But it's sort of lazy to re-use the same Dany makes a dumb decision and gets saved by a string of magical Deus Ex Machina style events.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
That's better

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
what we don't actually have is time, since there is no time/date stamp on anything in this show

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
In the span of 3 episodes, Euron has gone from King's Landing to an unspecified area off the Dornish Coast; back to King's Landing, and finally around the entire continent to Casterly Rock

according to the scale provided by the show and the books, he's gone thousands of miles in just 3 episodes

apparently the same amount of time it takes for Jon to go from Winterfel - White Harbor - Dragonstone, which is around 1000 miles

or lets just use Episode 3 here - in the time it took for Euron to sail back to King's Landing (which could be short since we don't know how far Yara's fleet made it south), and then to sail back out of King's Landing all the way around the continent to Casterly Rock - was the same amount of time it took from Theon entering the water to being fished out of the water

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
how much time is "three episodes"

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

etalian posted:

But it's sort of lazy to re-use the same Dany makes a dumb decision and gets saved by a string of magical Deus Ex Machina style events.

Not disagreeing with that.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Groovelord Neato posted:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Literally it is not. Where's the to-scale map showing us Casterly Rock and High Garden?

do we have to post screenshots of the map cersei stands on in multiple episodes or the one Dany looks at or what here

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The show at this point is paced fast enough that we see ravens fly away in one scene and arrive in the next one. Does this mean the show literally thinks ravens travel instantaneously

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

https://www.dailydot.com/parsec/game-of-thrones-westeros-mapped/

http://www.businessinsider.com/game-of-thrones-map-compared-to-earth-2015-6

https://winteriscoming.net/2015/11/10/game-of-thrones-fan-tabulates-distances-between-places-in-westeros/

Based on GRRM's own statements, the show's own statements, the book's own statements; plainly says:

It's 1500 real world miles from King's Landing to Winterfell.

The Wall is 300 miles long.

Its 630 miles from Winterfell to The Wall

GRRM also states that Westeros is the size of South America.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Feels Villeneuve posted:

how much time is "three episodes"

In previous seasons they made it clear that time has passed with either statement or simple scene structure. None of that now. It doesn't matter how much time has actually passed, the show as structured makes people think things are jumping around and teleporting and that means its doing a bad job

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Also this is a book series where at the start of one of the books GRRM basically goes "yes the timeline is screwy if you try to follow it literally, deal with it"

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
Sure fine, you can go from Casterly Rock to King's Landing in a very short time. So the unsullied can now go straight to King's Landing while the Lannister army is in the Reach.

Cunning plan, Jaime.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

mastershakeman posted:

do we have to post screenshots of the map cersei stands on in multiple episodes or the one Dany looks at or what here

The unlabeled set dressing? That's just to illustrate that they're Talking War Strategy. "Casterly Rock" and "King's Landing" labels are never ever once shown on the screen simultaneously.

The show has never given the viewer any reason to believe that unreasonable time/distance combinations have occurred.

When they fished Theon out of the water, he did not press "Stop" on a stopwatch and read off the days/hours/seconds.

This is straight up, "Yoda trained Luke over the course of the Cloud City dinner party" levels of silliness

Also you legitimately cannot use anything from The Books as evidence for the show.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Phi230 posted:

https://www.dailydot.com/parsec/game-of-thrones-westeros-mapped/

http://www.businessinsider.com/game-of-thrones-map-compared-to-earth-2015-6

https://winteriscoming.net/2015/11/10/game-of-thrones-fan-tabulates-distances-between-places-in-westeros/

Based on GRRM's own statements, the show's own statements, the book's own statements; plainly says:

It's 1500 real world miles from King's Landing to Winterfell.

The Wall is 300 miles long.

Its 630 miles from Winterfell to The Wall

GRRM also states that Westeros is the size of South America.

None of this is remotely applicable to HBO's Game of Thrones

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Time is passing faster because it is close to the end of the series and they want it to be paced faster, and at this point we don't particularly want to wait four episodes for Dany to send Jon a raven, Jon to receive it, and Jon to go to Dragonstone.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

yeah you're actually retarded

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The unlabeled set dressing? That's just to illustrate that they're Talking War Strategy. "Casterly Rock" and "King's Landing" labels are never ever once shown on the screen simultaneously.

The show has never given the viewer any reason to believe that unreasonable time/distance combinations have occurred.

When they fished Theon out of the water, he did not press "Stop" on a stopwatch and read off the days/hours/seconds.

This is straight up, "Yoda trained Luke over the course of the Cloud City dinner party" levels of silliness

Also you legitimately cannot use anything from The Books as evidence for the show.

lol so blackwater bay isn't a place on the map without a label? cool

I'm sure anyone could overlay the credit maps with the cersei floor or Dany table maps to label things but you'd just say the credits aren't part of the show because you're being insanely pedantic to prove a point for idiots

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Phi230 posted:

yeah you're actually retarded

lol

I'm not.

Did you catch the crazy plot hole in the show where Euron doesn't have a brother named Victarion? Oops!!

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Except it is, since Season 1 they've established the long time associated with taking the King's Road from King's Landing to Winterfell when Robert brought his horrible not-kids to visit Ned to give him the hand job.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
apparently the show just willed 99% of Westeros into existence for the scene where Cersei stands on a map of westeros literally exactly the same in all ways as any map of westeros ever printed

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

When people meet in person, that means time has to matter somewhat.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

lol

I'm not.

Did you catch the crazy plot hole in the show where Euron doesn't have a brother named Victarion? Oops!!

apparently in your incredibly smooth brain HBO's Game of Thrones does not take place in Westeros and the entirety of Dunk and Egg, World of Ice and Fire, and 5 books are all novelizations of the TV series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Just pause the show and wait for enough time to pass.

• Locked thread