Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Here is one thing I actually like more about Chinese culture.

This is going to sound pretty spergy, and you're free to call me a goon or call this like "nice c/p" etc., but I'm really just trying to analyze a cultural thing here.

I think the US is worse about this than Europe, but this whole thing is relatively annoying in most of the west. You always feel obligated by western culture to project a certain facade of being "cool." As I've gone from 20 to 30 years old, it isn't so much "cool" now as it is "projecting an image of doing things that are normal or acceptable uses of time," less than it is just "being cool."

An example of this is how many people list "hiking" as an interest on social media or dating profiles. Why are so many people into hiking? Because saying "Binge watching TV" and "Videogames" does not project the image of cool/acceptable behavior that western society obligates you to project. Hiking projects a good image and is something--when you are called out on it--you can say you like but don't "get to do too often."

I'm mostly talking about poo poo that EVERYONE does and very few will admit or talk about in social situations or list out as one of their main hobbies or at least main ways they waste time.

In China you will get people who just say: "My favorite hobby is Dota. I love to play Dota with my friends. It's such a great game. This weekend I am going to go to the internet cafe and play Dota all night with my friends. Do you want to come play with me?" I find this really refreshing, and I find that Chinese people don't judge everything else about you if you admit to having a hobby that isn't cool or doesn't meet some imagined standard of normalcy.

This facade thing extends to how guarded western people tend to be. It's very tedious and annoying to make friends with people in the US especially. There is always this whole thing going on where you have to give the other person a HUGE "out" to avoid being friends with you or hanging out with you. We do this almost subconsciously, but I noticed it pretty hard after being in China for a year. For instance when you meet someone at a bar who seems cool and you get on really well, one of you might say, "We should hang out again sometime."

This is a super loose commitment you make by suggesting like this, and you leave the other person a giant "out." The other person's out is to just say "Yeah, totally." They COULD take you up later somehow (like if you friended each other on Facebook or whatever), but likely they will not at all. If they actually want to make an effort to be friends with you, they will pretty much have to think of something concrete to suggest right then and there, for instance, "Yeah, on Sunday I'm going to this (music thing), you want to go with me?"

The "out" you have to leave people in the US is so loving strong that they pretty much must make a super concrete response to you if they actually want to be friends or hang out with you again.

If you both end up hanging out together from here, I find that usually you have to accept each following invitation no less than two times or the friendship will complete dissolve. The reason this happens is that each person is so worried about leaving the "out" there. "Maybe they don't really like hanging out with me that much, and they said they couldn't hang out this time, so I'll just let it go (forever, never contacting them again) in case they actually don't want to hang out more."

The advantage of this, of course, is that when you meet someone at a bar who you actually cant' stand, you can VERY EASILY get out of ever having to hang out with them, and you don't even have to sound mean doing it. Just say "yeah totally" whenever they suggest hanging out, and never follow up or commit to anything. If they break the social cues and try to keep inviting you to stuff, you can always just ignore the messages or invitations by replying "Yeah I might stop by" or something. the whole social fabric here is heavily weighted toward not actually wanting to ever hang out with new people. It's good if you have a group of friends you like and don't want to meet new people, but it sucks if you just moved somewhere and/or if you generally are not extroverted and good at meeting/befriending people.

Going back to China, in China you have the complete opposite end where people will come right up to you and say, "Hello, do you want to make friends with me?"

Then you say, "Yes."

Then they say, "Great, we will go to barbecue tomorrow night with my friends, I will introduce you to my friends, and we all can make friends together."

The tradeoff here is that it can be really annoying to get rid of someone you don't actually like hanging out with. I had one Chinese friend in Chongqing where he'd text me like every few days, "What are we doing this weekend? Hot pot?" And I didn't really like hanging out with him, so at some point I just had to ghost him. My "Uhh not sure about this weekend" and other vague responses that would have completely gotten me out of being friends with him in the US were totally ineffective in Chinese culture. I either had to ghost him, or tell him something really blunt like, "Hey I am too busy to be friends with you anymore, sorry!"

So each culture here has advantages and disadvantages (lol), but I genuinely do prefer how it is in China. I don't have the energy or effort to do the "I am too cool to be friends" dance in the US, and I'd rather just have to ghost people from time to time and have it be easier to make friends with people from the beginning.

angel opportunity fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

angel opportunity posted:

Here is one thing I actually like more about Chinese culture.

This is going to sound pretty spergy, and you're free to call me a goon or call this like "nice c/p" etc., but I'm really just trying to analyze a cultural thing here.

I think the US is worse about this than Europe, but this whole thing is relatively annoying in most of the west. You always feel obligated by western culture to project a certain facade of being "cool." As I've gone from 20 to 30 years old, it isn't so much "cool" now as it is "projecting an image of doing things that are normal or acceptable uses of time," less than it is just "being cool."

An example of this is how many people list "hiking" as an interest on social media or dating profiles. Why are so many people into hiking? Because saying "Binge watching TV" and "Videogames" does not project the image of cool/acceptable behavior that western society obligates you to project. Hiking projects a good image and is something--when you are called out on it--you can say you like but don't "get to do too often."

I'm mostly talking about poo poo that EVERYONE does and very few will admit or talk about in social situations or list out as one of their main hobbies or at least main ways they waste time.

In China you will get people who just say: "My favorite hobby is Dota. I love to play Dota with my friends. It's such a great game. This weekend I am going to go to the internet cafe and play Dota all night with my friends. Do you want to come play with me?" I find this really refreshing, and I find that Chinese people don't judge everything else about you if you admit to having a hobby that isn't cool or doesn't meet some imagined standard of normalcy.

