Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

You gotta admit that the insane Sultan 2/3rds of the nobles want dead being zealous and backed by most of the Ulema is not a good look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

How odd that defeat had made the chorus of traitorous voices so much louder! Shout as hard as you can! Shriek like pests you are! Your mad Sultan may even make out a word or two beyond his delusions, but know this: you will fail.

Al-Andalus belongs to the Majlis, and nothing can change that!

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Cure for cancer discovered!
Court physicians hate him!
Neither the Ulema or the Taifas can really be blamed for what's about to go down, since they were both really small this session and didn't have much room to maneuver. Instead, it was the two largest factions who are the real power players - with most of the Loyalists backing the sultan, and most of the Merchants backing the Majlis. As a result, it's probably gonna be the fate of these two factions that hangs in the balance, come the end of the Fitna. So if the Majlis comes out on top, the Jizrunid Loyalists will very likely be disbanded (and, you know, if the sultan prevails, then the entire majlis is dissolved.)

There were a couple loyalists who ended up siding with the Majlis, though, so if thing's go south for the Sultan, they'll probably have the choice to form a new faction.

Backing the Sultan

Mountaineer (ulema), Hitlers Gay Secret (taifas), Snipee (loyalist), Ralepozozaxe (ulema), kibaces (none), Flavius Belisarius (loyalist), HiHo ChiRho (loyalist), Odysseus S. Grant (loyalist), Slaan (loyalist), Vinny Possum (ulema), crimea (none), Mr.Morgenstern (none), ThatBasqueGuy (loyalist), Zakrelo (loyalist), CommissarMega (none), sheep-dodger (none), Affi (none), QuoProQuid (none), Chatrapati (ulema), Erwin the German (loyalist), gbuchold (loyalist), Picard Day (none).

1 Taifas - 14% of faction
4 Ulema - 50% of faction
0 Merchants - 0% of faction
9 Loyalists - 64% of faction

Backing the Majlis

Rodyle (taifas), Ikasuhito (merchant), mcclay (loyalist), Danny Glands (none), Weebus (none), catlord (taifas), RZApublican (taifas), the JJ (merchant), MuteAllison (none), AJ_Impy (ulema), WilliamAnderson (merchant), everydayfalls (merchant), Lord Cyrahzax (taifas), Yvonmukluk (merchant), Grizzwold (none), Talas (merchant), paragon1 (merchant), HannibalBarca (none), Captain Oblivious (merchant), Quorum (none), The Bold Kobold (merchant), GunnerJ (merchant), ZearothK (merchant), Nine of Eight (none), TheFlyingLlama (none), Dance Officer (merchant), Rubix Squid (merchant), Soup du Jour (merchant), Frionnel (taifas), Technowolf (merchant), Agean90 (none), Aeromancia (merchant), Viola the Mad (none), Crazycryodude (loyalist), unwantedplatypus (loyalist), RagnarokZ (none), Camoes (merchant), devildragon777 (ulema), Lynneth (none), Luhood (taifas), Buzzsaw Roomba (none), TyrsHTML (none).

6 Taifas - 85% of faction
2 Ulema - 25% of faction
17 Merchants - 89% of faction
3 Loyalists - 21% of faction

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Well done people. Most of us have made the right decision in opposing this mad tyrant who would wipe away our ancient rights. Sadly not all have seen the light. Many in this very hall have turned their backs on our nation and given in to shortsightedness. We must be ever watchful for these traitors less they bring this great nation crashing down. To that end I have begun to compile a list of Twenty Two known traitors, so that we may know our enemy.

Sadly I dont have more time or I would have put little AVs on the sheet:v:

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
Our opponents cannot even take the time to make fine art backing their cause, how pathetic.

So much for the tolerant Dhimmi!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Whatever you're doing thread, don't stop. :allears:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
A lone taifa standing against his own brethren. Never thought it would come to this.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

See people? Even when we hosed up, us Merchants know how to get things interesting.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

A lone taifa standing against his own brethren. Never thought it would come to this.

If only you'd learned to appreciate parliamentary procedure!

