Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

genericnick posted:

What was the name of the person with the truck that told Andy to meet him somewhere? Could that have been Billy?

I thought so, too. In any case, I'm guessing it's the same Billy who the guy who ran into the RR was looking for at the end of ep. 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Catsplosion posted:

I'm sticking with Richard being Audrey and evil Coops rape child until proven otherwise.

Yeah the absurd lengths that people will go to to think it's anything else is getting pretty stupid

also anyone defending the Audrey scene is a damned fool. it's ok to not like things that Lynch has done, guys! nobody will think any less of you!

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah the absurd lengths that people will go to to think it's anything else is getting pretty stupid

also anyone defending the Audrey scene is a damned fool. it's ok to not like things that Lynch has done, guys! nobody will think any less of you!

Lol but it's not ok to like it apparently

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Escobarbarian posted:

I didn't mind the Audrey scene because it's nice to have her back on the show and I honestly didn't notice it ate up 11 minutes of runtime. Cole's French friend is a far worse offender, IMO. Don't get me wrong, it was really funny to see horny Cole make Albert wait, but the scene ran on like a bad family guy joke and Albert's reveal wasn't even a reveal. It was just shameless trolling from Lynch.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

I honestly can't even begin to understand what clues have led people to believe that Evil Coop had anything to do with Audrey, much less rape and impregnate her while in a coma. Where are the clues??

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
^^^ woah watch out now or you're going to catch some massive shade in some podcast

tap my mountain posted:

Lol but it's not ok to like it apparently

the only thing you're supposed to like itt are goons rape fanfics. that's the only verboten thing to make fun of

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Escobarbarian posted:

Sorry bud but the Audrey scene was very good

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
it is super hard to maintain my erection when i see that audrey turned into a middle aged woman over the last quarter century. i'm rating this scene F-

lizard_phunk
Oct 23, 2003

Alt Girl For Norge
Did no one else get an eerie feeling that the sounds from Sarah's kitchen could be related to the poor kid who wanted to deliver her groceries?

Mr. Grumpybones
Apr 18, 2002
"We're falling out of the sky! We're going down! We're a silver gleaming death machine!"

pissdude posted:

I honestly can't even begin to understand what clues have led people to believe that Evil Coop had anything to do with Audrey, much less rape and impregnate her while in a coma. Where are the clues??

I think the clues are:

1) After the end of the second season, Cooper visited two people before departing the town of Twin Peaks: Major Briggs and Audrey Horne. This is mentioned in the "Secret History of Twin Peaks" book that Mark Frost wrote, and mentioned again in the television show, if I recall correctly, when Frank Truman "skypes" with Dr. Hayward.

2) 25 years later, Audrey seems to have a son who is morally-challenged and is named Richard. The show hasn't said Richard is Audrey's son, but the other possibilities consist of Johnny, who is literally retarded; and Donna, who may be Ben Horne's secret daughter. Of course there may be other secret children of Ben, but the show hasn't mentioned any so if there are then it would be figuratively retarded.

3) According to Ben Horne in last night's episode, Richard was always "bad" and had no father.

I think everything is else is people filling in the blanks. Not illogically or anything. This show invites filling-in-the-blanks very well which is one reason it's fun to watch :)

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

pissdude posted:

The reasoning behind the theory is:
-Of Ben Horne's three children, only Audrey makes sense as Richard Horne's parent; Johnny is unlikely for obvious reasons, and if he were Donna's son he'd be Richard Hayward
-Doc Hayward tells Sheriff Frank Truman over Skype that Evil Cooper visited Audrey in hospital shortly after he exited the Black Lodge
-Evil Cooper is inhabited by Bob, a serial rapist
-According to Ben in this episode, Richard never knew his father; Evil Cooper left Twin Peaks and went off the grid very shortly after emerging
-Richard and Evil Cooper are both hosed up criminal hedonists

It is perfectly possible that Richard is the son of John Justice Wheeler, or some other long-gone dude that Audrey might have met after she got out of the hospital. But the above points seem to be adding up in a nasty way.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

pissdude posted:

IIRC it goes back to some stuff in the Secret History of Twin Peaks (plus the whole 'there are only so many people who could be parents to Ben Horne's grandson' thing).