This facade thing extends to how guarded western people tend to be. It's very tedious and annoying to make friends with people in the US especially. There is always this whole thing going on where you have to give the other person a HUGE "out" to avoid being friends with you or hanging out with you. We do this almost subconsciously, but I noticed it pretty hard after being in China for a year. For instance when you meet someone at a bar who seems cool and you get on really well, one of you might say, "We should hang out again sometime."

This is a super loose commitment you make by suggesting like this, and you leave the other person a giant "out." The other person's out is to just say "Yeah, totally." They COULD take you up later somehow (like if you friended each other on Facebook or whatever), but likely they will not at all. If they actually want to make an effort to be friends with you, they will pretty much have to think of something concrete to suggest right then and there, for instance, "Yeah, on Sunday I'm going to this (music thing), you want to go with me?"

The "out" you have to leave people in the US is so loving strong that they pretty much must make a super concrete response to you if they actually want to be friends or hang out with you again.

If you both end up hanging out together from here, I find that usually you have to accept each following invitation no less than two times or the friendship will complete dissolve. The reason this happens is that each person is so worried about leaving the "out" there. "Maybe they don't really like hanging out with me that much, and they said they couldn't hang out this time, so I'll just let it go (forever, never contacting them again) in case they actually don't want to hang out more."

The advantage of this, of course, is that when you meet someone at a bar who you actually cant' stand, you can VERY EASILY get out of ever having to hang out with them, and you don't even have to sound mean doing it. Just say "yeah totally" whenever they suggest hanging out, and never follow up or commit to anything. If they break the social cues and try to keep inviting you to stuff, you can always just ignore the messages or invitations by replying "Yeah I might stop by" or something. the whole social fabric here is heavily weighted toward not actually wanting to ever hang out with new people. It's good if you have a group of friends you like and don't want to meet new people, but it sucks if you just moved somewhere and/or if you generally are not extroverted and good at meeting/befriending people.

Going back to China, in China you have the complete opposite end where people will come right up to you and say, "Hello, do you want to make friends with me?"

Then you say, "Yes."

Then they say, "Great, we will go to barbecue tomorrow night with my friends, I will introduce you to my friends, and we all can make friends together."

The tradeoff here is that it can be really annoying to get rid of someone you don't actually like hanging out with. I had one Chinese friend in Chongqing where he'd text me like every few days, "What are we doing this weekend? Hot pot?" And I didn't really like hanging out with him, so at some point I just had to ghost him. My "Uhh not sure about this weekend" and other vague responses that would have completely gotten me out of being friends with him in the US were totally ineffective in Chinese culture. I either had to ghost him, or tell him something really blunt like, "Hey I am too busy to be friends with you anymore, sorry!"

So each culture here has advantages and disadvantages (lol), but I genuinely do prefer how it is in China. I don't have the energy or effort to do the "I am too cool to be friends" dance in the US, and I'd rather just have to ghost people from time to time and have it be easier to make friends with people from the beginning.

Good posting here. The US/West side of the equation is totally accurate.

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe
The US way is detritus from a culture where everyone was like a few months or years in from a move and needed to make friends quickly but now fewer people move so that's less of a concern

China, everyone there has actually bonafide moved in from buttfuck a few years ago so when you're nice you're literally nice quicker

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
The best chinese singer is and always will be Faye Wong.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

I am frequently asked how I get my skin so white and sometimes I just tell them to try having an Irish grandparent but if I'm bored I like to make up some sort of elaborate TCM-esque food thing like boiling avocados in blended fish juice and rubbing the goop on before bed and hope they actually try it.

My fiancée went to visit some relatives in Vietnam and was continually asked if she was a celebrity because her skin was so pale, but it was because she went in the middle of the Canadian winter and hadn't seen the sun in months.

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

hakimashou posted:

The best chinese singer is and always will be Faye Wong.
I worked for a tailor once that blasted Sam Hui constantly and I didn't mind it. Maybe I was imagining things but it seemed like most of the songs were remixing western melodies.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It can really depend on the social circles you hang out in in north america though. The general norms for all that sort of social stuff here can be radically different from place to place or group to group. I absolutely can't stand flakes and phonies, so people like that are generally cut out of my social circles. Like who the gently caress cares about being "cool" after you hit 30 anyways? You just talk about your interests, you go rock climbing every chance you get, legit love hiking, and play a weekly D&D campaign, you're favourite show is The Expanse. Whatever, who cares. Do people care about this poo poo still? Yet I for sure have met people that 100% match all those north american stereotypes, but they're easy enough to avoid because they're not worth being friends with for the most part.

We get so many stories about "what chinese are like" in this thread but I always wonder about the levels of social diversity in China. From the stories people tell, it sounds much more homogenous than say north america, where it's much more rare to meet people that don't generally follow the general dominant social norms? Depending on the circle of friends or acquaintances I'm with I've learned to expect radically different ideas on the firmness of plans, punctuality, and concern about putting on appearances. Some people I know are full on west coast flakes that put on a chill cool friendly face but are vicious judgemental gossips, others are more dutch/german levels of punctuality and bluntness.