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
We should really be looking out for the (none) Faction in the future, they have 22 members!

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Rodyle posted:

If only you'd learned to appreciate parliamentary procedure!

How can I appreciate something I hate in real life? :gbsmith:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Captain Oblivious posted:

Hopefully we can eliminate the Ulema entirely since they mostly sided with the Sultan. Their treatment of the Dhimmi mocks the traditions and institutions of Al-Andalus :colbert:

How dare you! The Ulama have been a part of the Majils since the very beginning, and we stand with you now, at your side, even as you try to paint us as the enemy.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

AJ_Impy posted:

How dare you! The Ulama have been a part of the Majils since the very beginning, and we stand with you now, at your side, even as you try to paint us as the enemy.

Your ilk conspired with the mad Sultan to engage in acts illegal and in contravention of the sacred traditions of our nation. Rats fleeing a sinking ship I tell you :colbert:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Captain Oblivious posted:

Your ilk conspired with the mad Sultan to engage in acts illegal and in contravention of the sacred traditions of our nation. Rats fleeing a sinking ship I tell you :colbert:

Conspired with the Sultan? It was the Merchants who were in power, and for whom he waged war. He utterly refused our advice, in contravention of all the Majil's history. Your anger is misdirected, your anti-ulama agenda clear. We are your allies, unless you wish to go and stand over there with those who worship madness.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Ikasuhito posted:

To that end I have begun to compile a list of Twenty Two known traitors, so that we may know our enemy.

Ralepozozaxe posted:

So much for the tolerant Dhimmi!

These are great, added to OP.

Zakrelo
Dec 19, 2015
Once the rebellious advisers are quelled, the Sultan will need to establish a new flag representing the inseparable nature of the Jizrunid dynasty and Al-Andalus.

Lets add a dash of classic Jizrunid yellow...

Wait, not lemon enough...

Perfect.

I didn't upload these way back during the conversion because man, Jizrunid yellow is not very flattering.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Zakrelo posted:

Once the rebellious advisers are quelled, the Sultan will need to establish a new flag representing the inseparable nature of the Jizrunid dynasty and Al-Andalus.

Lets add a dash of classic Jizrunid yellow...

Wait, not lemon enough...

Perfect.

I didn't upload these way back during the conversion because man, Jizrunid yellow is not very flattering.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

This thread is cool and good and needs more castrations

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
I miss the castrations.

And the Devil.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Laws of Succession: Jizrunid - The son with the least amount of discernible appendages inherits

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Despite being a time of great contention, the late 1600's proved to be a period great artistic growth in Al-Andalus. Here we see one of the most striking pieces of the Era, Al-Dwaud Muhsin's Jizrunid Scream.

Ralepozozaxe fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Aug 1, 2017

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Wow our artists are pretty advanced if they're producing late 19th century art in the 17th century.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
There better be large penalties on the sealoving Merchants' ability to wage a ground campaign against our gifted Sultan. I don't even understand the narrative logic of how the Merchants could possibly challenge a true soldier of the faith. This isn't a naval war; this is a land war. :colbert:

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Please don't stop making fanart, thread, tia.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Snipee posted:

There better be large penalties on the sealoving Merchants' ability to wage a ground campaign against our gifted Sultan. I don't even understand the narrative logic of how the Merchants could possibly challenge a true soldier of the faith. This isn't a naval war; this is a land war. :colbert:

Good thing we also have the vast bulk of the Taifas, then. We have the land, we have the sea, we have the one true faith. You have trying to pretend a madman isn't mad.

:respek::respek:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Look, what they lack in naval power, armies, and conviction they more than make up for in... uh... being a bunch of weak-willed sycophants??

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

A plurality of the Ulema backed king chuckles, let's not forget that.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3
Count your chickens when they hatch, infidels. You may have ships... and colonies... and probably armies... and money... but we go with the blessings of the Greatest!

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Erwin the German posted:

Count your chickens when they hatch, infidels. You may have ships... and colonies... and probably armies... and money... but we go with the blessings of the Greatest!

