Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I don't even have a problem with euron, I have a problem with how long Dany sat on dragonstone to give olenna time to get to highgarden while Jamie also moved an army there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Clearly those goofy angled yardarms of Euron's dumb oarless galleass are the antennas for the Chronosphere in the hold. It all makes perfect sense if you think about it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

even by that hilarious reasoning it wouldn't make any sense for euron's fleet to be able to get to casterly rock at the same time as the unsullied.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
apparently HBO's Game of Thrones takes place in a place called Westeros that is precisely nothing like the Westeros described or shown in HBO's Game of Thrones

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Seriously, have they ever once shown a map with King's Landing and Casterly Rock on it, or mentioned how far apart they are, or how many days' rides it is, or anything at all?

Right here you stupid twat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdoXcetfSh8

It's at the beginning of every goddamn episode. You've seen it 63 times.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

there's no characters in that stating how far apart things are so they don't matter

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Ola posted:

Just pause the show and wait for enough time to pass.

This has the added benefit of spacing out whiny posts about the acceleration of the plot.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

KyloWinter posted:

Right here you stupid twat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdoXcetfSh8

It's at the beginning of every goddamn episode. You've seen it 63 times.

Casterly Rock isn't in this video. Nice work!

I'll save you a trip to Youtube - Casterly Rock wasn't even shown in last night's episodes opening credits.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The show has given us zero reasons to believe you can't do it, and they've demonstrated that you can.

What's the counter point?

In addition to what everyone else is saying we have a control group of the other fleet that traveled the same distance without making several gratuitous stops to get to the same destination

It is over the top how much you're going to bat for this show lol

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Casterly Rock isn't in this video. Nice work!

I'll save you a trip to Youtube - Casterly Rock wasn't even shown in last night's episodes opening credits.

I gotta admit you're doing a wonderful troll job

now explain how olenna got to highgarden from dragonstone before Jamie, and especially now no one noticed him leaving King's landing and getting word to either highgarden or dragonstone. I'm fine with Jamie meeting his army outside highgarden.

oh and explain how the gently caress Dany has supplies to keep her giant army fed on a desolate rock while all this troop movement happens. remember that stannis was explicitly killed due to his troops having no food and the cold, so it is relevant in the show that armies be fed

feel free to have Robb or Sansa's teleporting armies prove me wrong though

next episode preview shows Dany knowing about the unsullied being stranded so clearly this is all happening fast enough for her to get on a dragon and go smash the Lannister army returning to King's landing. if she didn't know about the unsullied there wouldn't be a problem - they could've just gotten there a month after the highgarden events and no one would be the wiser

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jul 31, 2017

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I absolutely dare either of you to demonstrate that you know exactly when Olenna and Euron departed compared to when Jamie and the Unsullied departed.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
At this point they shouldn't even be worried about Winter lasting for years because of the time travel teleportation poo poo.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Shneak posted:

time travel teleportation poo poo.

This has never once happened.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'm pretty sure the only thing we actually know is that Cersei thought it would take two weeks to march on and capture Highgarden.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

even by that hilarious reasoning it wouldn't make any sense for euron's fleet to be able to get to casterly rock at the same time as the unsullied.

He's a great sailor, they're crap sailors, also they wasted some time laying siege to Casterly Rock and preparing the attack. Not to mention how hard it is to piss over the side without a dick.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Shneak posted:

At this point they shouldn't even be worried about Winter lasting for years because of the time travel teleportation poo poo.

well actually we never saw a winter take place so there is no evidence or inclination to believe this

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ola posted:

He's a great sailor, they're crap sailors, also they wasted some time laying siege to Casterly Rock and preparing the attack. Not to mention how hard it is to piss over the side without a dick.

Also notice that in the wide shot of Euron hitting the Unsullied fleet, every ship was like a meek little transport boat and not warships

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

HBO's Game of Thrones takes place on a tract of land approximately 10 square miles

prove me wrong

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I absolutely dare either of you to demonstrate that you know exactly when Olenna and Euron departed compared to when Jamie and the Unsullied departed.

I mean the Unsullied almost certainly left at the same time that the Greyjoys did since they had significantly(* OR IS IT??) farther to go and no reason to stick around. I presume Euron departed at least a day after that since he attacked his niece's fleet at night and was at King's Landing during the day soaking up the admiration and standing around being congratulated in the throne room.