I know my european friends absolutely complain about this exact thing though, people will act like friends but not really be your friend, will make "loose plans" they have no intention of following through on, invitations to time-sensitive things like dinners will see people arriving !!FIFTEEEN!! plus minutes late without shame or apology. My advice though is always, "don't hang around with losers, you'll find the non-flakes" but it sounds like people in China have a real hard time building up circle of like-minded friends (especially male ones)

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
It's kind of irrelevant to point out that you can choose your own circles and that they can vary. Like yeah, obviously you can.

There can be regional variance as well, and especially like "subculture" variance. Still, I've lived in enough places in the US and met enough people from other places to feel that this thing kind of "stretches over" the country as like the default setting. It's going to be most prominent when you are in a "forced" social setting like a girlfriend's work party, for instance. Someplace where you wouldn't really choose to be there, and you are forced into this social setting with a bunch of people you don't know.

I don't think people that are 30-40 care too much about "I need to seem cool," which is why I said that for me it's more about "projecting normalcy" than it is about seeming cool.

In these kinds of situations, I'm not going to tell my girlfriend's boss or coworker whatever that I like to play Street Fighter. It's not that I really care what people think about that, it's just that saying something like that disrupts the social fabric somehow. We really tend to associate things that people do with who they are, and so I'm going to be much more likely to mention other hobbies I have like "reading," or "cooking," in these forced social situations.

The underlying difference here as I perceive it, is that in Chinese culture you are allowed to just be more genuine about certain things. I think in the US we are VERY uncomfortable with people being genuine and unguarded. This is why I've linked the hobby thing with the making friends thing. The most unguarded feeling in the US would be to say to someone, "Hey you're cool I'd really like to be your friend! Let's be friends!" I think everyone has FELT that before, but NO ONE would ever say that out loud because you are totally exposing yourself. Imagine if they don't feel the same way, and imagine the position you are putting them in by saying that.

I have no idea why, but in Chinese culture (from what I've experienced) people just really don't mind being genuine. It's fine to not mask or shield yourself in irony or aloofness or apathy. Maybe this is where "face" can pick up slack, and they can shield themselves in face if things go south? I don't really know, I just know that it's really refreshing in China to meet people and not have to both pretend you don't like each other for like a month before you can just relax and be friends.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

LimburgLimbo posted:

Yeah I was gonna say, you may not like her genre or whatever but calling Teresa Teng a bad singer is dumb as gently caress because she's pretty definitely not?

I said she was popular in Japan as well. Should have tipped him off

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
The thing about not being able to be genuine in the US is funny because people in Japan have this idea that Americans are always straight-forward and tell what they're thinking. The other day a high school student who was writing a college entrance essay asked me about this. She lived in the US for a year so she kind of thought she had a good sense of American culture. Her face fell when I explained that actually Americans lie all the time. Being polite in plenty of social situations requires lying and if you don't lie, people will think you're an rear end in a top hat. After I explained all this she looked super worried and said "Well now I have no idea what to write about now." Lol

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe
I mean, this was more true a long time ago, when the american class system wasn't entrenched

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah every Chinese person ive met has thought Americans can only tell the truth which is hilarious but its probably because Ive never worked with someone from a Chinese based office that does not flat out lie about their work 24/7 and shift blame as hard as possible so they only understand "Americans are truthful and straight forward" in the work place context.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

I am moving to china to teach english!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm not in the US, but I don't imagine Canada is THAT different. Americans/Canadians are absolutely huge flakes compared to a lot of other places but I've not at all seen this idea that you can't be genuine, even at work. I've always quickly learned about all but my most private co-workers shameful or weird interests. You're a grown woman and really into disney princess poo poo, ok. You're a grown man and really into superhero and star wars cartoons, fine. We find the interests that we have some overlap in and can talk about that, genuinely and openly. Be professional yes, but most people I've ever worked with didn't seem concerned with projecting normalcy and the few who did were generally in the 50+ age range. I think in the last 15 years or so the idea of what interests are "normal" has really expanded and people are way less ashamed or judgemental about that sort of thing.

And that ends up being the stereotype I often hear about north americans. They're way too genuine, always honest, always showing their true feelings in any situation even to strangers, this makes them weak and naive.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

BONGHITZ posted:

I am moving to china to teach english!

actually, you are a failed english sexpat coming to take advantage of our pure han princesses

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
the issue with the 'americans are super truthful and straightforward' thing is what are you comparing it to

americans lie a fair bit, sure, but the things they lie about are generally relatively small things for social situations etc. there are tons of social cues you can invoke in the US and Canada to demand drop dead honesty and lots of examples people can point to in their own lives where ignoring those cues led to some repercussions that are best avoided. foreigners will likely not understand these social cues very well and as a result are more likely to get lied to, but most western societies have enough contact with foreigners that foreigners who DO invoke the appropriate social cues will get the benefit that natives get the supermajority of the time.

when you compare it to norms in many other cultures, this makes americans, canadians, brits, and scandinavians loving paragons of truth and bluntness. peruvians, argentinians, and brazilians lie to each other so routinely that their respective governments had to run goddamn public access campaigns on the value of truthfulness and how punctuality and reliability were the cornerstones of a proper economy. peru could quantify that it was losing 15% of its GDP per year because no motherfucker on the planet could be trusted when they gave a date for anything from a meeting to a delivery. even some dude you have known all your life cannot get a real answer out of you when you ask when a load of steel is showing up to the construction site or if you are meeting him to talk about the mccalley deal at lunch.

