Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Hunt11 posted:

At the rate this administration is going the show should be on twice a week. One show to cover the latest insanity of the Trump administration and another show to cover the topics they would cover if not having to constantly deal with the burning wreck that the current administration is.
This. I was listening to an news podcast this morning and at the end they mentione dthey were going to have a listener questions episode next, and that they wanted to know "if there are any stories we might have been missing", well yeah, basically EVERYTHING that isn't one degree of separation from Trump, motherfuckers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

coyo7e posted:

This. I was listening to an news podcast this morning and at the end they mentione dthey were going to have a listener questions episode next, and that they wanted to know "if there are any stories we might have been missing", well yeah, basically EVERYTHING that isn't one degree of separation from Trump, motherfuckers.

In all fairness, we're living in historic times with this trash fire of an administration. How naive we were when we thought W was the worst thing ever.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

IRQ posted:

In all fairness, we're living in historic times with this trash fire of an administration. How naive we were when we thought W was the worst thing ever.

Bush: Corruption, With Competence™

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Bush: Corruption, With Competence™

Bush: Listens to the *competent* evil people.™
Bush: Still fucks you over, but lets you shower afterwards.™
Bush: Keeps nepotism to the minor agencies, like FEMA.™

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You know the nice thing about Bush?

And this was my selling point for Clinton

He was never going to break the system. Oh we railed, and he did lovely things, but they were manageable lovely things. I'm sure he and his ruined lives and such, but they were never going to be a threat to the government itself or the entire system.

We never had to seriously wonder, at any time, "Can Bush Pardon Himself?"

Trump has just been this beacon of trash fires that may yet spread and, while I don't think he's capable or would be allowed to break the system

He will leave it scarred

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I really don't understand the kneejerk need to rehabilitate Bush. Bush commuted Scooter Libby.

A big reason I feel dread now in the age of Trump is not because it feels worse than the Bush years, but so much of it reminds me of the dread I felt when Bush was president. I felt Bush won in 2004 not from his supposed merits, but because he managed to deepen the nation's culture war fault lines. The idea of "red states and blue states" only became a thing during his presidency.

I'm still willing to give Bush credit for the few not terrible things he did, but gently caress Bush and gently caress Trump.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Echo Chamber posted:

I really don't understand the kneejerk need to rehabilitate Bush. Bush commuted Scooter Libby.

A big reason I feel dread now in the age of Trump is not because it feels worse than the Bush years, but so much of it reminds me of the dread I felt when Bush was president. I felt Bush won in 2004 not from his supposed merits, but because he managed to deepen the nation's culture war fault lines. The idea of "red states and blue states" only became a thing during his presidency.

I'm still willing to give Bush credit for the few not terrible things he did, but gently caress Bush and gently caress Trump.

You're joking right?

Red and Blue states have been a thing since Washington stepped down. They just got called different things or didn't seem as big because word didn't travel as easy.

Party lines have shifted, what which party means changes, who is on what side can collapse at any time

But party fighting has always been the bane of the electoral system. Washington is literally the only President to not be affected by it, and only because both parties, and all that would replace them after, were too busy trying to see who could suck his cock the hardest.

It just seemed like it got worse in the 2000s because the internet became a thing and everyone got to talk to everyone.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I don't think anyone is trying to rehab W's image, it's just that Trump is that much worse.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
If you have to ask, yes, I know the GOP was terrible long before Bush.

We can walk and chew gum at the same time. Bush was bad. Trump is bad.

I'm kind of reminded of all the liberals in the Bush days trying to push the idea that Reagan wasn't so bad because REASONS.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Reagan would be a moderate in today's shitshow.

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com
While Echo Chamber has the timeline off, he is right that the culture wars being started and used as a wedge is a fairly recent phenomenon, looking at the nation's history as a whole. The southern strategy worked phenomenally well.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I think Reagan's horribleness wrt tax cuts and the economy really took off after McCain had to tell people he was a supply sider during the 2008 primary.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I was referring to the red state / blue state thing specifically as a symptom of the deepening culture war divide under Dubya. In 2000, there were still quite a few election maps that were red for Gore, blue for Bush. But the whole "Red State and proud" thing only emerged around 2004. Heck, Obama's famous DNC speech was probably the first time I was aware of it.

My point was Bush wasn't above running a campaign that wasn't so much against Kerry, but against people who vote for Democrats. He wasn't remarkable in that matter. Reagan and Nixon did it too. Trump further weaponized it.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jul 30, 2017

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

IRQ posted:

I don't think anyone is trying to rehab W's image, it's just that Trump is that much worse.