Look, I get that you guys like the Sultan so much that you would die for him, but calling him the Greatest is a BIT much.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3

paragon1 posted:

Look, I get that you guys like the Sultan so much that you would die for him, but calling him the Greatest is a BIT much.

Pah, you knew what I meant, ingrate... though if you wish to compare our august Sultan to Allah, then I welcome you to our side! :colbert:

Erwin the German fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Aug 1, 2017

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Erwin the German posted:

Pah, you knew what I meant, ingrate... though if you wish to compare our august Sultan to Allah, then I welcome you to our side!

I think properly speaking our zealot Sultan would kill you for doing this.

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

Mountaineer posted:

:confused: So you prefer the ship to be steered by a committee of crazy people instead?

Yes, at least then its our own fault when it all goes off the rails. I'm still new to this but I would like to throw my support to the League of Merchants . I'll mention this again the next time a vote comes up.

TyrsHTML fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Aug 1, 2017

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Rodyle posted:

A plurality of the Ulema backed king chuckles, let's not forget that.

Neither side can claim a majority of the Ulema: A sizable chunk of our brethren are praying for the souls of all Andalusi, leaving the matter in the hands of Allah. Those on both sides put the Almighty, the Most Merciful first and foremost: Some of us may be wrong on political matters, and history will show who, but we are all faithful in our duty to Islam. Whoever wins, the Ulema will continue as one, when all is said and done.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

An Andalusi doctor shows Europeans how to cure cancer.

Also a big laugh at anyone who thinks the Ulema make it out of this alive either way. Even if only one or none of us had sided with the Sultan they would still be calling for our death. When it became obvious early on that the Ulema would need to be in power to really convert provinces at a good pace and keep things stable, everyone decided it wasn't worth wasting a session were you couldn't war or colonize with full force and decided to kill us slowly by adding Dhimmi and choosing Humanism. At this point we can only really build mosques and universities and that's it. Everyone else gets to make big flashy decisions, and were just twiddling our thumbs because its the only thing we can do.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

The Ulema feels like it's about due for a transition from the clergy faction to the secular intellectuals faction. Build more universities, develop the homeland, pick up Innovative Ideas.

Granted, that's kinda boring in relation to the foreign policy blunders adventures blunders of the other factions, but the Ulema have always been internally focused.

Zakrelo
Dec 19, 2015

Everything I could ever have wanted.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Ralepozozaxe posted:

An Andalusi doctor shows Europeans how to cure cancer.

Also a big laugh at anyone who thinks the Ulema make it out of this alive either way. Even if only one or none of us had sided with the Sultan they would still be calling for our death. When it became obvious early on that the Ulema would need to be in power to really convert provinces at a good pace and keep things stable, everyone decided it wasn't worth wasting a session were you couldn't war or colonize with full force and decided to kill us slowly by adding Dhimmi and choosing Humanism. At this point we can only really build mosques and universities and that's it. Everyone else gets to make big flashy decisions, and were just twiddling our thumbs because its the only thing we can do.

Oh, there's far more that we can do than that. We just need to be vicious vindictive blindingly stupid convinced of our own genius despite all evidence to the contrary cunning about it. See what levers are there to pull. See where pressure can be applied. See to it that Allah's Will is done by the means available to us. To give up who we are and what we do is to miss out on what we are capable of.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Whatever happens during the Fitna, the Ulema won't be forced to disband. However, if its remaining members feel like they need to transform or something, then I'd be willing to let them form a new faction (if you like, you could probably establish it with the rogue Loyalists who sided with the Majlis.)

On the other hand, the Ulema didn't have much say in what happened, so I won't be forcing anything on them. The Jizrunid Loyalists will bear the brunt of the punishment if the Sultan loses the Fitna, since it was them who empowered him in the first place.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
At least half the loyalist Ulama have no desire to reform what it means to be Ulama. If I get outvoted by more than one other Loyalist Ulama, then we can talk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
I'm gonna start me a faction not of the king, not the wealthy merchants, nor the Nobles, but of the people. All of the Meiji as well as the Ruler send our people to their deaths in poorly fought wars as well as often raided colonies to line their own greedy pockets. We will rise up and be heard.