mainlanders easily rank up there with that level of deceit. one factory i worked with out there back when i did business in shenzen told me that sir, everything is fine with your order, we will be shipping it tomorrow morning, sir. i had already been burned by this motherfucker once so i called a friend of mine in the area and asked them to call the factory himself; he'd known the factory manager since he got into business as an interpreter 5 years back and had a supposedly great relationship with him. again, was told everything is fine. i still didn't trust the motherfucker and told my contact there i'd double his daily rate if he went out and did a site visit for me.

one hour later he sent me a picture showing how the loving loading area of the factory was charred black and mostly melted because there had been a fire earlier that week and no shipments had gone in or out for the last 4 days. no more were going out for at least another week, the damage was so bad. of course when i called up the factory and told them i'd caught them lying to me, they denied they'd ever said anything of the sort, EVEN WHEN I PLAYED THEIR VOICE FROM AN HOUR BEFORE BACK AT THEM IN THE SKYPE CALL. he simply claimed "i don't know who that is, but it isn't me, sir." it's one of the numerous reasons why i no longer do business in china.

i mean you can talk about how it's nice to hear that someone likes DOTA and extreme kayaking in the same breath or something but the idea that that relates to some level of valuable honesty is patently absurd. it's also not just a xeno thing. chinese people lie to each other constantly, about serious, serious poo poo. i dated one girl from a tiny village an hour west of beijing for a while and one of the things we broke up over was the fact that i donate blood to the red cross. you'd think this would be a really trivial thing but she was insanely creeped out by it, because of her distinct and powerful memories of local government officials piling into her village and demanding everyone donate a pint of blood. for accident victims in the city, they said. she got out of it because she was a little girl at the time, and thank gently caress she did because it was a completely illegal black market operation where the government officials stole the blood of the villagers and didn't even have the decency to sterilize their needles while they were doing with it. there was a loving AIDS epidemic in the village in the months after this blood raid because the officials were using dirty needles to draw the blood. she simply could not separate herself from that horrifying experience and broke up with me because she was absolutely loving positive i had some sort of bloodborne disease by now if i had donated 2 gallons of blood the way i said i did - because some government officials lied up and down and literally stole blood out of her family and friends' veins.

and we absolutely know that plenty of face-worshipping mainlander clods will lie about everything from their marriage prospects to their health from the stories in this very thread, so social lying is still at least as big a thing in china as it is in america.

it'd be nice if we lived in a world where you could take every word that came out of someone's mouth as canon gospel but that hasn't been the human experience literally ever. the loving epic of gilgamesh has people lying to each other up and down the road about seriously mortal poo poo. so yeah, if i have two people in a room, and one will lie to me about who they're loving and what they do on the weekend, and the other will lie to me about work, play, history, and what the sky looks like, i will absolutely consider the first person irreproachably honest, regardless of the fact that they're putting on a show.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Coolguye posted:

so yeah, if i have two people in a room, and one will lie to me about who they're loving and what they do on the weekend, and the other will lie to me about work, play, history, and what the sky looks like, i will absolutely consider the first person irreproachably honest, regardless of the fact that they're putting on a show.

:eyepop:

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Haier posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/blackpeoplegifs/comments/6qjiax/being_black_in_china/

I like the thread where people are saying Chinese learned from Americans how to be racist against black people, because China has no black people. It's no wonder we can't tell these dumb Millennials about our China experiences without the immediately resorting to "ur racist!!"

Their weirdness about skin color is domestic. But trust me, a lot of their views about black people are imported.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

:gowron:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I agree about the genuine thing. That is to say, that's it's near impossible to be a "sell out" in Asia. It overlaps with naivety and blandness but isn't always bad. Boy bands, video games, poodles, 3d manicures... it's okay if your hobby isn't intellectual or useful.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
eh, yeah there are some people who are super open, but then you come across all the issues with face

face is a loving plague

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
The most generous thing about China that I can say is that practically everyone is trying really hard if nothing else then to make money. In other 3rd world countries there's way more apathetic people who when confronted with a new situation just stop. In China you can trust that if you also try hard and long enough things eventually work out, just assume they're also trying to cheat you in every step.
We've had to shut down operations in countries like Philippines and Thailand because of that apathy just makes some business not possible but we'll probably continue in China as long as the country is stable.

Vesi fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Aug 1, 2017

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Woah, until you quoted my pop with another pop I didn't realize that gowron pop fires at a much faster rate than the standard eye pop.

This makes sense as Gowron basically looks like he's in the midst of an eyepop at all times.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
http://i.imgur.com/EzJ6rV1.gifv

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Baronjutter posted:

it's much more rare to meet people that don't generally follow the general dominant social norms?

Yep. There's an extreme emphasis on it. The corollary is on the occasion you do meet someone flouting the social norms in China it's almost always someone worth hanging out with.

I'm sure I've told this one before but one of my good students from a couple years back was asking me for advice once. She was being super mean to her boyfriend and felt bad about it. We eventually established that she knew exactly what was mean because it was bothering her too, so I suggested the simple solution: stop it. She's smart and self aware and knew what was going on, so it should be simple.

She explained that she couldn't, because she's from Sichuan. Sichuan people eat lots of peppers and so Sichuan women are famous for being "spicy", which means being overbearing and huge bitches in relationships. She's a very sweet girl and doesn't enjoy it at all, but she felt compelled to behave in a way that was completely out of character and damaging to herself and her relationship because it's the social norm. She didn't know what would happen to her if she didn't act like a Sichuanese woman is supposed to act.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
LMAO
http://www.wbur.org/commonhealth/2017/07/31/opium-boston-history

quote:

Thomas Handasyd Perkins, one of Boston's leading merchants, has been taking risks with shipments to China for nearly 40 years. But now, he may have gone too far.