Let's not forget Bush killed and tortured a hell of a lot more people.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Orange Devil posted:

Give Trump time.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Trump represents a real, imminent threat to both the integrity and the meer ability to function of our entire country. He has been actively assaulting our nation's institutions from day 1, from voter anonymity to the EPA (and not just global warming and air purity but pushes to let up on people actively poisoning water supplies) to our national security to healthcare to the rights of our citizenry. So far, he hasn't actually done much lasting damage that couldn't be quickly undone by whoever comes next, but not for lack of trying. For all the poo poo that happened domestically under W's reign, Trump intends to do all the same poo poo to a greater extent, and although so far his sheer incompetence has stopped him from accomplishing any of it so far, the position of president is not powerless and his administration has steadily been shedding people who could've possibly provided a moderating influence. The main thing that separates W from Trump is the fact that W is in the past and has already done everything he would do, and Trump still has at least a year left.

...Also ~300,000 dead due to W's foreign policy decisions,, but most people prioritize domestic issues over foreign policy, despite the fact that the president has much more influence over foreign policy than domestic. God only knows what Trump's foreign policy decisions will lead to, because no human on this Earth knows, especially Trump.

And then if you take away all the complicated factors of what each of their policies have done and just look at them as human beings, Trump is just far worse than W hands down. Trump left a wake of destruction before he ever sought office.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
All this Reagan talk is reminding me of the smug look on Hillary's face the first time she said "Trumped-up trickle-down economics" during a debate.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Orange Devil posted:

To be fair, Bush (wrongly) thought it was a way to gain intel that could save lives. Trump would do it because its raining, so he can't golf, so what else are you gonna do?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Propaganda Machine posted:

All this Reagan talk is reminding me of the smug look on Hillary's face the first time she said "Trumped-up trickle-down economics" during a debate.

Go on :allears:

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Hillary wouldn't have been terribly far off from Reagan? Her administration would have been infinitely better than the Trump Shitshow, but I don't think Hillary Clinton is the glorious revolutionary that would undo the damage done by Reagan decoupling wage growth from GDP.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Has it started on HBO yet? Its not showing up on HBO Now.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

swickles posted:

It doesn't show up on streaming until Monday like 9am or something

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

swickles posted:

Just finished watching it on HBO GO. Alex Jones is going to be pissed.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
That was a glorious segment and I look forward to the inevitable "some idiot really bought this" next week.

SOME IDIOT WILL AND WE ALL KNOW IT.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Yureina posted:

Just finished watching it on HBO GO. Alex Jones is going to be pissed.

No, he's going to be overjoyed. John Oliver just gave him the ability to spend an entire show talking about his crappy products (instead of 1/4) because they've been MALIGNED! MALIGNED, I TELL YOU! I KNOW YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT THAT WORD MEANS, LOYAL LISTENERS, BUT IT'S BAD! BAD! AAAAAAAGH!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

END ME SCOOB posted:

That was a glorious segment and I look forward to the inevitable "some idiot really bought this" next week.

SOME IDIOT WILL AND WE ALL KNOW IT.
Not super idiot though:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Hillary wouldn't have been terribly far off from Reagan? Her administration would have been infinitely better than the Trump Shitshow, but I don't think Hillary Clinton is the glorious revolutionary that would undo the damage done by Reagan decoupling wage growth from GDP.

Yeah, basically. After her post-Secretary of State victory tour across Wall Street, there's no reason to think she'd have any incentive to stop that ball rolling. Quite the opposite.

I guess at least she wouldn't have re-imposed Don't Ask Don't Tell (one off the list for Trump), nor would she have funded the DARE program, nor would she have been caught getting her dick sucked in the Oval Office, so maybe her administration would have looked okay next to her husband's. Who knows. But she would have been very kind to rich people job creators.

Anyway, this was a good episode. I usually watch out of curiosity and get a mild chuckle or two, but I lost it at the interstitial with "suck his own cock" and some of the Alex Jones stuff. I actually know somebody who buys that poo poo hook line and sinker (literally, the male vitality and brain power or whatever it was) so it was extremely cathartic.

Agreed that a few rich people might buy the wipes. For DWB, I'd consider it if I had the gently caress-you money to justify it. But people who don't require charitable donations to be tax-deductible tend not to wind up with gently caress-you money.

Propaganda Machine fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jul 31, 2017

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

IRQ posted:

Give Trump time.

I'm just saying, actually inflicted evil has got to count for more than evil that will potentially be inflicted.

As it stands right now, on July 31st 2017, Bush is a worse human being than Trump.