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Jesus some of you people...

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm hoping it's Donna's kid. They gave Harry cancer and turned the Man into a weird tree, it would be fitting to give Donna a little poo poo kid.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
hahah I just noticed that Jennifer Jason Leigh has ANOTHER BAG OF loving CHEETOS

I mean we don't see the front but there's no way it's anything else

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
Both Audrey and Annie were in the ICU when Mr. C visited the unit. Doc Hayward, thinking it was normal Coop, assumed he was looking in on Audrey specifically. We know from FWWM that Annie had the jade ring, and we know that Dougie ended up with it at least 6 years later (and it's highly likely that Mr. C is involved with Dougie's existence). For all we actually know, he could've gone in there to get the ring. It's possible he did more than just get the ring, but again it's not anywhere close to explicit at this point.

You don't have to make ridiculous leaps of logic to think that there could be another explanation, as much as some would like to think so.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Man the Dr. Amp scene is probably worse than the Audrey scene actually. It's just exactly the same as the other two, with no new reveals. At least in the second one we got the name of the store. Least it's fairly short though.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Oh I forgot about the assassination scene, I loved the argument about torturing the guy vs going straight Wendy's. A very real situation that normally wouldn't be televised except it's involving something very abnormal.

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that
I'm starting to feel that it's more and more likely that John Justice Wheeler could be Richard Horne's other parent. It would fit in with David Lynch's overarching obsession with the unseemly aspects hiding under the surface of old-timely Americana wholesomeness.

I'm not ruling out the Booper theory, but it seems logistically unlikely that he could knock up Audrey during visiting hours in an ICU at a fully-staffed hospital, especially if he valued keeping his cover as regular Cooper. Then again, we don't know if he ever encountered her again or not after she got out of the coma.

It would really be something if he turned out to be Donna and James' kid, though.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

pissdude posted:

Well, the big one is the conversation that Truman had with Doc Hayward, where he talked about Cooper coming out of the intensive care ward (where Audrey was) and having a "strange face". That, plus hearing that he never had a father and is the appropriate age, raises eyebrows a little bit. There's also the fact that Richard seems capable of extremely sadistic and destructive acts this season, so it would make sense that he could have a strong connection to the main source of evil on the show - BOB/DoppelCoop.

It feels a bit telegraphed for Lynch, however, but who knows.

I really wanted to agree with people that there's a very real sense of sadness and melancholy that permeates the atmosphere of the show, and I think it's entirely appropriate. I feel as if it accurately echoes the tenor of the world we're living in right now, in a way. I love that in David Lynch's world, smartphones exist side-by-side with a CB radio in a VW van, or a rotary land-phone. That you still have a sheriff station where Lucy operates the landline, but they hired an actual competent person to run an actual modern switchboard in the back. Dr. Amp's show is a wonderland of old tech and new tech all patched together.

It just feels very appropriate in an odd way, and I can't think of any other show that could believably have a character using a rotary phone set in this decade. I agree that whole scene with Audrey browbeating her husband to force him to go out and search for her missing lover (!) with her was utterly brilliant and awesome. It was like... Anti-fan-service. And Lynch knew EXACTLY what he was doing, and having it finish with one half of a tantalizing phone conversation where the most we get is Charlie finishing with "UNBELIEVABLE, what you're telling me here..." and then saying nothing... Ah, man. So perfect.

For those of us who don't believe television/film need necessarily adhere to any structured set of rules or that a show is allowed to blow the audiences expectations to smithereens now and then, I think it was a pretty drat awesome scene.

Lynch could have made Audrey look prettier. He could have had her as a Vegas sexpot diva who happens to perform in front of Coop/Dougie and the Mitchum Bros., and Lynch could have had her serenading Dougie in a private show where we aren't sure if it's Audrey or what her motives are, and awaken his inner Agent Cooper with a final knockout kiss.