Perkins drafts a letter to his nephew and business partner in the Chinese port city of Canton, now known as Guangzhou. The message is an apology and a warning: More than 150,000 pounds of Turkish opium is on its way.
Perkins and Co. was among the first -- if not the first -- American companies to establish a permanent trading office in Canton. With employees on the scene year-round, the firm can optimize profits on the drug — which is still legal in the United States, but illegal in China.

Company agents store chests filled with squash-size balls of opium in ships anchored offshore, to have some control over supply and price. They develop relationships with smugglers and corrupt top government officials. And they use boats manned by dozens of rowers to speed past inspectors, sneak up the coast, and deliver opium beyond the official port.

The business plan pays off again and again. On Jan. 11, 1827, one year after the apology, Perkins is back at his desk, writing another letter to his nephew. This time the tone is almost giddy.

"I have written and thought so much of opium that it gives me an opiate to enter upon the subject," Perkins tells Cushing.

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

but I always wonder about the levels of social diversity in China. From the stories people tell, it sounds much more homogenous than say north america, where it's much more rare to meet people that don't generally follow the general dominant social norms?

It starts at school, where you are literally punished for thinking different. There is one curriculum, taught country-wide, without variation and the whole education system is focused on the final year exam, a 4 day ordeal in which students are expected to regurgitate word-for-word whatever their textbooks said. A word out of place, and you're penalized. The correct answer is whatever is in the textbook. There is no room or resources for evaluating a critical analysis, persuasive essay, editorial piece, or deconstructing a text. The correct answer for each question was provided in your textbook somewhere in the last year, and you have to remember it, then write it down, word for word.

Combine this with subjects such as literature, history, political history and Chinese politics (all compulsory), and they have, possibly accidentally, invented an ideal method to stamp an orthodoxy into a generation. After that, it's much easier to reflexively recite whatever you were taught in school, than apply any critical thinking to a question. Eg. How many minorities does China have?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Every region of the earth has some sort of culture and some traits you can generalize and compare/contrast but I've never heard of things being so overbearing. That lady sounds like some theme park robot that can't quite break her programming but is struggling with being fully self-aware. That seems.. really weird and sad. But is this just an exteme case or the norm of what? I don't want this thread to paint me too an extreme picture of china.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

I'd buy these guys a drink.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Coolguye posted:

the issue with the 'americans are super truthful and straightforward' thing is what are you comparing it to

americans lie a fair bit, sure, but the things they lie about are generally relatively small things for social situations etc. there are tons of social cues you can invoke in the US and Canada to demand drop dead honesty and lots of examples people can point to in their own lives where ignoring those cues led to some repercussions that are best avoided. foreigners will likely not understand these social cues very well and as a result are more likely to get lied to, but most western societies have enough contact with foreigners that foreigners who DO invoke the appropriate social cues will get the benefit that natives get the supermajority of the time.

when you compare it to norms in many other cultures, this makes americans, canadians, brits, and scandinavians loving paragons of truth and bluntness. peruvians, argentinians, and brazilians lie to each other so routinely that their respective governments had to run goddamn public access campaigns on the value of truthfulness and how punctuality and reliability were the cornerstones of a proper economy. peru could quantify that it was losing 15% of its GDP per year because no motherfucker on the planet could be trusted when they gave a date for anything from a meeting to a delivery. even some dude you have known all your life cannot get a real answer out of you when you ask when a load of steel is showing up to the construction site or if you are meeting him to talk about the mccalley deal at lunch.

mainlanders easily rank up there with that level of deceit. one factory i worked with out there back when i did business in shenzen told me that sir, everything is fine with your order, we will be shipping it tomorrow morning, sir. i had already been burned by this motherfucker once so i called a friend of mine in the area and asked them to call the factory himself; he'd known the factory manager since he got into business as an interpreter 5 years back and had a supposedly great relationship with him. again, was told everything is fine. i still didn't trust the motherfucker and told my contact there i'd double his daily rate if he went out and did a site visit for me.

one hour later he sent me a picture showing how the loving loading area of the factory was charred black and mostly melted because there had been a fire earlier that week and no shipments had gone in or out for the last 4 days. no more were going out for at least another week, the damage was so bad. of course when i called up the factory and told them i'd caught them lying to me, they denied they'd ever said anything of the sort, EVEN WHEN I PLAYED THEIR VOICE FROM AN HOUR BEFORE BACK AT THEM IN THE SKYPE CALL. he simply claimed "i don't know who that is, but it isn't me, sir." it's one of the numerous reasons why i no longer do business in china.

i mean you can talk about how it's nice to hear that someone likes DOTA and extreme kayaking in the same breath or something but the idea that that relates to some level of valuable honesty is patently absurd. it's also not just a xeno thing. chinese people lie to each other constantly, about serious, serious poo poo. i dated one girl from a tiny village an hour west of beijing for a while and one of the things we broke up over was the fact that i donate blood to the red cross. you'd think this would be a really trivial thing but she was insanely creeped out by it, because of her distinct and powerful memories of local government officials piling into her village and demanding everyone donate a pint of blood. for accident victims in the city, they said. she got out of it because she was a little girl at the time, and thank gently caress she did because it was a completely illegal black market operation where the government officials stole the blood of the villagers and didn't even have the decency to sterilize their needles while they were doing with it. there was a loving AIDS epidemic in the village in the months after this blood raid because the officials were using dirty needles to draw the blood. she simply could not separate herself from that horrifying experience and broke up with me because she was absolutely loving positive i had some sort of bloodborne disease by now if i had donated 2 gallons of blood the way i said i did - because some government officials lied up and down and literally stole blood out of her family and friends' veins.