I think the only argument you could make where Trump might be worse than Bush, so far, in terms of actual suffering caused, would be on climate. But then if we look at Bush' climate policies, it's not exactly a night and day situation.

None of this is to defend Trump. And I would be the least surprised if Trump were given the kind of power Bush had for 8 years, he'd be able to inflict more suffering, but until he's actually done so, Bush is worse.

In conclusion, gently caress Bush and I'm glad Reagan dead.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jul 31, 2017

Welsh Rarebitch
Jun 5, 2011
Someone please make a supercut of LWT and with all the terrible jokes and yelling to the side cut out, tia.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Orange Devil posted:

I'm just saying, actually inflicted evil has got to count for more than evil that will potentially be inflicted.

As it stands right now, on July 31st 2017, Bush is a worse human being than Trump.

I think the only argument you could make where Trump might be worse than Bush, so far, in terms of actual suffering caused, would be on climate. But then if we look at Bush' climate policies, it's not exactly a night and day situation.

None of this is to defend Trump. And I would be the least surprised if Trump were given the kind of power Bush had for 8 years, he'd be able to inflict more suffering, but until he's actually done so, Bush is worse.

In conclusion, gently caress Bush and I'm glad Reagan dead.

I agree with all of this, but to be fair to Dubya (why would I do this) An Inconvenient Truth hit the mainstream in 2006 and until then many people could be forgiven for not-quite-buying the gravity of the situation we're facing. As a kid in elementary school in the early-mid 90's, Global Warming was a potentially alarming theory with several contributing factors to point to, but the opposition could just as easily say "we have no idea why there's a hole in our O-zone layer and it's loving absurd that cow dung has anything to do with it. Also, rainforests give us our medicines"

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's an interesting choice to do a whole segment on Alex Jones. I didn't specifically know about his sales schemes, but it fits with what I knew already. There are plenty of talk shows like his that put their weight behind bogus pharmaceuticals, and I remember that scaremongering has in the past been a great sales tool for things like survival kits or selling gold while telling viewers the dollar is doomed, so why not combine the two. Like chocolate and chicken bones. The trick of always claiming that you're on the brink is also something I've heard before, I think the leader of the KKK pulls that one to get extra donations.

I guess maybe they wanted a nice easy softball when they came back, especially after the clusterfuck of news that they missed, but it really makes me wonder who they think their audience is. Alex Jones can be real fun to make fun of, but I don't think people who are into him intersect much with viewers of this show. Maybe they're hoping for a response?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

A bargain!

Now they're only $900,000!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Orange Devil posted:

And let's not forget that he, and I am loathe to even appear to be rationalizing this, first asked some lawyers, "what is the most we can do to someone before we have to consider it torture?" Bush at least had the... uhm... let's call it "technical humanity" to make sure what he was doing wasn't technically torture. According to his lawyers. (Now if you'll excuse me, I have to take a shower.)

Trump, on the other hand, is promising to bring it all back, well after the general consensus is that, yes, what Bush did was, in fact, torture.

That is an important difference. One is a guy who doesn't want to be known as a torturer, but he still wants to wring information out of people, so he tries to do it once he gets a note from his lawyer saying what is and isn't OK. The other is a guy promising to do it again with the full knowledge that it was absolutely wrong the first time and that it didn't even generate much useful information. And that is before you even put it into context, which is important too. Because, well, let's face it: we may not want to admit it, but most Americans of all political leanings were at best a little bit slow to say "Hey, let's not do anything crazy" in the months and year immediately following 9/11. Nothing even approaching that scale of attack on our country has happened in the last 15+ years.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Propaganda Machine posted:

I agree with all of this, but to be fair to Dubya (why would I do this) An Inconvenient Truth hit the mainstream in 2006 and until then many people could be forgiven for not-quite-buying the gravity of the situation we're facing. As a kid in elementary school in the early-mid 90's, Global Warming was a potentially alarming theory with several contributing factors to point to, but the opposition could just as easily say "we have no idea why there's a hole in our O-zone layer and it's loving absurd that cow dung has anything to do with it. Also, rainforests give us our medicines"

Your education system being garbage really isn't much of an excuse. My high school education was pretty loving clear on man-made climate change (granted, they exclusively used the term global warming back then, which isn't the extent of the problem, so not the best term) and the kinds of problems it was likely to cause if it continued and this was in like, 2000-2005. Especially in the early years I had some old books that still had whole chapters on acid rain, and yet even in those global warming was clearly talked about as the bigger issue, and acid rain more of an example on how humans can affect their environment negatively, and then through regulation and effort improve the situation.