Lynch COULD have done that. Or something like it. And there would have likely been people who would think Audrey appearing in such a manner would be awesome. Or something. And I don't mean that derisively. There IS place for that kind of storytelling, and I don't even dislike it. But man, this is fuckin Twin Peaks and David Lynch, so whatever you think you might want is NOT what you're going to get. At all. Again, I loved this episode (and Episode 10). They buck expectations completely and are a good deal deeper than a more 'normal' episode.

I don't even begin to understand the people who call this episode "filler". There's no such thing as "filler" in art. Yes, this is a commercial enterprise, but first and foremost it's one of the last remaining great auteurs creating something amazing. Claiming that entire sections of it are "filler" when you haven't even seen the whole thing and have no clue what may or may not ultimately be important is beyond absurd, to me. In general people using the term "filler" to describe an episode just because it didn't happen to advance the main plot in the timely and efficient manner that they would like or that they expect really pisses me off. Seriously, just grow up and learn to appreciate something different once in a while, christ.

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

father of three with an extra large butt

kaworu posted:

Well, the big one is the conversation that Truman had with Doc Hayward, where he talked about Cooper coming out of the intensive care ward (where Audrey was) and having a "strange face". That, plus hearing that he never had a father and is the appropriate age, raises eyebrows a little bit. There's also the fact that Richard seems capable of extremely sadistic and destructive acts this season, so it would make sense that he could have a strong connection to the main source of evil on the show - BOB/DoppelCoop.

I really wanted to agree with people that there's a very real sense of sadness and melancholy that permeates the atmosphere of the show, and I think it's entirely appropriate. I feel as if it accurately echoes the tenor of the world we're living in right now, in a way. I love that in David Lynch's world, smartphones exist side-by-side with a CB radio in a VW van, or a rotary land-phone. That you still have a sheriff station where Lucy operates the landline, but they hired an actual competent person to run an actual modern switchboard in the back. Dr. Amp's show is a wonderland of old tech and new tech all patched together.

It just feels very appropriate in an odd way, and I can't think of any other show that could believably have a character using a rotary phone set in this decade. I agree that whole scene with Audrey browbeating her husband to force him to go out and search for her missing lover (!) with her was utterly brilliant and awesome. It was like... Anti-fan-service. And Lynch knew EXACTLY what he was doing, and having it finish with one half of a tantalizing phone conversation where the most we get is Charlie finishing with "UNBELIEVABLE, what you're telling me here..." and then saying nothing... Ah, man. So perfect.

For those of us who don't believe television/film need necessarily adhere to any structured set of rules or that a show is allowed to blow the audiences expectations to smithereens now and then, I think it was a pretty drat awesome scene.

Lynch could have made Audrey look prettier. He could have had her as a Vegas sexpot diva who happens to perform in front of Coop/Dougie and the Mitchum Bros., and Lynch could have had her serenading Dougie in a private show where we aren't sure if it's Audrey or what her motives are, and awaken his inner Agent Cooper with a final knockout kiss.

Lynch COULD have done that. Or something like it. And there would have likely been people who would think Audrey appearing in such a manner would be awesome. Or something. And I don't mean that derisively. There IS place for that kind of storytelling, and I don't even dislike it. But man, this is fuckin Twin Peaks and David Lynch, so whatever you think you might want is NOT what you're going to get. At all. Again, I loved this episode (and Episode 10). They buck expectations completely and are a good deal deeper than a more 'normal' episode.

I don't even begin to understand the people who call this episode "filler". There's no such thing as "filler" in art. Yes, this is a commercial enterprise, but first and foremost it's one of the last remaining great auteurs creating something amazing. Claiming that entire sections of it are "filler" when you haven't even seen the whole thing and have no clue what may or may not ultimately be important is beyond absurd, to me. In general people using the term "filler" to describe an episode just because it didn't happen to advance the main plot in the timely and efficient manner that they would like or that they expect really pisses me off. Seriously, just grow up and learn to appreciate something different once in a while, christ.

these people are probably on their phone the whole while they have the show on

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

that scene of a character that we've never seen before talking for 15 minutes to a character that hasn't been in the season at all about a bunch of other characters we've almost literally never heard and appear to have no nearly no significance to any current plot lines was real great engaging stuff...

NOT!