and we absolutely know that plenty of face-worshipping mainlander clods will lie about everything from their marriage prospects to their health from the stories in this very thread, so social lying is still at least as big a thing in china as it is in america.

it'd be nice if we lived in a world where you could take every word that came out of someone's mouth as canon gospel but that hasn't been the human experience literally ever. the loving epic of gilgamesh has people lying to each other up and down the road about seriously mortal poo poo. so yeah, if i have two people in a room, and one will lie to me about who they're loving and what they do on the weekend, and the other will lie to me about work, play, history, and what the sky looks like, i will absolutely consider the first person irreproachably honest, regardless of the fact that they're putting on a show.

:discourse:

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->
I think there is a coordinated anti-china campaign in the western media, they're just being selective about it. Do a search on google for "diamond league monaco usain bolt 2017" and you have plenty of results plus a few videos. Try a search on the Chinese men's team that won the 4x100m relay and beat out 2 American teams in the same event and you'll get practically nothing. Also, every time Sun Yang was mentioned in Australian media when he won a race or something, they'll keep bringing up his 3 month suspension and branding him a drug cheat over and over again. I mean, seriously?

Anti-news operate on either ignorance or negativity to antagonise a group or country, its only natural that people would fight back. Take for instance the case of the Canadian journalist who questioned the Chinese Foreign Minister at the time about human rights issues in a meeting that had nothing to do with the situation (it was a meeting in Canada), check out his amazing shutdown of that journalist :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qikBsQ1h4S8

His stance was right, China pulled over 600 million people out of poverty with low foundations to begin with. They would not have succeeded if they took on India, Philippines or Indonesian's approach using corruption or military, and they would not have succeeded if they were continuously distracted by trolls like this journalist.

Think about it, China does not have a media large enough to have an impact on the rest of the world let alone control it, only the countries that are heavily invested in the media do. You know who they are. I think all this is just a carefully planned effort to keep China in check and slow them down.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Fojar38 posted:

I think there is a coordinated anti-china campaign in the western media, they're just being selective about it. Do a search on google for "diamond league monaco usain bolt 2017" and you have plenty of results plus a few videos. Try a search on the Chinese men's team that won the 4x100m relay and beat out 2 American teams in the same event and you'll get practically nothing. Also, every time Sun Yang was mentioned in Australian media when he won a race or something, they'll keep bringing up his 3 month suspension and branding him a drug cheat over and over again. I mean, seriously?

Anti-news operate on either ignorance or negativity to antagonise a group or country, its only natural that people would fight back. Take for instance the case of the Canadian journalist who questioned the Chinese Foreign Minister at the time about human rights issues in a meeting that had nothing to do with the situation (it was a meeting in Canada), check out his amazing shutdown of that journalist :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qikBsQ1h4S8

His stance was right, China pulled over 600 million people out of poverty with low foundations to begin with. They would not have succeeded if they took on India, Philippines or Indonesian's approach using corruption or military, and they would not have succeeded if they were continuously distracted by trolls like this journalist.

Think about it, China does not have a media large enough to have an impact on the rest of the world let alone control it, only the countries that are heavily invested in the media do. You know who they are. I think all this is just a carefully planned effort to keep China in check and slow them down.

Makes you think

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->
personally i get a massive erection when i see a journalist shouted down by an authoritarian regime in a democratic country

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

This is all true btw.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

I find this really refreshing, and I find that Chinese people don't judge everything else about you if you admit to having a hobby that isn't cool or doesn't meet some imagined standard of normalcy.
I will argue that presenting yourself as "cool" in China is totally different, and that means "showing I have money by having name brand poo poo." That is how you are cool in China, and you want to flaunt it at every chance. You can't be cool with a Xiao Mi phone. You can't be cool with Li-Ning clothes. You need Apple, Adidas, Nike, name brand. It's all that retarded high school poo poo nationwide.

I also don't agree with the goony habits example. Gamers are exactly like elsewhere: Gross. Women see mobile phone games as okay because everyone has a phone, but those DOTA players are still weird, and we all know they still come with the same unwashed weird habits gamers are known for. Guys across the world generally have no problem telling other guys they like games, but women and families/parents tend to think it's lame. When I got my new computer recently, I quickly found out how lame it is to tell them I like playing games now, even though it's non-spergy stuff like GTA5.

I've found Mainlanders just see me as a foreigner, and want to chat in English or hang out, learn something, but in the end they know I will leave here and take me as temporary in their life. I am a good deal to take as much advantage of until the deal ends (moves away). Getting social credit to have a foreigner join at a party or meeting is just one facet of face and being seen as cool. A foreign friend is like the ultimate name brand. A foreign partner more so, to an extent. I found Japanese people to be so superficial about this that it was one of the reasons I stopped making friends with them. Mainlanders are a bit more simple, but very few seem to be interested in maintaining anything long-term. They want to get what they want out of you, and will dump you once they got that or you move on in your life. Goons who Chinese in-laws now don't count.
These people will abandon foreigners like flies the moment they can. They drop each other quickly, but double the strength on foreigners. Making friends here is a joke, because very few have any interest to maintain friendship long term. The very few that have remained on long-term all disappeared completely after a while, usually without any notice, and full refusal to reply to any messages or calls. If they haven't, they are one small disagreement away from dumping you forever, or ghosting until you give up.