But even if the answer is "you're right, I don't know, there could be several explanations for this" my complaint is that this isn't well established which is why there is confusion and frustration from people

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

yeah, but consider this: it has

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Didn't some season 2 scene say it would take Stannis 3 days to sail from dragonstone to KL?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
due to wind and differences in boats there's no real issue with euron catching up. the problem is the unsullied get around westeros and troops march 600 miles in the span of days, not months.

I'm also fairly sure seasons 1-3 constantly mention how long troop movements take but I'm sure as gently caress not going to go hunt them down

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jul 31, 2017

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Guy A. Person posted:

this isn't well established which is why there is confusion and frustration from people

It's only confusing and frustrating if you're trying to make the facts of the show fit with extraneous information. No show watcher is confused in any way by the troop movements from last night.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Gas thread, ban everyone myself included.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
*lots of plot beats happen in single episode*

Insanely stupid normie TV reviewer: Wow the pacing of this show has sped up
Very smart book reader: Characters are literally teleporting

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

banned from Starbucks posted:

Didn't some season 2 scene say it would take Stannis 3 days to sail from dragonstone to KL?

I think you'll find that any evidence to the contrary is entirely inadmissible for [reasons]

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It's only confusing and frustrating if you're trying to make the facts of the show fit with extraneous information. No show watcher is confused in any way by the troop movements from last night.

I didn't quote any extraneous evidence and I think there are show watchers who are confused based on the fact that they are in this thread being confused as we speak

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

galaxy brain: its not possible to fit the facts of the show with the facts of the show

apparently this poor goon can't remember literally anything that happened before season 7

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I've never read the books and the pacing is off.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
We already know an assload of time has passed since the last episode because there was enough time for Jon to get a raven from Dragonstone and travel all the way there from Winterfell.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

KyloWinter posted:

I've never read the books and the pacing is off.

It's off because they sped it up, probably because the show is almost over.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
"How many episodes does a cross-continental trip take" is a thing that changed from Season 1 to Season 7 but it doesn't mean that people in Season 7 are moving too quickly.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
People really dedicate a lot of time towards defending their favorite trash tv dragon show

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Groovelord Neato posted:

are you people even serious anymore.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Like ignore the intro map, the dragonstone map, and cersei map we have characters talking plainly about distances and time travelled and then those things being thrown out the window with lightning fast pacing that confuses the gently caress out of everybody that isn't a slackjawed buffoon

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Feels Villeneuve posted:

We already know an assload of time has passed since the last episode because there was enough time for Jon to get a raven from Dragonstone and travel all the way there from Winterfell.

so why did stannis get hosed over and not anyone else. that's the real god drat problem.

answer: stannis was doomed to die by the writers and not anyone else. and it's total bullshit and I'm still mad. stannis will be reborn to rule the north as the night King's warden of the south (the neck will have the new wall between the Greyjoy/cersei dynasty and the night King's empire)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Phi230 posted:

Like ignore the intro map, the dragonstone map, and cersei map we have characters talking plainly about distances and time travelled and then those things being thrown out the window with lightning fast pacing that confuses the gently caress out of everybody that isn't a slackjawed buffoon

when a fictional story handwaves away the time something would actually take, it's probably because "and then nothing happened for a few weeks because all the main characters stood around with their thumbs up their assholes waiting for their armies to arrive" is not very important to the story. It is not because someone invented teleportation

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It's off because they sped it up, probably because the show is almost over.

Which is also fair but again, I think expecting things to be paced like the older seasons that people like is a valid criticism. As long as your not insanely triggered by people critiquing your favorite TV show, nobody should have a problem with this.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Phi230 posted:

The intro, dragonstone, and cersei maps don't have the necessary information.

Characters don't talk plainly about distances and time traveled.

It is generally the people who ARE confused who are the slackjawed buffoons.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Feels Villeneuve posted:

when a fictional story handwaves away the time something would actually take, it's probably because "and then nothing happened for a few weeks because all the main characters stood around with their thumbs up their assholes waiting for their armies to arrive" is not very important to the story. It is not because someone invented teleportation

season 5: logistics and food matter and the most competent general on earth loses because of this

season 7: actually, they don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adonis
Oct 15, 2004
Greek gods almighty!

Phi230 posted:

Posts like this really do mean that the show has killed what made Got unique

are you talking about that war of the roses bullshit

• Locked thread