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's an interesting choice to do a whole segment on Alex Jones. I didn't specifically know about his sales schemes, but it fits with what I knew already. There are plenty of talk shows like his that put their weight behind bogus pharmaceuticals, and I remember that scaremongering has in the past been a great sales tool for things like survival kits or selling gold while telling viewers the dollar is doomed, so why not combine the two. Like chocolate and chicken bones. The trick of always claiming that you're on the brink is also something I've heard before, I think the leader of the KKK pulls that one to get extra donations.

I guess maybe they wanted a nice easy softball when they came back, especially after the clusterfuck of news that they missed, but it really makes me wonder who they think their audience is. Alex Jones can be real fun to make fun of, but I don't think people who are into him intersect much with viewers of this show. Maybe they're hoping for a response?

Alex Jones literally has the ear of your president, is seen as a significantly more respectable individual than the grand wizard of the loving KKK, yet casually and repeatedly shits on the victims, survivors and family members of victims and survivors of an elementary school mass murder for money and attention. He's one of the worst your country has to offer, yet manages to stand out even in that very crowded gutter. He's the Ted Cruz of far right punditry. gently caress Alex Jones, I hope he has a debilitating aneurysm, suffers profoundly, and then dies.

tarlibone posted:

And let's not forget that he, and I am loathe to even appear to be rationalizing this, first asked some lawyers, "what is the most we can do to someone before we have to consider it torture?" Bush at least had the... uhm... let's call it "technical humanity" to make sure what he was doing wasn't technically torture. According to his lawyers. (Now if you'll excuse me, I have to take a shower.)

Trump, on the other hand, is promising to bring it all back, well after the general consensus is that, yes, what Bush did was, in fact, torture.

That is an important difference. One is a guy who doesn't want to be known as a torturer, but he still wants to wring information out of people, so he tries to do it once he gets a note from his lawyer saying what is and isn't OK. The other is a guy promising to do it again with the full knowledge that it was absolutely wrong the first time and that it didn't even generate much useful information. And that is before you even put it into context, which is important too. Because, well, let's face it: we may not want to admit it, but most Americans of all political leanings were at best a little bit slow to say "Hey, let's not do anything crazy" in the months and year immediately following 9/11. Nothing even approaching that scale of attack on our country has happened in the last 15+ years.

Why are we treating the torturer and murderer who first spends time trying to figure out how to get away with it with more respect, exactly? Bush, Cheney et al knew exactly what they were doing, they just had the good sense to fire up the propaganda machine to conceal their actions first. Trump, too, has fired up his propaganda machine before doing anything, and due to the pro-torture shift brought about by Bush admin propaganda and actions in the first place, taking a baldly pro-torture position is now a thing that is politically acceptable to a sizable minority of Americans. There is no general consensus in American society that what you fuckers did was torture, and that torture is wrong. I know more than enough Americans to know that that is a lie.

If it wasn't a lie, you'd have prosecutions and convictions. You'd have truth and reconciliation commissions. You'd have a loving apology. Instead all anyone got was a "we tortured some folks".

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 31, 2017

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
And just like that, the Mooch is Loose

Gone so soon

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

"Contains a Bacteria ONLY FOUND IN COMETS!!!!!!!!! ...

... and blueberries."

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

If bacteria are in comets, isn't that proof of extraterrestrial life?

Why is NASA hiding this from us?!

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Maybe the LWT team wants to get sued by Jones and slaughter him in the court like that coal mining guy.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
I thought he said it's only found in comics, like it's superpowerful or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Orange Devil posted:

gently caress Alex Jones, I hope he has a debilitating aneurysm, suffers profoundly, and then dies.

If we're going to make wishes I'd personally wish he'd get caught in a huge scandal that loses him all credibility with his fanbase, that he then proceeds to waste or otherwise lose all his money somehow and that he spends years in obscurity as a pauper with time to think about all the lovely things he's said and done. I think it's both more humane and more painful for someone who seems to value celebrity and wealth above any kind of morals or ethics. I'd probably wish the situation would make him a better person and that he'd go on after a decade or more in obscurity with no money to give talks for a living on how he'd hosed over people and it wasn't really worth it in the end, making a living by trying to better himself and better educate his old base while donating money to charities helping the people whose lives he smeared or destroyed. Wishing him a painful death is more immediately satisfying on a visceral level, but wishing him life and wisdom seems emotionally satisfying.

Kikkoman posted:

I thought he said it's only found in comics, like it's superpowerful or something.

I thought he said that too, though I figured he meant it was so good it was like something you'd only find in fiction.

• Locked thread