I am sure some things are different with Chinese people but, like most places, once they are a few years out of university and those childhood friends are all spread out, the only people they know are their coworkers, and they don't value them too much. Mainland culture makes them desperate to take advantage of something as fast as possible, but the culture also puts it in their head to drop it as soon as it is not as useful as it was previously. Every decision is based on culture, nationalism, bad education, and mysterious advice some old poo poo head gave them, and the majority see the world in this lens.

Everyone wants the next best "get rich quick" scheme, even the social versions of that. They do business quickly, make friends quickly, marry quickly, and then burn out harder than anyone knew they could. If they didn't do that, it wouldn't be China. Going fast and then not preparing for a huge crash is the epitome of everything Mainland, and social things are no exception.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Sexpat 性交旅行者

2016-07-22 20:53阅读:663

Author: Ethen (作者)
Translator: Alva Deng (翻译)
July 22, 2016
The First Time I Met a Sexpat
(For readers who are unfamiliar: sexpat is very similar in meaning to 性交旅游者)
I was probably about one year into learning Chinese, having started in 2010.
At this point I was going to weekly lessons on Saturday mornings. One day, when I came into class, my teacher told us that we had a new student! I didn't mind having new students, because actually we only had 3-4 students in our class at any given time. His name was Peter (not his real name). He was an Australian man, in his 50's, and overall a pretty unremarkable, overweight older guy.
当时我的中文课在周六的早晨。有一天,当我去到班级,老师告诉我们新来了一位同学!在仅有三四个学生的班级里,我不介意再多一个。他叫peter(不是真名),一个五十多岁的澳洲老男人,一个长相平凡的胖子。
Now, Peter introduced himself to us and revealed he had lived in China for five years, where he had taught English. “Five years!” I thought. “And he even taught English there! His Chinese must be pretty good. After being there for so long he shouldn't need lessons. But maybe I can learn something from him.” I knew that people living away from their home countries are usually prepared to work harder than others. This is often called “Immigrant mentality”. After all, my Chinese dad is like that.
现在,peter做了自我介绍,告诉我们他曾经在中国生活过5年,并且在那里教授英语。“五年!还教英语!?我觉得如此一来他的中文肯定很好了,在当地生活了那么久他应该也不需要再上中文课了吧?也许我可以向他讨教一下。”我知道那些远离家乡到别的地方生活的人,一般都会比其他人更努力的去工作。这经常被称为“移民心态”。起码我的中国父亲是这样的。
But when I actually heard him speak, I was surprised: “This guy's chinese is hardly better than mine, and he says he lived there for five years! How did his students learn anything from him?” I was confused but I didn't say anything, as he seemed like a rather inoffensive guy, simply with an interest in the language and culture. At this time, I still believed that most people had good intentions in their heart, so I had no reason to assume the worst about him.
但是当他开口讲中文的时候,我大吃一惊:“天哪这个人的中文比我好不到哪里去吧?他居然还说他在那里生活过五年?他的学生能从他身上学到什么东西啊?” 我感到很困惑,但是并没有多说什么,毕竟他看上去也不是什么坏人,只是一个对语言和文化感兴趣的人罢了。这个时候,我仍然相信大多数人都是善良的,所以我并没有把他往负面的方向去想。
He would often bring up random topics which had very little connection to the lesson being taught. Which was kind of distracting, but not a major issue. But then, he went into a topic that was completely inappropriate. Without any of us asking, he started talking about his failed search for a Chinese girlfriend. According to him, the last time he was in China, he had fallen in love with a girl he met there. Apparently, being blinded by love he brought her back home to Australia.
他经常无端端在课上插入一些和课程毫不相关的话题。这让课堂有点跑偏,罢了这也不是什么大问题。但是,后来他突然谈到他寻找中国女友的失败经历。他说最上一次他在中国,爱上了一个中国姑娘。显然,被爱情冲昏了头脑,他把她带回了澳大利亚。
But at this point the romance had dissipated. Upon arriving here, she started working in a massage parlour. The kind where if you pay extra, they will perform illegal services (no, this isn't an embellishment on my part, he mentioned the illegal nature of her work). After discovering this, he “very reasonably” askedher to stop. She refused. He had to let her go, cutting their relationship, and this anecdote suddenly short.
但是回到澳大利亚之后,爱情的浪漫开始退减,她开始在按摩房工作,那些只要你额外付多点钱便能享受特殊服务的按摩房(原话,这就是他如何描述这份工作的)。发现了这个之后,他“合情合理地”要求她停止工作。她拒绝了,他必须让她走,和她分手,这件无厘头的事就这样结束了。
Obviously he was trying to make us feel sorry for him. From his point of view, she had used him to obtain Australian residency, betraying his love and trust. But where do you meet people like that? It is not normal for women to be attracted to that line of work. To me, it sounds like he was visiting prositutes in China. While the story itself is quite nauseating, and I feel kind of dirty for retelling it, I do have material for this article. And the next time you see a person like this you will know what they are thinking.
很显然他在这里博同情。从他的角度来说,那个中国女生只是在利用他换取澳洲国籍,辜负了他的爱和信任。但是你能遇到这样的人吗?对于一个女生来说,没有谁会真心乐意去从事这样的工作吧?这个故事起给我感觉就像他在中国逛窑子!真的让人想吐,就连复述的这个过程我都觉得脏,对于这篇文章我还有实质证据,下一次你们看到这种人就会知道他想干嘛了。
Why did he need to find a girlfriend in China, couldn't he find one in Australia? Having encountered many more of his kind, I now know the reason why; this man was a western sexpat.
为什么他要在中国找一个女朋友而不是在澳洲本地找呢?对于这种人我见多了,我知道为什么,这个人就是所谓的性交旅游者。
Unlike most people who go to another country, many foreigners coming to China/Asia from the West seem to come for all the wrong reasons. They mostly look for jobs teaching English because they can't do anything else (arguably they can't teach English properly either). And they get hired because they are from the West and for the colour of their skin. Strangely, this is despite the fact that they can hardly speak the local language.
不同于大多数到其它国家打拼的人,很多西方人到中国或者亚洲去大都出于一些不好的意图。他们一般都会去教英语(因为他们除了干这个什么以外都不会了,更不论他们是否够资格教英语)。他们能够找到工作也只是以为他们是西方人或者有着一张白人的脸。奇怪的是,他们几乎都不会说当地的语言。
Fortunately for us, Peter transferred to another classtime. He still had the same teacher as us, who would tell us about how he was progressing in that class. Now, Peter may have willingly brought a prostitute home to marryhim, but I must give him credit for trying to keep up appearances. To show my teacher his commendable work ethic and appreciation of Chinese history, he would often quote the famous words of Chairman Mao: “hǎo hǎo xué xí, tiān tiān xiàng shàng1”. However I don't think it worked, because she actually became very angry with him as he would say it multiple times per lesson.
我们很幸运,因为peter到别的班上去了。但是教我们的老师也教他的那个班,从老师口中我们得知他学习中文进步还挺大的。peter也许乐意娶一个妓女回家,但是我还是得给他加一分,因为他还是挺注意自己的仪表的。为了向老师他的职业道德和对中国历史的欣赏,他会经常引用毛主席的名言“好好学习,天天向上。”然而我并不认为老师买他这张讨赏的行为,当peter不断重复这句话时,她通常会变得很生气。
Not too long after, he told my teacher he was going to go back to China, with the goal of finding another Chinese girlfriend. Given how little time had passed, I doubt his Chinese had improved tremendously since the last time we had met. In the end, she politely wished him good luck. I can only speculate on his whereabouts now. It makes me wonder how losers like this can fin