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Kurtofan posted:

Audrey's still hot

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

kaworu posted:

Sir, this is a McDonald's drive thru

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

kaworu posted:

But man, this is fuckin Twin Peaks and David Lynch, so whatever you think you might want is NOT what you're going to get.

Well, I wanted Michael Cera to play Andy and Lucy's son immediately after the cast list was released and I got what I wanted and it was great.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Audrey was always hot

Mahasamatman
Nov 8, 2006

Flame on the trail headed for the powder keg
The french girl in the red dress was an interpretive dance to tell us how the story is gonna go to close out the season, just like in the movie.

That's what I woke up thinking to myself this morning but I watched the scene again and I have no idea.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Oh man, this is like Cartman's dad all over again.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
What if Richard is adopted

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

father of three with an extra large butt

Tolkien minority posted:

that scene of a character that we've never seen before talking for 15 minutes to a character that hasn't been in the season at all about a bunch of other characters we've almost literally never heard and appear to have no nearly no significance to any current plot lines was real great engaging stuff...

NOT!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyr8w6qKK6A&t=216s

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
kaworu, could you please explain what about the Audrey scene you actually liked? as in, besides just "it wasn't what people wanted or expected which is genius!!!!!"?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Escobarbarian posted:

kaworu, could you please explain...

Nooooooooooooooo

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
hahaha his analysis posts are really great imo. it's only th rose-coloured glasses ones that bother me. like the ones that give Lynch fans a bad name because they're doing that whole "if you don't like this scene you're not as smart as me and you don't understand the GEEEENIUS" thing.

lizard_phunk
Oct 23, 2003

Alt Girl For Norge

Escobarbarian posted:

kaworu, could you please explain what about the Audrey scene you actually liked? as in, besides just "it wasn't what people wanted or expected which is genius!!!!!"?

To add to this: it was actually what I hoped for and it was 100% Lynch. Some people just like that. I was on the edge of my seat for this entire episode and to be honest I felt it was one of the best ones.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

lizard_phunk posted:

To add to this: it was actually what I hoped for and it was 100% Lynch. Some people just like that. I was on the edge of my seat for this entire episode and to be honest I felt it was one of the best ones.

ok, but why was it what you hoped for? why was it 100% Lynch? you see what I'm getting at here?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I like dougie and the scenes w him and I understand that the Cooper I know exists in season 1 and 2

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The Audrey scene seemed like a hint that there's an alternate timeline to me. A world where something completely different is going on with mostly different people.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot
Guys, I've just been LYNCHED on a cosmic scale.

The "globalist conspiracy" is the Black Lodge doppelganger of the ideal of Communism. It looks like happy be-nice-and-share-for-the-children Communism on the outside, but that's an illusion hiding evil autocratic Soros-brand tyrrany. Lynch's support of Bernie is all part of his art.

Anime is pro-individualism, pro-freedom, pro-capitalism and celebrates genuine femininty as well as merit in special individuals, and provides strong female icons that remain feminine despite their power or status. It's a mirror image-inversion of globalist propaganda. It's a good-natured "doppelganger of the doppelganger" to globalist communism. Anime and weeaboo fandom is like the Evolution of the Arm, to globalist communism's Man From Another Place.

The "Experiment/Mother", disgorging streams of mucousy globules containing round, egg-like blobs? Into "water"? Remind you of a certain female presidential candidate's speech?

LYNCH WARNED US ABOUT ALL OF THIS.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Seriously tho Fenn got into some good-rear end shape for returning to the role. She can still make my ladyparts tingle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lizard_phunk
Oct 23, 2003

Alt Girl For Norge

Escobarbarian posted:

ok, but why was it what you hoped for? why was it 100% Lynch? you see what I'm getting at here?

Firstly, it's what I hoped for because it's the most realistic development of a character such as Audrey considering her personality traits in the first two seasons.
Meanwhile, people are pissed off she's not as "hot" anymore, which is hilarious and contrasted sharply with the random slow-mo sexy lady in the hotel scene.

Secondly, I am amazed that Lynch is pulling off what is basically a 20 hour movie. "Why" it is 100% Lynch? Every scence in this episode carries his artistic trademark in my opinion.