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Hey Fojar38

You're right, there is a collective group that actively works to keep China mocked and down on the world stage

It's China

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Why did he need to find a girlfriend in China, couldn't he find one in Australia?
Replace Australia with the US, and I have been asked this question so many drat times on Tantan. "Why would you want a Chinese girl? Why not find your own people? We have different cultures!" I have talked to some completely baffled women that refuse to believe it's possible that I would want to know any Chinese people when I have a whole country full of "my own" people, or expats right here in China to talk with.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Coolguye posted:

:agreed:

LOL at your factory experience. Even my factory-dealing local friends have unlimited of experiences like that, and some can't understand why China has to be this way.
I was talking about this yesterday with Chaoshan Girl, how it's all just "GIVE ME MONEY AND GO AWAY FOREVER, rear end in a top hat!" where repeat business and maintaining contacts are utterly useless. Just do everything as fast possible until the money is in your hand, and then forget about everything else (much like how they handle everything here). It came up because she had a repeat Americans customer that she quoted a certain price per part, and then while researching and walking around the electronics market, she found the same part for $25 less per part than her original quote. She said she refused to sell it to him at the original quote, because she felt it was really bad karma for her future life if she cheated this guy out many thousands of dollars, and she changed her quote to only make about $2 profit per piece on the order. "I only needed to work for a short time to fulfill this order, why should I get more money to do it?" I was making fun of her for not being Mainland enough, because every other person here would keep that $30 profit per piece. I think it's hilarious that Hindu and Buddhist philosophy was how she began learning moral values that her family and culture never taught her.

EDIT: Chaoshan Girl's brother works the same job (self-owned electronics wholesale business). He's a workaholic, and definitely makes over $100k USD per year, and probably much more. Every time I hear about him, he's doing some outrageous deal and pulling in loads of profit, and the amounts seem to get higher every time. One of his deals paid his rent for a full year, with his apartment being right there overlooking the main walkway of Huaqiang Bei. Anyway, I realized he is just doing what she didn't want to do, which is make a high quote and then get some friends to make it for very little and then keep the difference. CG would have made about $6000 USD profit on that one deal had she not changed her quote. Her brother is purestrain Chaoshan garbage human being, made of greed and cigarettes. He has all the traditional values in his mind about women, and won't even hold his son because that's a woman's job. He's only 24, and got married when he was 21, the girl being like 17 or 18 at the time. They are currently getting a divorce because she doesn't want sex as much as he does, and he needs a woman that can gently caress. Their dad did the same thing to two of his previous wives until meeting CG's mom. Chaoshan culture is garbage, and it's a pity they are the people in control of electronics industry in Shenzhen.

I worked with a Brazilian and a Peruvian at the same time. The Peruvian was so late for everything that he got fired. The Brazilian guy spoke Spanish too, and would always tell him "Dude, you're going to get fired if you keep this up," and try to give him peptalks that us English-havers wouldn't understand, so he wouldn't get embarrassed. The Peruvian guy kept saying "Why are people upset about this? I don't get it. This is not a problem."

Haier fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Aug 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

he would often quote the famous words of Chairman Mao: “hǎo hǎo xué xí, tiān tiān xiàng shàng1”

crazy, that's totally what I was thinking

• Locked thread